Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    I've been re-re-re-reading House of Leaves but I think I'm going to jump ship to Garfield Comics because they're far superior:

The book is 100% heavier and thicker, making it uncomfortable to hold and I don't want to grow muscles from using them, thanks
    The book is hard to understand, and I don't see why I should ever use my brain if I can comfortably read garfield comics
    Nobody I know has heard of House of Leaves, but everybody knows Garfield!
    Much more Garfield merchandise available on the shelves... There's even an app for that!
    1 gram is 1000% heavier than 0.1grams. Try to extend your hands with 1 gram of salt, and with 0.1 grams.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps:

Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    1 gram is 1000% heavier than 0.1grams. Try to extend your hands with 1 gram of salt, and with 0.1 grams.
    I never stated the math was that simple, actually, I consciously avoided it.
    Seriously, Augustofretes, I can't imagine a situation where I would be holding the pad with my arms extended, and in that situation, it doesn't matters if it's 780 or 650: you'll get tired anyways.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps:

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Um first off, 1.6 lbs / 1.33 lbs is not 30 heavier. It's approximately 20%, just wanted to clear that up first.

And the reason is people keep complaining about the weight difference is that due to physical forces, such as gravity, force, yadda yadda after a few hours, holding a device that is 1.6 lbs will seem heavier than one that is 1.33 lbs. That said, I don't know many people who primarily use a tablet with both arms extended directly in front of them. Despite the fact that there are cases with stands built in for more comfortable use, for argument's sake if you can't or wont use one, there are still other ways to hold a tablet.

I've found that resting the device lightly on your non-dominant forearm, so that is balances between your wrist and elbow joint, while gripping the device with the hand on that same arm is a pretty secure, comfortable position.

Ultimately, regardless of weight or iPad vs. Touchpad, or personal tech in general, I think that people just find any reason to complain. It's kind of ridiculous.
    I am, therefore I think
    ...Extra speaker and touch coils? I am sure HP knows exactly where the differences are.
    The common position for holding a tablet (ignoring some details) works like this (assuming an 90 degree holding):

(Force*.06)-(22*(.09+.06))-(7.2*.4) = 0

Assuming somethings I don't want to discuss (but I think they stand for more or less the average), where 7.11 = weight of the Touchpad in Newtons.

The formula for the iPad 2 is:

(Force*.06)-(22*(.09+.06))-(5.78*.4) = 0

So, the Force needed is (one muscle for each case, other muscles the calcs are relatively similar):

Touchpad: 103 N
    iPad 2: 93 N

Let us imagine (IMAGINE, all the following is an oversimplification) your strengh + stamina is 2 hrs with the Touchpad, let us imagine you use 103 N/minute, so 180 * 103 N = 18,540 N, the same amount energy will get you 199 minutes with the iPad 2, that's 19 minutes more (relative to a single muscle, of course, if one muscle gives up, it is enough for you to give up...). Also, this numbers varies according to many factors (specially holding), for the record, the position assumed was the most comfortable

------

When I got the numbers I used the weight in grams (as far as I remember the touchpad weight is 780 g, while the iPad is 600 g, that's a 30% difference, as (obviously) 60 g = 10% and 60 * 3 = 180 so 10% * 3 = 30%. But I've just checked, the weight is actually 740 grams, it doesn't affect the result, since I converted it to newtons using pounds). This should also clarify why the salt 1 g vs .1 g and the 1,000% isn't really a counter-example (as the difference in the resulting Ns would be extremely small).
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/01/2011 at 08:50 AM.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    My guess is that the battery and screen are by far the heaviest components. Anyone know for sure?
    Once again, I don't see how holding an object directing in front of you is supposed to be a comfortable position if you plan to be using the devices for a couple hours minimum. A cell phone, sure. But a tablet? No, way. You can comfortably hold a table against your forearm using your hand to grip one side; this allows you a more comfortable experience and doesn't tire out your arms as much.

Kind of like how people typically shift the weight of their body to one leg or the other while standing because after a while of say standing in line to purchase a brand new Touchpad (lol), both legs would get very tired. There are people who's watches weigh more than most tablets out on the market, seriously.
    I am, therefore I think
    I'd say the glass is heavier than the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Once again, I don't see how holding an object directing in front of you is supposed to be a comfortable position if you plan to be using the devices for a couple hours minimum. A cell phone, sure. But a tablet? No, way. You can comfortably hold a table against your forearm using your hand to grip one side; this allows you a more comfortable experience and doesn't tire out your arms as much.

Kind of like how people typically shift the weight of their body to one leg or the other while standing because after a while of say standing in line to purchase a brand new Touchpad (lol), both legs would get very tired. There are people who's watches weigh more than most tablets out on the market, seriously.
    which is how most people read "dead tree" books, many of which weigh more than the TouchPad. Arguing over less than 200 grams is silly. The only people who would really care are shipping companies and extreme backpackers. For everyone else, it is an insignificant amount. I put more grams of milk on my breakfast cereal.
    clayclay350 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    But we are only talking .38 of a pound difference. Everyone makes it sound like it's an arm breaker. LOL
    It may not be an arm breaker but for many, a deal breaker.
    Poor iPad 1 - it will likely sit on the shelves now and languish. =(
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    Poor iPad 1 - it will likely sit on the shelves now and languish. =(
    IP-1 may still sell more than TP, as it is priced cheaper than IP-2 or TP.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    The way its put together is interesting. Looks like it could be the hardware version of the software heaven it is for hackers.

That said, the beautiful hacker heaven of the Pre didn't exactly set the world on fire with sales. I'd love for them to find a way to make its girth and weight competitive relative to the competition yet still have that hackability, giving it a legitimate niche bonus along with competitive top end size specs rather than just the legitimate niche bonus.

Maybe I'm an odd consumer, but part of what ended up making the iPad2 a worth while purchase when I didn't bother with the iPad1 was the size. I remember review after review with the iPad talking about it's weight being something you notice more and more if you use it to read or work on in bed or laying down where you're holding it above you...something I do every night. And the iPad2 was regarded as far better in that regards (and yet, honestly, still not good, just passable). For me, it was a selling point. Will it be a selling point for every consumer? Absolutely not. But I imagine you'll find more consumers turned on and motivated by a slimmer and lighter model then you'll find consumers motivated by the fact that its bigger and heavier than similar devices.

I'd imagine the speakers may account for a bit. The separated components could do it. Would the amount of extra material making its shell compared to other tablets potentially factor in?
    Reminds me of my old dell laptop. I could upgrade the CPU, GPU and Ram just by taking it apart. Could also upgrade the wireless card, keyboard, etc. Was a lot of fun. My laptop 4 years ago had a 512MB GPU that could run Age of Conan, a 1080P resolution display, etc.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    It's certainly not the apps

19% heavier is nothing to sneeze at
    Last edited by genearch; 07/01/2011 at 01:31 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by genearch View Post
    It's certainly not the apps
    LOL I can't even lie, that was pretty funny.
    I am, therefore I think
    When I'm lying down, I rest the bottom of the tablet on my chest. Kinda silly to hold it up... your arms would get tired in one heck of a hurry. Having owned both ipad1 and 2, I find the ipad2 is a little more uncomfortable to rest against your chest because it's thinness almost digs into your chest.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    IP-1 may still sell more than TP, as it is priced cheaper than IP-2 or TP.
    Yeah but it's soooo heavy.
    Global Posts
    530 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bulliedog View Post
    Yeah but it's soooo heavy.
    Yet, the iPad1 is still lighter than the TouchPad
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast