Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
  1.    #1  
    Was in a best buy the other day. HP rep was talking to a random customer about the touchpad.

so I walk over and kinda join the discussion. He is ALL about the touchpad and thinks its cool.

So I explain how it is going to work with the veer and pre3 and give you extra cool features.

He says "I just upgraded and got a new android phone not two weeks ago....think I can return it?"

I said "sure, most carriers have 30 day return policy"

"What carrier are you with?"

"Sprint"

"uhhh, they dont have a webos phone"

come on sprint! get with it. hp, flex some muscle.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    wow bummer lol
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadavis08 View Post
    wow bummer lol
    yup, first person I got to talk to about the touchpad and they are on sprint.

course I use sprint too. so its a double fail from my shoes.
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
    I think its the other way around. Sprint got BURNED by the tepid and festooned crap that was the original Pre, and i think they still feel the burn. Didnt help that the upgraded Pre models never made their way to Sprint, yet other carriers got them.
    Guess what brought the sexy back to Sprint somewhat, a little guy called the Evo and Android, so its only natural they focus on what's laying them golden eggs.
    .....Life is But Such Sweet Sorrow.....
    slbailey1 likes this.
  5. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    I honestly wish either Sprint or HP take a big loss on this whole webOS thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I honestly wish either Sprint or HP take a big loss on this whole webOS thing.
    Why?
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    Was in a best buy the other day. HP rep was talking to a random customer about the touchpad.

so I walk over and kinda join the discussion. He is ALL about the touchpad and thinks its cool.

So I explain how it is going to work with the veer and pre3 and give you extra cool features.

He says "I just upgraded and got a new android phone not two weeks ago....think I can return it?"

I said "sure, most carriers have 30 day return policy"

"Sprint"

Why would sprint take another risk on webos when it failed with them before?
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Superjudge View Post
    Why?
    HP and before Palm never lived up to their expectation. The main issue with the phone was hardware. The software was 80% done with the remaining 20% filled up by the homebrew and others. A year later we have Touchpad with same old issues (specially the lag)This is the reason I want HP to take a BIG HIT so that they wake up and work like there is no tomorrow.

Sprint OTOH, got burned by the Pre. If you returned couple of them then you know what I am talking about. It is understood that Sprint didn't like the first version, but why on earth they refused Pre 3 ? Seems dumb. You got to take gamble. FWIW , if touchpad becomes No 2 tablet in about two years , I bet HP will squeeze Sprint in the wrong places. You don't mess around a big tech company. Especially when that company is your customer too. HP is Sprint's customer, HP staff uses either Sprint or ATT phones. Last I heard from a buddy of mine who works for HP, they are told to get a Pre3 on ATT. They will end up a tiny tiny third carrier in between VERIZON and ATT that many of us don't want to use. They got burned with the Wimax thing too. So for being arrogant and ignoring future prospects with webOS, I want SPRINT to take a big loss that can bring it closer to being bankrupt.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    why would att and vzw take a chance on the pre3 when the pre- and pre2 failed on them?

oh wait, cuz its hp and having more phones is never a bad thing
    @agentmock

mike814 likes this.
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Why would it not? HP messed up touchpad , but remember its just the beginning, HP has what it takes to be No2. Then Sprint has to beg and crawl at HP's feet. I can see that happen in two years. Besides with PALM, Palm needed Sprint to survive, with HP, HP doesn't need Sprint.
  11. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    why would att and vzw take a chance on the pre3 when the pre- and pre2 failed on them?

oh wait, cuz its hp and having more phones is never a bad thing
    Pre 3 works with Touchpad. Its a win-win for Verizon and HP. Pre 2 was not a success , but it was not returned like Pre - on Sprint.
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    HP and before Palm never lived up to their expectation. The main issue with the phone was hardware. The software was 80% done with the remaining 20% filled up by the homebrew and others. A year later we have Touchpad with same old issues (specially the lag)This is the reason I want HP to take a BIG HIT so that they wake up and work like there is no tomorrow.

Sprint OTOH, got burned by the Pre. If you returned couple of them then you know what I am talking about. It is understood that Sprint didn't like the first version, but why on earth they refused Pre 3 ? Seems dumb. You got to take gamble. FWIW , if touchpad becomes No 2 tablet in about two years , I bet HP will squeeze Sprint in the wrong places. You don't mess around a big tech company. Especially when that company is your customer too. HP is Sprint's customer, HP staff uses either Sprint or ATT phones. Last I heard from a buddy of mine who works for HP, they are told to get a Pre3 on ATT. They will end up a tiny tiny third carrier in between VERIZON and ATT that many of us don't want to use. They got burned with the Wimax thing too. So for being arrogant and ignoring future prospects with webOS, I want SPRINT to take a big loss that can bring it closer to being bankrupt.
    Well if HP takes a big hit, webOS will be moved to the front lines of the Chinese Mobile OS war for cheap. It won't be a roll up our sleeves and get this done situation. It's not like it hasn't been that way for the past year. Granted HP is gonna ride this for at least a year or two more before that would happen unless someone offers them a great price to take it off their hands.

Sprint did not take a hit on the first Pre. In fact it's the only webOS device that has been a success on any network. It's not the first nor the last phone to have hardware issue. The Epic 4G is plagued by many similiar issues too and Sprint is releasing a sequel. It's about the userbase. Sprint doesn't have the money to take the chance. They operate at a loss so while I'm sure there is interest, there's also a 'lets wait and see if HP can succeed where Palm failed" approach. I don't blame them and I'm a Sprint customer.
    Last edited by Superjudge; 06/30/2011 at 10:25 AM.
    This thread is for discussing the possible lack of a Pre 3 on Touchpad sales. If you want to discuss the initial Pre debut on Sprint, there are about 37 threads already open on the topic.
  14. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    back on topic, Sprint can still welcome Touchpad, package it with their mobile hotspots. Pre 3 costing Touchpad sales , yes, but how many ? not much.
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    This thread is for discussing the possible lack of a Pre 3 on Touchpad sales. If you want to discuss the initial Pre debut on Sprint, there are about 37 threads already open on the topic.
    I agree but there's bound to be crossover because it's basically the same core issue of Sprint and webOS.
    Let me remind everyone here that the when the Pre launched it was Sprints highest selling phone to date.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Let me remind everyone here that the when the Pre launched it was Sprints highest selling phone to date.
    Two things to note here

1. Sale numbers of the pre minus were never released. Sprint was also close to being bought/bankrupt at this time. Yet the evo is a bestseller for sprint and percise numbers were released.

2. Android hadn't taken off yet as the droid released in nov of 2009 and the nexus in early 2010

"Sprint"

Actually, I reach the opposite conclusion than your premise:

HP TouchPad is going to cost Sprint customers
    I will be switching carriers the day the Pre 3 is available on AT&T, if it's not yet available on Sprint (or already promised to be released very soon). I'm buying a new tablet computer, and want the phone(s) that are designed to work with it.
    Sprint doesn't offer enough incentive pricewise to make me want to give up on WebOS.
    jadiff likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    You can't count replacement phones.
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Actually, I reach the opposite conclusion than your premise:

HP TouchPad is going to cost Sprint customers
    I will be switching carriers the day the Pre 3 is available on AT&T, if it's not yet available on Sprint (or already promised to be released very soon). I'm buying a new tablet computer, and want the phone(s) that are designed to work with it.
    Sprint doesn't offer enough incentive pricewise to make me want to give up on WebOS.
    Whoa! This is exactly what I just wrote in my email to Dan. I am buying the TP on the 1st and will go to the 1st provider that offers the Pre3 unless Sprint has confirmed that they will be carrying it.
    Sprint Palm Pre 1.4.5 @ 1G
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast