Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 67
Like Tree15Likes
  1. #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Merovingian View Post
    I think its the other way around. Sprint got BURNED by the tepid and festooned crap that was the original Pre, and i think they still feel the burn. Didnt help that the upgraded Pre models never made their way to Sprint, yet other carriers got them.
    Guess what brought the sexy back to Sprint somewhat, a little guy called the Evo and Android, so its only natural they focus on what's laying them golden eggs.
    This is true. Sprint was burned so bad, why would they take that risk again? I was talking to a Sprint rep who's now very familiar with me b/c of me coming in for refurbs. He told me that Pre's like the most returned phone out of all phones (returned for service/exchange).
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by jadiff View Post
    Whoa! This is exactly what I just wrote in my email to Dan. I am buying the TP on the 1st and will go to the 1st provider that offers the Pre3 unless Sprint has confirmed that they will be carrying it.
    I really do believe there will be more people that give up on Sprint because of no WebOS phone, than will give up on WebOS because there's none on Sprint.
  3. #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    <snip... >

    Sprint OTOH, got burned by the Pre. If you returned couple of them then you know what I am talking about.
    I am on my 12th one ... good thing I got pay for that service policy ... all hardware failures.

    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    <snip ...> So for being arrogant and ignoring future prospects with webOS, I want SPRINT to take a big loss that can bring it closer to being bankrupt.
    I can't blame Sprint in a way. The Pre was a complete POS as hardware. The design of the physical hardware was horrible and frankly, looking at the new one, I see most of those issues being still there, which is a real bummer, as I have been using the Palm line of devices since the original Palm Pilot and now it looks like I am going to have to go elsewhere. I certainly can't blame Sprint and don't want to see them suffer for it, but I sure wish there was a webOS phone out there on which I would feel comfortable relying upon, and not something with a smaller screen and such like the Pixi. I want a larger screen like the Androids. And I want a shape that is easy to told on to, easy to manipulate one handed, etc. Things at which the Pre sucks immeasurably.

    Now, take the Kyocera Echo, add 4G (why they only made it 3G is utterly beyond me) and put webOS on it ... that thing looks sweet!

    Back to the Pre though ... for over a decade, Palm did a great job building solid hardware that performed very well and was even fairly durable. I hate to think about how many TX's I would have gone through if it had been made like the Pre. Did HP fire all those people and hire a bunch of toy makers instead? Naw, toys, even the cheap Chinese stuff from the Dollar General store, are more durable than the Palm Pre.
    Last edited by Tumbleweed_Biff; 07/24/2011 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Accidental submission - accidentally hit enter but wasn't done.
  4. #24  
    Sprint can afford to wait. They can't lose to wait a little bit.

    They got nuked with the Pre. Compared to their driod users... How many people of their users are pre's on sprint right? Probably so tiny it's not even significant. Veer sales probably low because its such a niche phone and the Pre3 is not even suppose to be out until Fall whenever that is so they are not missing anything now.

    So they can wait 12 months and see if touchpads sell and by that time the new webos phones are out (??) and solid and selling well. Hp will jump at the chance to sell to them.

    If not, Sprint has been doing ok with android phones. Probably better than they ever did with Pres/pixis. Their not getting hurt by waiting and wont lose much if they sell a year later.
    slbailey1 likes this.
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Why would sprint take another risk on webos when it failed with them before?
    Sprint wins when people sign contracts, when the manufacturer has to take the warranty replacements the manufacturer losses. Sprint won BIG on webos because they got a ton of us to sign 2 year contracts to get it.

    Sprint loses money (2 lines here and many more on the forums), when people leave to go to other carriers because Sprint DOESN'T WANT TO CARRY WEBOS!

    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  6. #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    I really do believe there will be more people that give up on Sprint because of no WebOS phone, than will give up on WebOS because there's none on Sprint.
    THIS!!!!! Our Sprint lines end today, loving new WebOS devices and ATT, thanks Sprint!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. #27  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    HP and before Palm never lived up to their expectation. The main issue with the phone was hardware. The software was 80% done with the remaining 20% filled up by the homebrew and others. A year later we have Touchpad with same old issues (specially the lag)This is the reason I want HP to take a BIG HIT so that they wake up and work like there is no tomorrow.
    If you think HP didn't already "work like there is no tomorrow" then you really have no idea how business works. Them purchasing, fulling integrating Palm, and getting a new product to market all in less than a year is actually extremely impressive and shows just how much work went into the effort.
  8. #28  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Why would sprint take another risk on webos when it failed with them before?
    The thing is, plenty of phones have failed for every carrier. Sprint has android phones that underperformed. I understand them not wanting to push hard for Webos, but shunning them completely seems harsh.
  9. #29  
    People high on TouchPad and TTS have already made their mind to follow webOS across carriers. And others, some will switch carriers if new webOS doesn't land on Sprint, and some will pick other OS and stay with Sprint. Those who stay with Sprint will probably buy TP just to stay in touch with webOS, so I don't think Sprint is costing TP sales.

    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If you think HP didn't already "work like there is no tomorrow" then you really have no idea how business works. Them purchasing, fulling integrating Palm, and getting a new product to market all in less than a year is actually extremely impressive and shows just how much work went into the effort.
    But, Palm's integration was just that, an integration. Whole time they was working on webOS. They didn't get some other OS to develop from scratch.HP spent most time in sucking Palm into their hierarchy. That's probably why HP released Pre2, Veer and TouchPad as Palm's design. If that is true, than HP didn't work like there is no tomorrow because they haven't released their original project.
    It seems HP put most of effort to structure Palm along HP hierarchy. I'm under impression that HP execs haven't been too much in touch what's happening inside webOS development
    Last edited by chalx; 07/24/2011 at 06:10 PM.
  10. #30  
    sprint probably saw webos as the iphone killer and heese did say rubi was looking to go head to head with apple... so i imagine he took the sales pitch and there's more to it... i imagine sprint paid up to lock down exclusive rights to the webos. so either heese is still smartin, or wanted better terms from hp for being 'early adopters' any they couldnt make the deal. again, i dont think there are that many pre owners on sprint left for them to sweat it.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    The thing is, plenty of phones have failed for every carrier. Sprint has android phones that underperformed. I understand them not wanting to push hard for Webos, but shunning them completely seems harsh.
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    But, Palm's integration was just that, an integration. Whole time they was working on webOS. They didn't get some other OS to develop from scratch.HP spent most time in sucking Palm into their hierarchy. That's probably why HP released Pre2, Veer and TouchPad as Palm's design. If that is true, than HP didn't work like there is no tomorrow because they haven't released their original project.
    It seems HP put most of effort to structure Palm along HP hierarchy. I'm under impression that HP execs haven't been too much in touch what's happening inside webOS development
    It doesn't matter if the Veer and the TouchPad were Palm original designs rather than concepts. The speed at which they integrated the company and developed and released those products is still impressive. Most other companies that are taken over like this for their tech usually take multiple years before anything comes from it, unless of course those companies were only purchased as "IP shields".
    kjb86 likes this.
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by etx View Post
    Let me remind everyone here that the when the Pre launched it was Sprints highest selling phone to date.
    I think everyone realizes that. The problem is that it also became Sprint's highest returned phone as well. Unfortunately, it probably still holds that title.
  13. #33  
    But the rediculious thing is that hardware was the issue, not software and palm revised the hardware. I would have gladly used upgrades or paid outright for a plus or pre2. Sprint was stupid for not just sending back every pre- and telling palm stock us with the revised models if the hardware was the issue. Palm made revisions. Sprint didn't pick them up. The pre came out june09, it's july11 and still no replacement. The pixi doesn't count, they are built very well.

    -- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    kjb86 likes this.
  14. #34  
    i imagine they have sold a ton of android phones over total number of pres since then. when they went with hero and then evo, i dont think they ever looked back.

    from sprints launch day sale of evo...

    "the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined,"

    150,000 evos the first weekend. how many days.. months?... did it take to get to 150,000 Pre's?

    Quote Originally Posted by Smartfah View Post
    I think everyone realizes that. The problem is that it also became Sprint's highest returned phone as well. Unfortunately, it probably still holds that title.
  15. #35  
    I don't think Sprint is costing TouchPad sales. No company has the Pre 3 so touch integration isn't selling TouchPads. Also, no tablet has touch-to-share so that isn't the reason look at or buy tablets. It's a nice touch (ha, ha), but it's a wasted feature if there is no phone out there that can take advantage of the feature.
  16. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #36  
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Antares View Post
    If you think HP didn't already "work like there is no tomorrow" then you really have no idea how business works. Them purchasing, fulling integrating Palm, and getting a new product to market all in less than a year is actually extremely impressive and shows just how much work went into the effort.
    I do not know how to run a fortune 500 business. But try telling that to Samsung,HTC, MOTO, LG. And please don't even bring Apple here.

    OTOH, what on earth are you doing with 200 K plus employees ? I know they all don't fit in webOS group, but match it with how many are working on APPLE and Google side of the world. Trust me, THEY ARE SLOW.
  17. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #37  
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    It seems HP put most of effort to structure Palm along HP hierarchy. I'm under impression that HP execs haven't been too much in touch what's happening inside webOS development
    Agree.
    I was reading somewhere that the business unit staff is around 5000. That IMO is low, especially if you want to compete with the likes of APPLE.
  18. gbp
    gbp is offline
    gbp's Avatar
    Posts
    2,506 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,543 Global Posts
    #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed_Biff View Post
    I am on my 12th one ... good thing I got pay for that service policy ... all hardware failures.
    So you know the pain.
    How about giving you the Pre3 ? Is Sprint dumb ? If they have issues they need to sort them out. Never upset the customer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed_Biff View Post

    I can't blame Sprint in a way. The Pre was a complete POS as hardware.
    Its a known fact. And Pre 3 looked solid ( from the reviews). Its not about past. Its about future. To me Sprint thinks HP is not going anywhere with webOS. I say we shall see. Two years back no one thought about Android taking over mobile world. Heck no one did not even think that Apple would sue everyone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tumbleweed_Biff View Post
    Now, take the Kyocera Echo, add 4G (why they only made it 3G is utterly beyond me) and put webOS on it ... that thing looks sweet!
    Are you sure about it ? This one is a confusing phone.
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by donm527 View Post
    i imagine they have sold a ton of android phones over total number of pres since then. when they went with hero and then evo, i dont think they ever looked back.

    from sprints launch day sale of evo...

    "the total number of HTC EVO 4G devices sold on launch day was in line with the number of Samsung Instinct and Palm Pre devices sold over their first three days on the market combined,"

    150,000 evos the first weekend. how many days.. months?... did it take to get to 150,000 Pre's?
    I know the Evo's sales trumped the Pre's. The point that was trying to be made was that, prior to the Evo, the Pre had the best launch on Sprint. Despite the Evo's dominating sales over the Pre, the only other thing that overshadows the Pre's launch was the # of returns & hardware problems they had with the phone.
  20. #40  
    Quote Originally Posted by gbp View Post
    I do not know how to run a fortune 500 business. But try telling that to Samsung,HTC, MOTO, LG. And please don't even bring Apple here.
    How about trying telling that to HP??? Clearly they are terrible at doing business and have absolutely NO IDEA WHAT THEY ARE DOING. I'ts not like they are number 11 on that Fortune 500 list or anything....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions