Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes
  1. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Folks,
    After reading the reviews I felt like HP dropped the ball. Luckily I was able to get my hands on a demo unit in BB. Contrary to what I read , I felt the touchpad was speedy,responsive for most of the apps ( browser, sms,maps,memos). The only apps I noticed not responding were quickoffice and phone dialer.

I felt like the tech media is brain dead. Most reviewers are partial to Apple. I don't blame them but they are inconsistent in their reviews. Mr.Pogue mentioned there is no GPS. Mossberg said he could only get 6 hours. Other wrote about lag every where. But , But I see no lag

Derek did an excellent review. However we need more eyes on the thing to get a better feel for prospective buyer.

Those who used it or lucky to buy from BB write something like below ? ( don't bring the app catalog and don't write a big review in this thread).

Pros
    1. Excellent browser
    2. UI
    3. Card stacks
    4. Three panel Email

Cons
    1. Sluggish QuickOffice
    2. Unresponsive phone dialer
    We all biased towards something because our life experiences, collective opinions from professionals probably portray a fairer image than we biased individual ideas.

I agree, go try out yourself, and try out other options too, then select whichever you want. Reviews are just references, we don't need to distrust it, but we don't need to fully take in neither.

Collectively, sale numbers will show, eventually, good or bad it is.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    bevcraw likes this.
    I remember similar reviews when the original Palm Pre was getting ready to release. I dismissed them as the sputtering of pundits with an Apple bias but came to find that the criticisms were warranted. I wont be duped by H/Palm again.
    h-cubed likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Here's the way I see it. I'm going to get one because I prefer the functionality webOS offers which distinguishes itself from the rest of the pack. I made my decision after getting my hands on a demo unit as well.

Will I feel I got my money's worth? Probably not at first. Hopefully the webOS updates improve some of the glitches we consistently hear about and HP delivers on their promises.

Think I'll purchase one of those buyback programs "just in case".
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zulfaqar621 View Post
    I remember similar reviews when the original Palm Pre was getting ready to release. I dismissed them as the sputtering of pundits with an Apple bias but came to find that the criticisms were warranted. I wont be duped by H/Palm again.
    Pre- did have slider issues. Which was obvious. With TP that whole sliding thing is not there. So we are talking two different issues. Besides there is no physical keyboard. Which failed for Pre. The main issue now is the touch response i.e. Lag. Which I did not experience when I used it on demo piece.
    i've never seen so many people angry over a few millimeters. makes me want to go buy two out of spite.
    gzinkl and HelloNNNewman like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    i've never seen so many people angry over a few millimeters. makes me want to go buy two out of spite.
    And a few oz's.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    It's the very definition of nerd rage.
    gzinkl, strykr_ac and BradE#WN like this.
    Yeah the thickness and weight is even funnier when mentioned on these forums by people that have chosen a phone with physical kb and slider (i get not everyone wants either).

Just funny as PalmOS/WebOS users are mostly used to devices with hardware qwerty keyboards...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Well, I did play with it for about 45 minutes yesterday, and while webOS itself is smooth, I agree some apps felt sluggish. The paratroopers game, specially, you could really see the stuttering while watching them jump off the plane -the planes themselves slid across the sky really jittery.

But the rest, like card animations, default apps (calendar -yes, it was smooth, world's better than the original Pre at launch; contacts, memos, setting screens, launcher windows, etc) they were all very smooth.

True, not buttery smooth as the iPad/iPad 2 -in a strike of back luck, the iPad 2 demo is literally within arm's reach, so you can just step back a bit, have two people use the tablets and compare. It's really striking how smooth iOS really is.

I honestly hope all that talk about HP (as per HP's VP Richard Kerris' hearsay comments) is really working on webOS updates to address that.

We'll see. I'm still getting up tomorrow @10am and picking up my pre-ordered TouchPad.
    Yes! Let's take the opinion from people who used the device for a couple of minutes over people who has been using the device on a daily basis! Of course!
    I should've mentioned that these demo units aren't doing HP (and webOS) any favors. They're definitely not as well performing as the ones being sold on retail.

Perhaps that demo app is the culprit? It did keep popping up every so often...
    The OP is right, I'm not buying into the negativity of the reviews.

I was a day one iPhone user and the original iPhone, while revolutionary, took a few OS updates to smooth out a few rough edges. Jobs wanted everybody to use web apps (and his instinct was right) but he caved and apps became The Thing. Also the original iPhone had a pretty feeble antenna compared to BB's of the same time.

I also bought an original iPad soon after launch - it had darn few useful iPad only apps and had to rely on iPhone apps to fill the gap. And the reviews were largely negative - because most the reviewers didn't understand tablets.

My point is, a lot of the complaints can be fixed with OTA updates, and more apps will come along. Designing a new tablet is like designing a new fighter jet, you probably will not beat the jets designed by the reigning super power on the first attempt, but you can match or beat them by learning and improving.

I think webOS will prove to be the first really viable alternative to iOS in tablets.
    PDA History:

Palm Zire 71 > Palm T5 > Palm TX > iPhone > iPhone 3GS > HTC EVO 3D > Pre 3

Touchpad
    My phone dialer and QuickOffice work perfectly fine. QuickOffice may take a while to launch (about 6 seconds) but works flawlessly. A HUGE improvement over Pre 2's QuickOffice which is exceptionally buggy for me. Ive also had no problem with the dialer. It may make a little while to launch, again, but still no problems once its up and running.

This beastly machine as a whole just flies. Everything is so slick and smooth and fast, I truly have no idea whats wrong with those review units... either that, or HP sent them some buggy hardware or something, cuz the product I'm holding in my hands is definitely not what the reviewers reviewed, or made videos of.
    I believe you, but there's going to be and already people who will say why should we listen to someone who has had it for x amount a days versus the reviewers who have had it for a week(s).

I can't wait to get it in a few hours at BB.

Sprint Love
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Honest question here...

Why in the world should your half hour to an hour tinkering around in Walmart be considered more accurate, correct, or reliable than professional writers who have used the device for multiple hours a day for a number of days giving them a far larger sample time that is more similar to real use than playing on a demo in a store for a few minutes
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Honest question here...

Why in the world should your half hour to an hour tinkering around in Walmart be considered more accurate, correct, or reliable than professional writers who have used the device for multiple hours a day for a number of days giving them a far larger sample time that is more similar to real use than playing on a demo in a store for a few minutes
    Because only I can decide what matters to me and what doesn't. For example, 1.6 pounds may sound like a lot to some people and very little to others. I need to handle the device and decide for myself if it is too heavy or just right. Reviews can help me to zero in on problem areas. But since I'm the one spending the money, my opinion is the only one that matters in the end.
    Zyphlin likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    Because only I can decide what matters to me and what doesn't. For example, 1.6 pounds may sound like a lot to some people and very little to others. I need to handle the device and decide for myself if it is too heavy or just right. Reviews can help me to zero in on problem areas. But since I'm the one spending the money, my opinion is the only one that matters in the end.
    Thats true, however, his question is really why should a reader believe the 30min hands on reviews here, instead of professional reviewers who handled it for week or so.

Its a choice between the two. Nobody is saying individuals should not believe their own experiences.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Zyphlin likes this.
  19. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    For example, 1.6 pounds may sound like a lot to some people and very little to others. I need to handle the device and decide for myself if it is too heavy or just right. Reviews can help me to zero in on problem areas. But since I'm the one spending the money, my opinion is the only one that matters in the end.
    Well said, this whole thing about xx millimeters thin and yy pounds heavy is popularized by Apple. Tech reviewers now need a measuring tape. Homedepot and Lowes will be selling few more.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    I should've mentioned that these demo units aren't doing HP (and webOS) any favors. They're definitely not as well performing as the ones being sold on retail.

Perhaps that demo app is the culprit? It did keep popping up every so often...
    I posted to another thread last night. WiFi-connected demo units seem to have been automatically updated. HP should have made this a requirement for brick and mortar because they can improve the experience.

Dan Donovan
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast