Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By TheKingsEighth
  • 1 Post By hparsons
  1.    #1  
    I recently went to my local Best Buy and finally see that they had a two TouchPad demo units. After reading almost all the reviews I’m left a little bit confused at the performance of their TouchPads. They speak of sluggishness and bugs and slow load times. Maybe the unit I used was “different” but I did not see one bug or hiccup on the TouchPad that I used other than when the stupid demo tried to start up. (If you close it out the demo app will appear as a notification on the top. If you swipe the notification away it automatically starts up again causing some slowness.) It was fast, responsive, and downright awesome. The calendar app opened quickly and I was able to scroll through the dummy entries on it. The photo app also loaded in a few seconds and I was able to go through the pictures that came pre-loaded. The unit had two video trailers loaded on it and I watched one of them. Even in the glare of all the lights at Best Buy the screen looked great.

The web browser was also amazing. Thankfully the store had a great WiFi signal and the web pages loaded very fast. I loaded YouTube and several other flash heavy sites with videos and did not experience any sluggish performance. When on YouTube you can select the HD level and expand it to full screen mode which also looks fantastic. After messing with the web browser I then looked at the Music app and played the music that came pre-loaded. Wow was I surprised. The audio on this thing is crazy. As soon as I played it many people that were meandering around the computer section looked over at me. One person came by and said “man that things sounds great.” I can totally see myself using this as a straight up music player around the house. I did try and pair my Evo to the TouchPad via Bluetooth but no such luck. I did notice that it could pick up a lot of the MacBooks and some sort of DHDTV device. Not sure what that was.

Thankfully there was not a lot of people around the tablet section and I was able to go back and forth between Galaxt Tab 10.1 and the TouchPad. Each time I came back to the TouchPad I just loved webOS even more and the feel and heft of the TouchPad in my hands. Both tablets have the plastic feel to them but the TouchPad still was more favorable in terms of feel. As I like to say it had that “this is a real piece of technology” feel. One thing I did notice about the screens was that the TouchPad had a rubber lining all the way around to prevent dust and debris from entering underneath and to prevent screen separation. The Galaxy tab did not have this and already I could see a bit of the demo Tab’s screen popping up.

With that said I left Best Buy extremely happy and decided to keep my order of the TouchPad on Amazon. From a user who has never used a webOS device but entered in the smartphone race with an android powered Evo, webOS is what is going to make this tablet sell. I have no need for all the widgets and useless apps that crowd most people’s android screens. I like knowing, and seeing, what apps are running and then also knowing when the apps are closed. Granted I did not have all of the applications that most of the reviewers out there got to play with. What I did find was that this is an amazing tablet and throughout most of the time playing with it, left all of the cards open at once. The reviews have surprised me in that they have experienced slowness and a lot of waiting. I am left bewildered as the unit I got to experience was amazing.
    Rnp, iverieli and anon(679606) like this.
    Glad you liked it. I know I am going to like it.
    I can only surmise that using it for hours a day for like a week, you would run into the problems they did.
    cool cant wait!!
    In WebOS any program can bea 'widget' by simply upswiping and going to card view. Whenever I show card view to an Android user they respond with 'I can do that too...see?' when they are really just cycling through their different desktops (ie a fancy app launcher). Where is the super-amazing functionality in that I ask you?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
  6.    #6  
    Yes but I think where webOS will succeed is in the simplicity of it all. Just type is great and I personally don't want a sea of icons all over the place.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheKingsEighth View Post
    Yes but I think where webOS will succeed is in the simplicity of it all. Just type is great and I personally don't want a sea of icons all over the place.
    That what we all hoped for most webOS devices. We all agree the OS is, by and large, best mobile OS.

Unfortunately, there are more to OS a buyer cares. And we all know how pre did.

Maybe touchpad will be different, but so far, its missing the mark, considering the price it is asking.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Maybe touchpad will be different, but so far, its missing the mark, considering the price it is asking.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    How can it be "missing the mark" when it hasn't been released yet.

I know, I know, it's because the trolls want it to, they've declared it has, therefore it must be so.
    JayhawkOne likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Beanis View Post
    I can only surmise that using it for hours a day for like a week, you would run into the problems they did.
    i havent come across a device where this isn't the case. my new ipod touch crashed while using safari an hour after I started the thing up. My Epic 4g is constantly crashing, lagging throught the homescreens, or failing to launch apps, or force closing them. but i don't see these devices getting the same type of backlash.

on a related note, when I went to best buy i went back in forth between the ipad2 the touchpad and the xoom. the touchpad and the xoom where actually faster at loading apps, the ipad2 just loaded the splash screen faster. But the ipad always seems to get the nod for speed.

if the critics' stance is occasional performance drops are only acceptable if you have hundreds of thousands of apps, then they should just say that! But dont lead on that WebOS itself can't hang with the big boys.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    In WebOS any program can bea 'widget' by simply upswiping and going to card view. Whenever I show card view to an Android user they respond with 'I can do that too...see?' when they are really just cycling through their different desktops (ie a fancy app launcher). Where is the super-amazing functionality in that I ask you?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    No..just no.

EDIT: Your better argument here would be that the notification bar are like widgets which is more accurate (but still not the same) than your cards are widgets.
    Last edited by Brain Mantis; 06/30/2011 at 02:53 PM.
    Agggrh you americans are lucky to getting your touchpad's tomorrow or next day, some got it already, and I have to wait it until next wednesday. Can't wait.
    well now that I read that ↑↑ I have an appetite to open my touchpad tomorrow...