Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    I understand, which is why I am hopeful that they see the value in converting it to HTLM5 instead of just creating an app for each ecosystem.
    They do it for security reasons. In HTML5 it will be eaiser to steal (as opposed to just ripping a higher quality blu-ray or torrent)

As long as theft is an issue web apps won't be coming anytime soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Oooops - wait a minute, why would "one assume that"?
    USB is very robust (with the drivers). Micro USB doesn't change that, just changes the size of the connector. Let's not get wonky with the the technology. USB is a serial bus, and pretty robust.
    He might be talking about being physically more robust than micro USB. IME, those micro USB ports can be a bit flimsy, and to have a somewhat heavy micro USB->HDMI adapter (plus the weight and pressure added by the HDMI cable) can be a bit taxing to that small port.

Whereas Apple's proprietary port is larger and, theoretically, more robust. At least that's how I read his post.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Why are you here?
    He's the court jester, please don't mind him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carioca_FL View Post
    He might be talking about being physically more robust than micro USB. IME, those micro USB ports can be a bit flimsy, and to have a somewhat heavy micro USB->HDMI adapter (plus the weight and pressure added by the HDMI cable) can be a bit taxing to that small port.

Whereas Apple's proprietary port is larger and, theoretically, more robust. At least that's how I read his post.
    I think he's actually talking about Thunderbolt's ability to do things like .

It's very cool technology, but it's also very expensive to implement.
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    If you want ease of porting, you might as well go for the Playbook because it is actually running on a POSIX-certified OS --- that is THE industry standard.
    However, Linux has more industry support than QNX ever will have. POSIX certification is more about forking over the big bucks to have the organization go through the lengthy test process to verify that the OS complies with the standards documents. While a couple distributions have been certified, given how fast open source software evolves, once a distribution is certified, it's obsolete. One of the reasons the webOS homebrew community has been so successful has to do with the availability of linux for a number of architectures and the tools that it provides for zero cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    They do it for security reasons. In HTML5 it will be eaiser to steal (as opposed to just ripping a higher quality blu-ray or torrent)

As long as theft is an issue web apps won't be coming anytime soon.
    If HTML5 doesnt work, then maybe they can get Silverlight on the TouchPad, making it one of the most robust browsers that doesnt run Windows. That is my hope.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    The HDMI adapter is coming
    And the Pre3 is going to have LTE and WiMax radios!!!!!! Quality Source or I call BS x 1,000. I have yet to see a single piece of real information on microUSB to HDMI functionality in regard to the TouchPad in my hours of searching. I do see tons of random uberfans saying the TouchPad will have the capability with an adapter with no references or sources to back up their either lack of knowledge about microUSB technology or their gut instinct.

There is absolutely ZERO support for audio and video out for the microUSB standard. None. Zilch. Special hardware changes need to be made for the technology to work, and additional pins need to be added to the microUSB connector to enable the functionality.

From Precentral's Part 1 Review:

..The micro-USB port sits at the bottom of the device. It’s the only physical IO port on the entire device, and even then only serves that role in a USB-to-your-computer capacity. There are no USB host capabilities here, so you aren’t going to be hooking up card readers, video output devices, keyboards, or whatever other tethered hardware suits your fancy. It’s possible HP could add this in a future version of webOS, but here out of the gate the TouchPad is lacking those features...
    Review: HP TouchPad [part 1] | The #1 HP / Palm webOS Community | PreCentral.net
    You honestly don't expect HP to add a TouchPad to every. single. laptop. -do you?
    We're talking WebOS, not a TouchPad! Where have you been?!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I think he's actually talking about Thunderbolt's ability to do things like .

It's very cool technology, but it's also very expensive to implement.
    and not on any of its iOS products, so it's irrelevant to this discussion. HP already has a wireless HDMI adapter and it would be better to have the TouchPad work with that than to have some clunky USB adapter. If the goal is to use it for presentations, wouldn't it be nicer to be able to walk around with the TouchPad than having it connected to the projector?
    If HTML5 doesnt work, then maybe they can get Silverlight on the TouchPad, making it one of the most robust browsers that doesnt run Windows. That is my hope.
    There certainly has been a lot of demand to get Netflix support with Moonlight (the open source implementation of Silverlight from the Mono project), but I don't think it has gone anywhere because of the DRM issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    And Android Honeycomb was less prepared at launch. With the ecosystem HP is building for WebOS the app selection will explode.
    Yeah, and the got **** for it, but they quickly changed their situation in a few months.

Do you think HP will fall in that same category?
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    The netflix website is built upon silverlight which there is no mobile plug in for.
    The Netflix is being reworked (by Netflix) to use HTML 5. Virtually all future Netflix releases will be using HTML 5.
    I understand, which is why I am hopeful that they see the value in converting it to HTLM5 instead of just creating an app for each ecosystem.
    The Netflix Tech Blog: Why We Choose HTML5 for User Experiences on Devices
    You honestly don't expect HP to add a TouchPad to every. single. laptop. -do you?
    I expect they will add WebOS (not a TouchPad). They said they were going to. Why would anyone think they aren't?
    lol...HTML5 hsa zero DRM standards currently.

You will not...and i repeat...will NOT see Hulu or Netflix build their website with HTML5 video anytime soon.

EDIT:...by anytime soon i mean next 2 years.

HTML5 needs to get its stuff together first.
    You imply html5 video will work wonder for netflix on touchpad, but it will not. Its not a real solution, just a paper one, at least for now.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    There is absolutely ZERO support for audio and video out for the microUSB standard. None. Zilch. Special hardware changes need to be made for the technology to work, and additional pins need to be added to the microUSB connector to enable the functionality.

From Precentral's Part 1 Review:
    You highlighted the wrong part of the review. Try this:
    The micro-USB port sits at the bottom of the device. Itís the only physical IO port on the entire device, and even then only serves that role in a USB-to-your-computer capacity. There are no USB host capabilities here, so you arenít going to be hooking up card readers, video output devices, keyboards, or whatever other tethered hardware suits your fancy. Itís possible HP could add this in a future version of webOS, but here out of the gate the TouchPad is lacking those features...
    You're way off the mark on the notion of adding "additional pins". Were someone to do so, the device would no longer be a USB port. It would be some sort of hybrid. USB ports have 4 connectors. It's part of the standard.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    The Netflix is being reworked (by Netflix) to use HTML 5. Virtually all future Netflix releases will be using HTML 5.
    Its just the ui, it had nothing to do with how they delivers the content.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    And the Pre3 is going to have LTE and WiMax radios!!!!!! Quality Source or I call BS x 1,000. I have yet to see a single piece of real information on microUSB to HDMI functionality in regard to the TouchPad in my hours of searching. I do see tons of random uberfans saying the TouchPad will have the capability with an adapter with no references or sources to back up their either lack of knowledge about microUSB technology or their gut instinct.

Ummm...pssst... Not quite true. There are several solutions to run video out through a micro-usb connection. The connection itself can support the function (contrary to your post)... But the chipset and firmware have to be compatible. So yes, there is actually support for that A/V out through that connection type.

I'm mobile, but just do a Google search for "micro usb video out". An example of an adaptor working for this: Incredible TV out video demo
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Its just the ui, it had nothing to do with how they delivers the content.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    I provided that link in reference to the Silverlight comments. It was relevant to that.

Since you brought it up, they are also working on the ability to provide streaming content entirely through the HTML 5 markup. Here's the relevant part:

Whatís still missing is how to address the last item - how exactly to tie advanced streaming standards (MPEG DASH and others) into the HTML5 <video> tag.

To this end, we are starting to get involved in the community with the goal to help shape a great standard that will be useful to everybody involved in building browsers, CE devices and services for streaming video over the Internet.

We know that achieving this goal will take a while. In the meantime, weíll continue to evolve our own streaming technology to make sure our members have the best streaming experience possible and to get to as many platforms as we can

The Netflix Tech Blog
    I provided that link in reference to the Silverlight comments. It was relevant to that.

Since you brought it up, they are also working on the ability to provide streaming content entirely through the HTML 5 markup. Here's the relevant part:

The Netflix Tech Blog
    Sure, let hope when they say 'take a while', they mean less than 6 months. Touchpad can't wait that long.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast