Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I do not know how to run a fortune 500 business. But try telling that to Samsung,HTC, MOTO, LG. And please don't even bring Apple here.

OTOH, what on earth are you doing with 200 K plus employees ? I know they all don't fit in webOS group, but match it with how many are working on APPLE and Google side of the world. Trust me, THEY ARE SLOW.
    Typically what happens is you lose talent and work with less numbers on the products/solutions acquired. Because the size of HP and it's 320,000 employees, many products or product groups get swallowed up and just become part of the larger HP. WebOS, while a focus for HP on several fronts; it's still one offering in a MASSIVE portfolio. Because of this, resources on most solutions are actually constrained and under staffed.

Now being part of HP is great from a brand awareness, $$$, marketing and industry leadership position; working in a company of this size typically slows progress and innovation waaaayyyyy down. You no longer have the laser focus on a specific offering, industry or region. This would hold true for those companies you mention above.

Also, I'm sure a lot of senior management have wanted to get their hands on WebOS or parts of the Palm business, thus internal battles ensued. This would slow progress for sure.

The other thing that could happen from an acquisition is to leave the acquired company as a one off, stand alone business. This would allow them to move faster, have more $$$ and backing from the larger HP. However, this didn't happen with the Palm acquisition; at least I don't think it did.

So, trust me, THEY ARE NOT SLOW, just slower then a smaller more focused company on a subset of markets HP is in. just saying
    Quote Originally Posted by 65fastback View Post
    Was in a best buy the other day. HP rep was talking to a random customer about the touchpad. so I walk over and kinda join the discussion.
    Sorry but i just thought this was funny because, well, you're hella just butting into other random people's conversation. lol.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really do believe there will be more people that give up on Sprint because of no WebOS phone, than will give up on WebOS because there's none on Sprint.
    Anything is possible. That being said one i think the webos userbase on Sprint is way too small for Sprint to care.

Second, i think it's debatable as to whether there really would be a mass exodus of those users. Take this poll on precentral asking what people will do if the pre 3 doesn't come to sprint. More then half the people, 58.43%, say they'll stay with sprint for an android or iphone should it be available http://forums.precentral.net/cdma-no...-5-sprint.html Its' a small sample but this is at a site full of the faithful. So it's likely skewed in favor or webos not against it. So of that already small number at best Sprint may be looking only at losing 40% of them. I'd bet they are willing to risk it. Because it's not a big risk. And if it sells big they can stock it in a month or so.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    one thing for sure, it is a race.

SPRINT don't believe in marathon. Opinion differs, the path parts.
    Global Posts
    631 Global Posts
    While I am a current Sprint customer, I think that going with ATT was a smart choice. Sprint is on a roll with the EVO brand, and they don't have the resources to give HP the attention it needs. ATT, however, is still in need of filling the iPhone void. They'll give it the attn it needs. Now, take into account that ATT is GSM and so is most of the world... It makes it easier for HP to concentrate on the GSM technology. Now, when the 2nd version of the TouchPad comes out, or the 3rd, then HP can concentrate on the GSM/CDMA/LTE trio.

I too got burned by the Pre(-), and I wouldn't be buying it unless it shows some track record. Mojo is going to be phased out... Right now WebOS has the phone version and the tablet version, and there's no clear indication that HP intends on staying and competing in the phone industry.
    back on topic, Sprint can still welcome Touchpad, package it with their mobile hotspots. Pre 3 costing Touchpad sales , yes, but how many ? not much.
    that's what i've done-not sure about what to do about my Pre- it still works fine so I can wait til the dust settles.
    Considering HP could just buy Sprint if it wanted to, no, I don't think Sprint is cost HP sales. I had Sprint once and dropped it because (compared to AT&T and Verizon) their network, well, sucks. I live in a rural area and here I get 3.5G on AT&T, 3G (soon to be 4G) on Verizon, and crap from Sprint and T-Mobile. So that limits my options.

Sprint doesn't have the numbers required to make them a priority. Sorry, but when Palm first came out with the Pre, it was their choice of Sprint that led me to believe that it wouldn't last.
  8. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    Typically what happens is you lose talent and work with less numbers on the products/solutions acquired. Because the size of HP and it's 320,000 employees, many products or product groups get swallowed up and just become part of the larger HP. WebOS, while a focus for HP on several fronts; it's still one offering in a MASSIVE portfolio. Because of this, resources on most solutions are actually constrained and under staffed.
    And

Quote Originally Posted by Midway99 View Post
    So, trust me, THEY ARE NOT SLOW, just slower then a smaller more focused company on a subset of markets HP is in. just saying
    Couple of things,
    Palm was left to run as it was before for at least six months.
    HP did not "double down" the investment on Palm after they bought it.

What it tells me is that, HP thought they really bought the next Apple for 1.2 billions after seeing the demos of the products in the pipeline. Except Palm is not the next Apple.

What they could have done is to bring Dewitt sooner to PALM unit as the head. Then lock this guy , Ruby in a room. Give money to Ruby to hire or lure more people from Apple/Microsoft/Nokia. Leave him working on the product.

Dewitt looks like the typical corporate managers who knows how to work relations. He could have fixed the Sprint issue. I am sure with a little bit of give and take Sprint will agree to HP.

How about supersizing the Pixi ? Thats a no brainer. Sprint would have agreed to it.
    Last edited by gbp; 07/25/2011 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Indent
  9.    #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by bdhu2001 View Post
    I don't think Sprint is costing TouchPad sales. No company has the Pre 3 so touch integration isn't selling TouchPads. Also, no tablet has touch-to-share so that isn't the reason look at or buy tablets. It's a nice touch (ha, ha), but it's a wasted feature if there is no phone out there that can take advantage of the feature.
    its about the ecosystem and not tts.

the ecosystem is having your apps, your pictures, your calendar, your data across all your devices that use the same operating system. People dont wanna buy the same app for multiple os's and learn how to use multiple os's and have their data be out of sync.

(note: this is where webos netbooks and webos on laptops and desktops comes into play....and in the future, webos on your tv)
    @agentmock

Audiovox SMT5600 (WM) --> Cingular 8125 (WM) --> Sprint Mogul 8525 (WM) --> Palm Pre (webOS)- --> Sprint Franken Pre2 (webOS) + 32gb Touchpad (webOS)
  10. gbp
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apollo_sg View Post
    one thing for sure, it is a race.

SPRINT don't believe in marathon. Opinion differs, the path parts.
    Just to refresh memory, its a marathon for Sprint. If you owned Sprint stock for more than 4 years you know why. If they believed in "sprint" then they would have died of dehydration.

It was almost bankrupt. Now after cutting costs for four years and loosing customers every quarters they reached a point where the remaining customers can no longer defect to the other carriers because of the cheap prices/SERO plan/Corporate Discount. Plain simple Sprint is cheap.
    chalx likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Considering HP could just buy Sprint if it wanted to, no, I don't think Sprint is cost HP sales. I had Sprint once and dropped it because (compared to AT&T and Verizon) their network, well, sucks. I live in a rural area and here I get 3.5G on AT&T, 3G (soon to be 4G) on Verizon, and crap from Sprint and T-Mobile. So that limits my options.

Sprint doesn't have the numbers required to make them a priority. Sorry, but when Palm first came out with the Pre, it was their choice of Sprint that led me to believe that it wouldn't last.
    You realize that Hp has to have the majority of sprint stock to aquire them? Money is only only one part of the equation. Also what's the point of buying a company if it doesn't fit in your business. Hp buying sprint would be another cisco/flip video fiaso
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Sprint Newsroom | Sprint Sets Sales Record With Weekend Debut of Palm Pre

By late Sunday, Palm Pre had broken previous sales records (first day and first weekend) for a Sprint device.
    blinktreo likes this.
    Couple of things,
    Palm was left to run as it was before for at least six months.
    HP did not "double down" the investment on Palm after they bought it.

It tells me is that, HP thought they really bought the next Apple for 1.2 billions after seeing the demos of the products in the pipeline. Except Palm is not the next Apple.
    Man, English is not my native language and I couldn't say this like you did. I wanted, but I couldn't! That is right what I feel. Maybe Jon is not that bad salesman at all.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really do believe there will be more people that give up on Sprint because of no WebOS phone, than will give up on WebOS because there's none on Sprint.
    It was a difficult decision, but I think I will - been with Sprint a long time, beginning with a Treo 650. I bought the TouchPad, and unless Sprint announces that they will carry the it before then, I will switch to Verizon when the Pre 3 comes out.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post

Seriously, I don't even know why Sprint is still called a national carrier. US Cellular has better coverage in a lot of those areas than Sprint does at this point and they're still considered a regional carrier. I guess it's just number of licenses markets rather than actual coverage area.
    You know what the funny part is? I was talking to an HP product tester about a week ago and he told me a ton of things about the TouchPad and Pre3, like the fact that HP has a working Pre3 on Sprints network.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    ------------------------------------------------------
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    ('')_('') signature to help him gain world domination
    I am curious, how many times will you actually use the features offered by the bluetooth connectivity?

I have a Sprint Pre- and can not see myself wasting a phone battery twice as fast just so I can have my text messages go from my pocket to my tablet. Especially when the TP is not always right next to me and the phone is always in my pocket.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by malkozaine View Post
    you know what the funny part is? I was talking to an hp product tester about a week ago and he told me a ton of things about the touchpad and pre3, like the fact that hp has a working pre3 on sprints network.

-- sent from my palm pre using forums
    if this is true, hp can sell it them self and we can all buy it and have it activated on sprint. Sprint allows for outside phone purchase and activation.

It's along the same lines as ATT iPhones being activated on T-Mobile. As long as the network is accessible then it'll be allowed. It just means Sprint will loose out on the sale kickbacks.
    16 Candles, The Breakfast Club SB, Friday SB, App Catalog Fix, Palm Pre/Pixi - USB Modem, TMC Workaround, SCRIM Changing OTF

The fastest way to install Preware on your WebOS device.
    Put your device in Developer mode.
    From your PC download the Preware installer from http://get.preware.org
    Run the Preware installer while the WebOS device is connected with the USB cable to your PC.
    Vualla Preware is installed.]
    Quote Originally Posted by Malkozaine View Post
    You know what the funny part is? I was talking to an HP product tester about a week ago and he told me a ton of things about the TouchPad and Pre3, like the fact that HP has a working Pre3 on Sprints network.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Sorry, but that means absolutely nothing. One would assume they would have to get the phones on Sprint for internal HP testing before being able to sell the phones to Sprint. Sprint can't test a product that HP hasn't been able to determine will operate properly.

And either you are really close to this cat, he is full of it, or he doesn't care much for his job. I would imagine being a product tester would carry a pretty strict NDA.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by demetry14 View Post
    if this is true, hp can sell it them self and we can all buy it and have it activated on sprint. Sprint allows for outside phone purchase and activation.
    ESN's would have to be on approved list. I don't see Sprint changing this long standing policy.

My guess is HP can get ESN's on a network for testing. I would guess these ESN's are limited, and possibly have a time limit on them as well based on whatever contracts HP has with Sprint.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast