Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes
  1.    #1  
    Well, I am sure I am going to get some heat from this post, but the 'rage' targeted at some of the reviewers over the last 12 hours is really unwarranted.

I have read the reviews on Pre-Central, Thisismynext, Cnet, Engadget, Laptopmag, Wall Street Journal, Pogue, and BGR. They all have a common theme. This is a v1 product with a lot of promise, but sad to say, it is releasing as a product that will not be able to compete with others out of the box due to some of the shortcomings.

People on this site seem to be outraged that it is being compared against the Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad 2, etc... Why shouldnt it be? Should it be compared against last years products? No. It should be compared against the products that are currently on the market and sitting on the same shelf space, because those are the decisions the consumer will need to make.

So, all the reviewers have a common theme as I was saying. WebOS is great and tablet ready, however it has a Lack of apps, check. Slow down on occasion, check. Lack of rear facing camera, check. Sluggish performance, check. BUT.... It WILL get better and supposedly HP has confirmed an update to fix many of these shortcomings.

Should a 1.2Ghz dual core monster that has a bigger processor than anything on the market also be the one with the most slowdown and lag (again going by what I am reading)? No, it should not. It should be really, really, fast.

Should the latest and greatest tablet to hit the market be heavier and thicker than all of the current products? Again, no, I do not believe it should.

Again, I understand this is a Version 1 product and it will get better over time, but in order to compete in todays fast moving technology market, a version 1 product will need to compete with version 2 and 3 of current products that are vying for the consumer dollar.

These reviewers present valid points. Stop blaming the reviewers for calling like it is and understand that if/when you buy this product, it has some issues out of the box, accept them, and enjoy the tablet for what it is and especially what it will be.

OK, I am done with my soap box. I will say that I am without question getting my new Touchpad tomorrow. I understand the shortcomings and will hope it gets better with age, as they all seem to.

I also own an iPad 2 and a Galaxy Tab 10.1. I use and like them both. None of them are perfect, but they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I appreciate technology and what each company is trying to do with their own product.
    <<Title modified>>
    fxspec06 likes this.
  3.    #3  
    Thats fine...

I have been around these forums for 10 years. I am only trying to present a realistic view from what I have seen. I you feel like I am baiting, have it deleted. Just presenting my view.
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for changing the title : )
    My one beef is how thick and chunky it is, given how much time they've had to eyeball the competition and see what they were up against. Even Samsung had the good sense to go back to the drawing board and slim down the Galaxy Tab 10.1 when they saw what they were up against in the iPad 2. Just no excuse for the beefiness.
    What's the use of dual 1.2ghz cpu if the software doesn't seem to be taking advantage of all that horsepower? It's just weird how apps still take time to launch.
    They are pushing these as business tools, yet no document editing out the box, no way to connect to projectors ala vga/hdmi/proprietary adapter e.t.c. I had such high hopes...
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yeah, i dont see many people offended.... maybe some wat disappointed as i was about doc editing. but its cool i can work around it. i seen reviews and derek's was excellent as he was able to break it down app by app. from what i see its a very workable os that still needs a bit of polish.

but i love the way webos works and i can put up with its quirks more so than, i can with androids confusing broken system. now there are honeycomb and androind tablets, i dont even know what apps will work where. and i just dont like ios interface. i bought my mom and ipad2 and though nice i didnt like how the system worked.
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    You are 100% right.

Though I wish they also cover some aspects of Webos which works like nothing else with same enthusiasm as they critic the hardware. Sometimes those things matter, at least for me. Some prefer hardware greatness and some prefer software. I use pre2 over Iphone4 even though I have both(gave my iphone4 to my wife) as nothing come close to webos. Maybe just personal preference.
    Global Posts
    387 Global Posts
    I agree with you. I will also be getting a TP tomorrow. I still have my v1 palm pre and it works great for MY needs. The TP will also work for MY needs. I dont need the thinnest lightest tablet. (a few mm thicker?? thats fine) I dont need a rear camera. I could count on one hand the number of apps Ive downloaded on my pre, so that isnt a problem (for me). So for ME, the TP will be fine! oh... and what was your original Title??
    Tasdad, kchan283 and dajlol77 like this.
    It doesnt take much to look at all of the reviews and pay attention to the videos they post, versus only their written analysis, to see a common theme:

This was not a "perfect product" release in any regard.

The UI was generally smooth, and fast in card view, but, very buggy when using apps, for example:

Engadget tried to load up Quickoffice (obvioiusly, only the uneidtable version), and, it just hung.. so badly that the reviewer, who really didnt want to draw attention to it, just opened up a game, and when he was done with that, Quickoffice Still hadn't loaded.. the card was in the same state as minutes before...

On other reviewer's videos, you could see the TP rotating its screen on its own, out of control.

I could go on, but, these are real bugs that exist, and the videos are proof.

Whomever greenlighted this for release should be held accountable for this; its not just embarrasing for HP, but, honestly, its a slap in the face to WebOS in general, given LA's "not releasing anything less than perfect" statement, it implies that either this is his definition of "perfect" or, that this is the best any WebOS tablet can do.

The end result of these evaluation units being in reviewer's hands is that its gonna get bad press at the onset, and that the consumer who does buy it despite that press has a much higher chance of being disillusioned with WebOS.. and once that happens to a consumer, they become jaded and usually take a long time to come back to that product, if ever.

Sigh...

Engadget, This Is My Next, etc and various other reviewers indicated that they spoke with HP/JR, etc, and that every bug they identified was known and will be directly addressed with an OTA update soon after release.

Fine, I can accept that, however, the question I am asking now is, why let the device out like this in the first place - do they NOT understand the PRPRPR $damage$ $that$ $this$ $has$ $done$ - $and$ $how$ $the$ $momentum$ $they$ $had$ $going$ $is$ $now$ $pretty$ $much$ $lost$?

I am a true WebOS fan.. I can honestly say, without a doubt, that there is NO smartphone on the market today I'd rather have than my unlocked ATT Pre+, which I use on T-Mobile (so I dont get 3G). Its an amazing OS that has huge potential and incredibly usability, and I was really, REALLY hoping for HP to do right with the TP, which would then follow through into the Pre 3 and all future WebOS smartphones...

But, fan that I am, I still havent lost my objectivity: this has proven to be a disaster, and the product isnt even formally released... even if the forthcoming update does arrive, and solve every issue and makes the device incredible, those initial reviews are out there, and that damage has been done, big time, to the whole WebOS ecosystem.

I'm beginning to wonder if HP is too "corporate" to handle true innovation correctly.

IMO, do NOT punish the reviewers for their words - I truly believe that most of them wanted to praise this device - it had all the right mojo going for it )and being a true altnerative to the iPad would be a great thing for each of them to write about).

Even our own Derek Kessler, try as he might, couldnt overlook the glaring issues that he dealt with when writing - its a good thing HE didn't post a video of the device and its issues.

Im sure the pending OTA update will solve most of the issues - however, this was the worst release of a new an dpromising product I have ever witnessed.

Last edited by LCGuy; 06/30/2011 at 07:26 AM.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

I guess webOS fanatics like me have a hard time wondering why the #1 tablet comes from Apple in their iPad 2 with so many shortcomings.

IPad 2 had just as many problems as the TouchPad, but they had No Competition and people would say...Apple will fix it with a software update and on the iPad 3.

Apple users are willing to live with failure as long as their using Apple products. IOS 4 made some significant improvements, but it still has a long way to go when it comes to Multitasking, Notifications, etc.

HP won't gain new customers till these shortcomings are fixed. I personally loved what I saw and finally used yesterday. Actually what's even more exciting is the HP Veer and its SMOOTH slidder and fast interface. The Touchpad has to be perfect to gain eye share from these so called "maybe" sheeple and get new users to say "hmm, that's interesting, oh I like that, and look it has Netflix!"

HP can overcome many of these problems and needs too quickly if they want significant marketshare. This is a great start, fix the OS hang-ups referenced by Walt Mossberg and Josh Topolsky, and bring or pay for the major apps to help open the floodgate.

Still deciding on 16gb or 32gb personally and where to buy it local. So many options and so little money. Sorli...
    kchan283 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    My one beef is how thick and chunky it is, given how much time they've had to eyeball the competition and see what they were up against. Even Samsung had the good sense to go back to the drawing board and slim down the Galaxy Tab 10.1 when they saw what they were up against in the iPad 2. Just no excuse for the beefiness.
    What's the use of dual 1.2ghz cpu if the software doesn't seem to be taking advantage of all that horsepower? It's just weird how apps still take time to launch.
    They are pushing these as business tools, yet no document editing out the box, no way to connect to projectors ala vga/hdmi/proprietary adapter e.t.c. I had such high hopes...
    The size was my least problem...thankfully BB had them all side by side and the TouchPad felt better in hand then either the Galaxy Tab and iPad 2, but then this is just my opinion.

Software needs some polish and things need
    some major adjustments, but I'll still get one and will look forward to future fixes and updates. Sorli...
    All people need to understand, is that those reviews are for general buyers, not webOS heads here.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    fxspec06 and TheMarco like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeworks View Post
    Thats fine...

I have been around these forums for 10 years. I am only trying to present a realistic view from what I have seen. I you feel like I am baiting, have it deleted. Just presenting my view.
    I agree with most what you said. Outsiders will have a tough time migrating to a product that has these fundamental issues (whether they affect the end user experience or not).

I was an outsider this time last year, however, and I made a decision based on the mostly mediocre reviews of both the Pre and the Pixi to get a Pre Plus.. and I've been happy. So it's definitely not impossible to pick up some newbies.

I hope a lot of this negativity will be overshadowed by HP's sheer might and brand name. They are far more recognizable than 'Acer' 'ASUS' and even 'Motorola', in the PC world that is.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

This tablet feels like they started working on it in Jan, showed a protoype in Feb and released it now. Doesnt look like something in works from Aug-Sep as rumored. H/P needs to hire more people pronto. I am afraid, Opal is going to come out with similar problems.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    IOS 4 made some significant improvements, but it still has a long way to go when it comes to Multitasking, Notifications, etc.
    I think this is an issue a lot of WebOS fans don't understand......Could it possibly be that most people just don't consider the style of their multitask system as the most important feature of their device? Both Android and iOS devices multitask fine. (Yes, the WebOS card system is better). Its just not that important to most people.

Same for notifications (though iOS5 notifications are now very good). Lets face it, it comes down to apps, a speedy reliable OS, and a viable ecosystem to purchase apps, music, movies, books, magazines, newspapers, etc.).

There is a lot to like about WebOS. But, HP really needed a near perfect release with the TouchPad and I think they missed. Even if they fix all the problems with software updates, you can't go back in time and erase the first reviews. You only have one opportunity to make a first impression.
    StuckwVerizon and gabe2gg like this.
  16.    #16  
    Someone above commented on the general theme...

I feel every reviewer went in really wanting to like this product. I know overall, WebOS is a favorite mobile OS amongst many people, so I really feel people wanted to really like the Touchpad.

That actually makes it worse, because in life the higher expectations you have about something, the harder you fall when those expectations are not met.

There is not one tablet, phone, or computer that is perfect. Which is good because if I ever found the perfect device, I would lose all my 'kid on Christmas Eve night' excitement when a new product is released.

Enjoy the tablet. I will.
    I don't get why people expected hdmi/vga when it had been clear for 6 months what the hardware will be. Yes hdmi would be nice for some but not all and I am sure it will be comming with the next gen. Though I do hope they stick to supporting the first gen a while as I don't think it has the same lifecycle as a phone!

I got mine pre ordered (germany) for 24h now and I haven't seen it lag. Yes it takes 3-4 seconds to open a new app. At least for me thats not an issue.

In the end, if you have high expectations its easy to get dissapointed.
    Yes there need to be more apps. App catalog in germany lists about 3200 with most of them beeing phone app.
    So they need to work on that. Especially when most of the native TP apps are paid ones...
    They need to work on the music app bug and add the clock and calc soon.
    Else it is a joy to surf around don't regret it at all!
    I think most things would have been forgiven by the reviewers, but very few are willing to forgive the weight & dimension specs.

On smartphones, the processing capabilities was the primary spec concern. However, the usability on the tablet is greatly impacted by the weight/dimension issue.

The weight and dimension (thickness) issue further becomes glaring when the OS is not completely glitch free.

HP should have recognized that this would be an issue with the then impending iPad 2 release and accounted for this since February/March.

I played with one yesterday at a Bestbuy and was extremely impressed with the polish of the OS (glitches notwithstanding).

The HP Touchpad would compare favourably in the current market. In fact, in head-to-head battles, I think only the iPad 2 and maybe the Galaxy Tab 10.1 might trump it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HP strategy with the late release of the Touchpad is to establish its own ecosystem and win the battle against the original iPad, which is still getting good sales number.

I foresee a price drop of the Touchpad, which would allow a revision of the initial reviews and allow it to compete squarely and more favorably.

I think in the long-run, the apps will come. A lot of exciting ones are already there. And keep in mind, it currently runs Hulu!!!

Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    I agree with the OP. I made some of the same observations in another post. It's difficult for some people here to accept anything less than positive about a webOS device.

Let's face it, HP could have done better. The comparisons need to be made against what's in the market now, not a year or two ago. HP claims they want to have the best device on the market. From a hardware perspective, they fell short of that mark. That puts more of a burdon on the software to pick up the slack. Unfortunately, the amount of quality apps may not be there now, so it's all up to the OS for the time being.

The question is whether they did good enough to stay in the race. Only time will tell over the next 3-6 months as we see what marketshare webOS is able to attain.

Take a look at what Samsung did this Winter. They announced their new Galaxy Tab to be released in the Summer. Apple came out with the new specs for the iPad2 later on. Samsung said "wait a minute... forget what we told you." Samsung scrapped their plans for that current device and came up with a device with much better specs to be competitive with Apple. They figured out a way to narrow the gap with the competition instead of allowing the competition to gain distance ahead of them.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DumbPreCommenter View Post
    I think most things would have been forgiven by the reviewers, but very few are willing to forgive the weight & dimension specs.

On smartphones, the processing capabilities was the primary spec concern. However, the usability on the tablet is greatly impacted by the weight/dimension issue.

The weight and dimension (thickness) issue further becomes glaring when the OS is not completely glitch free.

HP should have recognized that this would be an issue with the then impending iPad 2 release and accounted for this since February/March.

I played with one yesterday at a Bestbuy and was extremely impressed with the polish of the OS (glitches notwithstanding).

The HP Touchpad would compare favourably in the current market. In fact, in head-to-head battles, I think only the iPad 2 and maybe the Galaxy Tab 10.1 might trump it.

I wouldn't be surprised if the HP strategy with the late release of the Touchpad is to establish its own ecosystem and win the battle against the original iPad, which is still getting good sales number.

I foresee a price drop of the Touchpad, which would allow a revision of the initial reviews and allow it to compete squarely and more favorably.

I think in the long-run, the apps will come. A lot of exciting ones are already there. And keep in mind, it currently runs Hulu!!!

The touchpad will never compete with the ipad 1 and it shouldn't since its priced at 500 similar to the ipad 2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast