Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 72
Like Tree28Likes
  1.    #1  
    We already saw the opened touchpad, somebody take a guess what exactly inside touchpad that makes it heavier than galaxy tab 10.1 or iPad2?

    Not about the importance or unimportance of it, just a pure math.

    anybody has some ideas?
    Last edited by clevin; 06/30/2011 at 07:04 PM.
  2. #2  
    If you watch this video of a TouchPad being taken apart by TechRepublic, you will see for yourself
  3. #3  
    lets see you mean the 6000 mah battery compared to the ipad 2's 6930 mah battery

    youre gripping at straws here
    iFixit Successfully Unloaded iPad 2, Using Battery 6930 mAh Li-Po | News, Reviews, Gadget Database

    or maybe its the 6000 mah battry that the ipad gen 1 sported
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    If you watch this video of a TouchPad being taken apart by TechRepublic, you will see for yourself
    nice find, but that only explains why its larger, not why its heavier.

    Is it speaker? or something else?
  5. #5  
    The TP is built more using more like a laptop instead of tablet (see video). This could very well be a cause of a bit of weight. But we are only talking .38 of a pound difference. Everyone makes it sound like it's an arm breaker. LOL
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2011 at 07:39 PM.
    mrkalel likes this.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The TP is built more like a laptop instead of tablet (see video). This could very well be a cause of a bit of weight. But we are only talking .38 of a pound difference. Everyone makes it sound like it's an arm breaker. LOL
    I didn't hear he saying that, I heard he was saying its constructed more like a pc, so its easier to dissemble and change parts if needed. Not actually "using pc parts"? Is there a time in the video you would like to point me to?
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2011 at 07:44 PM.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The TP is built more like a laptop instead of tablet (see video). This could very well be a cause of a bit of weight. But we are only talking .38 of a pound difference. Everyone makes it sound like it's an arm breaker. LOL
    Haha, I know, people complaining about this little weight difference are big divas. Soo funny.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/01/2011 at 07:44 PM.
    Sprint Love
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  8. #8  
    Cannot be heavier than a laptop so purpose still served.....
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

    www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
  9. #9  
    its the cards
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    its the cards
    Which cards? oh darn it
  11. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #11  
    It's around 5 ounces heavier I believe.

    They described it was constructed like a PC. Most parts were separate and could be removed. I picked up on two factors. One is the point he made about the parts being separate instead of some fused together as other devices. The other is how the way things are assembled adds incremental weight. Screws instead of bonding/adhesive are one example.

    The speakers may add some weight as well. Does the competition have speakers like that?

    I suppose it comes down to the nickle and dime effect. I wonder if it's also a result of the TouchPad being constructed in factories used to making laptops/PCs. Instead of retooling the factory or finding another source, they stuck with what they had and how they know to do it. That's just a passing thought.
    bobsentell and minority like this.
  12. #12  
    the hopes and dreams of the webos fan community
    LocoTreoGurl likes this.
  13. Hobbz's Avatar
    Posts
    273 Posts
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    its the cards
    hahahaha - nice one
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Which cards?
    i was kidding.. most likely its the weight distribution of everthing..

    the only "thick" things where ..

    a) Battery
    b) LCD
    c) back housing assy

    here is the image from techrepublic

    clevin likes this.
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Hobbz View Post
    They described it was constructed like a PC. Most parts were separate and could be removed. I picked up on two factors. One is the point he made about the parts being separate instead of some fused together as other devices. The other is how the way things are assembled adds incremental weight. Screws instead of bonding/adhesive are one example..
    That sounds great from a hardware hacking standpoint.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That sounds great from a hardware hacking standpoint.
    And ease/expense of servicing/repairing.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  17. #17  
    It's clearly all the sexyness they packed into WebOS 3.0 that added the extra weight.
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    It's clearly all the sexyness they packed into WebOS 3.0 that added the extra weight.
    That's what I was going to say. It's the WebOS magic! iOS doesn't have any.
  19. #19  
    at least it's serviceable if need be. ipad is fused together thus requiring a new ipad if an innard goes berserk.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 06/30/2011 at 11:25 PM.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    That sounds great from a hardware hacking standpoint.
    It isn't great actually, it just means HP didn't invest a penny on hardware engineering.
    IcerC likes this.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions