Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes
    I'm writing this from the touchpad at best buy. Apparently, The HP rep just came in before I did and told them not to sell before tomorrow. They have plenty in stock and some reps were allowed to purchase one for themselves a little early.

I'll be back!
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Makes me want to go check my local Best Buy...I wasn't planning on buying one but you never know when one is right in your face...
    I was on hold for 35 minutes, eventually a nice girl from In Store Pickup got on the phone and did what nobody at this store has done since June 19: she went to look. First, she found my order in the system, then she went to look in computers to confirm the TP was physically in the store, then she said maybe they could give it to me today, and if so, she would go and grab one, then came back and let me down easy when she said i couldn't get it until tomorrow. I'll be there at 10am. Now, I'm out to find an old iPad1 case to protect my investment until the regular accessories drop in price.
    Palm III -> Palm m500 -> Zire 71 -> Zire 72 -> Treo 700p -> Palm Pre Minus -> TWO Touchpads 16gb -. and unfortunately, a Motorola Photon 4G...
    After a lengthy delay I got mine at the Best Buy in Colma (bay area). As I was showing my receipt at the door a manager gave me a funny look and got on his Walkie and barked 'who sold that TP. Hope the guy doesn't get in trouble, neither of us ever mentioned July 1.
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Best Buy makes it official through a press release that it is available tomorrow:
    News Release - BBY.com
    Quote Originally Posted by clayclay350 View Post
    Not to be a downer but I seriously would not encourage you guys doing this. I've worked at Best Buy and we are seriously not allowed to do this, even if it's only one day in advance. This kind of activity could jeopardize that store's relationship with the vendor. How hard is it to just wait one more day?
    Called the local Best Buy, the one closest to my house in Irvine CA, and there are a dozen others nearby I could check out If I get a wild hair later, gave the guy who answered the phone the sku, he looked it up and said yes they have 34 of them. I asked if I could come pick one up he said yes, then ah no, not today, tomorrow morning. I asked him why if you have 34 of them in stock can I not come by on my way home from work. He said release date tomorrow. His store would get sued if he sold me one today.

Yeah right.
    Guess HP can afford the lawyers fees tho.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and dont necessarily represent AT&Ts positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    782 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kayphoonstar View Post
    Just called local BB who said they "weren't allowed" to even put out a demo until tomorrow and said they didn't know how many were coming - tomorrow.
    I went to my BB--NW San Antonio--it wasn't even on display. Neither were the Veers. I asked the Manager and he didn't even know what the TouchPad was. Very disappointing.
    just got back from bestbuy. they put one on hold for me when i called and then when i got there they told me i couldn't have it because the release date is tomorrow.

they said that for every device that sells early they get finned 20 thousand dollars. they also said that it is up to the supplier (HP) when they are allowed to put out demo units and he said they weren't allow to until tomorrow.
    Global Posts
    566 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfireball5 View Post
    just got back from bestbuy. they put one on hold for me when i called and then when i got there they told me i couldn't have it because the release date is tomorrow.

they said that for every device that sells early they get finned 20 thousand dollars. they also said that it is up to the supplier (HP) when they are allowed to put out demo units and he said they weren't allow to until tomorrow.
    The BB I went to (San Jose, CA) told me exactly the same thing. So I'll pick it up tomorrow.
    HP/Palm's release date is tomorrow . So just wait .
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    pueblo, co. no tp's, no veers. not even any pre-orders for the tp in the system.

stupid small markets.
  12.    #32  
    oh well. I went to the BB in Yorba Linda with my wife and 1 year old baby girl. I figured I could get lucky with the kid... No dice.. When I walked up an HP rep was teaching the BB peeps aout the tp.. After one broke away I asked if there was anyway I could snag one today. He just laughed and my wife called me a dork and I shuffled away...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Called the local Best Buy, the one closest to my house in Irvine CA, and there are a dozen others nearby I could check out If I get a wild hair later, gave the guy who answered the phone the sku, he looked it up and said yes they have 34 of them. I asked if I could come pick one up he said yes, then ah no, not today, tomorrow morning. I asked him why if you have 34 of them in stock can I not come by on my way home from work. He said release date tomorrow. His store would get sued if he sold me one today.

Yeah right.
    Guess HP can afford the lawyers fees tho.
    Hey TopTongueBarry,

Was the the best buy off of Lake Forest (it is called the irvine location online)? I have my pre-order with them and they would not confirm if they had any in stock. He said they would call me if it is available tomorrow since I pre-ordered. So I figured they weren't getting any and I would have to go to Costa Mesa location. Anyhow, if you can confirm that was the BB off of Lake Forest.

Thanks.
    Tried talking out, no luck for me

They were showing me freaking samsung 10 tab and telling me its better than touchpad and telling me that it has bugs chunky not so good, I said I did preorder so just checking if I can get it today
    Last edited by Filjosh; 06/30/2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Android
  15.    #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by esheafer View Post
    Hey TopTongueBarry,

Was the the best buy off of Lake Forest (it is called the irvine location online)? I have my pre-order with them and they would not confirm if they had any in stock. He said they would call me if it is available tomorrow since I pre-ordered. So I figured they weren't getting any and I would have to go to Costa Mesa location. Anyhow, if you can confirm that was the BB off of Lake Forest.

Thanks.
    dude, thats like the smallest BB in teh land.. they have no display setup and said they wouldnt get any TP's until around July 5th.. I thikn he said they are the 2nd smallest location in the nation and never get anything on time..
    Posting from my Touchpad now. Got it from Bestbuy. Hardware feels great. Doesn't feel that heavy and doesn't look too thick I think (if viewed on its own). Reading reviews made me concerned, but having the unit now in my hands reassured me that the hardware is fine.

To those who weren't lucky today, tomorrow is only a few hours away!
    blackfireball5 likes this.
    Wanted to try it out and potentially buy today.

Got through the door when my first best buy employee asked if I needed help. I proudly asked to see the HP touchpad. I was told I was in luck as 2 HP reps were on hand! We walked back to the computer section where I saw a small end display with one touchpad. We got up to it and it was locked on a blackscreen with a big USB symbol. Rep could not get it booted in 10 minutes. reps babbled about not knowing what was wrong telling me this was all a scramble as their dates were pushed up (bs, I know). they said to come back tomorrow on the official launch or to drive to another store. So out of spite I walked over and bought a Samsung galaxy tab (ill return it tomorrow).

Thanks best buy (mira mesa, san diego CA)
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12