Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well with all the reports of people buying TP's today I decided to try...

I called my best buy, they have 11 in stock (32g). I asked if they could put one on hold. She said hold on and came back and said tomorrow is the release date. The reason some people are getting them today is that in best buy's system it says "JUNE". The only way you cant get one today is if the person knows personally what the release date is.. This is where BestBuy not knowing what is going on is working for us...
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Called a few here, the person who answered the phone always checked and then said tomorrow.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    I just called and the guy said I could pick one up today...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingsEighth View Post
    I just called and the guy said I could pick one up today...
    bingo..
  5.    #5  
    personally I am just going to walk in later tonight after work to my local best buy that I know has 11 units and ask to buy one. If I get push back I will bring up this forum and show them that they are indeed selling them at many other best buys. Worth a shot...
    i'm going now!
  7.    #7  
    the only reason I want to get one tonight is Im driving to Vegas tomorrow morning and it would be nice to have it setup before then...
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    personally I am just going to walk in later tonight after work to my local best buy that I know has 11 units and ask to buy one. If I get push back I will bring up this forum and show them that they are indeed selling them at many other best buys. Worth a shot...
    Just called local BB who said they "weren't allowed" to even put out a demo until tomorrow and said they didn't know how many were coming - tomorrow.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Just called local BB who said they "weren't allowed" to even put out a demo until tomorrow and said they didn't know how many were coming - tomorrow.
    call again.. say whatever the person name is who answered the phone and ask if they can check stock for you and you have the SKU number. Give them the SKU
    and they will tell you. I called three stores and they had no idea what it was I wanted to buy.. Their system says its available to sell now but its the one manager or so who is tell ing them to wait. All you have to do is get lucky and maybe that guy is on break or the person behind the counter doesn't care. they are not doing anything wrong because their system is wrong by saying June. They wont get in trouble.
    They must be catching on. The guy that put it on hold for me called me back and said he had to wait and sell it to me tomorrow...dang it!
    Not to be a downer but I seriously would not encourage you guys doing this. I've worked at Best Buy and we are seriously not allowed to do this, even if it's only one day in advance. This kind of activity could jeopardize that store's relationship with the vendor. How hard is it to just wait one more day?
    I am, therefore I think
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Not to be a downer but I seriously would not encourage you guys doing this. I've worked at Best Buy and we are seriously not allowed to do this, even if it's only one day in advance. This kind of activity could jeopardize that store's relationship with the vendor. How hard is it to just wait one more day?
    ahh come on.. messing with the "system" is fun...
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingsEighth View Post
    They must be catching on. The guy that put it on hold for me called me back and said he had to wait and sell it to me tomorrow...dang it!
    I think walking in is the way to do it. I would just call to confirm stock but not ask to put one on hold anymore...
    I have yet to see any mandate from HP not to sell until the 1st. Typically there is even a sticker on each product stating so. To my knowledge, there isn't.

I really don't think there is any kind of contract agreeing not to sell till then.

Besides, wouldn't the computers prevent it or warn the clerk if it wasn't suppose to be sold?
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I have yet to see any mandate from HP not to sell until the 1st. Typically there is even a sticker on each product stating so. To my knowledge, there isn't.

I really don't think there is any kind of contract agreeing not to sell till then.

Besides, wouldn't the computers prevent it or warn the clerk if it wasn't suppose to be sold?
    The clerk told me over the phone that in the system it said its available to sell in June...
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post

No, there is typically no sticker. Just because a product is in inventory doesn't mean we can sell them. When the latest Macbook Pro refresh happened early this year we got them in about a week in advance but weren't allowed to sell them until a certain date. Apple in particular is very strict about releases and launches. We get plenty of products "in" before their sell date.

And I guarantee you there is in fact some contract between retailer and vendor about sale date.
    I am, therefore I think
  17.    #17  
    No, there is typically no sticker. Just because a product is in inventory doesn't mean we can sell them. When the latest Macbook Pro refresh happened early this year we got them in about a week in advance but weren't allowed to sell them until a certain date. Apple in particular is very strict about releases and launches. We get plenty of products "in" before their sell date.

And I guarantee you there is in fact some contract between retailer and vendor about sale date.
    The clerk told me over the phone that in the system it said its available to sell in June...
    Quote Originally Posted by ogloco21 View Post
    It is a sad fact that there are plenty of people who work in Best Buy and don't know what they are talking about. They're the ones that give people like me a bad rep. Just because you can scan the UPC doesn't mean we're supposed to sell it ahead of release date. The available date isn't associated with purchase date necessarily, just when the product SKU/UPC has been added to the store's system.
    I am, therefore I think
    I was told yes over the phone. Got there and was turned away. They said they have them but can't sell or display until tomorrow (Geary san francisco)
    dont have them hold it. Just walk in and act stupid. Ask what is this tablet??? Ohh, looks cool. I'll take one
    pow12390 likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast