Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 83
Like Tree55Likes
  1. WhoAmI's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #21  
    My take: For the price, the Touchpad is just way too much for a "want" product. At that price, it better be something I can use and NOW (I don't want to wait for "future updates" to get my functionality - just look what happened to Pre users that did).

    I do photography on the side and would like to load pictures straight from my memory card or camera to display them to clients. However the TouchPad doesn't have the apps to process Nikon RAW, their is no way to load the images (no USB Host mode or SD card reader), and there is no HDMI port for displaying pictures on a larger screen. Knowing that, why would I spend $700 (32GB model + Accessories - my camera's card is 16GBx2!) to buy a TouchPad over an iPad2 or - even better - a nice laptop that will do everything I need and more?!

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a webOS TouchPad but not at this price and not without being able to put it to work! I cannot afford a $600-700 "toy" or developer testing device (yes, I do that too).
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

    T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Yeah. Too bad 90% of the TouchPad "haters" in here are just offering an unbiased opinion on the merits of the device. This isn't like the Pre3 bashing that went on from people who just wanted a slab.
    I agree the pre3 bashing because of the design was a little trollish. I was disappointed in the pre3 design at first but after using my evo for the last 5 months I'm kind of looking forward to the pre3.(if it comes to sprint)

    I don't get why people on here are labeled trolls just because they love the os but hate the execution. Yes it is not easy but they are competing with much more mature products and they need to bring their game and I'm disappointed once again that the reviewers got buggy devices and that HP wasn't able to make a huge push for some really cool apps like Netflix.

    I think Josh Toplosky's review is real honest. He has always supported webos and he sounds honestly sad in his podcast review that this tablet falls short. (It is buggy and doesn't have the features to compete) He also sounds skeptical about "Updates to fix everything" (This has been promised before when it comes to webos)

    Hopefully HP sticks in there and truly in the coming months it will be a platformed to be reckoned with.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    ...Why are you here in the forums? No, seriously. Might it be because you like webOS and you're invested in the operating system? Like a lot of webOS users who've put a great deal of their time and effort into learning an OS inside and out, standing up for the OS and frequently trying to convince friends we weren't insane for using a device that was dilapidated like my falling apart Pre. Years have been invested into hoping a webOS product would finally get it right. Well, there are going to be some people a little annoyed that HP/Palm didn't get it right for a lot of people... again. At this point, we really just look like stubborn idiots to friends and many others. It's not a fun feeling being the **** of jokes.
    Since you asked - I'm here to help when I can, get help when I can, and read about the device(s) I like. I have a daughter and son-in-law that are uber-Apple fans. When he derides my WebOS decisions (and he does), I smile and say "It's nice that we both can get what we like". I don't have to justify my decisions to anyone.

    As far as looking like stubborn idiots to friends and many others, you really think that magnifying the negatives and insisting that they make the device a total failure makes you look less like an *****? Really???

    See, I just can't see that. Pretending that the device can't possibly ever have an HDMI connector (when in fact, it can; if/when HP (or someone) decides to make one) would seem to give your friends even more fodder to declare you stubborn.

    Ah well, it truly does not matter. Some like the device, some don't. This really is not supposed to be a place for those that are disappointed to vent their disappointment. Especially not a place for them to do so over and over. You'd actually probably find a more receptive audience on the other device forums.
  4. #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The TouchPad is great for some users, but it's not a device that meets the needs of many people due to ridiculous items that HP overlooked. Get used to people being upset a device they've been waiting for has so much good to offer, yet misses the boat on highly important, yet inexpensive items like video out.

    Just because people aren't willing to praise HP for delivering a lackluster device just because the device also happens to come with webOS does not mean the people who aren't impressed are webOS haters or something.
    The funny thing is, not sure why people are so upset about no video out, when HP never announced it to begin with. Wasn't in any of their specs, was never stated, and then consumers are all in a fuss because there is no video out that wasn't stated in the first place? Kinda silly.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by WhoAmI View Post
    My take: For the price, the Touchpad is just way too much for a "want" product. At that price, it better be something I can use and NOW (I don't want to wait for "future updates" to get my functionality - just look what happened to Pre users that did).

    I do photography on the side and would like to load pictures straight from my memory card or camera to display them to clients. However the TouchPad doesn't have the apps to process Nikon RAW, their is no way to load the images (no USB Host mode or SD card reader), and there is no HDMI port for displaying pictures on a larger screen. Knowing that, why would I spend $700 (32GB model + Accessories - my camera's card is 16GBx2!) to buy a TouchPad over an iPad2 or - even better - a nice laptop that will do everything I need and more?!

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love to get a webOS TouchPad but not at this price and not without being able to put it to work! I cannot afford a $600-700 "toy" or developer testing device (yes, I do that too).
    Ummm no offense here, but doesn't it make sense to do photo or movie processing/creation on a quadcore laptop with about 8 gigs of RAM and a high def blu ray screen as opposed to a 1.2Ghz dual core tablet with 1 gig of ram? Thats like me complaining about how long it would take to convert a blu ray rip movie on a tablet. I would never even bother trying when I have a desktop that rips through those like nothing.
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    The part I have a problem with the most is that apparently 1.6 pounds breaks arms, but 1.3 pounds doesn't. I thought only ants were sensitive to that difference in weight...

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    My 'Aunt' can lift 1.6 pounds right up over her head! And she doesn't even break a sweat!

    So, come on folks, .3 pounds is not a big problem.

    I do have an idea though...I think HP could make an accessory, or team up with the company that made the LifeCall device. That way, if the extra 0.3 pounds of weight suddenly overcome you, or a sudden gravity fluctuation causes your grip to slip...leaving those horrid fingerprints (oh, what will the neighbors think...where's my Pledge spray?) streaking across your beloved, yet heavy, TouchPad as it plummets to the floor....NEVER FEAR! TouchPadCall is here! Just press the button and wait for the HP support crew to respond with:

    HP Support Crew Member: Hello Ms. Fletcher, how can I assist you today?

    You (your name is Ms. Fletcher by the way): Help, my TouchPad has fallen and I can't pick it up!

    HP Support Crew Member: Don't worry Ms. Fletcher, we get this a lot...a team of trained TouchPad lifters is on their way and should arrive sometime in the coming weeks.

    You: Bless you HP!

    So don't worry TouchPad haters, HP has got things covered.

    For what its worth, I'm pretty excited about all that's happening in the webOS world.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 07/01/2011 at 09:10 AM.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    My 'Aunt' can lift 1.6 pounds right up over her head! And she doesn't even break a sweat!

    So, come on... .3 pounds...not a problem
    Being big win your opponents are thin isn't marketable. I could see if the battery was bigger but both the ipad and tab have larger batteries.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Since you asked - I'm here to help when I can, get help when I can, and read about the device(s) I like. I have a daughter and son-in-law that are uber-Apple fans. When he derides my WebOS decisions (and he does), I smile and say "It's nice that we both can get what we like". I don't have to justify my decisions to anyone.

    As far as looking like stubborn idiots to friends and many others, you really think that magnifying the negatives and insisting that they make the device a total failure makes you look less like an *****? Really???

    See, I just can't see that. Pretending that the device can't possibly ever have an HDMI connector (when in fact, it can; if/when HP (or someone) decides to make one) would seem to give your friends even more fodder to declare you stubborn.

    Ah well, it truly does not matter. Some like the device, some don't. This really is not supposed to be a place for those that are disappointed to vent their disappointment. Especially not a place for them to do so over and over. You'd actually probably find a more receptive audience on the other device forums.

    Who says this is not a place for people to talk about what they dislike about the device.(Please show me where it says this) This is a community about WEBOS products. It doesn't say anything about saying only good things about WebOS. Yes there is a difference between being a troll and giving your honest opinion about a product. I think the touchpad has good points . But I don't think they outweigh the negatives at this current time. Doesn't mean I'm not going to stick around and still hope that my needs can be met with a future update. But to say this is not a place to express disappointment is just silly. Just because someone likes a product but doesn't fall down on their knees worshiping it because of the brand of it and ignoring all the features that it could have doesn't mean they are not a fan of Webos. Yes some people don't acknowledge the good points either but some people here don't acknowledge the bad points so I guess it is kind of even.
  9. #29  
    While there are obviously issues with the TouchPad, all of this seems like "first world problems" to me. "I have to wait two seconds for an app to load....It weighs a few ounces more....it's .33 mm thicker how can i go on??? There's only 300 native apps....". And if that's totally an issue for some people then they should stay away from this device. For me personally, that's not an issue. I already have an iPad and guess what? It has its issues as well. I want the TouchPad for WebOS because I believe it's undoubtedly the best mobile OS. Still fully untapped potential? Yes. But so was the iPad a few years ago.
  10. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The funny thing is, not sure why people are so upset about no video out, when HP never announced it to begin with. Wasn't in any of their specs, was never stated, and then consumers are all in a fuss because there is no video out that wasn't stated in the first place? Kinda silly.
    But when you price similarly to competition expect to be compared at a fine point. Its like Toyota pricing a car similarly to a BMW and then not offer similar features found on the BMW and wonder why it is getting criticism later on.
  11. #31  
    All this name calling and bickering is honestly pointless. When it boils down to it, you decide what you want with your choice to buy something or not. If you were looking forward to the TP's release but are disappointed with HP's execution, that's not an unreasonable reaction. But the non-stop whining and complaining is simply childish.

    The TP was announced how long ago? The specs were revealed how long ago? The price? This is all resources with which to make an informed buying decision. If it doesn't do what you need/want it to do then either don't buy or buy it and be pro-active in voicing your concerns to those that can help; such as HP themselves, the lovely crew at webOS Internals and all the other helpful people that uses these forums.

    No, this forum is not a diary for people to complain about all their friends/co-workers/frenemies/whoever having a better/cooler/more productive tablet. When it comes down to it, no one is making you buy this device.

    If you're disappointed, then I'm sorry but it's just a tablet and people get disappointed all the time. It's not like it's an experimental cancer treatment that ends up not working. Your life will go on, you can return something if you don't like and are free to try something else.
    I am, therefore I think
  12. j_benj's Avatar
    Posts
    224 Posts
    Global Posts
    465 Global Posts
    #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Ummm no offense here, but doesn't it make sense to do photo or movie processing/creation on a quadcore laptop with about 8 gigs of RAM and a high def blu ray screen as opposed to a 1.2Ghz dual core tablet with 1 gig of ram? Thats like me complaining about how long it would take to convert a blu ray rip movie on a tablet. I would never even bother trying when I have a desktop that rips through those like nothing.
    he didn't say he was editing the photos, he said he wanted to use the tablet to DISPLAY the photos to his clients. big difference. I have the camera connection kit for my iPad2 and I use it all the time when I'm on the road. being able to grab photos from my camera (or a friend's, for that matter) any time is invaluable. in fact, I was traveling last weekend with friends and was able to instantly collect photos from their cameras and organize them into an album.. no waiting for them to be emailed or posted to Facebook. and not to mention, you CAN do some great image processing very quickly on the iPad using several apps (I use Photogene). no, it's not really ideal for professional use, but for my personal pictures it's perfect.

    you know as well as I do that if the TouchPad launched with awesome built-in photo editing tools, you guys would be cheering about it. bottom line is, we should all buy the devices that work best for us. if the TP doesn't have the functionality someone wants and another tablet does, the decision should be clear. sure I love webOS, I love my Verizon Pre2, i loathe my iPhone4 (work) and I love the iPad2. I sincerely hope the TP succeeds.. especially because that wil
    mean there will be a TP2!
  13. WhoAmI's Avatar
    Posts
    229 Posts
    Global Posts
    257 Global Posts
    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Ummm no offense here, but doesn't it make sense to do photo or movie processing/creation on a quadcore laptop with about 8 gigs of RAM and a high def blu ray screen as opposed to a 1.2Ghz dual core tablet with 1 gig of ram? Thats like me complaining about how long it would take to convert a blu ray rip movie on a tablet. I would never even bother trying when I have a desktop that rips through those like nothing.
    Processing - heck yeah! My Core2 barely handles it as is! The point though is that I want to preview photo's on-location on a large screen. When you shoot RAW, you need to read that still for a preview.

    An Eye-Fi card would be my best bet at this point with a touchpad but the software still isn't there to support Direct Mode (see http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3011946).
    --WhoAmI--
    Sprint Palm Treo 700p with MR --> Palm Pre

    T-Money is now available for the webOS! Financial planning has never been easier.
  14. #34  
    Quote Originally Posted by spectre686 View Post
    The problem isn't just the weight difference. The problem is that it weighs more but has less battery life. It is thicker but has some laggy bits. It has less features but is thicker and heavier. IF it was much faster then an ipad, or had more apps, or had great battery life I feel like less people would care about the weight or thickness but it doesn't.
    Sorry, but the repetition of the "bad battery life" meme all over this site is getting really old at this point. I read many, many reviews in which TP battery life was considered to be quite good, and on par with other tablets. Can someone point me to the "crummy battery life" reviews?
  15. #35  
    I really agree with your point that the positives out weigh the negatives. I think that is one reason why a lot of the reviews are negative is because it is harder to focus a review on the pros because you HAVE to put the negatives in. Also pros and negatives aren't something that you can easily weigh and compare. They don't have a definite worth. But for, the pros completely out weigh the bad.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Sorry, but the repetition of the "bad battery life" meme all over this site is getting really old at this point. I read many, many reviews in which TP battery life was considered to be quite good, and on par with other tablets. Can someone point me to the "crummy battery life" reviews?
    If battery life isn't as good as the iPad 2 then apparently it sucks. From what I can gather, only the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 have better battery. Josh from TIMN was actually toting that battery life was better than almost all the Honeycomb tablets he's used as well as the BB Playbook.
    I am, therefore I think
  17. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by grappler View Post
    Sorry, but the repetition of the "bad battery life" meme all over this site is getting really old at this point. I read many, many reviews in which TP battery life was considered to be quite good, and on par with other tablets. Can someone point me to the "crummy battery life" reviews?
    its on par with the Moto Xoom(nothing to brag about), while the playbook, GT10.1, and Ipad 2 all have better battery life
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    If battery life isn't as good as the iPad 2 then apparently it sucks. From what I can gather, only the iPad 2 and Galaxy Tab 10.1 have better battery. Josh from TIMN was actually toting that battery life was better than almost all the Honeycomb tablets he's used as well as the BB Playbook.
    He also said it's as good as the iPad (2, I presume):

    So far in my testing, battery life seems outstanding on the TouchPad. While I haven’t yet had a chance to run our full suite of battery tests on the tablet, I can tell you that in day-to-day, very heavy use, it performed excellently. On a typical day of rigorous testing (app downloads, 3D gaming, Skype calls, lots of web browsing, constant email work, Twitter, messaging, and more), the TouchPad went from 9AM in the morning to 12AM that night and still had 20 percent of its battery life. In lighter use, I left the device off the charger for 3 days straight and still had plenty of juice. HP says that the tablet is capable of 8 hours of web browsing, 9 hours of video playback, and 3.4 days of audio playback, and those estimations seem right on to me. As with the iPad and some of the Honeycomb devices, you won’t be reaching for the dock constantly.
    This is a guy who actually knows how to use WebOS, but isn't biased toward it. He calls the battery life not miserable, not OK, not so-so, not good, not great, but "OUSTANDING" and "EXCELLENT"--after banging on the TP for a weak.

    If we're just going to compare mAh numbers and ignore user experience, than by all means, spec away.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    All this name calling and bickering is honestly pointless. When it boils down to it, you decide what you want with your choice to buy something or not. If you were looking forward to the TP's release but are disappointed with HP's execution, that's not an unreasonable reaction. But the non-stop whining and complaining is simply childish.

    The TP was announced how long ago? The specs were revealed how long ago? The price? This is all resources with which to make an informed buying decision. If it doesn't do what you need/want it to do then either don't buy or buy it and be pro-active in voicing your concerns to those that can help; such as HP themselves, the lovely crew at webOS Internals and all the other helpful people that uses these forums.

    No, this forum is not a diary for people to complain about all their friends/co-workers/frenemies/whoever having a better/cooler/more productive tablet. When it comes down to it, no one is making you buy this device.

    If you're disappointed, then I'm sorry but it's just a tablet and people get disappointed all the time. It's not like it's an experimental cancer treatment that ends up not working. Your life will go on, you can return something if you don't like and are free to try something else.

    Ok please show me where in the specs sheet it said this tablet will still not have a totally gpu accelerated interface at launch. Thanks.

    Secondly. I can find nowhere it says that you can't complain about the touchpad in these forums about the touchpad. Yeah maybe some people don't like the complaining. But unless they are a troll what is the harm in someone giving there honest opinion about what they don't like about the touchpad and what parts they wish could be better.

    Why do some people think this forum has to be a hpalm lovefest and anytime you say even one thing bad about a product or even mention that you think it could be improved upon you are a traitor-troll who should be burned at the stake.

    Just because something the way it is we should just accept it and not want for anything else?
    Last edited by spectre686; 07/01/2011 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Changed some wording as I realized it was inappropiate.
  20. i2y4n's Avatar
    Posts
    278 Posts
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
       #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    The funny thing is, not sure why people are so upset about no video out, when HP never announced it to begin with. Wasn't in any of their specs, was never stated, and then consumers are all in a fuss because there is no video out that wasn't stated in the first place? Kinda silly.
    Exactly. TouchPad NEVER had video out, the fans were pulling at straws. Yes you can be mad about it, but you should of already gotten over it a few months ago.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions