Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    Wow! Loyal webOS user.

With the situation you are, why did you buy it ? You could have satisfied your gadget love at Bestbuy or Walmart by using demo model.
    couldn't find a demo model anywhere - so I figured this was the easiest way to "try it out" with the full immersed experience, loading my own profile and not being on a "demo model".
    <<changed main title to match OP's edit>>
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    I'm in the same boat only I have a 2-month old daughter instead of a 14-month. My wife is a stay-at-home mom too so money is limited. I've done some webOS development on the side (major disappointment as far as income) and also do photography on the side and, without an SD slot or apps, can not justify the cost. I'd sooner spend $600-$700 on a new laptop/desktop before getting such an expensive "toy"!
    I do wonder if the EyeFi SD cards can work on the TouchPad? That would make it cool to shoot a pic on your DSLR (or point and shoot) and view it on that great screen.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  4.    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I do wonder if the EyeFi SD cards can work on the TouchPad? That would make it cool to shoot a pic on your DSLR (or point and shoot) and view it on that great screen.
    It works on an iPad 2 (via an app from EyeFi) - but it ALSO works with Snapfish! So, if you could create a mobile hotspot on your pre (via free tether), then the EyeFi card would see it, transfer your pics to Snapfish, and BAM! they'll be loaded on your TP through magical synergy of the Photo app.
    Global Posts
    336 Global Posts
    I have an Ipad 2 and hope to have a Touchpad one day. WebOS is the best! I like to play games on the Ipad and way too many of the games are not available yet on the Touchpad. The Ipad 2 is definitely just a toy to me but I use it all the time. It is so much easier to use a tablet than a laptop when laying down like at night on the couch...Not saying that the Ipad 2 is better but just saying it better meets my needs at the moment...
    I need an EyeFi for audio, an "EarFi"? Wish I could move audio from my Handy/Sampson digital recorder to a WebOS device for editing, then FTP it to the radio transmitter for broadcast. Until then, need to keep a netbook or laptop handy.

Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    It works on an iPad 2 (via an app from EyeFi) - but it ALSO works with Snapfish! So, if you could create a mobile hotspot on your pre (via free tether), then the EyeFi card would see it, transfer your pics to Snapfish, and BAM! they'll be loaded on your TP through magical synergy of the Photo app.
    "Everybody Palm!"

Palm III/IIIC, Palm Vx, Verizon: Treo 650, Centro, Pre+.
    Leo killed my future Pre 3 & Opal, dagnabitt!
    Should I buy a Handspring Visor instead?
    Got a Pre2! "It eats iPhones for Breakfast"!
    Quote Originally Posted by slivkjs View Post
    So - I bought at TouchPad yesterday (6/30/11) - I was one of the lucky ones that scored one early at a local Best Buy (Worcester, MA). I bought this on an impulse, I'm a launch day Pre- user (still have original Pre). As soon as I bought the TP I ran to my car, fired up freetether and logged into the TP. Things went well, my impressions of the device were all positive. Everything on that device is well thought out, and just needs a few tweaks to make it stellar.

The reason I am returning it is because I am finding it really hard to justify the cost of the thing ($637 including tax for the 32gb model - and yeah, I would have used the $50 rebate too, had I kept it). I played with it all evening, and it was awesome - but I have a perfectly good working laptop that'll connect to the internet while on the go (through freetether on my Pre-) and I just can't part with that kind of money for a Tablet that can't completely replace my laptop. I use my laptop for picture storage, document creation and movie creation - which is hard on a tablet (no SD slot, no movie editor, and no doc editor). I'm sure these things will come in time - but I just can't justify the cost right now. Even if there were apps for all of those things, and an SD slot - I would still probably wait a few more years before I jump into the Tablet market. Don't get me wrong, this thing is awesome - and if I had more spare change lying around - I probably would have kept it. But, I have a 14 moth old baby, a mortgage, and a stay-at-home wife - it's not easy parting with over $600 for a toy. I will always continue to support WebOS and I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for that Sprint Pre3 , if I don't see one on the horizon, and my Pre- fails me, I'll probably graduate to a Franken Pre2... if I can figure that one out.

UPDATE: I updated the title - as it was misleading, many people probably thought I was returning it due to bad reasons. I did buy this on an impulse, although I've been following webOS since June 2009, I hadn't fully committed myself to being OK with spending $600+ on the TP, I went out and bought one yesterday just because people were having luck at BestBuys getting it a day early - it was a damn good trial experience, and I wish I had more money, but I'm sure I'll have one of these in "the coming years".
    Maybe if you had put it on a bestbuy card you might just keep it? With their 18 months no interest dealy it would come out to about $37 / month.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    Maybe if you had put it on a bestbuy card you might just keep it? With their 18 months no interest dealy it would come out to about $37 / month.
    Did that (BB card financing) - still can't justify $600+ for a toy - thanks for the suggestion though.
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    He didn't really buy it. He just placed a $637 deposit on it for a day.
    Okay that is a concept alien to me.
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Yes, I would love to do this! DirectMode doesn't support webOS though (yet?) which is more or less what I'd want when I'm doing a shoot in the middle of nowhere! (it's just an ad-hoc network though so it may be possible) And, of course, I'd need software to support Nikon RAW or start shooting RAW+JPG. :-D

The direct upload to a photo service is nice but, it requires that you have a mobile hotspot (yeah free tether!) to work with and don't mind putting your photos on the cloud.

Now, Endless Memory mode... that's nice!
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12