Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree11Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    PS. I contacted CORNING for an answer, hopefully solve the question once and for all.
    LOL good thinking...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    HP is just being smart. If they advertise that it is 'Gorilla Glass' too much, they are committed to always using Gorilla Glass.

If they simply put it in a few advertisements and discussions, with the small print 'specifications may change' if Corning bumps up the price, they can go with another manufacturer.

If it is in hard specifications that they send out to manufacturers, or on cornings 'it has gorilla glass' list, then they have a stronger commitment and less leverage with the supplier on price.

As a previous poster said, I don't care what type of glass is as long as it does not scratch.
    Well my pre2 now has a couple small scratches. Gorilla glass my ......
    Gorilla glass is not SCRATCH PROOF. You can take a drill or dremel to the screen and it will scratch all to hell. I saw a youtube video of someone demonstrating a screen guard for an iphone4. The unprotected part of the screen was scratched up, the one with the screen guard kept the screen from any scratches. Gorilla glass or not, just put a decent screen protector on it and forget aobut it.
    paging dr b likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    Well my pre2 now has a couple small scratches. Gorilla glass my ......
    The mistake people make is gorilla glass is stratch resistant, not stratch proof. Big difference.

EVO-LUTION 3D
    Well, yeah, but how often are you going to take a drill or dremel to your tablet?

I hate screen protectors because they inherently alter the feel of the glass. That's why I like strengthened glass (Gorilla or otherwise). It's strong enough to resist scratches caused by daily use and you don't have to slap something on it that creates more drag or resistance.
    sledge007 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, yeah, but how often are you going to take a drill or dremel to your tablet?

I hate screen protectors because they inherently alter the feel of the glass. That's why I like strengthened glass (Gorilla or otherwise). It's strong enough to resist scratches caused by daily use and you don't have to slap something on it that creates more drag or resistance.
    It's definitely a trade off. Guaranteed scratch proof with screen guard vs smoother higher sensitivity without one.
    So far, so good with no screen protector (knock-on-wood). I've had mine in a case since day 1, only had one drop into grass-mud mix from the front seat of my car. Low height, soft ground, case saves the day
    in case anybody is waiting, here is response from Corning,

Good day Cris !

Corning® Gorilla® Glass is featured on hundreds of the world’s coolest smart phones, tablets, and PCs and now the new Sony Bravia TV.

Because of our agreements with customers, we cannot identify all the devices that feature Corning® Gorilla® Glass, so we encourage you to contact the manufacturer of your device. If you would like to know which devices do use Gorilla Glass or learn more about our exciting new product, you can visit our website at CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS.

Thank you for your interest in Corning® Gorilla® Glass.

Regards,
    somebody need to ask HP then.
    lol, next...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    so what is the conclusion?

this issues apparently is still being debated here and there....
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Touchpaddle View Post
    so what is the conclusion?

this issues apparently is still being debated here and there....
    from my experience, no. In the first day I got it I got a 1 inch scratch next to the camera. Never left the house. Have no idea how it go there, but it seems all to easy.

maybe some units have and others dont ?
    Its obviously a plus feature that I don't know why HP would hide it if its true.

But its meaningless now since its no longer a question a new buyer will ask. Because there is not many new buyers now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Its obviously a plus feature that I don't know why HP would hide it if its true.
    The only thing I am thinking is a "licensing" fee to advertise it. Just as corning does not fully list all gorilla glass devices on their web site. Just a thought.
    It doesn't take much to scratch gorilla glass. A piece of sand with scratch it. There's a huge misconception that gorilla glass is some unworldly scratch and shatter proof material. It's just stronger glass, which means that it's like Glass 2.0 . Either way it's still glass, and glass is delicate. Be careful with a screen protector though. Our touchscreens aren't that responsive to begin with, and adding that extra film could make it even less so.
    mikeiniowa likes this.

But its meaningless now since its no longer a question a new buyer will ask. Because there is not many new buyers now.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    The only thing I am thinking is a "licensing" fee to advertise it. Just as corning does not fully list all gorilla glass devices on their web site. Just a thought.
    I hear Apple doesn't advertise it as they use different vendors and don't want to be locked into one. Unless you had some set discounting from Corning then might not want to lose that leverage.
    i found this link, maybe or maybe not will put a close on the gorilla glass issue, but it states here it does. Video review: HP Touchpad - Ready for launch! - Inspect-a-Gadget

also found this link from cnet that says it has gorilla glass. take it for what its worth. 2 reputable sites say it has, i have a phone that i know has it and the feel is similar. heres the cnet link... HP TouchPad User Reviews (16GB) - Tablets - CNET Reviews
    Last edited by cheech004; 09/28/2011 at 08:14 PM.
    dectech likes this.
    Hi from nova scotia,
    acording to an HP response on the HP Support Forum pertianing to tpype of stylus and external memory....

HP TouchPad - HP Support Forum
    "07-04-2011 07:41 PM Joanne,
    The HP TouchPad DOES NOT support memory cards or sticks. As of its launch date (July 1, 2011) it comes in two variations: 16 GB and 32 GB WiFi only. You do not need to use a stylus with the TouchPad, its screen is extremely responsive to touch. The screen is also chemically treated "Gorilla Glass" and so is also very scratch resistant"
    In terms of external memory I have not yet made an adapter by using a male micro usb with pins 4 and 5 joined and attaching a standard USB female on the other end. I understand that a powered usb hub would be needed for a portable hdd.

Cornings Gorilla glass is HIGHLY scratch resistant NOT non-scratchable, so I use protection as I doubt I will ever be able to buy this piece of G glass that lies on top of the touch screen though nearly all compnents are"off the shelf"
    Oh dont let me forget the "oleophobic" query. if the oily fingerprints do not penitrate , or exchange fluids it should be oleophobic and thus no protection would be needed on the backside.

hp touchpad @ 1.7GHz
    Thinkpad Edge E425 @1.9GHz
    Thinkpad T60 @ 2.0 GHz
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234