Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By netmarshall
  • 1 Post By netmarshall
  • 1 Post By Rnp
  • 2 Post By netmarshall
  1.    #1  
    I am prepared to forgive a lot: Weight? A non-issue...I have played with it at BB next to other tablets. The "bulbous" thing others complain about I think is an advantage. It feels good in your hands, better than a lot of the more angular thinner tabs. My wrists (and I suspect most people's) are not calibrated sensitive enough to notice the minor difference in weight.

The rest of the "hardware" issues: No rear camera? Okay, that kind of sucks. There are a ton of business applications for a camera on a pad (take pics of your patients, adjusters taking pics of damage, using red laser app to scan product codes, etc.). But not a deal breaker...if they (or a 3rd party) does a camera app, maybe the front facing cam can do some of those things.

No HDMI out? Also a huge problem for a business (and consumer) device, but maybe the can release an adapter or airplay like device down the road.

Laggy and buggy? Okay, no new device is perfect (even Apple's), and I believe there will be OTA updates in short order to address them...some bugs are to be expected.

Here is what it comes down to for me: Apps. They have had months to work on getting the big name apps on this thing. If they have not cajoled, bribed, or just written their own versions of all the big name apps (Hulu, Netflix, Youtube, Evernote, you guys know what they all are) over the last five months, then they are smoking crack. Yes, you can do a lot of this stuff in a flash capable browser, but it isn't as clean of a user experience when you are fat fingering flash based sites designed for a larger resolution desktop rather than in an app optimized for the tablet. where are the top "300" apps? I haven't seen them yet. If this is all there is, then this is going to be a very uphill climb. You have to launch with most of the big name apps if you want to compete. I hope they are holding back some big surprises for launch day (but am starting to believe probably not).

If the big apps are there, with enough marketing, there is a good chance the public will look past the other flaws and fall in love with webOS (parts of the UI are awesome, different, and clearly better than Android and even Apple). Even with synergy, and all the other niceties of webOS, it is hard to recommend a tablet - at the same price point - sitting next to the market leader, that can't do half of what the leader does so well.
    H/P is just slow, they need new blood like Samsung
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  3.    #3  
    In some ways they just don't seem in touch with reality. I love the cards and just type. Still, they don't get that it is about the apps. Not having 500,000 apps is okay. Not having the 300 important ones is not.

Here is just on indicator they don't get it. The launcher should be more customizable. I don't want to sift through a sea of icons like an ipad, but I do want the apps I use most up and running in one click. I want them right on the launcher. I don't want to have type something to get to my app, and I don't want to have to drill down two or 3 clicks either. They are two in love with their cards and just type. If you want to check facebook, you want to get there in one click. I don't want to sort through open cards anymore than I want to sort through pages of icons.
    nyquistjack likes this.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Apps come with market share. As the TouchPad and webOS start to grow in user base we'll see more and more apps get released. The TouchPad is launching with more apps than either the Android or the Playbook launched with and that's a win. If they can get netflix and other big apps by the end of the summer, they'll be OK.
    I really don't think that the hardware difference if a minus. Devices are getting to the point these days that they are just to thin to hold properly. My worry is about how the back feels on the Touchpad. That sticky plasticy feel or a smooth cover.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    289 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by netmarshall View Post
    Here is just on indicator they don't get it. The launcher should be more customizable. I don't want to sift through a sea of icons like an ipad, but I do want the apps I use most up and running in one click. I want them right on the launcher. I don't want to have type something to get to my app, and I don't want to have to drill down two or 3 clicks either. They are two in love with their cards and just type. If you want to check facebook, you want to get there in one click. I don't want to sort through open cards anymore than I want to sort through pages of icons.
    how on earth do you get any app on any device up and running in one click.

with no app open webos is 1 click/swipe to open launcher, then 1 click to open the app of choice (assuming the apps that are most important are on the first page)

with no app open on iOS you click once ont he app you want (possibly twice if its in a folder. So in that instance it's faster some times.

with no app open on android you click launcher just like webos then click the app you want.

they are all basically the same. I have no idea what you are talking about.

also "drill down 3 clicks"? Where? when? for what?

android has like 5 damn home screens all covered in widgets and only one of them has the app launcher icon by default (on some version I think).

This must be trolling because you make no sense.
    no new device is perfect (even Apple's)
    Hum??? "Even"?

Apps come with market share. As the TouchPad and webOS start to grow in user base we'll see more and more apps get released. The TouchPad is launching with more apps than either the Android or the Playbook launched with and that's a win
    And Marketshare comes with buyers buying!

Okay, the HP begun to sell. Next step: sell in OTHER COUNTRIES (ok, ok... I know that everybody is tired to see me saying this)!

Selling only in two or three countries is the same as don't sell.

Apple has launched the IPad 2 after the HP show the TP, and we HAVE to buy here. Samsung has launched the Galaxy S2 after the Veer, and we HAVE to buy here. HellMoto is selling here the Atrix AND Xoom.

Now, if do you live in Portugal, Spain, Italy, Brazil, Japan, Australia, Israel, China, India, Argentina or any other no official country, you have to import? C'mon.

I continue saying: have to sell in so many countries as possible! And this, is just to begin...

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    zwergholdrio likes this.
  8.    #8  
    It feels (and looks) just like a bigger version of the original iphone 3GS. "Apps come with market share"...true. But if you want a successful launch, to get past the "chicken or the egg" problem, you have to open your wallet and pay to get the important apps on there day one.

They are doing a lot of good things to make TP attractive to developers...but if Enyo is so wonderful, and porting IOS and other apps is so easy using the SDK and PDK, there is no excuse not to have the big players at launch.
    I would love more apps, but I am not sold on the dire need for them when you have a browser that is as capable as the TouchPad's. I agree that it doesnt seem to have 300 of even the core apps, but I will let you know tomorrow once I get mine. BTW, I am an original Pre person and I know that the updates came pretty fast, even if they didnt fully deliver on the promises (Flash...?). If the updates come as fast as they did with the Pre, some of these things (non-editable tabs, non-customizeable task bar, email short comings, etc) may get ironed out.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
  10.    #10  
    What I mean is, I want the ability to customize the launcher with a few more of my top apps. If facebook was on the launcher, I could be there in one click. I don't have to click the up arrow thing on the launcher and then select an icon, it is always right on my desktop.

Yes, if I want to post, I can do that from just type, but sometimes, you just want to see what other may have posted. I have an ipad (and iphone), but I'm not an Apple nut. Fact is they are the market leader, and they are what you get compared with.
  11.    #11  
    If they want to sell to the faithful, no apps is not that big of a deal. If you want to sell to the public, it is huge. I am going to buy a Touchpad. I love synergy, the integration of all my contacts, email, facebook photos is great. I believe that it will get better over time. The dev tools are there and apps and UI enhancements will come. It is just sad that the big ones aren't here (that we know of yet) out of the gate. I still hope to get surprised with some big name apps (and maybe some type of video out support?)...I think if those things were to come near term, they would have leaked them to the reviewers...

If HP really had wanted to get this right, and disrupt Apple's world, there would be front camera, and an SD card slot. Out of the box, let me stream all my files (music, photos, videos) to the Touchpad and see all my existing docs with synergy (I believe this will come, but I can already do this today on iPad1 using Zumocast). I hope there are surprises to come...you can make a case that with Quick Office editable in the near term (included in the purchase price out of the box) and 50 GB of Box.net storage, it is a better value (or will be) than ipad (where you have to buy the office editing apps at @$10 a piece).
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    What I mean is, I want the ability to customize the launcher with a few more of my top apps. If facebook was on the launcher, I could be there in one click. I don't have to click the up arrow thing on the launcher and then select an icon, it is always right on my desktop.

Yes, if I want to post, I can do that from just type, but sometimes, you just want to see what other may have posted. I have an ipad (and iphone), but I'm not an Apple nut. Fact is they are the market leader, and they are what you get compared with.
    as far as i know webos has always let u customize the launcher.... and knowing the homebrew communitiy you would soon be able to stick more than 5 apps there soon enough.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
  13.    #13  
    One other gripe...no tabbed browsing? The palm guys are too in love with their cards and stacks. It is not more convenient to go out to card stacks to flip through sites. It is just as annoying as the way safari does it. Also, how a bout a private mode for browsing?

Really want to mess with Apple's world? Make the whole device multi-user...let me log on as a guest on my wife's TP using my profile and get to all my stuff and all my apps. Let me do the same from my pc or anywhere. Let me flick files from my phone to TP (then maybe I don't care about the no front camera)...and not just my palm phone...from iphone and android too. sigh. We'll get there...just sad to see so much potential to change the game not executed against...
    mivok and shingi_70 like this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I could forgive having specs that are comparable to last years models and looks chubby compared to this years.

I could forgive the feeling of relatively cheap production and a glossy plastic back.

I could forgive the lack of video out.

I could forgive slow downs in the OS.

I could forgive the lack of apps, and of big apps like netflix.

I could forgive stupid OS omissions like non-threaded email or not having a camera app.

I could forgive a lack of a rear camera.

I could forgive the loss of a gesture centric OS environment.

I could forgive the lack of memory expansion.

I could forgive the lack of polish in an OS like having an easy way to select a location of text.

I could forgive obviously important things being omitted with some being "promised" to come later.

I could forgive a price that's higher than last year models tablets that its MORE comparable too and more in line with the most expensive models of this year.

What I can't forgive is all of those things put together, hoping to sell me again on "promise" and "potential" and an amazing OS that is devoid of everything else that goes into the experience.

This thing screams the original Pre launch all over again. I'm still living with the pain of that launch, I have no desire to do it again. I can't forgive that. Maybe next year they actually come out with something that is on par or ahead of THIS YEARS competition, not last.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    as far as i know webos has always let u customize the launcher.... and knowing the homebrew communitiy you would soon be able to stick more than 5 apps there soon enough.
    Sadly I left Windows Mobile and jumped ship to WebOS because I wanted an OS that worked well and intelligently without having to spend hours on end surfing forums, sideloading things, and customizing every little detail through backwards hacks that may or may not slow down my phone. I do love the fact we have a homebrew community, but the fact its almost required to be used to have a logically working phone for little things as simple as naming a freaking launcher page is not something to love.
    On the demo unit that I played with at Wal-Mart the other day, I was able to remove apps from the launcher, as well as move other apps to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    H/P is just slow, they need new blood like Samsung
    a company turns a product around after an acquisition in less than a year and you call them SLOW???

Samsung is fast because they dont need to make the OS!!
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    I am a launch-day Pre owner. When the Pre came out, everyone said the same things...no apps, buggy, laggy, etc. With homebrew and a little luck, I still have a great phone that does everything I need and more. I held a TP last night(couldn't play because it was completely dead, but I did get to see the little white "charge me" plug screen) and it feels great in the hand. From what I have seen from the reviews, it does everything I need and will make me very happy. The only thing I wish it had that it doesn't is the ability to text message through my 1.4.5 Pre. But I'm sure homebrew is already working on this.
    Global Posts
    159 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zyphlin View Post
    I could forgive having specs that are comparable to last years models and looks chubby compared to this years.

I could forgive the feeling of relatively cheap production and a glossy plastic back.

I could forgive the lack of video out.

I could forgive slow downs in the OS.

I could forgive the lack of apps, and of big apps like netflix.

I could forgive stupid OS omissions like non-threaded email or not having a camera app.

I could forgive a lack of a rear camera.

I could forgive the loss of a gesture centric OS environment.

I could forgive the lack of memory expansion.

I could forgive the lack of polish in an OS like having an easy way to select a location of text.

I could forgive obviously important things being omitted with some being "promised" to come later.

I could forgive a price that's higher than last year models tablets that its MORE comparable too and more in line with the most expensive models of this year.

What I can't forgive is all of those things put together, hoping to sell me again on "promise" and "potential" and an amazing OS that is devoid of everything else that goes into the experience.

This thing screams the original Pre launch all over again. I'm still living with the pain of that launch, I have no desire to do it again. I can't forgive that. Maybe next year they actually come out with something that is on par or ahead of THIS YEARS competition, not last.
    I have no problem with "a promise" and my promise to them is that I won't buy their product until it is up to par...