View Poll Results: TouchPad Omissions, Your rating. What would YOU rate the TouchPad

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1 (worst, they need to re-do it)

1 2.33%

0 0%

4 9.30%

0 0%
  • 5 (halfways there)

9 20.93%

4 9.30%

10 23.26%

11 25.58%

4 9.30%
  • 10 (best, it's a perfect product)

0 0%
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dcbo89
  1.    #1  
    So now that precentral has done their amazing review (really, what does PC do that is not amazing) I just wanted to converse a bit about the omissions in the touchpad applications, especially those in Enyo platform. Im going to post a few things that they should have definitely added and/or refined a bit more and I want to see how you guys respond to it. I have also included a poll on your ratings for the TouchPad on a 1 to 10 scale (10 being the best).

1. The most important omission for me: lack of document editing software. I have a xoom now and I use quick office ALL THE TIME. I need that. I hope it comes sooner rather than later.
    2. Email app: Do you think it's too basic? PreCentral said in their review that it was a very simple email application that has lost a lot of features that current webOS devices in 2.X already have. I'm guessing that they focused so much on the Enyo platform that they didn't really pay too much attention to actual functionality...
    3. The freezes: I have now used three different touchpads in three different stores. Two of them have the freezing issue. Once every while (every 15 minutes or so) the system just.... stops. Could it be the Qualcomm Processor? I have never been a fan of Qualcomm chips. EVER. I look at their performance on Android devices and they are usually the worst. Perhaps they should have remained with TI?
    4. The launcher: way too basic and there is little customizability in it. Do you think that's ok?
    5. The hardware: I don't really dig the shell. The screen is FABULOUS. It's the best screen on any tablet in my opinion. But the shell does bother me a bit. Your thoughts?
    6. No task manager.... this is the application I use MOST on my Pre 2. I love it. And I was very sad to see that it was gone. I think that should be required in any smartphone or tablet.

I will stop there for now and bring up a few more things in the dicussion, I just want to get other opinions on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by estebancam View Post
    6. No task manager.... this is the application I use MOST on my Pre 2. I love it. And I was very sad to see that it was gone. I think that should be required in any smartphone or tablet.
    I hope they remedy this soon or at least have a 3rd party offering that will sync with Exchange.
    I am starting to believe more and more that they are going to rely on webOS Internalz and the homebrew community to help patch some of those software holes like they did with our lauch phones. And maybe they will incorporate some of those patches in future updates.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    I'm bummed it doesn't have tasks and memos, or a calculator...
    I have a feeling the offerings from developers on tasks, memos, and calculators will be way beyond the stock offerings in WebOS 2.

Hopefully Evernote has something in the works, I dig that.
    It's a new product and there are going to be some bugs but with OTA's I am not worried. From what I have seen, the freezing is mostly a problem with the display models running the intro software and from watching videos of the TouchPad on webOSroundup the OS looked really good. responsive and smooth. I will be receiving my TouchPad tomorrow and will make my own evaluation of it. I am really excited, finally a new webOS product and IMO the future looks bright for webOS. A year ago one could not say that.
    The main omission thats stopping me from buying. Lack of hdmi out. Its so basic and so simple and I have no idea why they didnt.

Second omission for me is customizable launcher tabs. That has to be one of the most irritating long term use flaws they possible could have thought of.
    Tikkanen likes this.
    Any applications that are available on the Pre-+ & Veer can be copied, repackaged and then installed on the Touchpad... Why not just live with the fact that the Touchpad can and will have the programs you want. I have done the above method with many apps in the past from the emulators and put them on the phone... I also plan to do this with the Touchpad and my Pre apps. I am sure they will need a little bit of tweaking, but they will end up working just fine.

I'll repackage the Memo & Calculator first, if anyone wants to do some trying be my guest.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'm bummed it doesn't have tasks and memos, or a calculator...
    TheMarco has got you covered if you need a calculator.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...alculatorhdapp

Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    Any applications that are available on the Pre-+ & Veer can be copied, repackaged and then installed on the Touchpad... Why not just live with the fact that the Touchpad can and will have the programs you want. I have done the above method with many apps in the past from the emulators and put them on the phone... I also plan to do this with the Touchpad and my Pre apps. I am sure they will need a little bit of tweaking, but they will end up working just fine.

I'll repackage the Memo & Calculator first, if anyone wants to do some trying be my guest.
    this there a tutorial on how to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    TheMarco has got you covered if you need a calculator.

https://developer.palm.com/appredire...alculatorhdapp

this there a tutorial on how to do this?

1. Just novaterm into your phone.
    2. cd to /usr/palm/applications/
    3. cp -R AppName /media/internal/. (make sure and remove the trailing / from AppName)
    4. usb mode your phone and copy the folders to your desktop
    5. run: palm-package AppName (make sure and remove the trailing / from AppName)
    6. IT WILL MOST LIKELY COMPLAIN ABOUT VERSION NUMBER OR VENDOR NAME MISSING open the appinfo.json file and add
    "vendor": "Palm, Inc.",
    "version": "1.0.0",
    with in the { }
    7. run: palm-package AppName (make sure and remove the trailing / from AppName)
    8. use any current methos to install the ipk file on your WebOS device.

I use the vendor Palm, Inc because they are palm apps from the original Palm device. I have my IPK's (notes, youtube, tasks)all created and ready for my Touchpad.
    Last edited by demetry14; 06/30/2011 at 11:22 PM.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Ok. That sounds like something one could do with the webos doctor packages too.