Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Trust me, I learned about beats loooong before P|C posted that video. Thanks for assuming though.

It goes for beats audio everywhere.

It's called beats for a reason, and its definitely not because it has a 2W amp. >.>
    It's not like Monster Cable have decades of speaker making or headphone making experience.

The audio chipset maker will tell OEM/ODM how best to wire their products. The headphone jack parts maker will tell OEM/ODM how best to wire their products.

Hell, Samsung makes stereos and tv's with speakers --- larger market share than Sony for LCD tv's. You don't think that Samsung can read the Wolfson spec book that tells them not to put this wire next to that wire because of signal interference???
    Trust me, I learned about beats loooong before P|C posted that video. Thanks for assuming though.

It goes for beats audio everywhere.

It's called beats for a reason, and its definitely not because it has a 2W amp. >.>
    It's like trying to explain to someone who drinks Korbel all day long why people pay so much for a Chateau Lafite Rothschild...

I am glad HP made the effort to include the tech in their product line. I love my (2003) ipod, but i can tell the difference when i hear the same music from my pro audio card... But most people will not care and this is sad.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jahjahlove View Post
    It's like trying to explain to someone who drinks Korbel all day long why people pay so much for a Chateau Lafite Rothschild...

I am glad HP made the effort to include the tech in their product line. I love my (2003) ipod, but i can tell the difference when i hear the same music from my pro audio card... But most people will not care and this is sad.
    Korbel has been served at the last 6 US Presidential inaugurations.

Of course your ipod sound is bad --- Apple delibrately crippled the signal so that you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a digital ipod dock.

Wadia Digital 170iTransport digital iPod dock | Stereophile.com

Plenty of audiophiles make their own chip amps --- with the same chip amplifier components that Harman Kardon uses in amplifiers that cost thousands of dollars. If you can read the spec sheet, you can make it happen.
    So what? I don't buy Samsung speakers, I buy Onkyo receivers and Polk speakers.

I don't buy monster cable, I buy 12/14ga wire off monoprice.com.

I don't listen to 3.5mm jacks, because 99% of the time they sound like complete crap. I listen to digital audio.

With Beats, I don't have to worry about crappy audio coming out of whatever device I'm trying to play music from.

Call it a gimmick, call it whatever the 'h' you want. It's not a bad thing. It can only be a good thing.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    So what? I don't buy Samsung speakers, I buy Onkyo receivers and Polk speakers.

I don't buy monster cable, I buy 12/14ga wire off monoprice.com.

I don't listen to 3.5mm jacks, because 99% of the time they sound like complete crap. I listen to digital audio.

With Beats, I don't have to worry about crappy audio coming out of whatever device I'm trying to play music from.

Call it a gimmick, call it whatever the 'h' you want. It's not a bad thing. It can only be a good thing.
    Well, Samsung has more experience making headphones and speakers than Monster Cable.

Take apart your onkyo amplifier and there are going to be a bunch of amplifier chips --- probably the same amplifier chips that plenty of diy audiophiles use in their diy chip amp projects.

You don't have to worry about crappy audio --- if you just take a look at the teardown photos of the TouchPad and the Playbook. Same audio chip manufacturer --- with the TouchPad having more amp power and a dynamic range compression hardware feature.

Unless you are telling me that the only way for HP to make a Beats Audio signal isolation feature is to make the TouchPad almost 1/3 thicker than the ipad. That's it then.
    What you are getting with Beats Audio is an assurance that the manufacturer has devoted some attention to optimising the audio signal processing and pathway. I doubt very much whether many computer/phone manufacturers are that fussed about how the audio sounds. I am pleased that HP think that it is worth a bit of effort.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    Korbel has been served at the last 6 US Presidential inaugurations.

Of course your ipod sound is bad --- Apple delibrately crippled the signal so that you have to pay hundreds of dollars for a digital ipod dock.

Wadia Digital 170iTransport digital iPod dock | Stereophile.com

Plenty of audiophiles make their own chip amps --- with the same chip amplifier components that Harman Kardon uses in amplifiers that cost thousands of dollars. If you can read the spec sheet, you can make it happen.
    Personally, when the tax payers try very hard to be on time every april 15th, i LOVE when US presidents drink Korbel instead of expensive wine. Diet kola Champagne would be fine too. My point : Korbel is fine and i am sure a great company because they saved me more than once at every birthday party and Xmax seasons...

I just wish people would know and spend some time learning why musicians spent so much time and money for their art. A private company (that sells servers en masse and some cool laptops) decided to say "Hey! listen..... and enjoy the silence..."
    By any chance did beats audio in HP laptops start when Rahul Sood was influencing the design? When HP laptops still had Voodoo DNA? He was pretty serious about good design and quality.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    What you are getting with Beats Audio is an assurance that the manufacturer has devoted some attention to optimising the audio signal processing and pathway. I doubt very much whether many computer/phone manufacturers are that fussed about how the audio sounds. I am pleased that HP think that it is worth a bit of effort.
    Yes and no.

You are correct to say that it's like a quality assurance thing.

But we are also not talking about the PC market where you either use whatever cheap ac97 chip (often realtek) that is integrated into a tiny corner in the motherboard chipset (say SIS) or you have an expensive individual sound card that you plugged into the PCI-E slot. The sound quality between these two are quite large --- but of course the cost difference between the two options are quite large as well.

It's not like HP spending $10 for the audio chip and speakers parts while the rest of the tablet makers spending $2 for the audio chip and speakers parts.
    It's not like HP spending $10 for the audio chip and speakers parts while the rest of the tablet makers spending $2 for the audio chip and speakers parts.
    None of us knows that. But at least we can be reasonable sure that HP has put some effort into the quality of the audio reproduction.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    None of us knows that. But at least we can be reasonable sure that HP has put some effort into the quality of the audio reproduction.
    It's a low margin business. Money would be better spent on other parts of the TouchPad --- like a second camera or for god's sake, pay the HDMI organization that 5 cent in licensing fee so that the TouchPad can have a HDMI video out.
    Check this Beats Audio review comparing the TouchPad against the Pre2 and HTC Evo 4G
    Is Beats Audio a gimmick on the TouchPad? TreoRock's Blog
    Actually that's pretty much exactly what it is, along with other things. Your numbers may be off a bit though.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Actually that's pretty much exactly what it is, along with other things. Your numbers may be off a bit though.
    Then I think it's money not well spent.

As I said it earlier, it almost always comes down to hardware manufacturers not willing to pay that extra 5 cents in HDMI licensing fee to get HDMI output. All the chipsets --- whether they be Qualcomm, TI, nVidia... they all have HDMI output in their chips. All you have to do is pay the HDMI licensing fee.
  15.    #35  
    After all this... I can answer my own question.

I tried both Beats AND Klipsch with the Beats system setting turned on. It does not seem to make a difference. The Klipsch sounded better in my opinion.
    Just thought I'd add my experiences here..

After spending half an hour listening to a variety of music between the touchpad and my ipod nano touch (which i know doesn't have the best sound quality) there is definitely a huge difference. Whether that is "beats audio" I don't think is even a concern, at the end of the day, there is a noticeable sound quality difference and the audio from the touchpad sounds much thicker, fuller, and cleaner.

Tested using a pair of SHURE in-ear headphones.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Ever heard of ear fatigue? Anyone?

18. jetboat@comcast.net
    Ruby also tried to 'click his magic slippers to get things back to Kansas but ended up in a pile od *****!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12