Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    In my experience with the touchpad it was much more laggy initially than it is now. The pauses are less frequent now and shorter but still irritating. In all fairness certain transitions that are glacial on my Pre plus are buttery smooth on the touchpad. I'm not sure whether the initial cpu cycles were being consumed by setting up synergy and other services. However the os doesn't appear to be well multithreaded or optimized if it's still exhibiting lag as a single core cpu at half the clock speed.
    HP had better fix this, otherwise they'll have a high RMA rate. Personally i'm enjoying my touchpad much more than I thought I would but this is my last chance for webOS. If issues aren't addressed i'll move to another platform for telephones and tablets.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    I knew this was going to be the case with webOS 3.0. I mentioned it in a post after the Veer came out. How is this OS STILL laggy? HP says everything will be fixed after they release an OTA update, but they are launching the Touchpad before the release of this update. Makes no sense. Bring on the Touchpad 2 already.

Here's my original post. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...webos-lag.html
    Why do we all need to agree? If it's too laggy for you, there's a very simple solution:

Don't Buy It

For those of us that feel differently, we seem to be pretty satisfied.
    Last edited by bevcraw; 07/16/2011 at 12:54 PM. Reason: unnecessary
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Why do we all need to agree? If it's too laggy for you, there's a very simple solution:

Don't Buy It

For those of us that feel differently, we seem to be pretty satisfied.
    Thanks!

I find it hilarious that the OP linked to his own post. That really confirmed everything for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    O RLY? Enyo has been in development well over 7 months. The framework was being publicly demonstrated 7 months ago.

HP demonstrates Enyo Javascript framework for WebOS - Techworld.com

In 7 months, Android went from Cupcake 1.5 to Donut 1.6 to Eclair 2.0 and then two months later to Eclair 2.1, which is probably the development time frame for Enyo right now. 9 months to develop a new version of the mobile OS is time enough to get a mature release.
    And in that time Google still hasn't concentrated hard enough on the UI to make it more intuitive. Partners like HTC, Samsung, and Motorola have to throw their own skins over the UI to make it more intuitive for the user. It took them until version 2.2 to get rid of the need for a task manager to kill background apps but they made it so aggressive that it prematurely kills all of those pretty UI enhancement. Version 3.0 is better, but it was made specifically for tablets and won't be re-coded for phones until version 3.2. I love Google but they make boneheaded decisions just as quickly if not quicker than HP.

We wouldn't even be discussing this if HP had waited 1 extra month to release the Touchpad, but we definitely would be tearing into them for missing their release date again.
    Quote Originally Posted by doctj View Post
    In my experience with the touchpad it was much more laggy initially than it is now. The pauses are less frequent now and shorter but still irritating. In all fairness certain transitions that are glacial on my Pre plus are buttery smooth on the touchpad. I'm not sure whether the initial cpu cycles were being consumed by setting up synergy and other services. However the os doesn't appear to be well multithreaded or optimized if it's still exhibiting lag as a single core cpu at half the clock speed.
    HP had better fix this, otherwise they'll have a high RMA rate. Personally i'm enjoying my touchpad much more than I thought I would but this is my last chance for webOS. If issues aren't addressed i'll move to another platform for telephones and tablets.
    Have you also notice that if you clear logging and set it to minimum the lag is almost non-existent? This is standard Linux. The system hangs when something goes wrong. So imagine what is happening under the hood as it is setting up/or syncing your profile for the first time, downloading all you old apps, and reporting your information to HP...

HP did not do a good job of letting the public know what to expect for the first few days with their shiny new $500-600 gadget. We had to find out most of this stuff after the fact or from the homebrew guys. I was fortunate that mine only acted up on the first day. Maybe a little more warning along with those UI enhancements on day one would have helped.
    Quote Originally Posted by k4ever View Post
    And in that time Google still hasn't concentrated hard enough on the UI to make it more intuitive. Partners like HTC, Samsung, and Motorola have to throw their own skins over the UI to make it more intuitive for the user. It took them until version 2.2 to get rid of the need for a task manager to kill background apps but they made it so aggressive that it prematurely kills all of those pretty UI enhancement. Version 3.0 is better, but it was made specifically for tablets and won't be re-coded for phones until version 3.2. I love Google but they make boneheaded decisions just as quickly if not quicker than HP.

We wouldn't even be discussing this if HP had waited 1 extra month to release the Touchpad, but we definitely would be tearing into them for missing their release date again.
    HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc... make different skins to make their phone stand out from others. If they all used vanilla android they would be just like wp7. If you want a truly stock experience go nexus.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    estebancam likes this.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    Have you also notice that if you clear logging and set it to minimum the lag is almost non-existent? This is standard Linux. The system hangs when something goes wrong. So imagine what is happening under the hood as it is setting up/or syncing your profile for the first time, downloading all you old apps, and reporting your information to HP...

HP did not do a good job of letting the public know what to expect for the first few days with their shiny new $500-600 gadget. We had to find out most of this stuff after the fact or from the homebrew guys. I was fortunate that mine only acted up on the first day. Maybe a little more warning along with those UI enhancements on day one would have helped.
    Do you mean clearing the call logs and how is it set to minimum?
    Wobblin30#WN likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    HTC, Samsung, Motorola, etc... make different skins to make their phone stand out from others. If they all used vanilla android they would be just like wp7. If you want a truly stock experience go nexus.

Sent from my EVO Shift 4G
    I like the Nexus. Very nice looking device. I'm not too happy with stock experience in 2.x though. I use ADWLauncher EX on my tablet. 3.0 is better looking but of course the manufacturer of my tablet won't provide an update so I can't get it until someone makes a custom ROM with it for my tablet.

I'm loving webOS 3.0 even with the flaws...
    Do you mean clearing the call logs and how is it set to minimum?
    Yes, clearing the logs and setting logging to minimum. There is a thread about speeding up the Touchpad here and that was covered in it. Not from HP of course (why would they want you to do that?) but from the Homebrew community.
    Quote Originally Posted by deihmos View Post
    I find the android UI to be a lot more intuitive than Webos. I don't have to launch an app to see see new tweets or get detailed weather. I have a widget for everything I need. Applications launch instatntly and there so many great applications. I don't get what is so inuitive about Webos. Two years on the market and barely any improvements. Still laggy, buggy, and barely has any support.
    I guess that is a matter of opinion, but we don't need to discuss Android too much, that would throw the thread off. Android is successful regardless of what anyone thinks about the UI. WebOS needs some more polishing in the UI that HP has already addressed and will hopefully be here before the month is out.
    I find the android UI to be a lot more intuitive than Webos. I don't have to launch an app to see see new tweets or get detailed weather. I have a widget for everything I need. Applications launch instatntly and there so many great applications. I don't get what is so inuitive about Webos. Two years on the market and barely any improvements. Still laggy, buggy, and barely has any support.
    And yet everyone incluidng Apple and Rim is trying to copy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    And yet everyone incluidng Apple and Rim is trying to copy them.
    You mean like pinch to zoom?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinsin07 View Post
    You mean like pinch to zoom?
    Nice to see that you're recognizing Apple didn't invent this - but they didn't copy pinch to zoom from from WebOS. It was around back in the early 80's.
    Last edited by hparsons; 07/17/2011 at 10:28 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hagster View Post
    OK, i'm normally pretty optimistic about webOS.

I can put up with a bit of lag and jerkyness. The problem here is complete STALLs for many seconds. When you end up pressing the same button 10 times before it then opens 10 new cards you have a problem.

I dont agree that this is about GPU acceleration. That would just make things like scrolling smoother. This is about when the CPU is too busy servicing a blocking function too respond. No amount of GPU nonsense will help. I thought the dual core would help but it clearly doesn't. I now think it's something more fundamental about how the OS works

also, when apps stall on loading like quickoffice did in the engadget vid and google maps does all the time on the Pre, I get really annoyed.

these problems have existed from day1 on the Pre and I don't see any signs of them being fixed. We were told that Enyo would be the cure and it clearly isn't (it does sound better to develop for though).

If and when webOS3.0 comes to my trusty Pre2 i'll re-consider, but for now I'll hold off on the touchpad. HP is lucky I don't just go out and get a iPad2.
    the reason I dont agree with this is because my Pre 2 runs smoothly....as in no hiccups at all smoothly. I have gotten people to be interested in my pre 2 simply because of how fast it is. In fact, I have only some resets on the phone, but only luna resets... I have never, from what I can recall, had hiccups like touchpad.

I have said this before and I will say it again. I love my touchpad, I really do. But hp should have stuck with Texas Instruments for their processors. Qualcomm just doesnt cut it. Look at android handsets- the worst performance and battery life on android always always comes from phones being powered by qualcomm. Period.

still love my touchpad though. And I have only had a few hiccups, nothing more than I had on my iphone when I had it, and have had to only reset it once, which again is no more than I had to do with iphone. I havent experienced hardly any of the issues people speak of and I rarely (VERY VERY RARELY) see lag. I can probably count the times I have seen lag in one hand.
    It takes a special kind of person to "get" it, but nice that you're still checking in for us.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts

I added Imdb to my search options and my TP has slowed down again. So it appears that the cpu is dedicating a lot of cycles to search and synergy setup. That indicates two potential problems: 1. Inabililty of the OS to prioritize that task to low so it consumes less cycles. 2. Webos is not multithreaded well enough to dedicate the task to one cpu and free the other.
    GPU offloading will help 2 but not 1.
    After restarting, it's returned to it's usual snappiness. I would recommend restarting whenever you add a search or synergy service and definitely several times after initial setup.
    Last edited by doctj; 07/17/2011 at 05:00 AM.
    I added Imdb to my search options and my TP has slowed down again. So it appears that the cpu is dedicating a lot of cycles to search and synergy setup. That indicates two potential problems: 1. Inabililty of the OS to prioritize that task to low so it consumes less cycles. 2. Webos is not multithreaded well enough to dedicate the task to one cpu and free the other.
    GPU offloading will help 2 but not 1.
    After restarting, it's returned to it's usual snappiness. I would recommend restarting whenever you add a search or synergy service and definitely several times after initial setup.
    I'll take that into consideration. Has anyone timed how slow/quickly an app starts with the lag? Also, is the lag consistent or does something else have to be going on in the background for it to happen? I ask because from what I've noticed is that I tap on some app icons and there is a 1 second delay with the start, then the app springs into action. The only delay I see is with the start. The system doesn't bog down while the app is running.
    I've also noticed that on Android 2.x devices the system crawls to an annoying halt when an app is installing. Both Android and webOS use Linux as the host operating system.
    Global Posts
    300 Global Posts
    I'll take that into consideration. Has anyone timed how slow/quickly an app starts with the lag? Also, is the lag consistent or does something else have to be going on in the background for it to happen? I ask because from what I've noticed is that I tap on some app icons and there is a 1 second delay with the start, then the app springs into action. The only delay I see is with the start. The system doesn't bog down while the app is running.
    Quite a few tasks slowed after adding Imdb: web page loading, card opening, autocorrect and lag btw tapping an icon and execution of the task. It reminds me of the windows desktop single core days.
    i guess after reading all this, i have come to my own wisdom quote.

when you let the same person,
    perform the same task,
    with the same attitude,
    and mentality,
    and same resource,
    within the same timeframe,

there is one certainty. no cigar for guessing it.

you end up with the same mistake. again.
    KCTraveler likes this.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast