Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Anyone else think this is something that is a deal killer for the TouchPad? I mean, I would expect a company like HP to have time to mobilize their resources to address these types of issues. I would expect Palm to not have the resources to manage the fingerprint issue, but HP!?!

I'm going to have to wait for a model that won't get so fingerprinty, I guess. If I don't hear word that a fingerprint resistant model is in development, I'm doing to have to switch to an Android-based tablet.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/30/2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: language
    This might help

I see pandas.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    This might help

Obviously, some other company thought to address this issue. I can't believe HP did not address it in the original design. The fingerprint shields are kinda ugly, though.
    Fingerprints is not an issue for me and it's far from a deal breaker. If I get the TouchPad, I'll most likely get a cover for it anyway which means the fingerprints on that glossy (plastic backside that I don't even like) will not matter.
    Achill3s' Palm Pre: Modded and patched to death!!
    I don't think it's a deal killer, but I imagine it will be a drawback for those who aren't interested in buying covers.
    Looks like Touchpad owners will get sick less that the average person. We will have to wash our hands more often.
    Hobbz, lougw, taxi and 3 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceAlbert View Post
    This might help

Are those wicker baskets?
  8.    #8  
    I'm worried that if I accidentally do something illegal on it, the FBI will be able to tell I was the one using it.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Yeah, this thing seems to attract fingerprints worse than moths to a flame. I plan to have a cover whenever away from home anyway. So it won't be that big of an issue to me.

Quote Originally Posted by oswego View Post
    Looks like Touchpad owners will get sick less that the average person. We will have to wash our hands more often.
    hilarious!
    Fingerprints are a dealbreaker? LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by AZBigE View Post
    I'm worried that if I accidentally do something illegal on it, the FBI will be able to tell I was the one using it.
    So you are going to use the touchpad as a murder weapon? According to all of the reviews it should be heavy enough..
    Hobbz and nyquistjack like this.
    When Palm was a standalone, why would they NOT be able to address the fingerprint issue. I don't think HP sees it as an issue as they designed this thing months ago and kept it. Not sure I get the point of this thread????

To HP, it's not an issue, so nothing to address for TouchPad 1. Now, that doesn't mean future gen's of the TouchPad won't change, won't evolve but I don't think this is an issue today from HP's standpoint.
    Anyone else think this is something that is a deal killer for the TouchPad?
    Not at all. Fingerprints on the back of the device do not change how the device works and if one is that concerned about the appearance of a computing tool, a soft cloth can be used to wipe the smudges away.

Do you buy a tablet to use it or to have sit on a stand and look pretty?
    oswego likes this.
    What about the fingerprints on the screen. BB guy mention getting a screen protector to help with it.
    Obviously, some other company thought to address this issue. I can't believe HP did not address it in the original design. The fingerprint shields are kinda ugly, though.
    They did. It's called a case.
    etx likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by miles4000 View Post
    What about the fingerprints on the screen. BB guy mention getting a screen protector to help with it.
    Yeah, there's already a plastic film available to apply over the front screen. I believe Griffin is the brand name and it's around $17. I'm going to try one out but more out of an attempt to reduce glare.
  17.    #17  
    Thanks for the responses, everyone. I guess I'm just particularly sensitive to the fingerprint issue. I hadn't really worried about it until every review and every comment here mentions the "fingerprint magnet" aspect of the TouchPad.

I like my stuff to look nice, so I'll have to keep a cloth and some degreaser around if I decide to get a TouchPad. I may go with something that masks the usage marks better, though.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Anyone else think this is something that is a deal killer for the TouchPad? I mean, I would expect a company like HP to have time to mobilize their resources to address these types of issues. I would expect Palm to not have the resources to manage the fingerprint issue, but HP!?!

I'm going to have to wait for a model that won't get so fingerprinty, I guess. If I don't hear word that a fingerprint resistant model is in development, I'm doing to have to switch to an Android-based tablet.
    I just think its one of those "duh" type of situations.

This isn't a HP thing. Its not a tablet thing. This is like...the tech industry thing.

You see it in laptops All. The. Time. Netbooks especially. There was a stretch there, prior to the tablet craze, when I was big into trying to find my new Netbook after my original Acer Aspire. I think almost every review I read for a new netbook had someone lamenting the fact that the case was a finger print magnet.

I don't know anyone that significantly likes those glossy plastic casings, can't think of any reviewer that doesn't complain about them, or any really positive thing about them at all. Which is why I'm boggled when I see it used on any of this stuff. The ONLY two reasons I can think of is that its either far cheaper to produce so its just a profit margin thing or its a hope that they'll be more likely to sell cases, covers, and other things because they know people will want to cover the thing up.

I really just don't get it.
    I have an HP monitor (supposedly anyway..woot removed the original labeling) that's made out of the same stuff. Maybe 'black and shiny' catches the eye in stores or something? I only clean the display and that's usually after killing a little bug that made the mistake of running across the monitor when it was in use.

My Touchpad display will get a stick on coating to cut down on glare, but that's about the most I plan on doing with the exterior.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I just think its one of those "duh" type of situations.

I don't know anyone that significantly likes those glossy plastic casings, can't think of any reviewer that doesn't complain about them, or any really positive thing about them at all. Which is why I'm boggled when I see it used on any of this stuff. The ONLY two reasons I can think of is that its either far cheaper to produce so its just a profit margin thing or its a hope that they'll be more likely to sell cases, covers, and other things because they know people will want to cover the thing up.

I really just don't get it.
    For plastics, a glossy or matte surface finish costs the same. It's just a mold surface finish. Cost of manufacturing is same. Now if you are talking about soft rubbery feel plastics then it's different.

Gloss finish is popular because of the perception of shiny/mirror/smooth finish is equal to high quality product. After all if you can't see your face reflection on your car's engine hood you would consider the workmanship to be of lesser quality. That's all there is, customer perception.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast