Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    thought i'd join in lol
    bought my TP from CPW on 15th and was very excited to finally get one. the build quality is amazing and on par with my ipad 2. it feels good to hold and not as heavy as people think lol. i am just fed up how all reviewers seem to follow one trend and no one breaks from the norm(its big, heavy, benchmarks etc. who gives a toss). Webos for me still just doesnt deliver but promises a hell of a lot. it just doesnt quite do it and i for one have been waiting a long time for it too. palm pre then pre plus then i gave up! so many promises led to too many disappointments. the bugs on the TP have left my 1st impression tainted and got me thinking as always what next? do i hang in there like i did with the pre or do i just accept that webos will never come of age? i use HP products at home and work, hey my work laptop is the trusty hp 6910p but that runs windows 7 now. i want webos to 'grow up' as they say and finally start delivering on those promises. hopefully now that HP will be licensing it some of the major manufacturers will give it a shot!
    k4ever likes this.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo_sg View Post
    i guess after reading all this, i have come to my own wisdom quote.

when you let the same person,
    perform the same task,
    with the same attitude,
    and mentality,
    and same resource,
    within the same timeframe,

there is one certainty. no cigar for guessing it.

you end up with the same mistake. again.
    Rubes no longer in charge, so hopefully this won't be repeated in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You mean like pinch to zoom?
    No. More like Cards on a phone screen, gestures, minimized notifications at top or bottom of screen. I'm not saying Palm didn't copy Apple, mind you, Palm had a touchscreen smartphone long before Apple did.
    I'm kinda perplexed. On the one hand it's fast enough for me. Way faster than my old Pre, but on the other hand I want to see it get faster so it surpasses the competition. Not only because it needs to be faster to improve the experience, but so that it just one less thing for a tech reviewer to compare it to.

Here is the rub for me and the one thing I think some people refuse to understand, webOS is not iOS or Android. We want things like synergy to balance all our accounts into one. We want true multi-tasking with the elegance and functionality of card view. We want these features and functionality that neither iOS or Android provide yet we want the OS to behave exactly the same? How do we expect an OS or device that provides more built in functionality to run just as fast as an OS or device that does not? Neither iOS or Android has the ability (without some hacking) to display multiple running apps (full apps, not widgets), in their own window, at the same time on the same screen. We cannot be naive enough not to realize that there is some overhang, some stutter, some sacrifice that is involved in making this happen.

We want the ability to touch two of our devices together to transfer data. We want wireless charging. Yet we don't want the extra weight or thickness on our device to accommodate these features?

I say we want these things because if you didn't want all this why would on earth would you want a webOS device? Why would you want a Touchpad? Why would you even be here on PreCentral?

I think there is a difference in wanting HP to improve the Touchpad, to make it faster and lighter, then wanting HP to make just another iPad clone. I'm happy with what HP has done overall with the Touchpad. It is the first tablet computer I've owned or used that truly replaces my laptop. I just want them to get off their butts and keep improving webOS to make my experience and your experience with the Touchpad enjoyable.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    I'm kinda perplexed. On the one hand it's fast enough for me. Way faster than my old Pre, but on the other hand I want to see it get faster so it surpasses the competition. Not only because it needs to be faster to improve the experience, but so that it just one less thing for a tech reviewer to compare it to.

Here is the rub for me and the one thing I think some people refuse to understand, webOS is not iOS or Android. We want things like synergy to balance all our accounts into one. We want true multi-tasking with the elegance and functionality of card view. We want these features and functionality that neither iOS or Android provide yet we want the OS to behave exactly the same? How do we expect an OS or device that provides more built in functionality to run just as fast as an OS or device that does not? Neither iOS or Android has the ability (without some hacking) to display multiple running apps (full apps, not widgets), in their own window, at the same time on the same screen. We cannot be naive enough not to realize that there is some overhang, some stutter, some sacrifice that is involved in making this happen.

We want the ability to touch two of our devices together to transfer data. We want wireless charging. Yet we don't want the extra weight or thickness on our device to accommodate these features?

I say we want these things because if you didn't want all this why would on earth would you want a webOS device? Why would you want a Touchpad? Why would you even be here on PreCentral?

I think there is a difference in wanting HP to improve the Touchpad, to make it faster and lighter, then wanting HP to make just another iPad clone. I'm happy with what HP has done overall with the Touchpad. It is the first tablet computer I've owned or used that truly replaces my laptop. I just want them to get off their butts and keep improving webOS to make my experience and your experience with the Touchpad enjoyable.
    while i agree on some points I totally disagree on others. I for one am not looking for a clone but for a tablet that delivers on every aspect of its purpose. I want stability and ease of use but also want something that can stand up to and surpass whats already out there. HP is attempting to challenge IOS and Honeycomb with webos so we have to compare it to them. Webos has just not delivered. Promises made and broken led to my leaving. Now I am back and wanna stay so do I expect more? Hell yea I do
    Yeah, it's not like impossible for webOS to perform faster. Numerous times we heard what is needed to be done, without saying that some of so beloved webOS features should be sacrificed for performance boost. Time was the only reason HP mentioned. So, development time was dispatched somwhere else.
    Just curious, has everyone in this thread taken a look here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html

After installing those, I have no problems with my Touchpad. I'm also getting OpenOffice to work on it as we speak, but that's another story...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodgingbrom View Post
    Just curious, has everyone in this thread taken a look here:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...g-so-fast.html

After installing those, I have no problems with my Touchpad. I'm also getting OpenOffice to work on it as we speak, but that's another story...
    The problem is that the majority of the complaints on here are coming from folks that don't own one. They will not find anything of real interest in improving performance.
    k4ever and doctj like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Yeah, it's not like impossible for webOS to perform faster. Numerous times we heard what is needed to be done, without saying that some of so beloved webOS features should be sacrificed for performance boost. Time was the only reason HP mentioned. So, development time was dispatched somwhere else.
    Agreed. They probably ran out of time and focused their efforts on getting the hardware out the door thinking that the software would be easy to update once the device was released. Wouldn't be the first time a company did that. But the software update probably needed some more time which is probably why we didn't have it. No excuses for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    The problem is that the majority of the complaints on here are coming from folks that don't own one. They will not find anything of real interest in improving performance.
    Seems to be a lot of that in the forums lately. Understandable if any of the improvements they ask for gets one of them to buy one. Waste of time and resources if they don't.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingers5 View Post
    while i agree on some points I totally disagree on others. I for one am not looking for a clone but for a tablet that delivers on every aspect of its purpose. I want stability and ease of use but also want something that can stand up to and surpass whats already out there. HP is attempting to challenge IOS and Honeycomb with webos so we have to compare it to them. Webos has just not delivered. Promises made and broken led to my leaving. Now I am back and wanna stay so do I expect more? Hell yea I do
    Then we do agree on the most important thing. Your 3rd sentence is exactly what I'm looking for also.
    I don't know why so manny members here are against native coding - it wouldn't affect ability for programming in web languages for those who want this, but would only improve performance of HP native apps.
    Yeah, let's remove web from webOS.

Since you have the Rosetta stone that would solve all the webOS problems (if there are any), I'll just throw one question to the table: which framework to use for developing those compiled apps?
    Newness Developments apps:

hparsons likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by deCorvett View Post
    ...I don't know why so manny members here are against native coding - it wouldn't affect ability for programming in web languages for those who want this, but would only improve performance of HP native apps.
    Yeah, let's remove web from webOS.

Since you have the Rosetta stone that would solve all the webOS problems (if there are any), I'll just throw one question to the table: which framework to use for developing those compiled apps?
    But then WebOS would become just OS, and the iOwners would say it was just a copy that was missing something.

Seriously, the constant stream of "advice" seemed to indicate he knew some terms, but didn't really understand what they mean.

As you know, HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, etc are "native" to WebOS.
    deCorvett likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    As you know, HTML, CSS, JAVASCRIPT, etc are "native" to WebOS.
    Plain and simple

Really, if doing a dummy app to demo that lagginess doesn't exists would serve for anything, I would do it.

But it would be lost time, so why care about it?

Really, if doing a dummy app to demo that lagginess doesn't exists would serve for anything, I would do it.

But it would be lost time, so why care about it?
    I have seen some random lagginess when selecting an app icon and others have reported the system slowing down during syncing or when additional search services were added. Its there but its not as bad as some would have you believe. What burns me is when a tech reviewer who should know better says that it is slow compared to iOS but never acknowledge the fact that iOS only lets you run one app at a time while webOS gives you the ability to have multiple apps open at a time. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

We all know that what really counts is the user experience. Right now the lagginess has not effected the overall user experience of anyone who has used my Touchpad, to included multiple iPhone users and a iPad user. They love the way the OS works.

I personally would like to see the lagginess go away, document editing added (or the Touchpad is useless as a total laptop replacement), and my darn Kindle app fully functionally!
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    Agreed. They probably ran out of time and focused their efforts on getting the hardware out the door thinking that the software would be easy to update once the device was released. Wouldn't be the first time a company did that. But the software update probably needed some more time which is probably why we didn't have it. No excuses for that.
    I don't expect the first update to fix every issue. Some things take a while to implement properly. If HP can release a webOS 3 update every month to six weeks between now and Thanksgiving, the product should be in good shape. By then, Opal should be shipping, and maybe the handset situation will be healthier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by dgdonovan View Post
    I don't expect the first update to fix every issue. Some things take a while to implement properly. If HP can release a webOS 3 update every month to six weeks between now and Thanksgiving, the product should be in good shape. By then, Opal should be shipping, and maybe the handset situation will be healthier.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    They're following the tablet path to gain smartphone marketshare. They're not going to show all their cards without having tablet users to appeal with. And I'm ok with that. I think it's a smart move.

Global Posts
    321 Global Posts
    I returned my touchpad as in my estimation and day to day use it caused me frustration. Email hanging it freezing for 5 seconds, spontaneous reboots, and lag throughout the OS at times. I'd get browser lag with nothing else running so it had nothing to do with the multitasking capabilities.
    I just want it to work...it doesn't all have to be like the ipad2 my wife uses, but it needs to work and be stable. Sadly I didn't want to wait for the updates to see if it fixes or improves the device. As others have mentioned it feels somewhat similarly to owning pre and pre plus--which I did. Its time to for the potential to be realized or other devices will be a better option. On a side note I used a galaxy 10.1 and android honeycomb 3.1 is a mess IMHO and behind the current version of the touchpad. It lacked any cohesion.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    They're following the tablet path to gain smartphone marketshare. They're not going to show all their cards without having tablet users to appeal with. And I'm ok with that. I think it's a smart move.
    disagree as i think its a suicidal move. there are other products available with better options. hp should have released the TP all guns blazing in my opinion as they are in fact battling for market share against IOS and Android. these have had a head start so HP should have released the TP with a bit more. GUI acceleration is a no brainer for me and excuses wont do. this is the same ole story with the original palm pre and now 4 devices later promises are still not being fulfilled. i m tired of this coming soon attitude with all that is webos. it always seems to have promise but what you actually get doesnt quite do it i am afraid. 5 random reboots in 2.5 days, text graphical distortions, random freezes and hangs have all tainted my initial impression and i for one am not prepared to hang in there as i did with the palm pre and pre plus!
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast