Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Every review I've read seems to indicate the performance is a little choppy. HP says all those issues with an OTA update.

I feel like it might be worth just waiting for that first OTA update and getting a better experience off the bat. Then again, look at how well waiting for things has turned out for the sprint pre users.
    I guess I will have mine soon so I will let you know when the first OTA update lands.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Why wait? If the update is coming and I have money tomorrow, why not?

I know that HP isn't just going to drop the ball on this one. You don't spend billions of dollars to have the rights to make a half-assed product. They don't want to lose. I am sure all the 'its on it's way' rumors are quite alright with me. Especially considering when the iPad was released they already had a successful OS, and weren't dealing with financial struggles, like Palm. So, we are still in a transition period, where it will start luke warm, and get burning hot in no time at all.

Or at very least I will have a nice multi-card browser :P (w/angry birds)

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Seeing how quick samsung turned around a lighter, thinner tablet and how big of a difference there is between ipad 1 and 2 has given me pause.

Palm has never done really well on the first try, for example, the Tungsten T was pretty cool but the T3 was WAY better. The Pre- was ok, but the Pre 2 (after the pre plus) was MUCH better.

These were all improvements in hardware as well as software. The time line for change is happening so fast, I think the TP 1 will be obsolete very fast.

Also, with out solid apps, I have a hard time seeing the value proposition for a tablet. I want to believe, I just think it makes more sense to wait.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Heck no! That is part of the fun of being an early adopter. You get to watch the device get better and better, while still enjoying the good parts right away. The original pre had some issues, but they got fixed, and that was before we homebrew was established. The issues will get worked out, the apps will come and I will have been there from the begining.

Anyone remember when the pre got it's first homebrew app? Flip Flops, it was just an icon. We've come a long way!
    65fastback likes this.
    I'm guessing that it will be good by the time canada gets it, so these early reviews dont mean too much.
    Think I might just hang back and see what their next TouchPad device will be and what improvements it will have.
    Quote Originally Posted by LocoTreoGurl View Post
    Heck no! That is part of the fun of being an early adopter. You get to watch the device get better and better, while still enjoying the good parts right away. The original pre had some issues, but they got fixed, and that was before we homebrew was established. The issues will get worked out, the apps will come and I will have been there from the begining.

Anyone remember when the pre got it's first homebrew app? Flip Flops, it was just an icon. We've come a long way!
    Plus, you can have a say so in what improvements need to be made (at least the homebrew folks will listen)!
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    LocoTreoGurl likes this.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    i think friday or sometime this weekend there will be some sort of an update
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    it wasn't till 1.4.0(and the Pre Plus) that the phone really shone. That was something like update 3 or 4. I suspect the TP will be similar.
    I have cancelled my order and am waiting for at least the first OTA and am leaning towards waiting for TP2 or no tablet at all.
    There is another thread asking this question:

Reviews are out: are you still getting the TouchPad?

40% says that they are still going to get the TouchPad now. 35% are waiting for one reason or another. 25% say they will wait for the TouchPad 2.

Take that poll if you haven't already.
    LOOT !! I'm not waiting !!
    ĦṔ-Ḷṫ-Ŧḯη
    Here is a direct link to webOS Doc for all carriers
    http://www.webos-internals.org/wiki/...octor_Versions
    P.S. if i have helped you and you are thankful please hit the thanks button to the right---->
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Plus, you can have a say so in what improvements need to be made (at least the homebrew folks will listen)!
    They don't have managers telling them that they should be working on something else and a QA group making them do lots of BS to get a release tested either.
    Not only am I gonna wait for the first OTA (or second or third until they fix ALL major bugs) but I'm not buying one until I can view and edit Office docs on it, have a real e-mail client, a supported file manager (okay, InternalZ is fine) and a real PIM (even if I have to do it myself ...). Palm is long gone, this product is all HP so we will see. A old saying goes (modified appropriately for HP) "First time ... shame on HP, Second time ... shame on ME! And really, $50 makes it right? ...
    if you are its a mistake. If you like webos you will be amazed by the touchpad. Soo glad BB sold it to me
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    if you are its a mistake. If you like webos you will be amazed by the touchpad. Soo glad BB sold it to me
    Really? I'm sitting here waiting on a 2.1 update for my Pre2 while HP and Verizon argue about who's responsible for the three month delay! I'm always amazed at people who think they can decide what's best for me. I obviously love webOS or I would not have stuck with my Pre- till February and then bought a Pre 2! But the pattern is clear now ...

You see, software development is a process that can't easily be speeded up! You can add more bodies but that doesn't necessarily speed up the development process and may, in fact, slow it down. Contrast that with hardware development which, once you have a basic design working, it is much easier to make incremental changes such as a faster processor, more memory, additional I/O, etc. A small change can crash a whole OS! Plus, unfortunately, HP, as well as the other brands, have to rely on many partners to complete the "solution" ... Adobe, Qualcomm, Quickoffice, and many others. So, it's going to take time and many launches to "catch up" to the market.

The most unfortunate aspect of this launch is that it might hurt the Touchpad's perception with those partners. It's one thing to not have a feature, it's another to have a feature that doesn't work. webOS is way behind in its reliability and development and HP can throw money at it that Palm could not but that will take time. The good news is that HP's webOS "play" is about so much more than smartphones and tablets and they will not give up easily.

I'm also amazed that most of the reviewers don't get it regarding the thicker, heavier, and non-metal back. It's about touchstone!. That feature is a huge differentiator and it was the one feature that I couldn't leave behind ever time I looked at leaving webOS based hardware. You don't think HP could build a clone of the iPad2? Of course they could! But then it would just be an iPad2 and not Apple, and they would not sell any ...

So, as many posters have said, it's about what each individual wants and needs and can afford. And $50 cheaper would not get someone to buy a TouchPad if it doesn't serve that person's desire, needs, and budget! So, take a DEEP breath, do your own review of how it matches up with your CURRENT needs and budget and adjust your desire accordingly ...
    Quote Originally Posted by japomani View Post
    Seeing how quick samsung turned around a lighter, thinner tablet and how big of a difference there is between ipad 1 and 2 has given me pause.
    This. Samsung had an improved Galaxy Tab out within about a six month window. I'm sure HP doesn't want the TouchPad to come across as a cheap mistake, but they're really into the idea of a family of WebOS devices, so maybe they could push out an improved one. It would be great if the rumored August launch of a 7-inch tablet brings something that addresses some shortcomings, but common sense says no. Regardless, I'll be waiting for a hardware or OTA update or a price drop.

As an aside, the average consumer isn't going to know about or really understand OTA updates. I also don't think they really care that the TouchPad's technical specs aren't cutting edge. I think HP has done a pretty good job of selling the TouchPad in pretty non-technical terms, but in doing so they really take aim directly at Apple's arsenal of iFeatures. As a result, I think the silly things like lack of a front-facing camera and fewer familiar apps are enough to keep plenty of consumers away.
    I am waiting for OTA , kindle and generally for everything to work.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I'm also amazed that most of the reviewers don't get it regarding the thicker, heavier, and non-metal back. It's about touchstone!. That feature is a huge differentiator and it was the one feature that I couldn't leave behind ever time I looked at leaving webOS based hardware. You don't think HP could build a clone of the iPad2? Of course they could! But then it would just be an iPad2 and not Apple, and they would not sell any ...
    I don't mind the plastic back, I just wish it was rubberized like the Pre 2.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast