Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    Oh really? Good luck with that. Stop lying to people please. You do not know they will be coming, and according to PreCentral's reviews, there are NO HOST CAPABILITIES on the microUSB out.
    You seriously need to go back and reread exactly what they wrote. They said that out of the box those capapbilities don't exist, but that they can be added.

Didn't somone say "stop lying to people please"?

Sage advice.
    glazedfaith likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    They said that out of the box those capapbilities don't exist, but that they can be added.
    can be != will 100% be, its a no in reality.
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    Excuse me, but may I interrrupt?

When you enter a forum for another device, and are determined to show how much "betterer mine is", you must go with what you've got.

Apple iPhans have "we sell more, we have more apps, and ours looks cooler".

Don't push them for more, or we'll hear how SJ says they're magical.
    I understand it's your MO to dismiss criticism of webOS-based products by derisively assigning labels on people but it's not just "iPhans" that are talking about the TouchPad's thickness, cheap build quality, OS hiccups, and poor app selection. It's nearly every review.
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Guess we're in the denial stage of grieving at the moment, anger next? I hope the next iteration is better too though ;p although the comments on poor performance and lack of GPU acceleration have made me second guess pre 3 pre-order though, they both have similar adreno chipsets so it is probable it won't be optimised either.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I understand it's your MO to dismiss criticism of webOS-based products by derisively assigning labels on people but it's not just "iPhans" that are talking about the TouchPad's thickness, cheap build quality, OS hiccups, and poor app selection. It's nearly every review.

All I got to say is, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may not be a duck and Steve Jobs is somehow behind it.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    The problem is when is price the same as the competition, expect to be compared point by point to the competition. Cheaper Price has nothing to do with being perceived as cheap or inferior. I have to wonder what business courses you took in uni/HS made you come up with this conclusion. If a cheaper device is good then the word wlil get out aka bang for your buck or cause the more expensive competition to reconsider their strategies. Considering Asus has been the only tablet manufacturer to take the chance of cheaper pricing with great success, your point in bold doesn't make sense
    that post you're replying to was made with tongue firmly in cheek.
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    All I got to say is, if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it may not be a duck and Steve Jobs is somehow behind it.
    i chocked!, hehe
    I use the camera on my EVO to take pictures of docs and upload them to my drop box. Would be worth it just for that. IMO
    Honestly, as someone who had webos for 2 years and was very active on this site, I can also say I understand the disappointment. I love the touchpad (and definitely am hoping I win the free one ) but...honestly webos 3.0 is in some ways.. A step down from webos 2.0 feature wise such as organizing pages and no tasks. The features of webos 3.0 compared now to upcoming os updates, seems so behind. The camera is only limited to video chat, Netflix status is unknown, i honestly can't see why i would replace my ipad with this and THAT really bothers me because i really was hoping to... But right now i can't. Now, hardware is solid so an update and some apps can easily bring it up to par. I suggest hp follow windows phones example of hitting hard with features and deep integration of social services. I also suggest some work on some of the UI. Some pages take up a full screen and they really could be better as popups. I think the biggest issue i really see, is like the original, the is is rushed and doesn't feel complete. After the Last time of taking a bet, ill wait. And that's what reviewers are probably feeling as well. This seems familiar.

jUst a FYI btw, in case anyone thinks im a troll. I am going to go play with a touchpad at best buy this weekend dispute its fallbacks i still want to use it in person. (only experience is SDK) i miss webos for some things so i need my card fix, though i am liking windows phone with mango
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    can be != will 100% be, its a no in reality.
    You really need to just quit with the constant negative posting on HP, and read what's being said.

User says that there's no doubt that there will be.

Second user pipes in that he's lying, that it cannot be done.

We all understand your enthusiasm and apparent need to be negative here, but you, and EvilKell are simply wrong. This can be done, in reality.
    Global Posts
    34 Global Posts
    i thought Enyo apps were hardware accelerated, so whats causing the sluggishness.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Actually, what I'm dismissing is the overwhelming enthusiasm against anything/everything WebOS related by those that come on here to do nothing but complain about them.

Yes, that includes you.
    GodShapedHole likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by zineesh View Post
    i thought Enyo apps were hardware accelerated, so whats causing the sluggishness.
    Apparently a guy from hp is saying its because CSS3 is not fully gpu accelerated, and a patch supposed to be released within next week or so.

We will know soon enough.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Staff Note:

May I take a moment and ask the posters in this thread to please take a moment and read the Letter to Our Members posted at the top of this forum? Discussions are ok... arguing and bickering isn't. Thank you....
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    that post you're replying to was made with tongue firmly in cheek.
    no comment... u have dug yourself into a ditch.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    i chocked!, hehe

Ditto LOL
    enough is enough you recon??
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Apotheker said that. Apotheker's an *****.
    Why do you think he was fired from his last CEO job? Most CEOs today are idiots!
    Quote Originally Posted by WebOSFan12 View Post
    Do you remember the reviews for the iPad 2? They were saying that it was slightly different than iPad 1 but not a real upgrade....it's doing great in the market. Just because these reviews are negative does not mean the market will agree, I personally had a hands on experience with it and everything I experienced goes against these negative reviews and I have to say the consumer needs to use it before they judge.
    Here here! Kinda like movie reviews...if the critics "hate it" I'm probably going to see the movie!
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    lag the device has at launch day --> those will be fixed in software update in the future
    Funny, I heard that before.

Issues with "too many card" errors. Those will be fixed through software updates to the OS. 2 years later, without using homebrew, its still very easy to run into situations where just opening a 2nd app can cause TMC errors.

no document editing apps --> those apps will be coming later in the summer
    Funny, I heard that before.

We were told within a short time of the Pre's launch we would see document editing in the App Catalog. Two+ years later.....

not enough apps --> those apps will come once devs see how awesome the touchpad is and the scale HP has. also, the device has all the apps i need right now for my purposes anyway
    Funny, I heard something similar to that before.

We were told that such an exciting, web based OS that was so easy to code for and whose language was known by a far greater scale than the languages used by other OS's would cause a huge influx of apps. Over 2+ years later, we have the fewest apps of any of the 5 major US mobile OS's. Windows Phone had more in 5 months then we've had in over 2 years now.

app reviewers giving it bad reviews --> reviews don't matter since you have to try one and see for yourself
    Funny, I heard something similar to that before.

Plastic casing and questionable build quality making the Pre feel a bit like a toy was scoffed as iPhone fanboyism concerning the Pre's build quality. Peoples first day of holding the phone was GREAT. Of course, then we had the issues of Oreo twisting Pre's that made those accusations a bit more curious. Suggestions that the phone had some hiccups or errors with too many cards were scoffed. On first use, none of us saw it, it must be fake! Of course, after using it for a week rather than 15 minutes those issues started becoming more evident.

Should you try a thing yourself before buying? ABSOLUTELY. But its ridiculous to think that when the majority of reviews all have the same experience when using the device heavily for a week+, not just for 30 minutes in their local best buy, that they're all just mistaken.

software problems in the future --> they will be fixed thanks to the homebrew community
    Wonderful for the niche amount of people that actually take the time and energy to homebrew. For myself, having to rely on other people to fix obvious or simple issues made by the manufacturer isn't a good thing and is a legitimate issue. MAJOR Kudos's to the homebrew community, they are a GREAT Bonus to those of us WebOS faithful...but that doesn't change that the fact they are almost required is a negative for HP.

device too expensive --> if it was cheaper in people's minds it will be not as valuable as an ipad
    The iPad, which upon first look for the average consumer seems very similar (More similar than the iPad2 would), is CHEAPER than the touchpad. Saying it won't be viewed as valuable as an iPad if its priced cheaper then one doesn't work.

You could say it may not be viewed as valuable as an iPad2. And you're right, nor should it be. The iPad2 is significantly thinner and lighter (you can say that "doesn't matter", but the large amount of people ditching iPad's for an iPad2 when that's one of the main upgrades says differently). The iPad2 has a far more robust environment. The iPad2 has a far more robust accessory ecosystem. The iPad2 has additional features like a rear camera built in. The iPad2 has an available way to do video out in multiple formats, the touchpad just possibly has the potential which may or may not ever be realized.

This isn't just about the touchpad. I think the Xoom is over priced...and you know what, if my memory serves many people on this very server suggested it was over priced when compared to the ipad2 as well. You don't want to significantly under cut yourself, but seeing how HP was aiming at last years iPad as their target to copy rather than the iPad2, then it would've been wiser to copy the iPad's current price not the newer model.

device too heavy --> a few ounces don't matter
    Apparently it does to consumers. Just saying "Hey, it doesn't matter" is idiotic. If your argument to consumers being unhappy about something is "Hey, it shouldn't matter, deal" then you've absolutely failed as a business man. Why do you think many people went from the iPad to the iPad2? Why do you think samsung COMPLETELY redid their Tab series after the iPad2 came out?

Why do people on this forum complain about 4" slab phones being "monsterous"? Obviously a few fractions of an inch shouldn't matter. Why do you think HP is pushing the small veer? A few fracions of an inch shouldn't matter. Why do you think the trend in all electronics has been to try and get lighter and thinner? Because it DOES matter to people.

fingerprint magnet --> buy a cover
    This is dumb, much like "Get a bumper" was dumb. I've never seen a single review, ever, that enjoyed glossy finger print magnet material. I've rarely ever seen a consumer that likes it. The only people that seem to like it are the various corporations that know they can get it for cheaper and make a bit more off of it. Saying "Go buy an accessory" doesn't change that its a negative compared to a tablet that DOESN'T make you feel the need to have to go buy a cover.

moving too slow on the software/hardware dev front --> hp just bought palm, so it takes some time
    Completely understandable. Unfortunately, also understandable is that people who are perspective buyers possibly aren't going to wait months and months to get a device that seems like its a first gen one again.

it's not selling enough --> the employees at at&t/verizon/sprint/walmart/best buy are biased and don't know what they're doing
    Yes, clearly, we can make an ENTIRE post that goes out of the way to excuse HP of every issue possible going so far to essentially say what consumers want doesn't matter and go buy an accessory...but if it doesn't sell it MUST be the employees faults.

Seriously, there are some things to really be happy about with the touchpad. Exhibition looks GREAT and its nice to see them finally expanding upon touchstone like originally hinted at 2 years ago. WebOS looks as amazing as we all hoped on a big screen. The once again knocked notifications out of the park. They managed to save the upswipe gesture even if we lost the others. They managed to get more apps at launch then honeycomb at least. Official facebook app at launch is nice. There are some definite pluses.

But the ridiculous over compensating of its flaws and irrational defenses, and frankly the pure historical ignorance and blind faith regarding issues that almost directly mimic the Pre launch baffle me.
    gabe2gg likes this.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast