Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 38 of 38
Like Tree25Likes
  1. #21  
    I may have not bought a touchpad and won't for awhile if I do at all. But having a update like this a week after release will be a great move ahead. If they paired that update with Office Editing. It would make this TouchPad a home run in my books.

    However I still feel the TouchPad slacked off in some fundemental apps. No Camera App? No Calculator App? No Powerpoint Reading?

    Just seems odd.

    I look forward to reading about this coming update "in the coming weeks".
  2. #22  
    Really, this shows more how unprepared they really were for the Touchpad. If the supposed update with GPU acceleration is "coming soon", with a few more people working on it it probably would've been here on launch day.

    I just don't have as much confidence, or as much blind faith, in their statements.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  3. #23  
    Yeah, because doing an entirely new framework and set of apps is something doable in a matter of weeks. And if you need more people, just throw them on the table, having knowledge of tools and technologies used is irrelevant, and so is having to rework the base underliying Linux and webkit system.

    Because, you know, this is like cooking pizzas...

    -- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps:

  4. #24  
    Delaying the launch would have been a poor decision, as well, UNLESS, they released the review units to the media reviewers under NDA, telling them that the units are not fully optimized yet, but would be within 2 weeks with an OTA update, and to review them for everything other than the lag, which is promised to be fixed with the OTA update.

    Then, the reveiwers would have agreed that a delay would be the right thing to do, and they wouldn't be so quick to judge the devices poorly, or the decision to delay the launch, and when the OTA update did arrive on thier devices, they'd have an already prepared review ready to modify with the performance improvements of the device, for a quick review turnaround.

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  5. angiest's Avatar
    Posts
    933 Posts
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    #25  
    Simply stating upfront, I do not know if what has been reported (lag is due to not having GPU acceleration finished), just putting in my $0.02.

    HP has lined up a lot of retailers. I would imagine that makes delays in releasing the device difficult to deal with (this is not a video game console with only a couple of players, but a saturated, highly fluid market). There was a point, probably in late May or early June (if not sooner), where they had to freeze webOS 3 so they could do release engineering for the build that would be preloaded on the devices they were shipping day one. Apparently they didn't quite get some things finished by the drop dead date, so they did release engineering for the release date devices, and finished up the work on everything else for a 3.0.x release, and I wouldn't be surprised (assuming the reports are true), that this release is late in release engineering.
  6. Xadion's Avatar
    Posts
    268 Posts
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    #26  
    Aye, whomever said that the firmware on the demos/TP was a revision from "Last week" - I dont quite see as feasable. 90% of HP products are made in China, I had a custom laptop and it shipped from Shanghi, it took surprisingly 3 days to get from there to my doorstep- I have had great shipping from China before- sometimes its faster than from midwest etc to florida.

    True the manufacurer can have 100k units of hardware made, they still have to ALL be flashed with firmware for launch if its not on chip during production- either way it takes time- all of this, I do not see how the shipped firmware could be "only 1 week old" and I am sure review units have enven older firmware - same as demo units.

    My advice to HP- lets say current firmware on shipped retail TPs has 30% GPU UI acceleration and you all have been working on it and right now its at 60% and you hope next week it is 100% - my advice- push and OTA update to get it from 30 to 60 - the perception will be good, you can always then push antother once its 100% - then you are atleast giving something to your customers rather than "wait, its almost done!" "oh its alittle longer!"
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    Aye, whomever said that the firmware on the demos/TP was a revision from "Last week" - I dont quite see as feasable. 90% of HP products are made in China, I had a custom laptop and it shipped from Shanghi, it took surprisingly 3 days to get from there to my doorstep- I have had great shipping from China before- sometimes its faster than from midwest etc to florida.

    True the manufacurer can have 100k units of hardware made, they still have to ALL be flashed with firmware for launch if its not on chip during production- either way it takes time- all of this, I do not see how the shipped firmware could be "only 1 week old" and I am sure review units have enven older firmware - same as demo units.

    My advice to HP- lets say current firmware on shipped retail TPs has 30% GPU UI acceleration and you all have been working on it and right now its at 60% and you hope next week it is 100% - my advice- push and OTA update to get it from 30 to 60 - the perception will be good, you can always then push antother once its 100% - then you are atleast giving something to your customers rather than "wait, its almost done!" "oh its alittle longer!"
    It should never even be at 30%. Do it once, do it right. Half-in things just gets you into trouble and you end up putting forth more effort in the long run.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    It should never even be at 30%. Do it once, do it right. Half-in things just gets you into trouble and you end up putting forth more effort in the long run.
    Do you do that at the expense of making the "coming this summer" which got SEVERE criticism into "coming maybe in fall?"

    Its the compromise that is the issue.
  9. #29  
    Yeah, delay it another month and you would have seen this outside HP/Palm in Sunnyvale. Lol
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
  10. #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    Do you do that at the expense of making the "coming this summer" which got SEVERE criticism into "coming maybe in fall?"

    Its the compromise that is the issue.
    The criticism was brought about from the vagueness of the statement in itself. If they said back in Feb of this year "The Touchpad will Release September 1st 2011". I think everyone would have bawked at a date so far in advance, but at least they would have had a date rather then being jerked around with coming months refreshing precentral's homepage for the unknowing rumor or leak.

    Why do you think "coming weeks/months/days/years" is the constant mame here on precentral. Because that's all they ever say. Never has a solid date ever been giving for anything with these companies. The closet thing we have received is a press release saying its out in 2 weeks after we screamed and hollar'd at "coming months" for months.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by feltmoney View Post
    The only negative I have in the back of my mind regarding the onslaught of critical reviews out there (most of which can be addressed with App proliferation and OTA updates) is that the average target customer will read them, and then decide on an iPad 2 or Galaxy Tab 10.1 as a better alternative.
    I think it'll be BB or Wally World reps deciding for many of them, unfortunately, and we know how much they understand WebOS.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I have been hearing about speed improvements for 2 years now. The way things are going I have a strong feeling HP will eventually put Webos on the back burner.
    Yes, HP is a very intelligent company. They will spend 1.2 Billion on a company so they can put it on the backburner. Because, you know. they have nothing better to do, so may as well throw cash into the fire just for the hell of it.
  13. #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    I may have not bought a touchpad and won't for awhile if I do at all. But having a update like this a week after release will be a great move ahead. If they paired that update with Office Editing. It would make this TouchPad a home run in my books.

    However I still feel the TouchPad slacked off in some fundemental apps. No Camera App? No Calculator App? No Powerpoint Reading?

    Just seems odd.

    I look forward to reading about this coming update "in the coming weeks".
    I noticed that my ipod 4th gen didn't come with a calculator app either. Kinda silly. I had to download one. Mind you, just as easy to bookmark an online calculator webpage.
  14. #34  
    With regard to the delay release argument - I suspect that HP product marketing had a problem with that in that right now TP and iPad2 are natural competitors with the same 1024x768 screen resolution.

    There seem to be persistent rumours that Apple will announce the next generation of phone and pad with a new OS sometime in the September/October timeframe. As always the kit won't be available until 2012 however if the spec of 'iPad3' is enticing people will delay a purchase decision that will slow TP sales - and HP didn't want to miss the current opportunity window.

    I'm not an Apple fan by the way - and am rapidly moving towards an Apple-free household - but I do seriously respect their market shaping/marketing capability.
  15. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #35  
    If Apple announces the Ipad 3 in sept/oct then HP is in some trouble
  16. #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    The criticism was brought about from the vagueness of the statement in itself. If they said back in Feb of this year "The Touchpad will Release September 1st 2011". I think everyone would have bawked at a date so far in advance, but at least they would have had a date rather then being jerked around with coming months refreshing precentral's homepage for the unknowing rumor or leak.

    Why do you think "coming weeks/months/days/years" is the constant mame here on precentral. Because that's all they ever say. Never has a solid date ever been giving for anything with these companies. The closet thing we have received is a press release saying its out in 2 weeks after we screamed and hollar'd at "coming months" for months.
    I agree the vagueness was part of it, but I'd estimate at least half of the criticism was:

    "When Apple makes an announcement, they have devices for sale 2 WEEKS LATER. FAIL HP."

    You know thats true. I'm guessing they were trying to hit a lull between Ipad2 and 3. They had to balance a product that was lacking in some apps/optimization, but I'd guess they are not worried since they know how close they are to being done. If they see the trajectory on track for a few weeks, by the time enough are out in some numbers, you have things a little more tweeked.

    I realize that sacrificed the aforementioned less than stellar reviews, but if you wait, then the Ipad3 takes all the headlines. Don't get me wrong, they missed some basic stuff with the Pre (other than build quality) that hurt it, such as voice dial, auto focus camera, visual voicemail.... basic stuff. It could be a replay. But if you remember, the camera got video capability very soon after launch of the Pre. I am hoping the optimization, document editing, powerpoint, and the usb to HDMI out thingy gets solved in short order also. Sure, right now it seems a little bit of a replay. But if its fixed soon as they say..... what's the big deal?

    This is software stuff, not hardware stuff that was the major issue that sank the Pre-.
  17. #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by Klownicle View Post
    However I still feel the TouchPad slacked off in some fundemental apps. No Camera App? No Calculator App? No Powerpoint Reading?
    I don't need a camera app per se, but the ability to use it context sensitively ie take a photo for a contact using the in-built camera for example would be nice.

    As for a calculator app, there are ones available in the app catalog. The iPad didn't ship with one either.

    Lastly, powerpoint viewing - my TouchPad opens and views Powerpoint slides without issue.

    I'm not saying there aren't things that I'd like the TouchPad to have that aren't there currently, but to be honest there are things I'd like the iPad to do that it can't as well, and in that instance some of those are enough for me to use a TouchPad instead.

    Regards,
    Shane.
    kjb86 likes this.
  18. #38  
    Apple has a mythical level of secrecy, which is why they can wait until two weeks before the product is on the shelves to announce the product. AND quietly manufacture hundreds of thousands of them.

    Also, Apple can come out with just one or two new features and call it a new product. Partly because the iPad already does what a lot of people want -- although it also makes it harder to get people to upgrade just to save a couple mm and add a camera.

    Meanwhile, Apple's one year head start means webOS and Android are still catching up. Rewriting all the system apps in Enyo (webOS 3.0) or Android's Fragments API (Honeycomb) leaves less time for optimization and new features.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions