Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree42Likes
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Nobody talks about the lack of apps on Honeycomb, but it lacks more than the touchpad.
    Que?

Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    There's a lot of good there, and especially unique good... The fact it does have more apps at launch then Honeycomb had.
    Its one of the ways HP's tablet does stack up well against the Honeycomb ones. Unfortunately there are a number of ways where it doesn't from rear camera to video recording to better resolution to girth to weight to hdmi out to expandable memory and on.

I don't really see how people can honestly not discuss the pro's and con's of buying a tablet and coming up with an idea of whether or not they should buy a table. I understand being a fan of webOS...I AM a Fan, or else I wouldn't be choosing now that I'm off contract to still be using my Pre minus...however its just foreign to me to mindlessly purchase or applaud something regardless of the reality of its potential benefits of flaws.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Problem is people have known about TP since Feb 9th and knew it wasnt going to change to be more competitive than IP-2 or samsung Tab.
    It's very competive with the iPad 2 and Samsung Tab.
    Problem is people have known about TP since Feb 9th and knew it wasnt going to change to be more competitive than IP-2 or samsung Tab.
    I'm not sure I understand why this is a problem. If you knew on Feburary 9 that the Touchpad would not meet your needs, why continue to focus on it? Move on to the tablet that you believe will meet your needs.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    I'm not sure I understand why this is a problem. If you knew on Feburary 9 that the Touchpad would not meet your needs, why continue to focus on it? Move on to the tablet that you believe will meet your needs.
    You know why people continue to focus on it. There is a lot of enjoyment for some people to trash a product than talk about a product they like.
    ilovedessert likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all,

Are Some Members Of This site Predisposed To Hating The TouchPad?

Did anyone else notice that there are a number of people on this site who were very anti TouchPad before it came out...then they went and tried it and low and behold they hated it?????????

These people likely aren't trolls, but they are just very turned off for on reason or another....Does anyone else see this besides me?

Now I'm not saying it as a criticism of people, however even the best of us sometimes without realizing it are predisposed to liking or disliking something...Just yesterday someone asked me on this very site, if I only look for the positive reviews....it's likely that I am without realizing it.....not just b/c I have been a happy loyal Palm fan for over 10 years....but also b/c when the Pre came out, there were a number of people so unhappy that they bad mouthed the Pre so, that I know a number of people, (actual people, not online acquaintances), who were scared off from the Pre and webOS completely, due to chatter in these forums. It's likely without realizing it I'm trying to compensate for what happened to the Pre....

Now I had to stay on the sidelines b/c I got my Centro with a 2 year contract that started a few months before the Pre came out...so I have never even tied webOS.

I am so looking forward to getting a Pre3, which is what I have decided on since my contract expired the middle of last Oct. I decided when Palm was originally put up for sale, that I would wait for a smartphone that wasn't rushed out when Palm was so tight on funds...

My question is did these people ever have an open mind about the TouchPad?

Take care,

Jay
    I don't mind the members on here that have a few hundred posts ranting once in a while, but when you start having these 1-2 post new members coming on just to hate on the HP products, I have to ask myself.. do these people have a life? If they hate the product so much, why are they even on here? I know why, because in the real world, nobody wants to listen to them complaining and ignores them. Here, we unfortunately have to wade through all their crap messages in order to get to the good ones.
    ilovedessert likes this.
  6.    #46  
    Hi all,

Rome wasn't built overnight...we also don't know what is going on behind the scenes in the enterprise area.... additionally, I read someplace on this site that this is the last product that was actually designed by what was Palm's design group and HP has moved that over to a different HP division....There are also people who are never happy and some who would love to see HP fail...I'm not pointing the finger at you, but I know of a few people on this site who have said so in so many words.

Also do remember that HP is an an unfair advantage since it is introducing products AFTER Apple....BTW 'Droid tablets in terms of sales numbers are also duds as compared to Apple's numbers.

However, Apple hasn't made made much if any inroads into the enterprise area, where Apple has little of or no contacts, HP does....take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Jay, one could ask why you're so predisposed to liking webos? You use a centro so you don't really know the pain some of us have experienced using webos day in and day out for the last 2 years. You say you don't even plan to get a tablet showing that you don't really understand how to use them to great effect. So why come on and root for webos everyday? You barely experience it's benefits/ letdowns in real life.

Seems irrational to me. Same as it is for those who hate on webos. It looks to me like you can answer your own question. For whatever reason, one wants to be a fanatic and others want to be haters. We all decide separately and then go to war on sites like this. Same as in politics, same as life. It's the conflict that makes each side want to escalate the confrontation more. It fuels everybody onto stronger and stronger attacks. It's war. And it's basic human nature.
    Corpora likes this.
  8.    #48  
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    You know why people continue to focus on it. There is a lot of enjoyment for some people to trash a product than talk about a product they like.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I don't mind the members on here that have a few hundred posts ranting once in a while, but when you start having these 1-2 post new members coming on just to hate on the HP products, I have to ask myself.. do these people have a life? If they hate the product so much, why are they even on here? I know why, because in the real world, nobody wants to listen to them complaining and ignores them. Here, we unfortunately have to wade through all their crap messages in order to get to the good ones.
    HI all,

Thank to all THREE of you ...you stated it perfectly.....there are a number of people who have been on this site as trolls...it's so obvious since they do have but a handful of posts and EVERYONE of their posts is negative.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    It's very competive with the iPad 2 and Samsung Tab.
    Can I ask you this? Why do you think companies(other than Asus) are scared to price their tablets lower than the ipad? I mean, yes profits would be lower, but in that, you would also have more users on the platform. Just want to know what you think.
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Can I ask you this? Why do you think companies(other than Asus) are scared to price their tablets lower than the ipad? I mean, yes profits would be lower, but in that, you would also have more users on the platform. Just want to know what you think.
    Hi all I have question on this....since it's truly something I have no idea about...

1. Are these firms "afraid" as you stated to lower prices or are they unable to b/c they wouldn't be able to make a profit?

2. Are they afraid to use them at a loss leader with no profit or almost no profit to gain market share, due to the inability of easily making money as the their market share increases to to the difficult economy?

Take care,

Jay
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    Hi all I have question on this....since it's truly something I have no idea about...

1. Are these firms "afraid" as you stated to lower prices or are they unable to b/c they wouldn't be able to make a profit?

2. Are they afraid to use them at a loss leader with no profit or almost no profit to gain market share, due to the inability of easily making money as the their market share increases to to the difficult economy?

Take care,

Jay
    I truly think they are afraid as they think that a cheaper priced tablet could make consumers think that the tablet is inferior in some way. Asus took this risk and it(for now) is paying off for them. Most of these companies are building these tablets under contract anyways so they can keep the costs down. Even if you take a good amount loss from selling the tablet cheaper, if you have a decent ecosystem to grab your customers into then profit shouldnt be a issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    I truly think they are afraid as they think that a cheaper priced tablet could make consumers think that the tablet is inferior in some way..
    That maybe true, however, two points.

1 many reviewers said the hardware feels on the cheap side of things, if hp worried about being regarded as cheap, why not start with making it looks premium?

2 i don't think anybody can claim profit is not a major consideration in the price.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Imperator64 View Post
    Jay, one could ask why you're so predisposed to liking webos? You use a centro so you don't really know the pain some of us have experienced using webos day in and day out for the last 2 years. You say you don't even plan to get a tablet showing that you don't really understand how to use them to great effect. So why come on and root for webos everyday? You barely experience it's benefits/ letdowns in real life.

Seems irrational to me. Same as it is for those who hate on webos. It looks to me like you can answer your own question. For whatever reason, one wants to be a fanatic and others want to be haters. We all decide separately and then go to war on sites like this. Same as in politics, same as life. It's the conflict that makes each side want to escalate the confrontation more. It fuels everybody onto stronger and stronger attacks. It's war. And it's basic human nature.
    I think likers sometimes like it so much that everything to them is ok to. (For example if there was no virtual keyboard, they still would have been happy) Similarly haters hate it so much that everything is bad to them. (no HDMI out, that is the end of it) And there are people in between who keep an open mind, a strong opinion and maybe help guide the next coming product into a a better one.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Nobody talks about the lack of apps on Honeycomb, but it lacks more than the touchpad.
    Because stupid statements are stupid. There's only a lack of specifically optimized apps for Honeycomb, and unlike the TouchPad "legacy" apps work fine.

Mojo Compatibility Mode On HP TouchPad Shows Long List of Limitations | News |webOSroundup

HP Y U NO MAKE STABLE REVIEW TABLETS
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    [/QUOTE]

I know I fall somewhere between the realistic and fanatic supporter of WebOS. I made up my mind to get a TouchPad in February, and pre-ordered a 32GB unit from HP on June 19th. I was disheartened this past week when all the negative reviews started rolling in. However I was not persuaded to cancel my order (unit SHOULD arrive tomorrow).

I think, for the most part, haters are simply lovers of WebOS who have been disappointed time and time again, that their reaction is directly proportional to the love of WebOS. It's like being spurned by a lover, you have to turn against them in order to get over them and move on with your life. As much as I can, I understand where they are coming from. I too felt the disappointment as the reviews started to stack up against the Touchpad. Why in gods name am I still backing this technology? Will it ever meet it's potential? Is WebOS the 21st century version of Betamax? I've supported Palm, WebOS and the developer community and all I've got to show for it is a launch day Sprint Pre and an average spec'd tablet with an OS that never seems to match it's potential? You throw in a certain sense of entitlement ('Make it right, HP!') and you have a caldron for the vehemence we've all seen. I understand it. In the dark recesses of my mind, I somewhat agree, but Iím still voting with my pocketbook by getting a TouchPad and a Pre3 (wherever it lands).

All I can do is let them vent, ignore them as best I can, and be supportive of the dev community. If they do for the Touchpad what they've done for my Pre minus, the Touchpad will be a mighty awesome device....someday.
    The Borg will trace their ancestry to the Treo180.

Handspring Visor Deluxe, Treo 300, 600, 650, 700wx, 800w, HTC Touch Pro, Palm Pre, TouchPad 32GB.
    kkhanmd likes this.
  17.    #57  

Hi, I'm not sure exactly how to answer your questions and comments...

I got a Centro instead of waiting for a Pre b/c at the time none of the Cell Providers were giving free calls to either all cell phones or to your most called cell numbers....b/c my now Fiancee, (we weren't engaged at the time), only has a cell no land line...we live in different counties with different area codes...it's free and always has been free for me to call her on my land line, (which is great b/c until I had a V signal booster cell service in my house is none existent).

So I gave up my cell with Sprint who I was with as long as I had a Palm which was about 8 years. I took a phone on her plan so that it wouldn't cost anything for her to call me....(her phone bills were running into the hundreds of $'s until we went on the same phone plan...).

That all happened shortly before Sprint released the Pre. It made much more sense for me to go on Amy's plan and not the other way around, since her employer, Costco, gets very generous discounts on cell service for it's employees, (in exchange for the cell Providers to have sales kiosks in Costco. In addition She didn't and still doesn't want a smartphone).

I don't want a TouchPad or any pad device at least now for a number of reasons. As you all know I'm disabled, my first spinal surgery was only partially successful....I cannot hold a book or a pad computer for more than a few minutes without horrendous pain. I also can't look down at a book or pad computer for anything put a few minutes without pain...

If I'm going to the expense of buying a Pad type computer, I will be hampered by this and then having to buy and or try a number of stands, holders etc...trying to find one that will work for me.... additionally due to the same pain situation I cannot type on flat glass.

I do have a laptop and my Mom's laptop (which she was just learning to use when she had her stroke & heart attack)....as well as my desktop computer. Most of my work on the laptop is done using a device called a Cricut which is a computerized paper die cutting machine...none to the models they make has blue tooth and a pad will not work with them....it took months to find a stand for the laptop that allowed me to even use it without too pain...

My house's laundry room was converted to an office when we moved here almost 15 years ago, by my wonderful and talented Dad, (who sadly has since passed away)...he was a product engineer and tool & die designer. He designed the work area & counter that I use as a desk. He designed it at just the right height and angle to help limit my pain levels. There isn't room in my office for the Cricut, so I use that on a card table with my laptop stacked on several books on a laptop stand, (I tried about 23 different styles and brand stands until I found one that works some what in limiting the pain)...

Another reason why I don't want a pad is money.....even with my Dad's & Mom's Medicare and Co Insurance...the cost of my Dad's cancer treatments for his last 7 months of his life, plus the almost 2 1/2 years since my Mom's stroke and heart attack, 17 days in the hospital then 2 months in a live in Physical Therapy Rehab (which had a $2300 deductible alone), unit and then over 2 years of me taking care of her myself 100% of the time, (although when Amy isn't working she is a major help)...(UNDER NO SITUATION WILL I PUT MY MOM OR WOULD I HAVE PUT MY DAD IN A NURSING HOME...), keep in mind that I haven't worked in 18 years so I have to draw the line on certain items....

Last issue: My issue is that I see that a number of HATERS here have but a very few postings, which leads me to believe that they are trolls...

I'm very pro webOS b/c palm had been very good to me...shortly after I got my first Palm smartphone, when I had a problem with PalmOS they spent lot of time with me on the phone to fix the problem with me......so I feel I should return the favor to them....BTW I'm sure not all of your experience with the Pre/webOS has been negative has it? Also they are now a different company...I understand that HP has rearranged the design situation for future models of all webOS devices where HP will be designing the hardware, not what was Palm doing the designing.

take care,

Jay
    You didn't need to spend so much time on that Jay. Your last paragraph answers my question. Which was plainly 'why does someone who doesn't even use webos love it so much?'

Its fine that you do. But you asked why it seems some people hate for no reason at all. Well, you're not even a user yet you love this OS. You see, it doesn't take much at all to decide one way or the other.
  19.    #59  
    You didn't need to spend so much time on that Jay.
    Hi actually I would have been done with it sooner...but I had a lot of interruptions: 3 phone calls, the sprinkler man was here to fix the sprinkler system, GE is here to look at the washing machine...& the guy for Directv, (they have to move the dish to the roof) it's been like grand central station.

Take care all,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    Everybody complains about the lack of apps on Honeycomb...
    Like Netflix and Skype. At least Kindle is there. As others book reading and editting software.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast