Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    Google does software 100%. Nothing else. You can't possibly compare Google's update cycles to HP/Palm.
    100% false.

They already own a $40 million wind farm that's operational.
    They are starting up a clean energy plant (solar panels and molten salt).
    They partnered with NASA on a nanotechnology research program.
    They are one of the largest advertising companies in the world (99% of their revenue is from advertising).
    They co-own a satellite that's used for google earth.
    They're developing a self-driving car (and it's already done thousands of miles on the roads)
    They are now an ISP with actual fiber on the ground (and expanding this).
    They own a venture capital firm (Google Ventures).
    They're part owners of a biotech firm.
    They're a telecommunications company (Google Voice, which has a pay service for international calling).
    Plus, HP controls the software AND the hardware. That makes the apparent lack of optimization even more shocking.
    jkpritchard and geewhiz like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Plus, HP controls the software AND the hardware. That makes the apparent lack of optimization even more shocking.
    No, HP's stubborn insisting on their perception of hardware-software unity is shocking. Like, everything is ideal in webOS land, and they don't want let others to ruin that perfection

UI/performance smoothness was never major Palm's concern.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    O RLY? Enyo has been in development well over 7 months. The framework was being publicly demonstrated 7 months ago.

HP demonstrates Enyo Javascript framework for WebOS - Techworld.com

In 7 months, Android went from Cupcake 1.5 to Donut 1.6 to Eclair 2.0 and then two months later to Eclair 2.1, which is probably the development time frame for Enyo right now. 9 months to develop a new version of the mobile OS is time enough to get a mature release.
    Samsung showed a thick, heavy Galaxy Tab 10.1 at MWC in February.

Then Apple showed the improved iPad 2 in March. Two days later the Samsung CEO apologized.

In April, Samsung showed dummy units of a record thin and light all new Galaxy Tab 10.1. They gave away 5,000 in May at Google I/O and started shipping in June.

That's two month from dummy units to shipping product. So what we think is the Tab 10.1 is really the Tab 10.1 II that was due for the holidays.

I think that HP is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat. HP needs to make the TouchPad 2 happen now.

The TouchPad 1 was supposed to come out in the spring of 2010 and take on the iPad 1. As Ruby said in February, they lost a design cycle.

HP needs the TouchPad 2 now to fight the iPad 2. Then they can be ready to match the iPad 3 this winter.

HP has to catch up. Samsung did it and so can HP.
    Rnp, HelloNNNewman and shaffaaf27 like this.
    Samsung did it and so can HP.
    Where is the button "I Agree"?

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    Quote Originally Posted by milominderbinder View Post
    I think that HP is going to pull a rabbit out of the hat. HP needs to make the TouchPad 2 happen now.

The TouchPad 1 was supposed to come out in the spring of 2010 and take on the iPad 1. As Ruby said in February, they lost a design cycle.

HP needs the TouchPad 2 now to fight the iPad 2. Then they can be ready to match the iPad 3 this winter.
    I agree with you. The problem is, what becomes of the production run of the original TouchPad? Precentral just ran a story earlier in the week about HP contracting Inventec to manufacture 450,000 TouchPads a month for a total of 3 million TouchPads in 2011.

I don't know when Inventec started production of the TouchPad but even a month's worth of TouchPads would have to be scrapped if HP is to hit the panic button and quickly design a more competitive tablet.
    I gotta say the adjustment made by samsung is really showing the strength of that company, super high efficiency.
    chalx likes this.
  8.    #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post

Either way, I have yet to see any significant "lag" or "bugginess" in the system as a whole. One or two things might come up which are annoying, but definitely NOTHING, and I literally mean NOTHING like the Pre minus. It's a COMPLETELY different experience.

Please at least TOUCH a Touchpad before deciding its not for you when one app on a prerelease device in a video on the internet doesn't load.
    Are we watching the same videos? Seriously. I've notice bugs in every hands on review video that I've watched and it makes me cringe each time. Everyone is coming up with excuses for the half-baked experience, but your typical consumer isn't going to put up with the frustration. This magical OTA update that's coming will probably not do a thing. I'm just amazed that companies try to take on the iPad with stuff like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    HP hasn't owned the OS for three years. However, the OS has been in development for almost three years, been on the market for almost three years, and many of the same people who were originally working on it are still there in the company its currently under. While it may say HP instead of Palm now, its not "actual facts" to attempt to act like it is an OS that didn't exist prior to a year ago or that its something entirely seperate and wholely and alienly different than Palm WebOS.

The same generalized people...Palm and the company who bought Palm and thus gain its legacy regarding the products it continues to push...have for going on to the 3rd year now been giving out "reasonable excuses". Its whining about fiction when you attempt to act or imply that somehow Palm and "The products and remnants of palm that HP is pushing under its own brand" are entirely seperate entities that shouldn't be viewed as a reasonable similar product grouping.
    It's really not even a debatable topic. You claimed "they release". Sorry, they didn't. That was Palm, this is HP.
    Quote Originally Posted by i2y4n View Post
    Okay okay, whatever, give or take a month, wow. HP has owned Palm for one year, so its definitely less than that.

3.0 is a complete rewrite of the operating system. It isn't just an update.
    They rewrote the JavaScript framework, not the OS. They are not one in the same.
    Samsung showed a thick, heavy Galaxy Tab 10.1 at MWC in February.

They'll never do this but what they should do:

1. Release a new TouchPad that's faster, longer lasting battery and as thin/light as the Tab 10.1 (and do this within 1 month).

2. Lower the price of the TouchPad 1 to $350.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts

Good to see others remember the Samsung story too. Nicely said.

It all depends on HP's definition of success. If they truly want to be at the top of the market as they claim, they'll stop the partying and get back to work now.
    Windows needs to perform more consistently? Even 30 years after it's launch?

ok, ok.. I am giving myself a timeout from this site. In the end, it can really suck the time away.

I was looking forward to the TouchPad, but now that it is much worse than advertised I don't see a reason to stick around for now. Good luck folks and I hope to be back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jkpritchard View Post
    I knew this was going to be the case with webOS 3.0. I mentioned it in a post after the Veer came out. How is this OS STILL laggy? HP says everything will be fixed after they release an OTA update, but they are launching the Touchpad before the release of this update. Makes no sense. Bring on the Touchpad 2 already.

Here's my original post. http://forums.precentral.net/webos-d...webos-lag.html
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    They rewrote the JavaScript framework, not the OS. They are not one in the same.
    Thank you.

I wish people were open minded and at least somewhat neutral when they read posts that don't blow sunshine up HP's rear end. Android 1.5 to Android 2.1 added additional resolution support, multi-touch, a heavily revised UI, MS Exchange support, substantial performance and battery life improvements, dual core processor support, a new app market, VPN support, an app manager, new search function, text to speech engine, gesture support, CDMA support, a new Linux kernel, advanced multitouch support, credentials manager, softkey support for home buttons, a new browser, a major enhancement to the camera support (features like zoom, flash and color) effects, live wallpapers, and more. The difference between Cupcake 1.5 and Eclair 2.1 FAR surpass changes from webOS 1.4 to webOS 3.0, IMHO.

Just for the record, Google is primarily a software company, but I think you'll find they have other projects than just Android development...

The problems with the TouchPad are widespread and consistent. Sure, I could go to Best Buy and check out the TouchPad for 5 minutes and it might not have any problems. The people reviewing the device had it for hours or days to play with it. Even PreCentral's review talks about lag and lock ups. It's not an illusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    Know what else they've got flack for in the past?

Releasing a device that was laggy and buggy at launch and promising that "udpates" would fix it...and yet 2 years later, without homebrew, it still routinely runs into situations where you get errrors simply opening more than 1 card.

Is it a reasonable excuse on their pat? Absolutely. However, when you've given nothing but "reasonable excuses" for now going on 3 years the level of "reasonableness" becomes less important than the level of "excuses".
    How many "Reasonable excuses" do we give them until we leave for another company who isnt giving excuses, but a better experience?
    Motorola i710 > Motorola i760 > Samsung M520 > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by rumz View Post
    I've noticed this. The iPad is just more clever about disguising any latency. It makes for a better UX, though.
    I look forward to see how things are after the update vs now (once I get my hands on it tomorrow), maybe HP should attempt to lure a few of those engineers away from Apple to take a stab at duplicating the experience we see with iOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by 6tr6tr View Post
    They'll never do this but what they should do:

1. Release a new TouchPad that's faster, longer lasting battery and as thin/light as the Tab 10.1 (and do this within 1 month).

2. Lower the price of the TouchPad 1 to $350.

1. I think its safe to say from a processor standpoint the touchpad is packing enough heat. I would go so far to say, while the hardware is not stellar that is not the issue that will prevent people from purchasing it. It is the lack of stability in the overall OS. If they can work this out fast enough, I think they will be fine.

2.By doing that you are shooting yourself in the foot, and severely devaluing WEBOS.
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post

2.By doing that you are shooting yourself in the foot, and severely devaluing WEBOS.
    By not doing that, you are not selling. Its been called on the cheap side by many reviews already, whats the point not admitting it.

Occupying that market is the most important thing now, holding a none-existing premium image is not.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    By not doing that, you are not selling. Its been called on the cheap side by many reviews already, whats the point not admitting it.

Occupying that market is the most important thing now, holding a none-existing premium image is not.
    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I disagree with you that the pricepoint is what will hold this device back. Time will tell
    Quote Originally Posted by stri8ed View Post
    OK, we need to end this misconception right now.

Android was (at one time) considered the cheap option to the iPhone. There were a ton of different cheap Android phones on the market. Guess what that did? It didn't make them the cheap option for life, instead it gave them a foothold, it gave them a large base of users from which to expand their ecosystem. And now? They've got both cheap and top-of-the-line phones and are a very respected and widely used OS.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast