Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone decided what program will be best to use to convert videos into an acceptable format for the TouchPad? I'm sure there are tons of ipad encoders out there, just curious to see what people have tried.

Also, has there been any further development on mplayer for webOS? I feel like that would be a huge win to get that up and working better, or something like VLC.
    Sprint Love
    handbrake ftw
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    dvd fab8 to rip dvds and blue ray, handbrake and set it to ipad format for easy compression -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    handbrake is the best & on 64-bit it is amazingly fast. I set about 150 movies to convert to iPad for the Touchpad before work and when I got home they were all done.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    handbrake is the best & on 64-bit it is amazingly fast. I set about 150 movies to convert to iPad for the Touchpad before work and when I got home they were all done.
    Out of curiosity, did they work once you copied them over? I can't get anything converted with HandBrake (to mp4 or h.264) to show up as a video on the TouchPad.
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nethan View Post
    Out of curiosity, did they work once you copied them over? I can't get anything converted with HandBrake (to mp4 or h.264) to show up as a video on the TouchPad.
    Handbrake only converts video files. It does not do any decryption so you'll need to use another program to decrypt the DRM on DVDs.
    yeah, my video converted but wont show up on the touchpad's video app...
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Handbrake only converts video files. It does not do any decryption so you'll need to use another program to decrypt the DRM on DVDs.
    These weren't DVD rips. They were .flv, .mkv and .avi files.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeusEx View Post
    Rip the movies with DVD Shrink first to strip the DRM, and then run Handbrake to convert the movies to the desired format/size.
    Free ALL converter software:

http://www.formatoz.com/
    I tried the ipad setting for converting on Handbrake, but the Touchpad couldn't recognize the files in the video player. I then tried the normal setting for MP4 format, with anamorphic set to none under the picture tab, and AAC for the audio codec and stereo for mixdown under the audio tab and it worked. I'm in the middle encoding a second file to make sure these setting work consistently.
    VLC would be nice.

GoodReader for iPad is an app that's currently in the iPad app store that allows playback of multiple formats (avi, mkv, xvid, divx, ...) pretty much the same formats that VLC supports.

It would be nice to see these types of apps that substantially expand the capabilities of the platform.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    The second file encoded with settings I previously mentioned worked, so if anybody is having trouble with Handbrake, try those settings. I'm also messing around with DVDfab's settings to try to find away to encode correctly from that program, so I don't have to rip the dvd with one program and encode with another.
    so, what app is used to play the movie on touchpad?
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    For any non DVD conversion I use Any Video Converter free with the x264 video Codec, AAC audio codec and MP4 container. Works very well also with my Pre-
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    so, what app is used to play the movie on touchpad?
    I use the photo and video app.
    I converted a bluray to mp4, than dropped it into the touchpad, cant find it at all from the photos and videos app. I then went into internal, and saw it. Hit open and it started playing. Really nicely too. Great quality, wonderful video player. I just hope it can start detecting video files soon... I used handbrake with the ipad conversion defaults.
    has anyone worked out the best settings to transfer videos to the TP?

iPlayer (BBC) can play HD videos on the TP.....
    Where do you place the video files on the TOuchpad. Just put them in the root directory or what?
    Quote Originally Posted by esox07 View Post
    Where do you place the video files on the TOuchpad. Just put them in the root directory or what?
    If they are playable, webOS should find them anywhere.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast