Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    So - I bought at TouchPad yesterday (6/30/11) - I was one of the lucky ones that scored one early at a local Best Buy (Worcester, MA). I bought this on an impulse, I'm a launch day Pre- user (still have original Pre). As soon as I bought the TP I ran to my car, fired up freetether and logged into the TP. Things went well, my impressions of the device were all positive. Everything on that device is well thought out, and just needs a few tweaks to make it stellar.

The reason I am returning it is because I am finding it really hard to justify the cost of the thing ($637 including tax for the 32gb model - and yeah, I would have used the $50 rebate too, had I kept it). I played with it all evening, and it was awesome - but I have a perfectly good working laptop that'll connect to the internet while on the go (through freetether on my Pre-) and I just can't part with that kind of money for a Tablet that can't completely replace my laptop. I use my laptop for picture storage, document creation and movie creation - which is hard on a tablet (no SD slot, no movie editor, and no doc editor). I'm sure these things will come in time - but I just can't justify the cost right now. Even if there were apps for all of those things, and an SD slot - I would still probably wait a few more years before I jump into the Tablet market. Don't get me wrong, this thing is awesome - and if I had more spare change lying around - I probably would have kept it. But, I have a 14 moth old baby, a mortgage, and a stay-at-home wife - it's not easy parting with over $600 for a toy. I will always continue to support WebOS and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that Sprint Pre3 , if I don't see one on the horizon, and my Pre- fails me, I'll probably graduate to a Franken Pre2... if I can figure that one out.

UPDATE: I updated the title - as it was misleading, many people probably thought I was returning it due to bad reasons. I did buy this on an impulse, although I've been following webOS since June 2009, I hadn't fully committed myself to being OK with spending $600+ on the TP, I went out and bought one yesterday just because people were having luck at BestBuys getting it a day early - it was a damn good trial experience, and I wish I had more money, but I'm sure I'll have one of these in "the coming years".
    Last edited by slivkjs; 07/01/2011 at 08:31 AM. Reason: replies made me realize I should change the title of this post.
    nyquistjack and iverieli like this.
    Sad to hear. Sounds like you have a personal situation that needs more attention and resources than the TouchPad.

But I dont think a tablet has ever been designed to replace a laptop. Can you answer one thing though...did you log into the TP with the same Palm Profile as your Pre-? And does your Pre- run 1.4.5? Any problems?
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    So - I bought at TouchPad yesterday (6/30/11) - I was one of the lucky ones that scored one early at a local Best Buy (Worcester, MA). I bought this on an impulse, I'm a launch day Pre- user (still have original Pre). As soon as I bought the TP I ran to my car, fired up freetether and logged into the TP. Things went well, my impressions of the device were all positive. Everything on that device is well thought out, and just needs a few tweaks to make it stellar.

The reason I am returning it is because I am finding it really hard to justify the cost of the thing ($637 including tax for the 32gb model - and yeah, I would have used the $50 rebate too, had I kept it). I played with it all evening, and it was awesome - but I have a perfectly good working laptop that'll connect to the internet while on the go (through freetether on my Pre-) and I just can't part with that kind of money for a Tablet that can't completely replace my laptop. I use my laptop for picture storage, document creation and movie creation - which is hard on a tablet (no SD slot, no movie editor, and no doc editor). I'm sure these things will come in time - but I just can't justify the cost right now. Even if there were apps for all of those things, and an SD slot - I would still probably wait a few more years before I jump into the Tablet market. Don't get me wrong, this thing is awesome - and if I had more spare change lying around - I probably would have kept it. But, I have a 14 moth old baby, a mortgage, and a stay-at-home wife - it's not easy parting with over $600 for a toy. I will always continue to support WebOS and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that Sprint Pre3 , if I don't see one on the horizon, and my Pre- fails me, I'll probably graduate to a Franken Pre2... if I can figure that one out.
    Makes a lot of sense. Glad you tried it for yourself and then make the good decision for you and your family. Device prices will go down and probably sooner than you think (just like with the ipad1).
    So basically you returned your TouchPad because it doesn't fit you lifestyle. I think that's fair enough.

Can't wait until the haters get in here and be like "OMFG SEE, IT'S TERRIBLE EVEN FANS DON'T WANT IT" without reading your post.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Cant blame ya, it is expensive stuff, without corresponding functionable value at this time.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    this is exactly what my dilema is too. I have a very good HP 17 inch pavillion right now, and though I know the touchpad cannot replace a PC or laptop (any tablet at that currently), My question is should I do exactly that sell my laptop for a tablet. I need basic things on a tablet for what I use in paticular which is doing prerecording for songs I do for my music label, be able to convert music files if needed, maybe a HDMI out since the screen is only 10 inches or so. Though I was thinking of selling my laptop getting the touchpad, then purchasing a low end laptop in reality paying only a additional 150 dollars, but then would that be smart. Im glad you wrote this, because Im sure alot of people like you and me are considering the fact that a tablet right now in its current stage with all compaines cannot replace a full working PC. I guess we will have to wait and see, and with the teardown done a few days ago they did reveal the touchpad is built like a PC not a tablet (which im not exactly sure what that means completly) but im assuming hopefully maybe in a year or so maybe tablets will bridge the gap, and really offer itself as a laptop/PC alternative. Great write OP.
    Congrats OP on probably being the owner of the first returned TP in recorded history.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Congrats OP on probably being the owner of the first returned TP in recorded history.
    Hp, give the guy one for free! Its historical! Hehe

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    I don't know how people can just buy one of these 'on impulse'.

Um Hello? Launch day customer who's been following this product's news.

I know I won't be buying the touchpad as it doesn't interests me. On the other hand, I can confidently walk to a store and purchase the Pre 3 as I've been following it since it was announced.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatfool View Post
    I don't know how people can just buy one of these 'on impulse'.

Um Hello? Launch day customer who's been following this product's news.

I know I won't be buying the touchpad as it doesn't interests me. On the other hand, I can confidently walk to a store and purchase the Pre 3 as I've been following it since it was announced.
    He didn't really buy it. He just placed a $637 deposit on it for a day.
    BMIC50 likes this.
    Global Posts
    824 Global Posts

I completely agree w/ you not needing a TouchPad for your situtation... It is quite an expensive toy...& if someone doesn't need one (or can't afford to have one to play with), they shouldn't get one.
    Hope to see you with a Pre 3 soon...

(I just wish you didn't have to go through the process, since that tPad will be a refurb already... Costly for HP.)
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    Like the OP, all this talk and excitement about the Touchpad makes me want to get one. And I will probably go to Wally World today and try it out. But I have a nice computer at home, a nice notebook for work and a Pre2. Why do I really need to spend $500-600 for a Touchpad? Yeah, I'd love to have one to play with, but I need to spend my money on other things. But, I hope a lot of you buy it because I want to see HP and WebOS do well!!
    Worcester, MA! That's like 8 mins away! =D

Too bad you can't afford it. =| I can't afford it this very second either but I'll be getting one as soon as I can.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I was worried when first seeing the thread title but after reading it.I can understand where you are coming from concerning the price. I'm glad that you did enjoy it.Thanks for posting this and being honest.It's so much negativity going on around here.
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Sad to hear. Sounds like you have a personal situation that needs more attention and resources than the TouchPad.

But I dont think a tablet has ever been designed to replace a laptop. Can you answer one thing though...did you log into the TP with the same Palm Profile as your Pre-? And does your Pre- run 1.4.5? Any problems?
    Loading up my Pre- 1.4.5 profile everything was fine with both devices (all my apps loaded on the TP). However, it pretty much created an HP WebOS profile using the same info, but did not carry over 'any' of my palm profile calendar appointments, nor did it carry over my contacts (at least I think it didn't, I didn't waste the time to review my list of 200+ contacts to see if they were straight up from my palm profile, or if they were from facebook, gmail, etc.)
    I hope this post by OP is legit and if it was, the poster went out on an 'impulse' to do something he already should have already known he could not afford - as he says . . . for years. To create the headline they did was just to gain attention and I am not sure what kind.

The Touchpad was never meant to be a laptop replacement, it is not a storage device for tons of media -it is a streamer, it is debuting with the same eternal promises of 'coming featurs & aps' just like every other tablet. The buyer knew all this but had to create a headline that looks bad for TP to the casual reader.

The headline should have been:
    "I cannot afford anything right now but I still bought a Touchpad because I could a day early, to try it out and really liked lots, missed some things and am now returning it as I got my free trial so now I can save up for TP3."
    PalmV - Kyo 6035 - 7135 - 650 - 700wx - pre+clocked - pre+2.1 mod - and no Pre3 time to get a Pre2?

June 19 - 8:45am - early order Touchpad. Love it! Used fire sale refund to get another. Rest paid for all accessories. Trying to teach the wife to love it.

support WebOs internals!
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by mrkalel View Post
    I completely agree w/ you not needing a TouchPad for your situtation... It is quite an expensive toy...& if someone doesn't need one (or can't afford to have one to play with), they shouldn't get one.
    Hope to see you with a Pre 3 soon...

(I just wish you didn't have to go through the process, since that tPad will be a refurb already... Costly for HP.)
    Not sure it'll be sold as a refurb - I did a full "secure erase" and restored it to factory new, wiped off any smudges, and put it back in the packaging exactly how I got it (minus the two pieces of security tape on the box, that will signify it has at least been opened). I bet they could sell this as new, just a returned item that hasn't been used.

And I WILL be on a Pre3 if it comes to Sprint - if it doesn't surface on ol' black and gold, I'll graduate to some frankenPre version.
    Last edited by slivkjs; 07/01/2011 at 08:32 AM.
    Had a similar problem justifying the cost, especially for the 32gb TouchPad, but I simply sold one of my older Nikon D50 SLRs and cut my cost in half.

It would have been a lot harder to make this purchase without selling my older equipment...so I'm glad you figured it out early. Maybe the smaller 7" TouchPad will fit your needs in the coming months! Good luck either way! Sorli...
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    I'm in the same boat only I have a 2-month old daughter instead of a 14-month. My wife is a stay-at-home mom too so money is limited. I've done some webOS development on the side (major disappointment as far as income) and also do photography on the side and, without an SD slot or apps, can not justify the cost. I'd sooner spend $600-$700 on a new laptop/desktop before getting such an expensive "toy"!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
  20. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    So - I bought at TouchPad yesterday (6/30/11) - I was one of the lucky ones that scored one early at a local Best Buy (Worcester, MA). I bought this on an impulse, I'm a launch day Pre- user (still have original Pre).
    Wow! Loyal webOS user.

Don't get me wrong, this thing is awesome - and if I had more spare change lying around - I probably would have kept it. But, I have a 14 moth old baby, a mortgage, and a stay-at-home wife - it's not easy parting with over $600 for a toy. I will always continue to support WebOS and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that Sprint Pre3 , if I don't see one on the horizon, and my Pre- fails me, I'll probably graduate to a Franken Pre2... if I can figure that one out.
    With the situation you are, why did you buy it ? You could have satisfied your gadget love at Bestbuy or Walmart by using demo model.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast