Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Are Some Members Of This site Predisposed To Hating The TouchPad?

Did anyone else notice that there are a number of people on this site who were very anti TouchPad before it came out...then they went and tried it and low and behold they hated it?????????

These people likely aren't trolls, but they are just very turned off for on reason or another....Does anyone else see this besides me?

Now I'm not saying it as a criticism of people, however even the best of us sometimes without realizing it are predisposed to liking or disliking something...Just yesterday someone asked me on this very site, if I only look for the positive reviews....it's likely that I am without realizing it.....not just b/c I have been a happy loyal Palm fan for over 10 years....but also b/c when the Pre came out, there were a number of people so unhappy that they bad mouthed the Pre so, that I know a number of people, (actual people, not online acquaintances), who were scared off from the Pre and webOS completely, due to chatter in these forums. It's likely without realizing it I'm trying to compensate for what happened to the Pre....

Now I had to stay on the sidelines b/c I got my Centro with a 2 year contract that started a few months before the Pre came out...so I have never even tied webOS.

I am so looking forward to getting a Pre3, which is what I have decided on since my contract expired the middle of last Oct. I decided when Palm was originally put up for sale, that I would wait for a smartphone that wasn't rushed out when Palm was so tight on funds...

My question is did these people ever have an open mind about the TouchPad?

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Rennat, Rnp, IGNTNUNLMTD and 5 others like this.
    Clearly they are. There are a good number of members here that abandoned their Pre's long ago. They still poke their heads in here, however, to cause mischief. I think they are tortured between knowing there is no better OS than WebOS, but also hating trivial things about it (like hardware) so much that they can't use it.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    There's people at both extremes and in the middle here. I agree that some are beyond critical and have absolutely nothing but negative comments to say. Some of those people cannot believe anybody would have something good to say.

There's also some who are just as fanatical on the opposite end of the spectrum. They cannot accept that anybody would have anything less than positive to say about the TPad or webOS. Some of them go absolutely nuts too.

Then there's those of us in the middle. We see the positives but we are also realists and see the failings. We want the TPad & webOS to be successful but we're not going to believe every little thing said until there's proof. We're waiting to get the thing in our little hands to make up our own minds. (at least I am)

eh, it's a mixed bag. As long as people are respectful of each other, we'll get along for the most part. It's when some cross the line and make it personal that I grab my bag of popcorn and watch the drama unfold.
    SunRise and kkhanmd like this.
    Idealistic ******* can become cynical trolls when they don't have a perfect experience. In my experience, no product will ever be perfect, but if it is good enough it can succeed. My TP32 arrives tomorrow.
    Dan Donovan
    I think it because people want phones right now and the touchpad later.
    darkzone and BradE#WN like this.
    There is a hierarchy of people on these forums. Ranging from users who are pain trolls to the WebOS Fanatics. I made a cool pyramid below: (Look Ma! A Picture!)
    I believe I would belong in the Realistic WebOS Enthusiast category. I try hard to not be bias but I know I always will be partially.

"Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    hey, give me video out and I'd probably love a touchpad, but yeah, for now i'm just annoyed they didnt bother to include a rather basic feature in my mind. I'm not so much anti touchpad as just annoyed that its useless for my needs.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    Idealistic ******* can become cynical trolls when they don't have a perfect experience. In my experience, no product will ever be perfect, but if it is good enough it can succeed. My TP32 arrives tomorrow.
    Hi, ENJOY your TouchPad and please let us know how you enjoy owning it?

take care, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    There's people at both extremes and in the middle here. I agree that some are beyond critical and have absolutely nothing but negative comments to say. Some of those people cannot believe anybody would have something good to say.

There's also some who are just as fanatical on the opposite end of the spectrum. They cannot accept that anybody would have anything less than positive to say about the TPad or webOS. Some of them go absolutely nuts too.

Then there's those of us in the middle. We see the positives but we are also realists and see the failings. We want the TPad & webOS to be successful but we're not going to believe every little thing said until there's proof. We're waiting to get the thing in our little hands to make up our own minds. (at least I am)

eh, it's a mixed bag. As long as people are respectful of each other, we'll get along for the most part. It's when some cross the line and make it personal that I grab my bag of popcorn and watch the drama unfold.
    Great point. You know what you reminded me of........the current political system in our country. It's sad to watch sometimes. Count me in the middle/moderate :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Are Some Members Of This site Predisposed To Hating The TouchPad?
    Every negative I've seen reported on the TouchPad is easily verifiable and just as easily refutable if it isn't true. People aren't pretending it's a thick tablet just to bash the TouchPad -- it really is thicker than the competition. Nobody is pretending the tablet lacks the "essential apps" HP said it would have at launch -- it really doesn't have many apps available. Tech blogs aren't doctoring videos to show UI lag and apps hanging on launch -- these things really are happening. Reviewers aren't fiddling with Javascript benchmarks to make the TouchPad appear twice as slow as the competition -- it really is twice as slow as the competition. People aren't placing a piece of electrical tape over the video output port -- TouchPad really doesn't ship with any video output capabilities.

I understand why some people want to dismiss the mention of these drawbacks as trolling or being predisposed to hating the TouchPad. But these issues are real and they're worth talking about if we want HP to improve on their product.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I understand why some people want to dismiss the mention of these drawbacks as trolling or being predisposed to hating the TouchPad. But these issues are real and they're worth talking about if we want HP to improve on their product.
    Sorry, it's not a case of ignoring them or not, the complaint is about iPhans that do nothing but come on here and harp on them.

Yes, the TouchPad is thicker. Is that a negative? Not if you want one that's thicker.
    Yes, there are fewer apps. None of us needed a reviewer, or even an iPad owner to tell us that.

Further, it goes beyond the issues of ignoring (or not) the differences. The fact is, we're not here to hear the comparative disadvantage of the TP vs the iPad. Thickness is a great example. It doesn't matter that the iPad is thinner, we're not here about the iPad. The question is, is the TouchPad too thick?

If it is, don't buy it. (but, you're not buying anyway, are you, see the point?)
    LCGuy and dj ozone like this.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Yes. thankfully i don't pay attention to whiners and trolls. i make my own decisions and choices (which is probably why i'm still rocking as OG pre-) so far my experience with the TP has been great!
    It's not about the TouchPad vs. the iPad. It's about how the TouchPad stacks up against the competition.

Are you suggesting we not discuss the widely reported flaws of the TouchPad? That would do a disservice to those that are looking for an honest appraisal of HP's offering.
    IcerC, clevin and Corpora like this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I think there are some people who are predisposed. They are separate to the just consistent negative WebOS disdainers. There's some members on here whose names seem to think the world is falling every everything. They claim the Pre3 improved nothing or was "based on last year tech". They demand that HP fails if it doesn't do form factors they never gave any indication they'd do. Etc. There's of course people on the extreme other end of this as well, that make it their missions to attack and misrepresent anything negative said about the products.

The actual Predisposed people likely fall into one of two categories...those who got their hopes up and had them dashed at the announcement press conference and in the wake of the iPad2 launch shortly after. And those who had their hopes up leading into the reviews that stuff would be improved and now feels they're not. I don't think these are necessarily trolls, but just people who had high hopes for the promise of WebOS and feel its not reaching that promise.

I think there's a good bit of people on the site that honestly wanted the touchpad to be a great tablet. There's no one I can imagine still using an original Pre by choice that isn't a significant fan of WebOS...there's no reason to OTHER than WebOS at this point. Those aren't the type of people that want to see the TouchPad fail or WANT to see it negatively.

But they are likely the most jaded of WebOS fans. They had the first gen device with many having horrible build quality. They had a phone that, after 2 years, still requires routine restarts (That take seemingly forever to occur) just to function decently without homebrewing. They got to see the next two iterations of their phone, and the miniature cousin of their phone, come out on networks that wasn't Sprint while being stuck in a 2 year contract with no WebOS upgrade for them in sight. They bought in while many promises that were later found to be empty by the time of the Pre Plus's launch were still believed to be true.

I wouldn't actually be surprised if the majority of your honest to goodness WebOS fans that are very unhappy with the touchpad are original Pre owners who are simply jaded and having higher (arguable based on individual opinion if they're unreasonable) expectations.

I think you'd probably be looking at a split with most of your predisposed, largely being people who either are bitter towards and dislike WebOS and thus predisposed to disliking the TouchPad or those who have been extremely faithful but fairminded towards the OS and thus are predisposed to having high hopes for it.
    You bring up a good point, Zyphlin. I haven't seen anyone gloat or even seem happy about the TouchPad being poorly reviewed. Yes, people are talking about the TouchPad's flaws -- and sometimes it seems like it's the same argument over and over again -- but every post I've read since the embargo was lifted has been tinged with disappointment, surprise, and a bit of sadness.

Speaking for myself (and I know some people will never believe this), I want to see webOS do well. I think the entire mobile market benefits from having a disruptive competitor with a good product to keep Google and Apple honest.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    To be frank, I think people...even when they knew it wasn't going to be the cast...were hoping/wishing that the release TouchPad would pull a Samsung. Samsung realized they built a tablet that was set to compete against a model that was now "outdated" yet were going to charge the same price as the "state of the art" model. As such, they moved and completely redesigned the hardware of their model to make it not just competitive but actually in some reviews and buyers mind seemingly better than the top of the market.

I think a lot of WebOS fans were hoping badly that HP would do similar with MORE time than Samsung had. That they'd surprise us and the launch would actually be a model that matched up more closely to the Ipad2 and the new Tab10" rather than original iPad or the original Honeycomb Tablet in the Xoom. I think it was rational to hope that HP would somewhat one up an almost 10 month old product with the initial launch with things like being thinner, having a back camera, better resolution, etc. It was clearly a fair bit less rational to think that after the announcement...but I think the fact that Samsung, a company that theoretically should have a smaller scale than HP, did it created that twing of false hope.

And you're right, there doesn't seem to be a lot of gloating or "hah I told you so's" or "This is why WebOS is fail" type of responses. We DID get a lot of those after the original announcement, primarily it seemed due to the Pre3 and a lack of a slab. But we're not getting that now. Most of it seems like either sadness, as you said, or bitterness. Because I do think there's a good portion of those unhappy that are major WebOS fans that wanted to see a tablet that was a legitimate worth while purchase for reasons OTHER than just WebOS.
    StuckwVerizon and clevin like this.
    But too many people harp on the flaws as if they are fatal shortcomings of the device and ignore what it does have going for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    To be frank, I think people...even when they knew it wasn't going to be the cast...were hoping/wishing that the release TouchPad would pull a Samsung. Samsung realized they built a tablet that was set to compete against a model that was now "outdated" yet were going to charge the same price as the "state of the art" model. As such, they moved and completely redesigned the hardware of their model to make it not just competitive but actually in some reviews and buyers mind seemingly better than the top of the market.
    I think they just canned design #1 and accelerated the development of a follow on product they already had in the works. If Apple is to believed, Samsung was also taking advantage of hardware designs they were supposed to be building for Apple.
    It's not about the TouchPad vs. the iPad. It's about how the TouchPad stacks up against the competition.
    No it's not. It's about the TouchPad.

Are you suggesting we not discuss the widely reported flaws of the TouchPad? That would do a disservice to those that are looking for an honest appraisal of HP's offering.
    Nope, just that you not focus solely on them.

Pretending you are doing a "service" for folks looking for an honest appraisal is a joke. You are here to bash WebOS, and things related.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast