07/01/2011, 07:35 AM
Now that you all (hopefully) have a HP TouchPad. Let's keep track of bugs and issues we are seeing. I have used the info from the Veer bug list that berdinkerdickle created (with some minor updates).
Tips for recording a great bug
Proper identification of a bug is the most important thing when it comes to reporting a bug. If something happens only once is it really a bug? It’s also important to be able to know the different between expected behavior and unexpected behavior, sometimes things we perceive are bugs are not bugs at all, however when it doubt assume it’s a bug.
Take all other factors out of the equation. Although preware is likely not the issue, it’s best to ensure a bug continues to appear with no software that could interfere
Others rely on what you say is a bug to attempt to replicate, and verify that it is a bug. Be descriptive, make sure you list enough information for someone else to come behind you and know exactly what you are talking about.
So you found a bug and you have isolated, now it’s time to replicate. It’s important to replicate the bug so you can document exact steps it takes to reproduce the bug. This is key for further testing.
Once you have replicated that is a bug verify, post it in the forums and let others attempt to make sure they see what you see, as others post bugs you can do the same.
Other key tips when filing your bug
1. Make your bug the first thing people see. The first line of your post should be the bug you have experienced.
2. Don’t write a wall of text. If there is a giant wall of text most people are just going to pass it by. Bullet list if possible.
3. Make sense and use proper grammar. That’s not to say that we should all be 100 percent perfect English, but someone coming behind you shouldn’t have a hard time reading what you wrote.
4. Document, document, document. While avoiding number 2 you want to document as much information as you can
5. Include a screen shot if possible.
Questions to answer
The following questions are questions you can easily answer that are going to help discern as much as possible what the bug is.
1. Give a brief description of what happened.
2. Do you receive any error messages?
3. What are the expected results?
4. What application exhibits the symptom?
5. What account does the symptom appear in? (e.g. Facebook, Google etc)
6. Have you downloaded an application outside of the App Catalog?
a. If so, what application and where from?
7. What are you doing when the issue happens?
8. When did the symptom first appear?
9. How frequently does the symptom occur?
10. Can you tie the issue back to a specific action or does it appear to be random?
11. Can you effectively replicate the issue?
. List exact steps to replicate issue
12. Is something else involved besides the webOS device? (e.g. Accessory/Computer/Wireless router)
. Manufacturer :
a. Model Number:
b. Version / Revision:
13. Can HP contact you for further questions and or log files? (yes or no)***
***Further communication with HP would likely be through the private message feature in Precentral unless otherwise noted.