Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    /start rant

Reviews are coming in. People are up in arms. The TouchPad is worthless before anyone even bothers to try it out. Everyone's attitudes are really starting to get to me. I thought this was a FAN site.

Reviews
    Every review I've seen about the Pre/Pre+/Pixi/Pixi+/Pre2/Veer(almost all) have been negative. Yet did you guys agree with those reviews? I'm guessing by your presence on this site you thought that the review was inaccurate. So why now do the reviews for the TouchPad hold more weight than any of the other reviews ever did before?

Reasons the TouchPad "sucks"
    Weight
    Is a 3 ounce difference in weight noticable? Not to me. Do me a favor if you think it does... Hold your hand out pretending like your holding an iPad 2 in your hand and see how long you can hold nothing before your arm gets tired. (dont cheat and use an arm rest)
    Cheap Build
    Is a finger-printed up back a problem? Not to me, I don't ever look behind my T.V, nor my tablet, not to mention the case that fits around it. Plus I think the finish feels GREAT in my hands and my TouchPad would not have a case because of it. The TouchPad is a quality device. NO it is not perfect, nothing is.
    Lag
    Are occasional software hiccups a big problem? Not to me, they are everywhere with everything (including my desktop computer and yes, even my fantastically, magically, awesome iPad). I've grown used to not having perfection, I don't understand why every demands it from HP.

Do the pros of the TouchPad outweigh the pros of other tablets?
    >Synergy, beats audio, multitasking, touch to share, phone call/message forwarding, touchstone charging, compatibility between phone/tablet/computer (Just off the top of my head)

I think the benefits associated with webOS make it worth owning over other competing devices. No device is better at every single aspect of an action/task than a competitor. Someone always has the better of someone at something else. So in the end the choice of products comes down to the entire experience. I say webOS, I say TouchPad.

/end rant
    Hipsters gonna Hipst.
    all of the "cons" seem to be lame attempts at finding things wrong with the TP. the only true "con" is a current lack of apps which is soon to change. i am honestly convinced that the reviewers were looking for 100% perfection and they were rather bitter over not finding it.
    SirJames likes this.
    etx, dj ozone, i2y4n and 11 others like this.
    I got a iPad at work when it first came out. The software was a mess but apple updated it quite a bit now. HP has some work to do, but I don't think it impairs the usefulness of the device. When I used the iPad for the first time I said it was cool, but I'm glad I didn't pay $600 for it. After about 30 minutes of using the TouchPad yesterday I said I was ready to pay $600 for it.
    SirJames and erosen03 like this.
    It's been like that here for a long time. After months & months & threads & threads you tend to learn a few things:

1. Who the naysayers are and how they are ever-so-committed on making sure EVERYONE knows how much they:
    a)hate a half-baked product.
    b)hate waiting for a decent product.
    c)apparently love webOS, but continue to bash it.
    d) (when a new device does come out) pick it apart to pieces.

(You realize there's a clique of them that pat each other on the backs, right? )

So you can either ignore/ block them if it bothers you so much.... Or read their posts and let it roll.

Everyone's entitled to their opinion, & it can be frustrating sometimes.

Doesn't make a lot of sense for me either why they keep hanging on. If it were me in their shoes, I'd just disappear and waste my time doing something else....but to each their own.
    nyallj and SirJames like this.
    I'm thinking there wouldn't be trolls if they didn't feel threatened. So I guess it's a good sign, but sometimes I just have to stop reading a thread. Maybe once we all have our TouchPads and we are mostly happy, it will get better.
    nyallj likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    I got a iPad at work when it first came out. The software was a mess but apple updated it quite a bit now. HP has some work to do, but I don't think it impairs the usefulness of the device. When I used the iPad for the first time I said it was cool, but I'm glad I didn't pay $600 for it. After about 30 minutes of using the TouchPad yesterday I said I was ready to pay $600 for it.
    Be aware that all demo units may not be equal. I've played with two Touchpads in the past two days. The one at Fry's was not WiFi connected. The one at Best Buy was. The Best Buy unit seemed to have several apps that weren't on the one at Fry's, including WhitePages. It also included an app to manually update the demo. Most retail salespeople would never bother to update. HP must have set all demo units up to call home for periodic updates. Unfortunately, non-connected units will never update, making the demo experience uneven from store to store.
    Dan Donovan
    I'll be going to check out the touchpad myself and I will judge for myself.I've noticed that reviewer aren't saying test it yourself.They are flat out telling us not to buy things.When did they start to be parents to consumers.I thought their job was to review and give an opinion,not give commands.
    The TouchPad is great for some users, but it's not a device that meets the needs of many people due to ridiculous items that HP overlooked. Get used to people being upset a device they've been waiting for has so much good to offer, yet misses the boat on highly important, yet inexpensive items like video out.

Just because people aren't willing to praise HP for delivering a lackluster device just because the device also happens to come with webOS does not mean the people who aren't impressed are webOS haters or something.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The TouchPad is great for some users, but it's not a device that meets the needs of many people due to ridiculous items that HP overlooked. Get used to people being upset a device they've been waiting for has so much good to offer, yet misses the boat on highly important, yet inexpensive items like video out.

Just because people aren't willing to praise HP for delivering a lackluster device just because the device also happens to come with webOS does not mean the people who aren't impressed are webOS haters or something.
    People knew for 4 months that the TouchPad had no video out capabilities.
    65fastback and SirJames like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post

Why in the world should we "get used to people being upset"? It's a tablet computer. If it doesn't meet your needs, don't get upset, go buy one that's better for you. If you can't find one, why be upset?

