Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cdd543 View Post
    I returned my touchpad as in my estimation and day to day use it caused me frustration. Email hanging it freezing for 5 seconds, spontaneous reboots, and lag throughout the OS at times. I'd get browser lag with nothing else running so it had nothing to do with the multitasking capabilities.
    I just want it to work...it doesn't all have to be like the ipad2 my wife uses, but it needs to work and be stable. Sadly I didn't want to wait for the updates to see if it fixes or improves the device. As others have mentioned it feels somewhat similarly to owning pre and pre plus--which I did. Its time to for the potential to be realized or other devices will be a better option. On a side note I used a galaxy 10.1 and android honeycomb 3.1 is a mess IMHO and behind the current version of the touchpad. It lacked any cohesion.
    now i totally agree. well said mate. mine is going back tomorrow first thing. software updates with webos never seem to quite hit the mark and then we get the coming soon debacle. same ole story all over and enough is enough! time for webos to 'grow up' and deliver! honeycomb though a mess has a serious dev backing so will improve rapidly as google has already released 3.2 and ice cream sandwich due soon. thats clear directive IMO one that webos lacks!
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I don't expect the first update to fix every issue. Some things take a while to implement properly. If HP can release a webOS 3 update every month to six weeks between now and Thanksgiving, the product should be in good shape. By then, Opal should be shipping, and maybe the handset situation will be healthier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Agreed. I feel that what matters is support after the sell. They have a good hardware foundation to build on right now (resolution, processor, memory). As long as they keep releasing updates that fix bugs and expand the feature set they should be able to keep and build upon their user base. I just want to see them get away from this "throw away" mentality that tablet makers have today. Just because you come out with a new device every year doesn't mean you drop support for the older device in order to force your users to spend another $500 on the newer product. That strategy works with cell phones where you get a discount on an update after a year and where the price point is lower, not with PCs. If a tablet is truly supposed to replace a laptop PC then there needs to be a long term support strategy for them. At least 2-3 years.
    <<staff edit>>

Just FYI:

Javascript apps performing the same as compiled apps!!!

Sure this video is a fake.

I know, I know. That video doesn't tell you anything.
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/18/2011 at 01:20 AM. Reason: quote deleted - original deleted
    Newness Developments apps:

k4ever likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    now i totally agree. well said mate. mine is going back tomorrow first thing. software updates with webos never seem to quite hit the mark and then we get the coming soon debacle. same ole story all over and enough is enough! time for webos to 'grow up' and deliver! honeycomb though a mess has a serious dev backing so will improve rapidly as google has already released 3.2 and ice cream sandwich due soon. thats clear directive IMO one that webos lacks!
    You agree with him on one part of his post then totally disregarded the other part. Google is in a deeper mess. Android needs to grow up just as much as webOS does. It is up to the manufacturer of what ever hardware you buy with Android on it to update the OS on their platform. Those manufacturers aren't doing that. What you have now is uncontrolled fragmentation. Too many versions of an OS running on different hardware with manufacturers who would rather force you to buy their newer product then support the older one. I know this first hand. I own one of the first Android tablets and it's not going to see any version beyond 2.x from the manufacturer.

It's unfortunate that the both of you couldn't hold out for another week to see if HP is serious about its commitment to a 2 1/2 week old device but clearly Android may not be the salvation you are looking for. The only thing left based on what I'm gathering is your criteria is iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    <<staff edit>>
    Just FYI:

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will be showing this video to everyone who brings up the subject. The Touchpad still has problems with reboots and stutters that will hopefully get fixed with the update, but its great to see a "buggy" Touchpad beating the pants off a "polished" iPad2. Hey maybe when iOS 5 comes out that stutter will get fixed?

Don't want to gloat to much. HP still has to deliver on that update!
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 07/18/2011 at 01:21 AM. Reason: edited quote
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    Why should I explain anything to you? You don't want answers, just want put here your wrong statements. Like you before, I'm tired of this. Don't worry.

Just FYI:

It's not fake, guy is launching apps. He is not using them.
    He should browse app catalog or Times mag. app
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    It's not fake, guy is launching apps. He is not using them.
    He should browse app catalog or Times mag. app
    The app catalogs are totally different so the comparison would not be scientific. Just like the web browsing experience in each when flash is involved is not scientific (the iPad2 can't do flash). The Time app would be a nice comparison. Do you have a Touchpad and iPad2 with the app loaded to make a comparison video? I want to see how much the lag on the Touchpad with this app is effecting my overall experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Yeah, I clearly said few times that I'm no programmer. This doesn't mean I'm novice to smartphones, or to mobile OSes.
    It all started with question how to improve webOS performance, and now whole thing seems like crusade. All answers I got was of dogmatic nature, more appropriate to theological debate than to a tech forum.
    The problem is that you are asking questions that have no real answer. "Is it further to New York, or by bus" is the zen-type question that comes to mind.

The simple answer is yes, if all of the apps for the device were written inc compiled C, they would be faster. But they would not be WebOS apps. Much of what makes WebOS what it is at a different level. In short, your question is irrelevant, because the developers cannot simply "rewrite" WebOS to use "native" code. It would be akin to asking if a web page would run faster if it were all programmed in C instead of HTML.

FWIW, I've been around long enough to remember similar arguments between those that wrote assembly code, and those that took the faster, easier route, and wrote in compiled languages. The assmebly code was faster, smaller, cleaner code. It was also harder to write, harder to debug, and thus longer to develop programs. Plus, they were invariably "that platform only" programs, and had to be rewritten from scratch for any other OS. C programs were more portable, but produced bigger programs, and often sloppier code.

WebOS is much the same. The skillsets allow more programmers to produce code much faster. Yes, it comes with a cost. It also comes with many advantages. There is always a trade-offs.
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem is that you are asking questions that have no real answer. "Is it further to New York, or by bus" is the zen-type question that comes to mind.

The simple answer is yes, if all of the apps for the device were written inc compiled C, they would be faster. But they would not be WebOS apps. Much of what makes WebOS what it is at a different level. In short, your question is irrelevant, because the developers cannot simply "rewrite" WebOS to use "native" code. It would be akin to asking if a web page would run faster if it were all programmed in C instead of HTML.

FWIW, I've been around long enough to remember similar arguments between those that wrote assembly code, and those that took the faster, easier route, and wrote in compiled languages. The assmebly code was faster, smaller, cleaner code. It was also harder to write, harder to debug, and thus longer to develop programs. Plus, they were invariably "that platform only" programs, and had to be rewritten from scratch for any other OS. C programs were more portable, but produced bigger programs, and often sloppier code.

WebOS is much the same. The skillsets allow more programmers to produce code much faster. Yes, it comes with a cost. It also comes with many advantages. There is always a trade-offs.
    im sorry, and ill probably go to heck for saying this, but L O L

please, forgive me.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    im sorry, and ill probably go to heck for saying this, but L O L

please, forgive me.
    No forgiveness needed; I've found most of the exchange amusing.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    Can we all now agree ...
    On this board? Not likely.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by SnotBoogie View Post
    On this board? Not likely.
    And with that we are done here.

<<thread closed>>
    fxspec06 likes this.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345