Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Why dont you read the post here and you will notice several ppl here already reported they can't open quickoffice.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    maybe it's an enduser problem, or they're not logged into a profile. I saw this message, tried QuickOffice, and had no trouble loading. Even let me open Google Docs.
    I've had no issues opening QuickOffice, or accessing Google Docs
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    There was never a statement I heard or read from HP that said "The TouchPad will not have video out", but it's possible I missed it. Sure people were trying to find a way video out would be supported because it would be ludicrous to try to market the tablet without video out. HP has been totally silent on video out. The crazy thing is that according to Tim Pettit there have been multiple iterations of hardware since February 9th. How could something such as video out capability have been overlooked? It would have been downright stupid if they were revising hardware... yet, here it is. Missing a feature every major tablet in the last 2 years has launched with.
    There was never an announcement because there was nothing to say. Companies aren't in the habit of pointing out the features that they don't have.

Did they mess up by not including a way for video out, yes I think so. However, it is not new news.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    The part I have a problem with the most is that apparently 1.6 pounds breaks arms, but 1.3 pounds doesn't. I thought only ants were sensitive to that difference in weight...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Hold the iPad and then hold the iPad 2....you feel and see the difference in size and weight.
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    Because they didn't listen to the last reviews and then they discovered through personal experience they were right?

It's a 4.32 oz difference or .27 lbs. More than a quarter of a pound is very noticeable in one hand after 30 minutes.

Having the device freeze on you for 10 seconds (as it did for some reviewers) or restart itself (again, as it did for some reviewers) is a big problem. The bigger issue, though, is that the other tablet leaders (iPad, Galaxy Tab 10.1) do not have those issues, so in comparison it's bad.

Outweigh? no. But some of them are very nice features. I think the TouchPad is like EVERY other WebOS device: amazing potential, fantastic OS GUI, brilliant handling of multitasking but falls short in implementation and hardware.

WebOS is the best GUI, hands down. Synergy is the best solution for contacts/email/etc, hands down. But the hardware this has all been put on is always behind the times and frequently faulty, and the implementation of the OS is too slow.
    .27 pounds difference between the lightest tablet out there, what about the average size? And after 30 minutes, just holding a pen is going to make your hand tired. The difference is not noticeable without a scale.

I own an iPad, and that thing has frozen for 10 seconds before. It seems like there is always an issue with an app not installing and no way of deleting the problem app conveniently. The iPad lags often. It has also had to be restarted. And thats coming from the "perfect" iPad. Don't get me wrong, it is overall very stable, just not perfect.
    Last edited by i2y4n; 07/01/2011 at 01:23 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Stopped by Best Buy to take a peek at the TouchPad just a few minutes ago. I was hugely unimpressed. Pretty frequent lag, an instance of unresponsiveness and a 10sec lock up within 3 minutes of using it. I'm either real unlucky or people claiming to have not experienced any lag with their demo unit time were just plain really lucky. Card swapping was lightning fast, though. The launcher windows were reasonably quick to swipe as well, but it seems lighter touches/flicks may not be recognized so well. The lockups came from trying to launch Quick Office, and the lack of response came from launching calendar after closing it about 10 sec earlier. The TouchPad acknowledged my tap, but decided I was only joking that I wanted to open the app.

I also noticed the browser doesn't tell you there's no connection like it would on a webOS phone, it just sits there and gives you the glowing card load for minutes on end.

Finally, within just a few seconds, I could tell that handling the device with one hand in landscape mode was going to be very difficult for more than a few minutes. It felts like an iron brick in my hand. Way too heavy. Went back to the Xoom, and it was heavy, but the thinner profile made it feel a little lighter. Over to the iPad2 and it was like night and day. So slim. So light it was hilarious. Picked up the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, and again, super light feeling, but it felt way cheaper and plasticky compared to the iPad2.

Honeycomb 3.1 is still clunky and unresponsive. Swipes had to be slow, and it felt like I had to swipe hard against the screen to get the OS to acknowledge my input. I didn't like the home screen or not seeing the home screen icon button until I swiped up. I was less impressed with the Galaxy Tab 10.1's operation than I was with the Xoom, though the weight difference is impossible to ignore. Oh, forgot about the "bump" scroll on Honeycomb. It was sooooo exaggerated that it was annoying.