Seriously.
    cobrakon, runaround and KAPS like this.
    Hardware quality and OS behaviour has been inconsistent and may continue to be.
    User feedback will reflect that.
    It's human though to focus more easily on negative noise. Chances are you do the same about other products, whereas others are perfectly happy.
    The part I have a problem with the most is that apparently 1.6 pounds breaks arms, but 1.3 pounds doesn't. I thought only ants were sensitive to that difference in weight...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    KAPS and SirJames like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    The part I have a problem with the most is that apparently 1.6 pounds breaks arms, but 1.3 pounds doesn't. I thought only ants were sensitive to that difference in weight...

Indeed, I find this critique bizare, along with the extra .2 inches of thickness. I guess a lot of tech rebiewers (or perhaps their audience) have small shriveled up T-Rex style arms. I can't imagine noticing a difference.

Of the reviews I've read, the only meaningful criticism, which regards lag, gets lost in the nit picking.

SirJames likes this.
    I am NOT a tablet guy - no need for one, but, the TP is HP's first real forray into the mobile world using WebOS, which, for me, is my choice for the OS on any smartphone I use, so, this whole thing is relevant to me.

Many of the so called "deficiencies" noted by the reviewer are comparison features with other products: thinness, weight, extra camera, hdmi-out... I guess these are relevant since a consumer can get these in competing devices, but, well, they don't have WebOS on them... its a tradeoff, as far as I can tell, for any consumer to make.

What bothers me the most is the lack of internal competency by HP to allow units with obvious software glitches into the hands of the reviewing personnel prior to release!

Not that I think this was intentional - far from it - I think the incompetence was that no one was in put in control of those review units, to make sure that they were absolutely pristine, software-wise.

I totally get that a software release can fix all of this, which, apparently had to do with hardare accelleration not being fully incorporated into the OS yet, but, to release a unit to a slew of media reviewers that cannot start a much anticipated application like Quickoffice within minutes of the initial tap is, well, not to be redundant, but, honestly: incompetent.

That said, its time to move forward from here.. HP has a huge ad campaign started, and more webOS devices in the pipeline.. lets hope that they have learned their lesson, and get it right for the Pre 3.,

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post

The problem isn't just the weight difference. The problem is that it weighs more but has less battery life. It is thicker but has some laggy bits. It has less features but is thicker and heavier. IF it was much faster then an ipad, or had more apps, or had great battery life I feel like less people would care about the weight or thickness but it doesn't. I love webos but I'm consistently disappointed in the hardware design that it comes on and the lack of features(NO RDP, no Document Editing(really!!?), no Netflix).. As far as hardware i for one welcome a Samsung webos device but that is not the fix all.

Consumers are going to look at this tablet and say hey it is thicker and heavier what features does this have. Oh wait it can't even edit a document..... The people at work that have ipads use them as a laptop replacement how can someone use a tablet that doesn't even have document editing as a laptop replacement.

And people are going to say to me go get a different tablet... That is a bad attitude because if we just accept things as they are and tell everyone who is missing a feature that oh they should go get a different tablet then no one is ever going to support WebOS they will just go get a different tablet and WebOs desperately needs more users if it hopes to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2yn
    People knew for 4 months that the TouchPad had no video out capabilities.
    This is not true. People knew for 4 months there was no HDMI out port. We did not know whether or not HP had decided to use hosting capabilities for microUSB to HDMI or if HP was including media server capabilities or DLNA or had a wifi HDMI accessory. In fact, just yesterday there was a user posting about in the forums that HDMI adapters were coming for sure (which they almost definitely are NOT at this point), but I still want to believe they are so I can justify the TouchPad.

Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    The problem isn't just the weight difference. The problem is that it weighs more but has less battery life. It is thicker but has some laggy bits. It has less features but is thicker and heavier...

...Consumers are going to look at this tablet and say hey it is thicker and heavier what features does this have...
    The reviews I saw generally commented on the weight of the TouchPad, but they also said the TouchPad felt good in their hands. I really doubt the couple ounces of weight is going to factor at all into consumer decisions. I spent several minutes back to back with the Playbook, the Xoom, the iPad2, and the Galaxy 10.1. I guess I "noticed" the weight difference a little, but it would not have impacted my purchase decision in the least.

I don't believe the size or weight of the TouchPad contributed significantly to any positive or negative conclusions or ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by hparsons
    Why in the world should we "get used to people being upset"? It's a tablet computer. If it doesn't meet your needs, don't get upset, go buy one that's better for you. If you can't find one, why be upset?
    Why are you here in the forums? No, seriously. Might it be because you like webOS and you're invested in the operating system? Like a lot of webOS users who've put a great deal of their time and effort into learning an OS inside and out, standing up for the OS and frequently trying to convince friends we weren't insane for using a device that was dilapidated like my falling apart Pre. Years have been invested into hoping a webOS product would finally get it right. Well, there are going to be some people a little annoyed that HP/Palm didn't get it right for a lot of people... again. At this point, we really just look like stubborn idiots to friends and many others. It's not a fun feeling being the **** of jokes.

I don't want to support Apple. I hate how that company operates, but there are simply no competitors yet, and I'm in a position where I have a need for a laptop replacement tablet NOW.
    Some people just aren't happy unless they're miserable. Inconsistant but true. Bashing something or someone makes people feel that they are somehow "better" ("better" being defined only as a "nebulous point" within their own minds).
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Some people just aren't happy unless they're miserable. Inconsistant but true. Bashing something or someone makes people feel that they are somehow "better" ("better" being defined only as a "nebulous point" within their own minds).
    Yeah. Too bad 90% of the TouchPad "haters" in here are just offering an unbiased opinion on the merits of the device. This isn't like the Pre3 bashing that went on from people who just wanted a slab.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast