Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree28Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by augustofretes View Post
    It isn't great actually, it just means HP didn't invest a penny on hardware engineering.
    Huh?? None of that stuff is off the shelf... well, except the screws. Did they just run down to the local Fry's and point at parts and a case? LOL
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    I wonder what hardware frankenPads will be able to be created. Looks like we can easily mod our TouchPads to be specially design for us.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Quote Originally Posted by sketch42 View Post
    its the cards
    OhhHHHHHH....the cards are INNNN the computer...
    krisnicaj likes this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    The way its put together is interesting. Looks like it could be the hardware version of the software heaven it is for hackers.

That said, the beautiful hacker heaven of the Pre didn't exactly set the world on fire with sales. I'd love for them to find a way to make its girth and weight competitive relative to the competition yet still have that hackability, giving it a legitimate niche bonus along with competitive top end size specs rather than just the legitimate niche bonus.

Maybe I'm an odd consumer, but part of what ended up making the iPad2 a worth while purchase when I didn't bother with the iPad1 was the size. I remember review after review with the iPad talking about it's weight being something you notice more and more if you use it to read or work on in bed or laying down where you're holding it above you...something I do every night. And the iPad2 was regarded as far better in that regards (and yet, honestly, still not good, just passable). For me, it was a selling point. Will it be a selling point for every consumer? Absolutely not. But I imagine you'll find more consumers turned on and motivated by a slimmer and lighter model then you'll find consumers motivated by the fact that its bigger and heavier than similar devices.

I'd imagine the speakers may account for a bit. The separated components could do it. Would the amount of extra material making its shell compared to other tablets potentially factor in?
    So what. Where will you be able to get parts? Parts where never cheap for the pre and pixi or widely available.

Extra weight comes from thicker glass and a separated lcd and digitizer.

Looked like lots of extra room on the right side of the splayed open device.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    It isn't great actually, it just means HP didn't invest a penny on hardware engineering.
    Why would anyone want a device that they or a tech at a repair shop couldn't take apart and put back together? Or make mods to if they had the skills? To me, that's well worth the tiny bit of extra weight.
    Grabber5.0 likes this.
    By "off-the-shelf components," I think augustofretes means, rather than engineering their components, they just used pre-fabbed modules. It's like how Microsoft used a Celeron CPU for their original Xbox vs Sony designing and engineering their own CPU for the PS2.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    By "off-the-shelf components," I think augustofretes means, rather than engineering their components, they just used pre-fabbed modules. It's like how Microsoft used a Celeron CPU for their original Xbox vs Sony designing and engineering their own CPU for the PS2.
    Exactly. This is what "off the shelf component (COTS)" means. For instance, the iPad 2 kinda uses COTS, but not quite, since the motherboard isn't COTS (same with the Macbook Air), also, the A4 (dunno about the A5) is a slightly modified Cortex A8.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Why would anyone want a device that they or a tech at a repair shop couldn't take apart and put back together? Or make mods to if they had the skills? To me, that's well worth the tiny bit of extra weight.
    To you and the other .5% of geek users. Every device is repairable. You can actually buy ipad parts. Heck the xoom is even easier to repair and lighter than the touchpad.

Weights a con for most I'd say.

Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
    Ipad 2 weights 601 grams. Touchpad weighs 740 (but some say 700). It's .3 ounces, about 15%.
    What could make it heavier?

Inductive coils are additional in the Touchpad (they have to weigh something)
    Plastic v. Aluminum back - which is heavier?
    Two speakers vs. one speaker (got to be some decent weight gain with an additional speaker)
    It would be very interesting to weigh the batteries of the two - the Ipad 2 went to 3 thinner cells from 2 thicker ones in the Ipad. I bet the Touchpad has 2 thicker cells. By changing the battery, Apple was a able to remove a plastic support frame for the battery from the Ipad 2.
    Also, the Ipad 2 reduced the thickness of the glass, so that may be a difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    To you and the other .5% of geek users. Every device is repairable. You can actually buy ipad parts. Heck the xoom is even easier to repair and lighter than the touchpad.

It would be also important for a business with multiple of these devices deployed for their techs to be able to pop the device open, quickly replace a dead battery (for example) and then put it back into service. Those sorts of things are important if hardware is bought and meant to be depreciated over a number of years instead of being thrown away whenever a newer model comes out.

On what are you basing the ease of repair of the Xoom vs the Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post

Xoom has to be easier to take apart --- because you have to send it back to Motorola for the 4G hardware update.
    IcerC likes this.
    This is what Apple did to make the iPad 2 slimmer and lighter:

IHS iSuppli Teardown Reveals the iPad 2

After reading it, I think it has more to do with Apple doing something, than the Touchpad being weird.
    Last edited by augustofretes; 07/01/2011 at 04:56 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by HelloNNNewman View Post
    The TP is built more using more traditional laptap parts instead of tablet parts (see video). This could very well be a cause of a bit of weight. But we are only talking .38 of a pound difference. Everyone makes it sound like it's an arm breaker. LOL
    Seriously, after reading all the reviews complaining about 1.6 measly pounds, I have to wonder: where did all the males and mothers go? Males shouldn't even notice 1.6 pounds. Mothers have been carrying around much more than that for so long that they shouldn't notice 1.6 pounds. Maybe it's because of all the chickified men that the women aren't having babies, and both don't know what it's like to carry around 1.6 pounds.

Seriously, if you can feel the strain from 1.6 pounds, but 1.3 pounds is supposedly nothing, GO BACK TO THE DA*N GYM, or do any of a lot of things normal people do when they have to carry more than 1.6 pounds for an extended period of time.

These reviews made me lose respect for a lot of people, not because of their opinion of the Touchpad in general, but because 1.6 pounds is all it takes to make their little thin pitiful-excuse-for-arms stalks break under pressure.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Seriously? That's your take? Go to the gym to use a Touchpad? Do you actually think that's an argument XDDDD?

780 grams is 30% more than the iPad 2. Over extended amount of time usage (specially using it like a book) the lighter tablet will obviously be more comfortable and less tiresome and there is no pro to it for being heavier. Actually, extend your arms with nothing in your hands, and see how long it takes you to get tired, without holding anything.
    I seriously don't think adding just 1.6 pounds to my arm will make it tired so much more quickly than just holding it up without any weight on it.

My take was: if you have to go to the gym to use the Touchpad, but .3 pounds less is fine for you, then you are just too sensitive. Little girls probably have more endurance than you.

Grabber5.0 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I seriously don't think adding just 1.6 pounds to my arm will make it tired so much more quickly than just holding it up without any weight on it.

Try it. I think you need to recall your physics classes.
    IcerC likes this.
    Try it. I think you need to recall your physics classes.
    I think you need to recall your physiology classes sir...

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    The weight 'issue' is not about pure strength, it is about the stamina of one arm holding what is meant to be a device that supplants the laptop and netbook for casual computing use.

In the future OEMS will likely strive to keep getting the weight down as far as they can to make tablets a more attractive proposition for those that need portable convenience or those that believe the tablet will make a sufficient e-reader device (Touchpad is well over double the weight of a Kindle).

So yes, in certain circumstances weight does matter. Isn't a tablet only for a certain niche anyway? Certainly the majority are still happy with the productivity/convenience balance that a laptop offers over a typical tablet for now.
    Sincerely, I think you need to recall not only your physics classes, but also recall the Touchpad is not only meant for "MACHOS" like yourself. God damn it, ignorant (probably misogynist) people is pathetic.
    How do .3 pounds make any damn difference?? This isn't a macho thing, this is a people (of all genders and over a wide range of ages) have been carrying around much more than 2 pounds for thousands of years and apparently they are suddenly incapable of doing so for an extended period of time, thing.

And I'm ignorant? Now that we're taking cheap shots here, in what world is "ignorant people is pathetic" grammatically correct? That shows more ignorance right there my friend.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast