Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree41Likes
    HUGE BUG: after using the TP for a while, Just Type seems to stop working properly.

Example: I have Preware installed, yet typing in "preware" yields nothing. I also have "Precentral Forums" added to the launcher, yet typing in "pre" shows neither the Preware app nor the Precentral Forums web page.

This bug happens pretty frequently. Anyone else notice similar behaviors when using Just Type?
    That's the message I get every time I disconnect my TP from my laptop. I always eject the TP from my laptop first just the USB eject...wait a while and then disconnect the TP via the USB cable. Doesn't matter how long I wait it seems that when I eject the TP under windows the TP never recognises this so it thinks that I just yanked the USB cable!
    Quote Originally Posted by greenxxmachine View Post
    Problem with connecting to a wifi service that has one of those auto-connect webpages wehre you have to "accept" the terms of use. The browser won't automatically pull up that page, which then won't allow me to get data (example- ATT wifi at Starbucks). Tried hard and soft resets, and still no go.
    This is known as a captive portal. At the top of your device you should see a notification. Tapping on that notification will take you to the page so you can login.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    72 Global Posts
    Had to order a new USB cord. Mine doesn't charge half the time and doesn't seem to respond to USB "eject" commands from my computer. Seems to be more than just a short in the cord as the TP senses it's connected to a power source, but says I am not getting enough power to charge. Thankfully my Pre cord works like a charm so I'm OK until my replacement arrives.
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveInFL View Post
    That's the message I get every time I disconnect my TP from my laptop. I always eject the TP from my laptop first just the USB eject...wait a while and then disconnect the TP via the USB cable. Doesn't matter how long I wait it seems that when I eject the TP under windows the TP never recognises this so it thinks that I just yanked the USB cable!
    I'm getting that too.

Another weirdness:

How about the weird side-scrolling on the web browser? Even if the page has no content or anything on the sides, scrolling the window up and down is still very uneven. Hope this makes sense.
    Cyberiian likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Filjosh View Post
    hp Play did the trick, connected to mac opened hp play and as soon as detected songs I disconnected touch pad and songs were there
    Wow, do I feel stupid. For whatever reason, I thought the HP Play app would sync te songs to the cloud and the TouchPad would "automagically" get the songs. I have this on my Android phone, and since HP was reported as putting something like this together, it seemed reasonable.

Thanks!
    Navigate to "my computer" or "computer" and right click on the TouchPad drive and disconnect that way.
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I can confirm that setting the "autoload flash" setting does not work.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    Folks,
    please see if you experience the same issue:

* try to load CastTV Video Search
    * See crash at 4/5 to 7/8 of page load progress (device resets/restarts)
    * fully repeatable over and over.

I have a 32 GB HPad (grin) and though I DO have some video flash issues (took me some time to get the Russell Brand video to play in FRONT of the PreCentral window rather than BEHIND it, so I could see the darn thing...,, this is the first actual CRASH I've seen.

Seems MY TouchPad IS scared of the whole web, or this tiny part of it: CastTV Video Search, now owned (Dec 2010) by Tribune Media Services (so, IOW, it's now mainstream, and not some fly-by-night operation posting copyright infringed works (like all those other online video sources You know about...)

See if you can duplicate. Simply try to load the homepage-- I've tried CastTV Video Search directly entered; I've tried clicking the link to homepage from Google results, etc. -- it always resets the TouchPad when about 5/6 done loading the page or so.

Mike

fwiw, i've tried this both WITH OpenDNS active on the NETGEAR router, and WITHOUT it enabled...same results.
    __
    Michael Compeau
    Red Zen Marketing . posterous . com
    Quote Originally Posted by AeroJim View Post
    " when scrolling in the browser upwards, starting on the right downside of the screen the browser colapses and and goes out on top of screen !! I dont even come close to the button that is there to minimize the app."

I confirmed this one... When you scroll up, with your finger near the right edge (regardless of orientation) and your finger slides off to the right the browser will go to card view. I'm almost willing to call this a "feature" or "advanced gesture". I could see it being a problem if you've got a natural hook to you scrolling finger.
    it happens in more apps, the app catalogue and mail for example . and not only on the right corner: wipe upwards fast two times anywhere on the lower edge of the screen.

" when scrolling in the browser upwards, starting on the right downside of the screen the browser colapses and and goes out on top of screen !! I dont even come close to the button that is there to minimize the app."

I confirmed this one... When you scroll up, with your finger near the right edge (regardless of orientation) and your finger slides off to the right the browser will go to card view. I'm almost willing to call this a "feature" or "advanced gesture". I could see it being a problem if you've got a natural hook to you scrolling finger.

" when opening full screen mode in youtube the picture turns upside down and stays that way"

The TP wants you to have it in landscape with the button to the right. For non-fullscreen viewing, it will rotate itself. So of you are browsing YouTube with the button on your left, opening full-screen will show upside down.
    Interesting idea, but wy aren´t they communicating it right away ???

"

"- the browser doesn´t allow to have a startpage"

My Pre is the same way... I haven't tried yet, but I believe you can create a web page icon for a specific address and place it on your launcher or quick access bar... Check the Pre tips and tricks. This is a great way to create a home page.
    that doesn´t work on the tp. the icons won´t move anywhere, no matter how long my finger is on it

"
    "keyboard is changing design when setting up email accounts. the @ is not an own button anymore but shift3."

When WebOS thinks you'll need the @ it places it next to the space bar, like when your in a field that is expecting an e-mail address... At least it does on mine
    setting up a email account is the one and only place where you FOR SURE will need the @ , and its the place where the sign goes away....i dont want any dynamics in my keyboard.
    and also i would like the keyboard not to cover the field that i need to fill in on any app. that happens with the xl keyboard

"

"-the touchstone doesn´t work with the bag and also not with the device"

If you were expecting your Pre touchstone to work, I really feel sorry for you.
    no i wasn´t

"- the device looses incredible 43 % of battery power through the night, laying on the table here. nobody is using it. "

I got 10 hrs straight yesterday from full charge to %20, with a lot of use. A little faster draw today, but I paired my Pre with it, which will probably lose battery before the TP does. All the normal rules apply: did you leave the Bluetooth on? Does it have a good WiFi signal? Was an access hungry app running in the background? This and more can kill the battery performance. I, for one, am very impressed.

none of all of it. i am impressed as well, just not quite the same way

"the booklet says you can change the background picture. it doesn´t say anything about how....."

Launcher, Settings tab (or flick to the left), Screen and Lock. Haven't found a shortcut for putting a picture on the background from the Photos app. I think there's already a wallpaper app in the catalog.
    found it: there is a box in the picture app containing wallpapers. you have to put the picture in there and choose it....and find out it won´t be scaled to the screen size

I disagree with your sentiment... I didn't expect perfection on day 1 (I expected worse than this, actually), if it had been important, like a small business getting 1 for each employee to be productive with, I'd be ****ed, but I would have waited at least three months (when Kindle, touch to share, SMS msg via Pre 3 and Veer, full docs to go, etc are up and running)

I'm happy so far and expect better in the future.
    If HP wants to compare with the ipad it must deliver quality. this device is very far from quality. apple products are again not only another league they are another sport when it comes to this point.
    it was HP´s announcement they want to beat apple. What a laugh. seeing this product and the communcation and service around it, i can understand why their shares have plummed almost 40 % this year. just too bad I have em as well......almost unbelieveable that they realize 8b$ cashflow a year....most of it must indeed be on printer inkt.
    When tracking flights at www.flightstats.com the browser seems to download gif files to the disk every time a new page loads. It brings up the downloads bar and shows a pixel.gif file downloaded.

I have to go into the filesystem and wipe out all of these files out.

This can be reproduced by going to www.flightstats.com and entering in a flight number to track. Each time a new page loads, a gif file is downloaded onto the disk.
    Tapping on the artist/song name in the music player notification pulldown does not switch to the music app automatically. The user must switch to the music player card manually.

I expect this to switch to the music app, similar to how the phones work.
    Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    Every now and then I notice that the launcher pages don't change with a side swipe, and I have to manually change them by pressing the launcher tabs.

Anyone else noticing this as well?
    yes I have the same issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Navigate to "my computer" or "computer" and right click on the TouchPad drive and disconnect that way.
    Thanks, that does work
    Quote Originally Posted by khe05 View Post
    doesn´t work on the tp. the icons won´t move anywhere, no matter how long my finger is on it
    setting up a email account is the one and only place where you FOR SURE will need the @ , and its the place where the sign goes away....i dont want any dynamics in my keyboard.
    and also i would like the keyboard not to cover the field that i need to fill in on any app. that happens with the xl keyboard
    I'm not having any issues with dragging icons... With the Launcher open I tap and hold an icon for about 2 seconds and all icons will change to have an 'x' in the corner and are drag-able. Dragging on and off the quick launch bar is also fine. There's a limit of 5 icons in the quick launch bar, so you need to drag one off first if you don't have an open slot.

I don't have the same issues with the keyboard. When I go to email and go to preferences and accounts, select new account, with the cursor in the e-mail address box I have the @ symbol on my keyboard next to the space bar. When I select the password it goes away.

Keyboard size: Hmmm, I don't have an XL keyboard, just 'L'... Large Kb will cove a lot of real estate when in landscape, so I only use it in portrait mode. (but I'm one of those people that liked the tiny Pre Kb )

I'm not sure what I'm doing 'right' but I haven't had any real bugs (re-boots, malfunctions, locks, etc)... My TP has been up and running since initial setup, my 1.4.5 profile loaded fine (some apps didn't come down), and I haven't re-booted yet! I'm almost afraid too! There's certainly a few minor issues, but nothing that I can't work around or can't blame on my own errors. There have been a few negative surprises {"what do you mean it won't do <blank>, I paid $657 for this thing!"} but that's the nature of exploring the limits of the device and the OS, and a lot of it is tempered by what it can do. If I could get my employer to get me VPN access for my TP and a wifi connection, I'd be in connectivity heaven!

Oh, on "wallpapers"... If you tap and hold a picture in a web page you get an option to set that picture as wallpaper. Found this by accident this morning!
    TANSTAAFL!
    I've had the same experience as AeroJim. It's not perfect, but will be quite useful for my perceived needs.

By the time my full upgrade for my phone hits in November I'm guessing it should be well sorted and I'll be chomping at the bit for a pre3.
    I'm not having any issues with dragging icons... With the Launcher open I tap and hold an icon for about 2 seconds and all icons will change to have an 'x' in the corner and are drag-able. Dragging on and off the quick launch bar is also fine. There's a limit of 5 icons in the quick launch bar, so you need to drag one off first if you don't have an open slot.

I don't have the same issues with the keyboard. When I go to email and go to preferences and accounts, select new account, with the cursor in the e-mail address box I have the @ symbol on my keyboard next to the space bar. When I select the password it goes away.

Keyboard size: Hmmm, I don't have an XL keyboard, just 'L'... Large Kb will cove a lot of real estate when in landscape, so I only use it in portrait mode. (but I'm one of those people that liked the tiny Pre Kb )

I'm not sure what I'm doing 'right' but I haven't had any real bugs (re-boots, malfunctions, locks, etc)... My TP has been up and running since initial setup, my 1.4.5 profile loaded fine (some apps didn't come down), and I haven't re-booted yet! I'm almost afraid too! There's certainly a few minor issues, but nothing that I can't work around or can't blame on my own errors. There have been a few negative surprises {"what do you mean it won't do <blank>, I paid $657 for this thing!"} but that's the nature of exploring the limits of the device and the OS, and a lot of it is tempered by what it can do. If I could get my employer to get me VPN access for my TP and a wifi connection, I'd be in connectivity heaven!

Oh, on "wallpapers"... If you tap and hold a picture in a web page you get an option to set that picture as wallpaper. Found this by accident this morning!
    I have had a similar quality experience so far. My TP has been stable and functional since its first boot and nearly everything from my 1.4.5 profile transferred when I first setup the device. My only complaints would be the lack of vnc and that sometimes the browser hangs while loading. That second issue may relate more to my router though, so as I test it at new locations i'll see and report back.
    I use a Macbook Pro with Roxio Toast Titanium 10 to convert my recordings to watchable videos. Unfortunately, it looks like the conversion process creates Anamorphic Strict videos that don't scale well on the Touchpad, but scale just fine on the Ipad 2. I can use Handbrake to then convert the video and set it to Anamorphic None in the Picture Settings. Once I do that, the video scales correctly on the Touchpad.

Reproducible Steps:
    1. Use Tivo Transfer to transfer a video from the Tivo Box to my Macbook Pro.
    2. Open up the video in Toast Titanium 10 and convert it using the Ipad/Iphone profile. This converts the 1920x1080 video to a 640x480 video (h.264/aac), with Anamorphic Strict type. The dimensions because of the Anamorphic Strict type show up as 852x480 when you do "Get Info" on the output file.
    3. Transfer the video to the Touchpad and try to play it
    4. The video will look very skinny because the Touchpad tries to scale the video to the screen.
    5. Tapping on the scale button next to the slider results in a brief flash/refresh, but no perceptible changes in the video.
    6. Convert the video using Handbrake and go into Picture Settings and set Anamorphic to None. The outputted video shows up as 640x352 in the Dimensions of "Get Info".
    7. Transfer the new video to Touchpad and the scaling button now works perfectly, just like on the iPad2.
    Same issue here.
    NiceGPSuperior1 is a free GPS program, now with the ability to save your map! Get more info here. It's free! If you like this app and want to encourage development, you can donate from the web page link.

NiceDrudgeReader is a fast, simple reader for The Drudge Report. It is only $0.99, so check it out, too! More info here.

Search for "Nice" in the app catalog to see all my apps.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller View Post
    Same issue here.
    Do as someone else suggested (works for me) and right click on the HP TOUCHPAD drive in windows explorer and click on Eject.
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 123456789 14 ... LastLast