Picked up an iPad2 last and was absolutely astonished at how much more responsive the device was. Everything felt instant. Not only did the device feel light, the OS felt airy requiring super light touches and quick flicks to acknowledge requests. Moving through app launcher windows and launching apps were lightning fast.

It was totally disheartening to see just how far behind the iPad2 the TouchPad really is. Still no legitimate competitors for Apple in the tablet market. Astonishing.
    Last edited by EvilKell; 07/01/2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Thought of another annoyance with Honeycomb
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    Indeed, I find this critique bizare, along with the extra .2 inches of thickness. I guess a lot of tech rebiewers (or perhaps their audience) have small shriveled up T-Rex style arms. I can't imagine noticing a difference.

Of the reviews I've read, the only meaningful criticism, which regards lag, gets lost in the nit picking.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I agree. Funny thing is it that extra thickness and heft didn't stop millions of consumers buy an iPad 1.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    .27 pounds difference between the lightest tablet out there, what about the average size? And after 30 minutes, just holding a pen is going to make your hand tired. The difference is not noticeable without a scale.

I own an iPad, and that thing has frozen for 10 seconds before. It seems like there is always an issue with an app not installing and no way of deleting the problem app conveniently. The iPad lags often. It has also had to be restarted. And thats coming from the "perfect" iPad. Don't get me wrong, it is overall very stable, just not perfect.
    My iPad 1 lags miserably when switching apps (3-10 secs). No product is perfect so people should get over a few secs difference in launching an app. The fast multitasking of the Touchpad makes up for that difference. I've played with the demo Touchpad at Best Buy and have not had one instance of prolonged lag like 10 secs.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by empathyrus View Post
    I agree. Funny thing is it that extra thickness and heft didn't stop millions of consumers buy an iPad 1 in 2010.
    see part in bold
    Hello Folks - I am brand new here. I found my way to this site googling for info on the new HP Touchpad. I am not very technical, but I do like gadgets. I find the dynamics here fascinating and at the same time a bit surprising. I was really expecting to find a more intellectual or techie kind of perspective. It is interesting that there seem to be so many Naysayers and I have to wonder why they are on this forum if they are so displeased with the product? Usually, reasonable people who are unhappy will post their peace and move on to other things. Anyway after exploring this site, i2y4N, your post prompted me to sign up and post this definition from Urban Dictionary:

"naysayer"

One who frequently engages in excessive complaining, negative banter and/or a genuinely poor and downbeat attitude. Naysayers are distinguished by their tendency to consistently view the glass half empty, make frequent one-way trips to negative town, and constantly emphasize the worst of a situation. They have the capacity to rant and whine for hours on end about the most insignificant inconveniences. They tend to travel solo, but have the keen ability to spread their pessimistic attitude to a group of unsuspecting bystanders and encourage others to employ their mindset.

Naysayers tend to blend in with those around them rather well, granted they have learned over the years to adapt to their surroundings. However, when the opportunity arises, their true nature will be exposed and they will stop at nothing to exclude others or bring a general sense of negativity to any situation.
    Not to be confused with non-naysayers who fight against the negativity brought forth by naysayers, make the best of a situation and are not afraid to call out a naysayer on the spot.

Being the world renowned naysayer that he was, Jobe complained about nearly every aspect of the party and made sure nobody else had a good time."

Is there a way to exclude specific people from my view, so I can avoid spending time weeding out the no value add posts?

Some background on myself. I am in the business world and spend most of my day on my laptop on Office and internal applications and I work at home. Currently as a professional and a consumer, I have a work PC (Compaq), a home PC (MAC), a phone -- used for both work and home (HTC Incredible-Verizon), a Kindle (for reasonable sized book reading, phone is just too small) and an IPOD for storing and mobile use of music (got this 3+ years ago before I had the Incredible) - with no way (simple enough for my simple mind) to share much across. I really look forward to future where we can have a more seamless use of all our various devices (and hopefully fewer of them). I see WebOS with the potential to go in this direction and will try to be optimistic and accept the reality of the constant change in technology we continue to see.

So, I for one, ordered my Touchpad today and look forward to the Pre3, and hopefully at some point on a PC.
    C-Note likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by joiathome View Post
    Hello Folks - I am brand new here. I found my way to this site googling for info on the new HP Touchpad. I am not very technical, but I do like gadgets. I find the dynamics here fascinating and at the same time a bit surprising. I was really expecting to find a more intellectual or techie kind of perspective. It is interesting that there seem to be so many Naysayers and I have to wonder why they are on this forum if they are so displeased with the product? Usually, reasonable people who are unhappy will post their peace and move on to other things. Anyway after exploring this site, i2y4N, your post prompted me to sign up and post this definition from Urban Dictionary:

"naysayer"

One who frequently engages in excessive complaining, negative banter and/or a genuinely poor and downbeat attitude. Naysayers are distinguished by their tendency to consistently view the glass half empty, make frequent one-way trips to negative town, and constantly emphasize the worst of a situation. They have the capacity to rant and whine for hours on end about the most insignificant inconveniences. They tend to travel solo, but have the keen ability to spread their pessimistic attitude to a group of unsuspecting bystanders and encourage others to employ their mindset.

Naysayers tend to blend in with those around them rather well, granted they have learned over the years to adapt to their surroundings. However, when the opportunity arises, their true nature will be exposed and they will stop at nothing to exclude others or bring a general sense of negativity to any situation.
    Not to be confused with non-naysayers who fight against the negativity brought forth by naysayers, make the best of a situation and are not afraid to call out a naysayer on the spot.

Being the world renowned naysayer that he was, Jobe complained about nearly every aspect of the party and made sure nobody else had a good time."

Is there a way to exclude specific people from my view, so I can avoid spending time weeding out the no value add posts?

Some background on myself. I am in the business world and spend most of my day on my laptop on Office and internal applications and I work at home. Currently as a professional and a consumer, I have a work PC (Compaq), a home PC (MAC), a phone -- used for both work and home (HTC Incredible-Verizon), a Kindle (for reasonable sized book reading, phone is just too small) and an IPOD for storing and mobile use of music (got this 3+ years ago before I had the Incredible) - with no way (simple enough for my simple mind) to share much across. I really look forward to future where we can have a more seamless use of all our various devices (and hopefully fewer of them). I see WebOS with the potential to go in this direction and will try to be optimistic and accept the reality of the constant change in technology we continue to see.

So, I for one, ordered my Touchpad today and look forward to the Pre3, and hopefully at some point on a PC.
    A newbie... and bringing some much needed intelligence too!!!

Welcome.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    Quote Originally Posted by joiathome View Post

Hello and Welcome.
    I'm sorry if it looks like to a newbie that some of us are being debbie downer as it were and not looking at the possiblities. But unfortunately the good thing about being a newbie to WebOS is that you have not been through the roller coaster from day one. It is hard to trust that stuff will get better when this looks like the same old story as the pre launch. All I'm see is that another product that is behind current competitors is released again(Not behind in hardware such as processor as it is a good dual-core) but software wise there are many reports of slowness and it is missing key things like document editing!.

I'm glad there are new people interested in WebOS because if that continues the problems should really be fixed because of the amount of users being bigger this time.

But please understand that some of the negativity comes from disappointment of a mobile OS that most of us here feel has great potential but continues to disappoint in similar ways even after 2 years and a new company. I continue to stick around with maybe foolish hope that this great os will someday have the apps and support I look for. Such as Netflix , document editing, remote desktop. ETC. In the meantime yes I moved to android ( I still have my old pre-) but will come back to WebOS as soon as I feel it meets my everyday needs. Which I hope is soon. Which is why I stick around to keep current on WebOS to see if it has matured and gained more developer support.

Edit:

P.S. Welcome again Homebrew for WebOS is awesome and welcome to a great community overall! This has to be the best community for mobile devices ever. The other forums around the web for other mobile devices seem boring and passionless compared to precentral.
    Last edited by spectre686; 07/01/2011 at 02:54 PM. Reason: added a P.S.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Being big win your opponents are thin isn't marketable. I could see if the battery was bigger but both the ipad and tab have larger batteries.
    Don't forget, there is the touchstone hardware and tap to share hardware...could add a little weight and thickness.

EDIT TO ADD: Hey! Nice to see a new face Joiathom! Glad to have you...and I like your input. One of my favorite parts of the definition was "...make frequent one-way trips to negative town..." That's funny! But I think if those trips were one-way, the naysayers wouldn't be coming back so often. Oh well, thanks for encouraging us to be encouraging.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/01/2011 at 04:04 PM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    But when you price similarly to competition expect to be compared at a fine point. Its like Toyota pricing a car similarly to a BMW and then not offer similar features found on the BMW and wonder why it is getting criticism later on.
    And to add insult to injury some gudgets are not working at all or working poorly.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    I've had no issues opening QuickOffice, or accessing Google Docs
    How long did it took to open - 5sec, 10 or 60 ?

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the welcome C-Note, and Rockbeast. And thank you Spectre686 for taking the time to explain your perspective -- your sincerity shows through. Try to set aside the past and look forward to the future Technology will change and can only get better even if it is not from where we expected.

Take care and I may be back for some advice from you all when my Touchpad comes in (no doubt flawed in some way, as everything is) ......
    Something I'm wondering is how come the touchpad seems slower than the veer. I was at Best Buy and the veer and touchpad were on display and when I was swiping cards around ans stacking I noticed the veer does it faster but then again I hear that the touchpad has no GPU acceleration.
    I don't hate or like the TouchPad, I hate all tablets period.

I just can't wait for all this TouchPad talk to die down and for some Pre3 news to flow in.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    all of the "cons" seem to be lame attempts at finding things wrong with the TP. the only true "con" is a current lack of apps which is soon to change. i am honestly convinced that the reviewers were looking for 100% perfection and they were rather bitter over not finding it.
    I was once one of the most ardent webOS enthusiasts on this site and elsewhere, and I made all the same arguments in the platform's first 18 months or so. However, at this point, the statement "the only true 'con' is a current lack of apps which is soon the change" seems downright silly to me.

Folks, we've been hearing that the app ecosystem will improve sometime soon for two years now, and it hasn't. The fact is, it won't improve in any meaningful way until more webOS devices have been sold. And they won't be sold without some bold moves on HP's part, which I'm not seeing.

webOS fans like to give Android a hard time because it's not as elegant a mobile OS, but you all should take a look at the Android Market before saying webOS is competitive with it. Any app you might want to run exists on Android, and in most cases with a variety of apps that meet many different use cases. If one Office editing app doesn't work for you, chances are one of the five or six others will.

Windows Phone 7 already has 25,000 apps available for it, because Microsoft made some aggressive moves in the very beginning to get major developers to port their apps to the platform. webOS is fighting for third place right now, and anyone who thinks webOS can compete against WP7 with the app ecosystem the way it is, is just fooling themselves.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > HTC Mogul (*****!) > HTC Touch Pro (***** squared!) > PRE! > Epic
    I've been avoiding these forums for the past week or so because I knew that these Touchpad hate rants were going to go on.
    I don't like the Touchpad in particular, but I don't need to find people that agree with me to justify my position.
    I believe the true tragedy in its release was not the .3 pounds or the HDMI out or the resemblance to the original iPad, but HP's handling of the software. GPU acceleration should have been done. Yeah, it would have taken a long time. But in order to be truly competitive it should have been done. Then the strange quirks throughout the operating system, such as the ham-handed design of the App Catalog, the lack of threaded messaging, and, of course, the lack of a gesture area are the real kicker. An inconsistent and backwards UI goes against everything webOS stood for in the first place.
    That being said, I'd still like one. Call me both a f@nboy and a hater. The brilliance of the original operating system still apparently shows through, but HP brings nothing new of its own to the table. webOS obviously shines on a bigger screen, but its virtues all come from what it was in the first place.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast