Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TopTongueBarry
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    Hi

Can someone help me understand this?

If I buy TouchPAd now, can I later put in a SIM?

Or is the current version of TouchPAd not compatible with SIM at all?
    It doesn't have a sim card slot.
    Several reviews have mentioned that the area where the SIM card will go has a little pull-out tab with the model and serial number. However, there is no ability to actually insert the SIM.
    If I show up at your door, chances are you did something to bring me there.
    This may or may not be possible. Stay Tuned...
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin Blank View Post
    Several reviews have mentioned that the area where the SIM card will go has a little pull-out tab with the model and serial number. However, there is no ability to actually insert the SIM.
    Check out the recently posted teardown video and pictures. The SIM card slot is there, but it is not connected to anything yet in the wi fi model. I have gotten the part numbers off of every board in the device but have not gotten a lucky hit yet. The boards we want to locate information on are the USB board with this #: "TOPAZ1-6050A2407902-USB-A01" and the main board with the snapdragon processor on it # "TOPAZ-1-603580072302"

Once the manufacturer is found then vendors can be found and we can hopefully stumble upon the revision A02 tag at the end of the part number or who knows maybe even a TOPAZ2 or TOPAZ-2- version. The board we want would replace the existing USB board and will have a place on it for the ribbon cable from the sim card tray to connect to, or will have 8/9 pins in a straight line right above the inside edge of the the sim card tray for solder connections

I suspect this search won't yield any results prior to the release of the 3G model, but if anyone want s to try keep the rest of us posted.

Thanks,
    TTB
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    sketch42 likes this.
    Yeah, I think the best/easiest way is just to wait for the 3G to hit, then we'll know for sure how easy it is to switch. I'm pretty sure it would be easy to switch once we get the part numbers correctly matched up.

Thanks for the research TTB!
    Quote Originally Posted by TopTongueBarry View Post
    Check out the recently posted teardown video and pictures. The SIM card slot is there, but it is not connected to anything yet in the wi fi model. I have gotten the part numbers off of every board in the device but have not gotten a lucky hit yet. The boards we want to locate information on are the USB board with this #: "TOPAZ1-6050A2407902-USB-A01" and the main board with the snapdragon processor on it # "TOPAZ-1-603580072302"

Once the manufacturer is found then vendors can be found and we can hopefully stumble upon the revision A02 tag at the end of the part number or who knows maybe even a TOPAZ2 or TOPAZ-2- version. The board we want would replace the existing USB board and will have a place on it for the ribbon cable from the sim card tray to connect to, or will have 8/9 pins in a straight line right above the inside edge of the the sim card tray for solder connections

I suspect this search won't yield any results prior to the release of the 3G model, but if anyone want s to try keep the rest of us posted.

Thanks,
    TTB
    Ok, I'm pretty convinced what we will see on the 3G model is a comm board that will replace the metal plate securing the SIM card tray on the Wi-Fi only models. The SIM card tray will be attached (8/9 soldered connections) to this board which will either have a ribbon cable to to the main board or the microUSB PCB. This comms board may even be attached to the microUSB board via a connector added on to the bottom of the MicroUSB PCB in rev A02.

There's no way you'll be able to add 3G to your WiFi TouchPad without adding the comms baord, antennas, and swapping out the existing MicroUSB PCB, none of which are available and most likely won't even be seen floating around wholesale circuit supply circles for at least 6 months to a year .

Anyways, who needs a 3G tablet when you have freetether for data and bluetooth pairing with your Pre for voice and SMS?

TTB
    Last edited by TopTongueBarry; 07/02/2011 at 02:33 PM.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and donít necessarily represent AT&Tís positions, strategies or opinions.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Freetether eats batteries pretty fast
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    No only that, but you would need to make sure the WebOS version is identical to that of the one on the 3G model... If they created our model first because it lacks 3G capability in the software then you would need to make sure the 3G enabled doctor worked on your wifi model at the later date.

"It's a possibility"
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]