Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
    I don't care if it's Gorilla Glass, Orangutan Glass or even Rhesus Monkey Glass if it's just as scratch resistant.

It could be Planet-of-the-Apes Glass and it'd still shatter like a young child's dreams once you let it drop to a concrete or stone floor (the glass, not the young child).
    Quote Originally Posted by waiting4_OTA View Post
    go to gorilla glass website, HP touchpad does not appear on their tablet product list
    so its a no?

Interesting if you look at touchpad surface from a low angle, you can see pre-like small, white, tiny dots grids. Does that play a role in decising what coating/surface touchpad can use?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Interesting if you look at touchpad surface from a low angle, you can see pre-like small, white, tiny dots grids. Does that play a role in decising what coating/surface touchpad can use?
    Aren't those part of the capacitive digitizer?
    Global Posts
    799 Global Posts
    Yes, and interestingly, they are not the same spacing as on my Pre-

(Fun facts to know and tell)
    No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced
    Global Posts
    97 Global Posts
    I seem to recall a few of the questions from HP's Launchline Facebook app like the one that asked, "What's Gorilla Glass?" The correct answer was something like, "Hardened glass used in the HP TouchPad to prevent cracks and scratches."
    It seems like the same stuff that is on my Pre2 and that thing doesn't have a single scratch on it. It's months old and I'm not all that nice to it. If I wipe the screen with a rag is looks like brand new.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Aren't those part of the capacitive digitizer?
    i have only seen that on webOS line of products.
    i have only seen that on webOS line of products.
    IIRC this is because it is a different tech than used by other manufacturers, but not specific to it being capacitive or gorilla glass.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    so its a no?

I dunno why but these dots always bother me down to the PRE. I'm surprised they decided to go with the same design for the bigger touchpad. Most other touch phones/pads I have used have no visible grid, only PALM products. At an angle, they are VERY hard to miss and rather annoying.

Plus I don't think it has Gorilla glass, probably a different coating.

CORNING® GORILLA® GLASS | FULL PRODUCTS LIST
    I heard it has gorilla glass. I just put a cheap 5 dollar screen protector on anyways. Can't hurt.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    I dunno why but these dots always bother me down to the PRE. I'm surprised they decided to go with the same design for the bigger touchpad. Most other touch phones/pads I have used have no visible grid, only PALM products. At an angle, they are VERY hard to miss and rather annoying.

I thought Pre2 and Veer were gorilla glass... they aren't listed on their either.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Thats not an all inclusive list.

another benefit of a screen protector, you won't see the grid after putting on one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    Thats not an all inclusive list.
    Still, I don't see any evidence suggesting Pre2/Pre3/TP has gorilla glass, hp website makes no mention of it on any of the phone/tabs, not that its the most important thing tho.
    I dunno why but these dots always bother me down to the PRE. I'm surprised they decided to go with the same design for the bigger touchpad. Most other touch phones/pads I have used have no visible grid, only PALM products. At an angle, they are VERY hard to miss and rather annoying.[/url]
    So when you're holding your TouchPad at a weird angle specifically so you can see the dots, you can see them? And you hold it at that specific angle because seeing them annoys you?

Are you quite alright?

Also, I'm 99% sure I've seen a similar grid on my friend's Galaxy S. Maybe you're not holding other products at that exact angle that you seem to have a love/hate relationship with.
    Funny thing is every article about Veer mentions gorilla glass. I also found an article that said HP said the TP had gorilla glass. Didn't find anything directly from HP yet though.

I could still the the dots on my Pre screen with screen protector in the sun.
    Also, I'm 99% sure I've seen a similar grid on my friend's Galaxy S. Maybe you're not holding other products at that exact angle that you seem to have a love/hate relationship with.
    my friend has a captivate ( a galaxy s variate), i didn't see any dots.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Funny thing is every article about Veer mentions gorilla glass. I also found an article that said HP said the TP had gorilla glass. Didn't find anything directly from HP yet though.

I could still the the dots on my Pre screen with screen protector in the sun.
    precentral also mentioned veer's screen is curved....lol

I don't know, are we all making a big assumptions here? just because its glass?
    So when you're holding your TouchPad at a weird angle specifically so you can see the dots, you can see them? And you hold it at that specific angle because seeing them annoys you?

Are you quite alright?

I wouldn't intentionally hold it like that. It just that at times they pop out.

No other phone I've seen has this grid/matrix.

I can only assume it has something to do with the gestures area/rest of the glass all being one piece.
    I can verify a slight curve...
    I wouldn't intentionally hold it like that. It just that at times they pop out.

No other phone I've seen has this grid/matrix.

I can only assume it has something to do with the gestures area/rest of the glass all being one piece.
    i think they did this with Pre because they want to implement multi-touch gestures (pinch zoom, etc), but apple got a lame patent for a certain implementation method, so they went with this route.

PS. I contacted CORNING for an answer, hopefully solve the question once and for all.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast