Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Xadion
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    To many of us that bought the Pre- on sprint on day 1 remeber the months that followed? To me it was a good experiance, why?

1) Nothing is ever 100% (apple lies and makes you think its done, a la blizzard lol)
    2) Every OTA update even the small ones that my Pre- got improved it, speed, battery etc etc

I feel it will be the same for the toutchpad- there will most likely be a patch on launch or very shortly after that will resolve large innate problems- then small patches as the weeks go on that improve over all speed, battery etc.

I look forward to getting a TP at launch if I can...aka convince the wife its her idea to get it!
    I think it will get better, because we are starting pretty low. Wish we started like IP-1, pretty solid and with 1500 apps on day one.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    This is something I liked about the ol' Pre-. Everyone loves updates and we got them every other week almost . Sense I can't quite fit it in my budget firmly yet, I will be getting it in a few weeks. Who wants to bet that we would have gotten at least 2 or 3 updates until then?

EDIT: Wow, just noticed the new "Like" Button. Xadion, you should be honored to be the first Liked by the notorious Rennat!
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    Global Posts
    956 Global Posts
    Awsome, I just saw that! thanks! I am truely honoured!

Yeah- that is something I give palm mad props for- whenever people talk smack about WebOS or the Pre launch I ask them

"When was the last time you got updates that gave you MORE features, BETTER batter speed AND BETTER battery - consistantly? with every OS update?" my palm pre!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    This is a great point, and does bring back warm and fuzzies of those first Pre months.

Truth is HP has a lot reputation-wise riding on this, and have made some bold statements. They know what they have, good and bad, and have every reason in the world to try to improve it. The question isn't whether they will try, but whether they will succeed. I am optimistic enough not to be worried.
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    We also have to remember that it takes time to build the devices and then ship them first to HP and then out to all the retailers. The software build these Touchpads ship with is likely at least two months old by the time we get them on launch day yet the developers never stop working on improvements and bug fixes during this time so it is highly likely there is an update with a lot of improvements and bug fixes ready, or nearly ready, to go out the door and more updates already being worked on.
    that isnt exactly true the build that is shipping with the touchpad was just 'finalized' last week
    Yeah, those were fun times. Like waiting on the first Treo. Or the betas of LauncherX, or a new build of datebk. Geez, now here I am again.
    Quote Originally Posted by xadion View Post
    To many of us that bought the Pre- on sprint on day 1 remeber the months that followed? To me it was a good experiance, why?

1) Nothing is ever 100% (apple lies and makes you think its done, a la blizzard lol)
    2) Every OTA update even the small ones that my Pre- got improved it, speed, battery etc etc

I feel it will be the same for the toutchpad- there will most likely be a patch on launch or very shortly after that will resolve large innate problems- then small patches as the weeks go on that improve over all speed, battery etc.

I look forward to getting a TP at launch if I can...aka convince the wife its her idea to get it!
    Yes! That is exactly what I was saying (or trying to say) here:
    http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...ml#post3010324

But this time we already have a strong homebrew crew! This should be fun!!
    Last edited by LocoTreoGurl; 06/30/2011 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Omitted quote on original post
    Honestly, it is that same similarity that has me holding back.

I think the TP2 will be coming within 6-8 months, I can wait for them to apply everything they learned on the TP.
    Palm 1000 > Palm Pro > Palm III > Palm IIIe X 3 > Palm IIIc > Palm TT > HTC Wizard > HTC Blue Angel > Palm TX > Zier 31 > Palm T3 > Palm Pre > FrankenPre 2 > TouchPad/Droid/Ubuntu > TP/ICS
    Global Posts
    77 Global Posts
    Honestly, it is that same similarity that has me holding back.

I think the TP2 will be coming within 6-8 months, I can wait for them to apply everything they learned on the TP.
    Likewise on waiting. However, none of those Pre- updates ever got the Pre- up to the point where it was a smooth experience. The only good update was the 1GHz kernel. When its not running (after a reboot) I am reminded how much worse things were. We owe the 1GHz kernel "save" to the homebrew guys - not HPalm. I hope beyond hope that HP can smooth the TP out with updates but I too will wait and see how it plays out. I regularly chuck my Pre when it makes me mad (but I chuck it on a couch - or something soft!). I don't want to buy a TP and be upset with it and chuck it too.
    Kilroy was here.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    I do, to me it was a bitter sweet experience. I imagine it was similar to a Maryland Basketball fan watching the news of Len Bias's passing. All that potential, and seemingly going to wait.

That said, I do think you're right in that they'll continue to fix the touch pad. I do think its intelligent for people to look at history. For me, the lesson I took from a day one Pre user is that I should be waiting until next year to buy my first TouchPad. The Pre Plus was what the Pre should've been, a phone actually capable of running the OS smoothly and stably and without an oreo twist.

My hope is that unlike the TouchPad which looks very much to be a 1st gen buggy product, the Pre3 builds upon its predecessors and is polished as a 3rd gen phone should be. I liked a lot about the Pre2 and would've been tempted to pick one up now that my contract is expired if not for the Pre3. If they improve on all the things the Pre3 seems to have going for it, its going to be an excellent phone. If it hits Sprint, I'll likely pick it up and go with the Pre3 and iPad2 until next year when we see hopefully a TouchPad that's specs and polish matches its top of the line price. If it doesn't hit sprint, I think I may finally retire my Pre (Though keep it as a backup, just can't let this thing go) and give Windows Phone a shot off contract until next year.

My hope is history continues itself and that similar to the TP launch being similar to the Pre's launch, that the TP+ equivalent will be similar to the Pre+. That appears to be the time I'll buy in.

I know you probably didnt intend it, but i lol'd while reading this on my pre-