Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
  1.    #1  
    It seems like every major reviewer got PAID to criticize the touchpad. The hardware is rock solid for me, I don't need a back camera, I don't need HDMI (really? buy a laptop if you want to give a presentation). Oh my god it ways 5 ounces more then the ipad it must be fat and ugly!!!!! Grow some muscles and shut up.

Yes the software on the HP Touchpad does have some problems. Like any other OS, it needs to mature they basically rewrote webOS for the touchpad, and imo its really really nicely done so far. By Christmas I bet most of the bugs will be worked out which is when more people will start buying in droves, and the touchpad's little sibling(opal) will also have come out by then hopefully.

Lack of apps? Its a new platform for HP, and its going to take time for it to mature and grow, these things don't happen at launch day people..

WebOS can still do things that no other OS can accomplish. Synergy alone is worth buying the product, the new facebook/photo gallery looks really nicely done as well, and ofc multi-tasking is by far the king of webOS. Why would I want android when I have to get apps to close tasks that misbehave, or get an ipad when I have to close the app I am in to go to the other app I want??

If you looked at the Engadget article on the touchpad, most of the videos showed the touchpad's negative side, I don't think I saw one positive thing about the touchpad...

The touchpad does it for me, I've looked at other tablets and they just don't compare.

So for all of the haters out there, take a chill pill, and get off your high horse and wait for the touchpad to grow into the market.

-Toaster
    While I tend to agree that there are some anti-webOS leanings out there, I think the sum of the reviews have said the same thing: the TouchPad didn't live up to their expectations. Everyone was expecting an iPad clone running webOS but that isn't what they got.

As I said in another thread the TouchPad only got one point more than the Veer on Engadget and they HATED the Veer. They weren't as harsh on the TouchPad but their ratings were almost the same.

So I don't think the TouchPad fails as a device. It fails as the device they expected it to be.
    WarHorn79 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    It seems like every major reviewer got PAID to criticize the touchpad. The hardware is rock solid for me, I don't need a back camera, I don't need HDMI (really? buy a laptop if you want to give a presentation).

Yes the software on the HP Touchpad does have some problems. Like any other OS, it needs to mature they basically rewrote webOS for the touchpad, and imo its really really nicely done so far. By Christmas I bet most of the bugs will be worked out which is when more people will start buying in droves, and the touchpad's little sibling(opal) will also have come out by then hopefully.

Lack of apps? Its a new platform for HP, and its going to take time for it to mature and grow, these things don't happen at launch day people..

WebOS can still do things that no other OS can accomplish. Synergy alone is worth buying the product, the new facebook/photo gallery looks really nicely done as well, and ofc multi-tasking is by far the king of webOS. Why would I want android when I have to get apps to close tasks that misbehave, or get an ipad when I have to close the app I am in to go to the other app I want??

If you looked at the Engadget article on the touchpad, most of the videos showed the touchpad's negative side, I don't think I saw one positive thing about the touchpad...

The touchpad does it for me, I've looked at other tablets and they just don't compare.

So for all of the haters out there, take a chill pill, and get off your high horse and wait for the touchpad to grow into the market.

-Toaster
    I'm a huge webOS fan, but your post sounds like fantasy world:

"The hardware is rock solid": Compared to the other similarly priced tablets on the market the hardware is not rock solid (externally speaking)

"By Christmas" Really? A reviewer is supposed to dismiss lag and bugs because they might be fixed in 5 months??

"Lack of apps": If the appstore for the Pre and Veer were overflowing people would have more confidence that the appstore for the TouchPad would follow. I am optimistic, but there's not a lot of reason to believe it will happen.

Synergy etc: Every review I read complimented the OS features but noted it wasn't optimized which made it less enjoyable/usable.

---

I am not canceling my pre-order and look forward to using my TouchPad but I think that expectations were high for this device all things considering, and it appears to not be as perfect as the CEO promised it would be.
    pk1234, abegee, Midway99 and 5 others like this.
    apple paid the reviewers to have high expectations.
    sledge007 likes this.
    HDMI adapters will come.
    Well, you said it yourself: if you don't want a rear camera (or even a camera that functions outside of Skype), video output, apps to use, a responsive OS, or a modern form factor, the TouchPad is perfect for you.

I think reviewers have to mention these things because the majority of their readers do care about them.
    Rainforrest and laoh like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    HDMI adapters will come.
    That's assuming the microUSB port on the TouchPad can output the video. There have been several threads on this forum that discuss that. I would think that if it could it would have been mentioned by HP.
    let the excuses begin.....again.
    WarHorn79 and kill_dano like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    It seems like every major reviewer got PAID to criticize the touchpad. The hardware is rock solid for me, I don't need a back camera, I don't need HDMI (really? buy a laptop if you want to give a presentation). Oh my god it ways 5 ounces more then the ipad it must be fat and ugly!!!!! Grow some muscles and shut up.

-Toaster
    Maybe all of them are telling the truth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like duck, its probably a duck
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    koolkid09, pk1234, abegee and 6 others like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    That's assuming the microUSB port on the TouchPad can output the video. There have been several threads on this forum that discuss that. I would think that if it could it would have been mentioned by HP.
    No doubt it will.
    Try this:

You are going out on a date with the person you always had a crush on throughout school. You plan and prep to get ready for the date. You have all these expectations of what will happen and you get very excited.

The day finally arrives and you have what would be considered a slightly better than average date. Regardless of what happened you are going to think the date sucked because it didn't live up your expectations.

Drop the TouchPad out of the blue on these same reviewers and their reviews would be different. But tease them since February and they will create their own high expectations for the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Maybe all of them are telling the truth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like duck, its probably a duck
    OMG Thank you!
    lol I'm still hoping there's a way for video to be transferred wirelessly... with HD... i'm drooling
    Global Posts
    73 Global Posts
    The Touchpad was announced in February. Nearly 5 months ago. HP said they wouldn't release it until it was perfect. They had plenty of time to get it right, but they didn't. It's buggy and has way too many glitches at the moment when compared to other equally priced tablets. If the software had all the kinks worked out people would have been much more forgiving.

This thing was supposed to be a new starting point for WebOS, and it needed to be perfect. Expectations were high and it failed to live up to them. At least this time hardware wise it has some power and good build quality behind it (though I detest piano black glossy finished on handheld devices with a passion). If they get the software fixed up in time they could start to turn things around. And by in time I mean less than a month, not by the end of the year. If it takes them that long you might as well hammer the coffin shut yourself.
    Even the javascript score of browser on IP-1 is way better than TP and TP has way better specs than IP-1
    Why didn't HP just redesign the hardware from the get go.
  17.    #17  
    *sighs* People expect the touchpad to beat the ipad 2 does it have the potential to become an ipad destroyer? I believe it does but as it stands right now that's not what it was made to be, right now its the 2nd best thing on the market, android is so fragmented and there are a ton of problems with it as well, and the playbook has been canceled.

The touchpad is far from perfect, it has a lot of work to push up in the market, but I think it can I believe it can. If you want an ipad 2 get the <<mod delete>> ipad 2 if you want something that's going to give you a better experience get the touchpad.

Edit: as far as the java-script score goes, if you knew anything about what that actually means you wouldn't care to much about it cause it doesn't matter. Like people say the playbook has a better score then the touchpad but its slower than the touchpad. I'm more interested in a true bench-marking app's running on it compared to the rest of the competition.

-Toaster
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/30/2011 at 09:05 AM. Reason: language
    splitsick likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    The Touchpad was announced in February. Nearly 5 months ago. HP said they wouldn't release it until it was perfect. They had plenty of time to get it right, but they didn't. It's buggy and has way too many glitches at the moment when compared to other equally priced tablets. If the software had all the kinks worked out people would have been much more forgiving.

This thing was supposed to be a new starting point for WebOS, and it needed to be perfect. Expectations were high and it failed to live up to them. At least this time hardware wise it has some power and good build quality behind it (though I detest piano black glossy finished on handheld devices with a passion). If they get the software fixed up in time they could start to turn things around. And by in time I mean less than a month, not by the end of the year. If it takes them that long you might as well hammer the coffin shut yourself.
    Do you remember the reviews for the iPad 2? They were saying that it was slightly different than iPad 1 but not a real upgrade....it's doing great in the market. Just because these reviews are negative does not mean the market will agree, I personally had a hands on experience with it and everything I experienced goes against these negative reviews and I have to say the consumer needs to use it before they judge.
    ariker01 likes this.
    HP could also be the victum of its own make up. They are a hardware company. The proof in that is the ability to start from scratch and create the hardware of the TouchPad so that you have a working model in just over six months. All hardware issues belong solely to HP.

What HP is struggling at is being a software company. That is something they have not always been good at. Palm is the software company and webOS is their creation. All software issues are placed at the feet of the Palm team.

It has only been a year since the purchase and they were trying to join forces and roll a product out at the same time. In the grande scheme, it is an impressive achievement. TouchPad2 is probably going to kick *** since they'll have more time to work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Do you remember the reviews for the iPad 2? They were saying that it was slightly different than iPad 1 but not a real upgrade....it's doing great in the market. Just because these reviews are negative does not mean the market will agree, I personally had a hands on experience with it and everything I experienced goes against these negative reviews and I have to say the consumer needs to use it before they judge.
    at the same time pre reviews were bad too, but pre never did good. I hope TP fares better for I love webOS inspite of always behind hardware and coming months for essential updates.
    thermodynamic and WarHorn79 like this.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast