Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 102
Like Tree78Likes
  1. #61  
    Aw, geez; the problem isn't that the "TP is a failure" - the problem is that those review devices, all of them, seemed to show, in the videos, some incredibly basic bugs and lags - when QuickOffice attemtps to load, and hangs in the unloaded card through the user opening several other cards, that's a problem - self initiated rotating displays - thats a huge bug,. etc, etc etc.

    Those devices should have been checked, double checked and triple checked for "operation" prior to shipping them to the reviewing media - this was a critical mistake by whomever is managing this at HP.

    For most of the videos, the UI was smooth and crisp, but, when the TP went rogue, it really didn't do it moderately.... and given the high hopes everyone has for it, the disappointment was a larger one, obviously.

    I saw another post here from someone who bought their TP and has it already, and he says its running smooth and clear, and posted a video of it - so, perhaps just those review units were the buggy ones?

    I dont know, but, stop shooting the messengers - those reviewers really did want to finally come up with a real challenger for the iPad/2 - but, with all of those bugs, it just wasn't in the cards.

    That update Kerris spoke about needs to get out there, fast, to minimize any possiblity of consumers and even more reviewers experiencing what the first reviewers did.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

    darkzone likes this.
  2. #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Aw, geez; the problem isn't that the "TP is a failure" - the problem is that those review devices, all of them, seemed to show, in the videos, some incredibly basic bugs and lags - when QuickOffice attemtps to load, and hangs in the unloaded card through the user opening several other cards, that's a problem - self initiated rotating displays - thats a huge bug,. etc, etc etc.

    Those devices should have been checked, double checked and triple checked for "operation" prior to shipping them to the reviewing media - this was a critical mistake by whomever is managing this at HP.

    For most of the videos, the UI was smooth and crisp, but, when the TP went rogue, it really didn't do it moderately.... and given the high hopes everyone has for it, the disappointment was a larger one, obviously.

    I saw another post here from someone who bought their TP and has it already, and he says its running smooth and clear, and posted a video of it - so, perhaps just those review units were the buggy ones?

    I dont know, but, stop shooting the messengers - those reviewers really did want to finally come up with a real challenger for the iPad/2 - but, with all of those bugs, it just wasn't in the cards.

    That update Kerris spoke about needs to get out there, fast, to minimize any possiblity of consumers and even more reviewers experiencing what the first reviewers did.
    Perhaps the demo units were still loaded with a lot of behind the scenes de-bugging tools?

    I don't know. From what I've seen it's crisp and fast.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by kjb86 View Post
    Perhaps the demo units were still loaded with a lot of behind the scenes de-bugging tools?

    I don't know. From what I've seen it's crisp and fast.
    Then somebody at hp needs to be fired. But i doubt it is the case, just too dumb a mistake to be made.

    ---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
  4. #64  
    Someone should be fired for sure, at least guy who sad it's not heavy and thick.
    ... yeah, and guy who sad lets price it like iPad2.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, you said it yourself: if you don't want a rear camera (or even a camera that functions outside of Skype), video output, apps to use, a responsive OS, or a modern form factor, the TouchPad is perfect for you.

    I think reviewers have to mention these things because the majority of their readers do care about them.
    Quite apart from how provocatively you have phrased your half-truths (video output could easily come as an accessory just like the one for the iPad; any app that wants to use it can make use of the camera, there just aren't any that do yet; TouchPad has more apps at start than Honeycomb does now; the OS seems responsive and fluid most of the time) I like how you are using the term "modern" in an attempt to sound even more derogatory and condescending than you already are - and you're not alone.

    "a modern form factor". Like what? The TouchPad is almost a carbon copy of the iPad, which was launched in 2010. Yeah, THAT long ago. I don't know anyone old enough to remember that time either.

    And keep in mind that the TouchPad's size, according to you, has not merely been "surpassed" or "outdone"; it isn't "dated" or even "outdated"; its shell design and dimensions doesn't feel "old" or - ironically - "last year" (which is, in fact, a fitting way to describe the actual matter of fact). Far from it! It is NOT MODERN!

    So way back in 2010, before the iPad 2 brought us enlightenment and freedom and sunlight, they didn't live in modern times but in some medieval dark age when tablets weighed 100g more or were a few millimeters thicker?
    Perhaps some ice-age that forced the primitives to huddle together around Touchstones for warmth?
    Simply amazing that people in these archaic times were able to live that way - and, more importantly, even had the will to live that way, if we may even call using one of these impossibly clunky devices "living", even though the ape-men of 2010, brutish animals that they were, could wield them with some degree of proficiency.
    MODERNITY, however - that is the year 2011 (or let's say spring and summer 2011, january and february was more like the early 18th century and the postmodern is said to plan an all-out attack using mirror-clad battle fractals furiously quoting Thomas Pynchon at anyone who dares oppose them for November) - is not populated by anyone who could see any use for primitive, pre-modern instruments such as this "TouchPad", right?

    pre-emptive "cool story bro" countermeasures: that line is like so 2009 dude.
    mafu6 and iverieli like this.
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    It seems like every major reviewer got PAID to criticize the touchpad.
    It is hard to see this statement anywhere and take it seriously, but after so many years of seeing certain products get consistently superb reviews and nearly every other product in existence get consistently inferior reviews it almost becomes a necessity as a tech lover to at the very least consider this as a valid possibility.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

  7. #67  
    I was actually gonna go with "u mad?"

    But, yes, every review I've read says the TouchPad is heavier, thicker, and feels cheaper than other tablets on the market. If you can think of a more suitable term for a 2011 design that is competitive with the tablets of 2010, I'd be happy to hear it.
  8. #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Lack of apps? Its a new platform for HP, and its going to take time for it to mature and grow, these things don't happen at launch day people..
    Hard to take you serious when you write things like this. WebOS is now 2.5 years old. App growth for the platform is pretty pathetic.
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by DeathsArrow View Post
    Hard to take you serious when you write things like this. WebOS is now 2.5 years old. App growth for the platform is pretty pathetic.
    Don't forget about this gem:

    HP is coming on strong in mobile applications, currently boasting more than 7,000 WebOS apps on its App Catalog. That pales in comparison with Apple and Android, but Duke said the essential mobile applications will be available to TouchPad customers at launch. "TouchPad has all the apps that most customers use most of the time," he said.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    I was actually gonna go with "u mad?"

    But, yes, every review I've read says the TouchPad is heavier, thicker, and feels cheaper than other tablets on the market. If you can think of a more suitable term for a 2011 design that is competitive with the tablets of 2010, I'd be happy to hear it.
    Honestly, that isnt the issue here - they are ALL subjective, and wil vary from user to user.

    The important parts of the review are those that demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the device, NOT how they think it looks or feels ...

    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

  11. Useraid's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #71  
    Yeah the whole experience is subjective, what do reviewers know anyway? Of course they were all given thick brown envelopes to keep quiet about the awesome potential of the device.

    It could have a monochrome screen and weigh 5kg and I'd still haul it around with me because nothing can dampen my rabid fanboism. Viva HPWebOS you can sell me any old hat. (forum RDF? ;p)
  12. #72  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    -What the heck is a few ounces? Ipad 1 sold pretty well at about the same size?!?!
    On the one hand, I agree with you and think that the weight of it should not be a bad thing because honestly what is a few ounces. On the other hand, you can't compare this device to one released over a year ago. It is now, not then, and the iPad 1 is no longer the competitor. That said, I don't see this as being an arguable issue at all, though people will make it so.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    -I had NO SLUGGISHNESS AT ALL.... NONE. I tried. I had 3 games going (stacked), a video preview, email stacked with two replies, bluetooth (synched with my pre-) card up and the calendar..... I tried to slow it down. No problems at all.
    I take no issue with this, as it is simply a personal experience.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    -Document editing will come...... it did with the Ipad which didn't have it at launch either..... that really stopped that product, didn't it?
    Again, we are forced to remember that the iPad 1 is not the competitor. The release-day iPad 2 is not even the competitor. The competitor is the iPad that you get right now. I realize you can't have the app-base that the iOS line has right off the bat, because, let's face it, 50% of those apps are pure garbage, and another 40% are fart apps. That notwithstanding, you still have to remember that you're releasing a device that you want to be "the other white meat", but you're not going to push to have equal features? Anything could happen with updates, 1, 3, or even 6 months from now, but too many times have features been promised at launch and not produced.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    -Video's looked great. Not sure what the Engadget review was talking about. Sure, if your REALLY into video and the differences he talked about are noticible to you, it may be a deal breaker. But for the average viewer it will be just fine.
    I'm not familiar with the Engadget review yet, so I will leave this alone, but it sounds like you're saying, "sure it's not as good, and if you're particular about things then that might bother you, but still, it's fine"

    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire11 View Post
    -Call forwarding paired first try and worked flawlessly.
    Glad to hear that.
  13. #73  
    Let's not forget that the reviews we have read over the past two days have been reviews that have been in the works for a week or more now. With that said, they have had time to experience these glaring issues.

    I don't think a sound judgment call can be made from a 30 minute visit at your local Best Buy or a couple of hours of playing around with it at home.

    The true test will be when it becomes a device you use on a daily basis.
    clevin likes this.
  14. #74  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Let's not forget that the reviews we have read over the past two days have been reviews that have been in the works for a week or more now. With that said, they have had time to experience these glaring issues.

    I don't think a sound judgment call can be made from a 30 minute visit at your local Best Buy or a couple of hours of playing around with it at home.

    The true test will be when it becomes a device you use on a daily basis.
    Thats wise word. The problem like Derek experienced won't be discovered in a 30minutes try out done by some people. Battery life can't be tested in under an hour. Comparison can not be done by looking at one product alone.

    I understand people want to defend the company or product they hold feelings to. But it is what it is, what we are arguing here really matters little. The reviews are there, and each every one of those has more influence than we combined.

    Now for actionable suggestions to HP

    lower the price by $50-100, and put ads on tv 10 times a night for 2 weeks straight.
  15. WarHorn79's Avatar
    Posts
    50 Posts
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    TouchPad2 is probably going to kick *** since they'll have more time to work on it.
    So many second chances. Are we already looking to the TouchPad2 the day before the 1 comes out? I would say its par for the course since we give Congress chance after chance after chance.
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats wise word. The problem like Derek experienced won't be discovered in a 30minutes try out done by some people. Battery life can't be tested in under an hour. Comparison can not be done by looking at one product alone.

    I understand people want to defend the company or product they hold feelings to. But it is what it is, what we are arguing here really matters little. The reviews are there, and each every one of those has more influence than we combined.

    Now for actionable suggestions to HP

    lower the price by $50-100, and put ads on tv 10 times a night for 2 weeks straight.
    Exactly.

    And it'd be one thing if it was just a couple of reviews that expressed concern but it was a major consistency across all reviews.
  17. #77  
    lag the device has at launch day --> those will be fixed in software update in the future

    no document editing apps --> those apps will be coming later in the summer

    not enough apps --> those apps will come once devs see how awesome the touchpad is and the scale HP has. also, the device has all the apps i need right now for my purposes anyway

    app reviewers giving it bad reviews --> reviews don't matter since you have to try one and see for yourself

    software problems in the future --> they will be fixed thanks to the homebrew community

    device too expensive --> if it was cheaper in people's minds it will be not as valuable as an ipad

    device too heavy --> a few ounces don't matter

    fingerprint magnet --> buy a cover

    moving too slow on the software/hardware dev front --> hp just bought palm, so it takes some time

    it's not selling enough --> the employees at at&t/verizon/sprint/walmart/best buy are biased and don't know what they're doing
  18. Useraid's Avatar
    Posts
    44 Posts
    Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    #78  
    I can't decide if post above is serious or tongue in cheek, gave me a good chuckle anyway .
  19. #79  
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Honestly, that isnt the issue here - they are ALL subjective, and wil vary from user to user.

    The important parts of the review are those that demonstrate the advantages and disadvantages of the device, NOT how they think it looks or feels ...

    Excuse me, but may I interrrupt?

    When you enter a forum for another device, and are determined to show how much "betterer mine is", you must go with what you've got.

    Apple iPhans have "we sell more, we have more apps, and ours looks cooler".

    Don't push them for more, or we'll hear how SJ says they're magical.
  20. gabe2gg's Avatar
    Posts
    150 Posts
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    lag the device has at launch day --> those will be fixed in software update in the future

    no document editing apps --> those apps will be coming later in the summer

    not enough apps --> those apps will come once devs see how awesome the touchpad is and the scale HP has. also, the device has all the apps i need right now for my purposes anyway

    app reviewers giving it bad reviews --> reviews don't matter since you have to try one and see for yourself

    software problems in the future --> they will be fixed thanks to the homebrew community

    device too expensive --> if it was cheaper in people's minds it will be not as valuable as an ipad

    device too heavy --> a few ounces don't matter

    fingerprint magnet --> buy a cover

    moving too slow on the software/hardware dev front --> hp just bought palm, so it takes some time

    it's not selling enough --> the employees at at&t/verizon/sprint/walmart/best buy are biased and don't know what they're doing
    The problem is when is price the same as the competition, expect to be compared point by point to the competition. Cheaper Price has nothing to do with being perceived as cheap or inferior. I have to wonder what business courses you took in uni/HS made you come up with this conclusion. If a cheaper device is good then the word wlil get out aka bang for your buck or cause the more expensive competition to reconsider their strategies. Considering Asus has been the only tablet manufacturer to take the chance of cheaper pricing with great success, your point in bold doesn't make sense
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Posting Permissions