Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    For the life of me I can't name two celebrities that have appeared in Apple commercials. I don't get HP's strategy of getting celebrities in their commercials to sale Touchpads. The touchpad isn't a Tmobile Sidekick. Apple uses the same two guys for everything. Either that or its somebodys finger/hand etc. No names. Just the product. What segment of the market is going to pickup an Touchpad because Nick Cannon says so. Or Russel Brand. Or Manny Paciquo.

Seriously who's running their marketing dept. If I was in charge I would take a page from Apple. Get two guys; one named "Fun" and the other "Business". The commercial would showcase them trying to one-up each other with TP features designed for their specific character. Fun vs Business.
    i agree, I think celebrity ads is basically overspending. Money can be used for much more creative stuff. or even lower the price of the device to make it a hit.

Celebrity ads is just very old school, like 1990s.
    Last edited by clevin; 06/30/2011 at 08:10 PM.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    How much does Apple spend to get their laptops and desktops in nearly every movie I have watched in the past two years? Product placement ads with celebrities...
    Well, maybe you should be running the marketing dept I guess. I agree - the TouchPad copied iPad specs, why not copy their marketing too. Better yet, why doesn't HP just re-brand Apple stuff and call it a day.

oh wait ... already tried that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post
    For the life of me I can't name two celebrities that have appeared in Apple commercials. I don't get HP's strategy of getting celebrities in their commercials to sale Touchpads. The touchpad isn't a Tmobile Sidekick. Apple uses the same two guys for everything. Either that or its somebodys finger/hand etc. No names. Just the product. What segment of the market is going to pickup an Touchpad because Nick Cannon says so. Or Russel Brand. Or Manny Paciquo.

Seriously who's running their marketing dept. If I was in charge I would take a page from Apple. Get two guys; one named "Fun" and the other "Business". The commercial would showcase them trying to one-up each other with TP features designed for their specific character. Fun vs Business.
    Quote Originally Posted by akshunj View Post
    How much does Apple spend to get their laptops and desktops in nearly every movie I have watched in the past two years? Product placement ads with celebrities...
    probably not much.

I saw so many Pre in Bones, it can't be that expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    probably not much.

i believe phones in tv shows as opposed to big movies are diff priced.

tv = tv
    movies = superbowl

or something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    i believe phones in tv shows as opposed to big movies are diff priced.

tv = tv
    movies = superbowl

or something like that
    put it in tv ! Movie is not doing nearly as well as TVs.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    celebrities shows up in ads -> ads gets tweeted to fans of those celebrities that don't follow webos = more views

btw, just because an ad works for apple, doesn't mean it works for others.
    Justin Long was in all the Mac Vs. PC Ads. He was in movies and TV.
    Did you know I can also annoy you on twitter? @mikevember
    John Hodgman and Justin Long spent quite some time playing PC and Mac. The "Think Differently" ads used images of famous persons.
    There was a Eminem and Coldplay commerical.
    Global Posts
    380 Global Posts
    probably not much.

According to Wikipedia, product placement ads in major films was nearly a $2 billion industry in 2010.

Product placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    probably not much.

How about nothing:
    Why Does Apple Score So Much Free Product Placement?
    Apple Is A Product Placement Machine: Managed To Get In 41% Of The Most Popular Movies
    According to Wikipedia, product placement ads in major films was nearly a $2 billion industry in 2010.

Product placement - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    how about tv?
    Most of the time they need a prop and most people happen to use macs or iphones so they put them in a scene.
    What gives.....scratching head
    Quote Originally Posted by Dvigilante1 View Post

It works for their PC department and theyre no slouch in that market.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    This is how you do a tablet commerical.

Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    This is how you do a tablet commerical.
    i like it.

Did hp do a research on celebrity ad effectiveness recently?
    Bono might have been in 1 or 2 Apple commercials
    I see pandas.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast