Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By wellwellwell11
  1.    #1  
    As we all have read through Engagdet, to BGR, to Laptopmag etc, that they all see alot of potential, but not a gem out the gate. They say that their versions are laggy a times (though it shows the speed when it does work correctly). The apps available that are optimized are more then what android has currently (which is said to be around 100 or so). To me the issues seems like optimization, though with the help of our hombrew community I think for the most part the speed, and laggyness can be remedy quickly even before HP sends a update. I myself have been on the fence about the touchpad, and have actually decided to get one, and keep a low end notebook to compensate for the shortcomings of a tablet. To me the design is fine, the back though glossy can be covered (the nit picks I do hear are not worth noting, and the thickness is def not as drastic as Engagdet makes it seem). I believe this is still the tablet to beat on the market with a few tweaks from HP, and Hombrew, and I myself will continue to support Webos.
    sketch42 and DoobieDoo like this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Android tablet optimized apps stand at around 230 apps.
    Note that per one of the P|C members that actually HAS his TPAd already, he mentioned that several apps have already been updated, the App Catalog being one of them. So potentially that initial opening issue has been resolved.

I will have mine tomorrow! (Today if they'll sell me one)
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by cobrakon View Post
    Note that per one of the P|C members that actually HAS his TPAd already, he mentioned that several apps have already been updated, the App Catalog being one of them. So potentially that initial opening issue has been resolved.

I will have mine tomorrow! (Today if they'll sell me one)
    ok thanks for the input, hopefully when most people get there hands on them more and more apps will be optimized. As well as I look forward to what Hombrew will be doing with the TP.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Android tablet optimized apps stand at around 230 apps.
    oh well i was getting that from one of the reviews from laptopmag which stated:

With just 300 TouchPad-specific apps in its stable, HP is 55,000 behind the iPad but already well ahead of Android's 100 or so choices for Honeycomb slates. Nevertheless, we're glad HP is paying more attention to enhancing the shopping experience than its competitors. While you'll find the traditional category choices in HP's store, the Featured area stands out with Pivot, a slickly designed monthly digital magazine dedicated to helping users discover new apps.

HP TouchPad Review - Apps, Multimedia, Touch to Share, & Verdict

either way I think that is good that HP is coming out of the gate with atleast those 300 and maybe more.
    Global Posts
    63 Global Posts
    I just spent a good amount of time with a TouchPad at BestBuy and an HP rep. I have also read dozens of reviews. My experience with the TP and the reviews makes a funny Venn diagram, where the overlap region is pretty slim. Given that allegedly the reviewers lived with the device for a period of time, and I only spent an hour, well, that could be the difference, but I'm not really convinced that the reviews I've read have been, for the most part, well-considered.

It seems everyone wants an iPad3 out of the gate. Yet, here we have a product that is not only different because of its fabulous OS (and I also rate iOS highly, just FYI), but it is such a joy to use (I won't say that about iOS - in my opinion, it's just a good, simplistic experience), but because it has useful features that differentiate it from the pack and give it wow factor. Seriously, it can communicate with my (fantasized) Veer or Pre 3 in meaningful ways? It charges without me having to dock or plug in the thing? It can charge without plugging in AND taking it out of the case?

Yes yes yes, the apps aren't there yet. It comes out tomorrow. Why do the reviewers decide that's so horrible? iOS has gazillions of apps; 90% of which are, well, to put it mildly, not so good, duplicative, unimaginative, or just silly. I'll take a well-chosen app catalog that is 1/10th of iOS's.

Yes yes yes, there is no text editing yet. Have you tried to do text editing on an iPad? what a miserable experience until rather recently, and it's still blah - because the keyboard is half-assed. TP's keyboard is mostly a joy.

And yes, Flash doesn't work perfect yet (like any other mobile device that has it), but the point is, it's there, and it works and will work (I watched the evolution of sucky Flash to Ok Flash on Honeycomb).

Yes, I wish the hardware was "different and sexy"; on the other hand, it's totally functional and not **** ugly. Heavy? It didn't feel heavy, even compared to the Xoom, which weight is distributed differently.

I'm looking forward to getting my TP tomorrow, and watching it evolve. I expect in 6 months, the product will compete well. Especially given the commitment HP has put behind it, if the HP rep is even half right. I have confidence restored in WebOS's future. Despite the mixed bag of reviews out there.
    The problem is most reviewers assume all consumers want the same thing. Instead off focusing on what type of user will most benefit most from webOS, reviewers default to the standard gripes: it's too heavy, lag and not enough apps. The standard apps meets my needs 90% off the time.