Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By fxspec06
  • 4 Post By hparsons
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    OK, So I'm not trolling or an iFanboy.

I currently have an iPhone 4 & iPad 2. when I saw the announcement for the touchpad I was really excited. They way it interacts with the Pre 3 is awesome. I have had a Pre and Pre 2 but switched back to my iPhone due to lack of apps.

I REALLY love WebOS and would LOVE to switch to a Pre 3 and Touchpad, but I'm just afraid they are not going to have the apps I use on a regular basis.

Just to name a few: NetFlix, HBO Go, Zinio, Chase Banking, iStockManager (Ameritrade App).

If I need to edit a document, I use Pages, Numers or Keynote which lets me play with both mac and office files, the Touchpad doesn't even have a doc editing solution as of launch does it?

I mean The Touchpad is thicker then an iPad 2, and has less Apps, So what am I really gaining?

I'm in love with the look and feel of WebOS, and honestly bored with iOS but I would really be loosing functionality buy switching wouldn't I?

-Gromet
    Last edited by grometnj; 06/30/2011 at 08:21 AM.
    Check back in a month or two see how it develops.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by grometnj View Post
    I mean The Touchpad is thicker then an iPad 2, and has less Apps, So what am I really gaining?
    - The best fanbase of any device ever (we are superfans)
    - Not having to deal with locked down iDevices
    - Not having to deal with Apple fans
    - A great website (P|C)
    - A super awesome dev team & homebrew community
    - Patches & homebrew app support out of the box
    - The greatest mobile OS ever made
    - Best mobile multitasking ever
    - Best synchronization of multiple accounts all over the internet, ever
    - Upgradable anything in the OS, ask and (chances are) ye shall receive (refer to homebrew)

- *The most fun to own device you've ever had or could ever dream of, ever

Just get it, there's no chance that this community will just sit and let this thing die. I promise you will not be disappointed after 30 days. I used iThings for 10 years and got a Pre and never been happier. /trueStory
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

thejasonhowell likes this.
    I'm in love with the look and feel of WebOS, and honestly bored with iOS but I would really be loosing functionality buy switching wouldn't I?

-Gromet
    Yes, you would be losing functionality by switching from a tablet system that's been on the market for almost two years and has specific apps you need, to one that will have been on the market for a day and doesn't have those apps.

If you have specific needs, wait for the TouchPad to fill those needs. If it doesn't, and something else does, buy that. If nothing else fulfills those needs, keep what you've got.

There, confision all cleared up.
    TP is like the girl who you fight with all the time but also has a great connection. Really happy at times and really frustrated other times.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    TP is like the girl who you fight with all the time but also has a great connection. Really happy at times and really frustrated other times.
    TP is like the girl that's extremely cute, but has enough physical problems that noone else wants her. She's slow at times, not very bright, and doesn't make a lot of money, but she's wonderful to be around and always tries her best to make you happy.

*fixed
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

its a first gen device for hp.

second gen will prob have specs that are more competitive.

webos 3.0 will be hot off the press and I suspect is a complete rewrite of entire os for enyo - so likely a webos 3.1 or something will fix some of the complaints re missing calc clock apps and will be better performance tuned.
    am I still getting one? You bet.

will I upgrade to second gen device when its out i.e. Touchpad 2 - yep
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    OK,

So this is why i'm confused... If the iPad2 has ALL the apps you would want or need, is thinner, lighter, more functionality, better ecosystem, jailbreak community = Homebrew to me, Multitasking, etc.. What does the Touchpad have that would pull someone away from an iPad?

-Gromet
    OK,

So this is why i'm confused... If the iPad2 has ALL the apps you would want or need, is thinner, lighter, more functionality, better ecosystem, jailbreak community = Homebrew to me, Multitasking, etc.. What does the Touchpad have that would pull someone away from an iPad?

-Gromet
    easy, it just fulfills their needs better than the iPad.

example: Synergy. I wouldn't want to have different apps for all my "synergy" accounts just so they are all in one device, accessing them is faster with built in synergy.

Multitasking: I don't want to jailbreak my ipad just so I can have some sort of multitasking (tho iOS5 seems like an answer)

Keyboard. Since the TP has multiple sized keyboards, it is easier for typing those long emails or articles and such.

and the list goes on and on.

Hope you get what I mean. Really the question you should be asking is which tablet can make tasks easier for you and fulfills your needs.

HTH
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    OK,

-Gromet
    I'm confused why you are confused. Nobody cares if you like the Touchpad, and most certainly not interested in justifying the purchase of one over the other. You're an adult, make your own decision.
    Global Posts
    113 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by YoMamma View Post
    I'm confused why you are confused. Nobody cares if you like the Touchpad, and most certainly not interested in justifying the purchase of one over the other. You're an adult, make your own decision.
    Wow, Don't be such a <<mod delete>>. It's a valid question. Why would one choose device that lacks in many areas over a device that excels in all the same areas and is the same price?

I never asked anyone to care if I like the touchpad or iPad.

Gromet
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/30/2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: language and attitude
    OK,

-Gromet
    I don't think the TouchPad is going to pull many folks away from an iPad. I don't think that's HP's target market. Anyone who can afford a TouchPad can also affored an iPad - but they haven't bought one for whatever reason. That is the market the TouchPad is really directed at.

So, to your specifics:
    Better Ecosystem Thats a very subjective term. I personally wouldn't call the ecosystem, because I have no desire to be tied to iTunes or a computer.
    Jailbreak community Sorry, but that community may be equal to Homebrew to you, but objectively speaking, it's not. Jailbreaking your Apple device voids the warranty and is a violation of your license agreement. The same is not true of Homebrew. Homebrew is actively supported by HP. The same is not true of the Apple Jailbreaking community.

As far as advantage/features, synergy is great. So is an OS that's built for multitasking from the ground up. I could go on, but that list has been hashed and rehashed, and there's no point in creating another iPad vs TouchPad discussion.

Let's just say HP believes it's a large market, with room for multiple players. I don't think they're going to loose sleep over not converting every iPad owner to a TouchPad owner.
    "Why would one choose device that lacks in many areas over a device that excels in all the same areas and is the same price?"

You've been a member of this community since July 2009 and you have to ask that question?

"OK, So I'm not trolling or an iFanboy." Right.
    For your reference.

Some reasons that might work for you.

Seems like you are set for an iPad. Great! you found a device for you. If you are asking for justification to buy the touchpad then I don't think the touchpad is for you! Simple
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
    If the iPad is so much better in so many areas, why buy the Touchpad? And why post it here? I mean, in your opinion, the iPad excels in all areas, so there is no question possible.

Not trolling? not sure...
    Newness Developments apps:

Wow, Don't be such a <<mod delete>>. It's a valid question. Why would one choose device that lacks in many areas over a device that excels in all the same areas and is the same price?
    Exactly. Now you get it!
    Why would anyone buy an iPad when the TouchPad does multi-tasking so much better?
    Why would anyone buy an iPad when the TouchPad has HP supported HomeBrew?
    Why would anyone buy an iPad when the TouchPad has synergy?

I hope you see my point.
    Really? Where is the IPad2 jailbreak 3 months after the release?

What I am confused is besides being thinner, lighter, what would make someone upgrade to an IPad2 from an IPad1? If you have a jail-broken IPad1 and intend to keep it around, I think it's a no-brainer you would pick TouchPad over IPad2 for a new tablet.
    I'm glad we've moved from 'confision' to 'confusion'...much less radiation to deal with.
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!