Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree28Likes
    ipad 2 and ipad 1 weights are like night and day....you can feel the difference easily.
    IcerC likes this.
    My ten year old had no problems holding up the touchpad in front of him, playing Paperboy for 20 minutes or so. I really don't see the fuss here....
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I bought two Touchpads 32gb. They work great when you don't have free weights around for my biggest loser DVD's
    The deal is not big...but here is the deal.

From day one Palm has put their product in a light that is high end....even when they product doesn't feel it.

If HP wants to play with the big boys....they need to make quality hardware...that includes the weight.

if not, then we should compare the hardware with the Acer tablet and the mid teir companies and leave Apple and Samsung at the top.
    IcerC likes this.
    Say what you want but the weight of a tablet matters. There were plenty of complaints about the weight of the iPad 1 and how it's not comfortable to hold unless you have it propped up on your lap. Dismising this is very small minded.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    spectre686 and gabe2gg like this.
    I agree if the touchpad was priced differently then I would not say a thing about weight or thickness. But they intentionally priced it to compete with the tablets that are thinner and lighter then the touchpad while the same time have similar or better battery life and screens. To someone going in the store and seeing them beside the Tab 10.1 and the Ipad 2 they are going to have one more reason not to buy the TouchPad and I think they really don't need to give consumers any more incentive to pass up the touchpad. But here is hoping the TouchPad 2 rocks it out with lighter and sexier design!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Say what you want but the weight of a tablet matters. There were plenty of complaints about the weight of the iPad 1 and how it's not comfortable to hold unless you have it propped up on your lap. Dismising this is very small minded.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I definitely acknowledge the .38 difference in weight, I'm simply dismissing the shrill tone of some, particularly when I see a child handle the Touchpad without any noticeable struggle. If it's a deal breaker, buy an iPad 2 and be done with it.

For me personally, the trade-off in weight of an iPad 2 does not outweigh (no pun intended) the value of multi-tasking and synergy that the Touchpad offers.
    Go to Best Buy or Wal Mart. Pick up the TouchPad and play with it for a couple minutes. Hold it in landscape with one hand and use your other hand to operate the launcher and mess around. Then go to the iPad2 and do the same thing. There will be a night and day difference between the feel and weight of the devices.

It's because you're holding the device on one side with one hand, but the center of the weight is 5" away, easily doubling or tripling how much weight you feel due to leverage. So while the difference between the two tablets is only 3 or 4 ounces, it feels like a pound.

Adding the thickness of the device also seems to make the TouchPad feel heavier to me.
    IcerC likes this.
    I tested this and the ipad seems heavier cause the metal. You're all wrong. Good day.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Brain Mantis View Post
    The deal is not big...but here is the deal.

From day one Palm has put their product in a light that is high end....even when they product doesn't feel it.

If HP wants to play with the big boys....they need to make quality hardware...that includes the weight.

if not, then we should compare the hardware with the Acer tablet and the mid teir companies and leave Apple and Samsung at the top.
    I'm thinking that Hp was focusing more on the software than the hardware aspect of things. I bet they had the hardware done a while ago, but since they were trying to get webOS 3 out the door as fast as they could, the delay ended up allowing the competition to revise their hardware to be lighter, thinner, etc. Thats my theory. I think once HP gets control of webOS and it's bugs, the hardware will start to catch up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Neruda6000 View Post
    I definitely acknowledge the .38 difference in weight, I'm simply dismissing the shrill tone of some, particularly when I see a child handle the Touchpad without any noticeable struggle. If it's a deal breaker, buy an iPad 2 and be done with it.

For me personally, the trade-off in weight of an iPad 2 does not outweigh (no pun intended) the value of multi-tasking and synergy that the Touchpad offers.
    Well, it all boils down to some of us being used to having heavier weight in our hands.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I'm thinking that Hp was focusing more on the software than the hardware aspect of things. I bet they had the hardware done a while ago, but since they were trying to get webOS 3 out the door as fast as they could, the delay ended up allowing the competition to revise their hardware to be lighter, thinner, etc. Thats my theory. I think once HP gets control of webOS and it's bugs, the hardware will start to catch up.
    Hopefully...i mean its HP, they can certainly make hardware...but they have never really targeted the high end before, so its confusing to see where exactly the TouchPad is aiming. Asus and Acer made an andoird tablet at $450 and $400 respectively....while Acer is certainly chunky, the asus tablet is pretty thin (not gtab/iPad2 thin) and still has an IPS display.

We laughed when the Xoom was priced around the iPad price...but HP is doing the same thing...and yes it ultimately boils down to preference, but being realistic, every tablet maker is competing against the iPad right now for market and mind share. If you are coming in with a product that feels less high end, consumer is going to expect the price to reflect that.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234