Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    Most of us here on the forum are here b/c we are webOS fans. Reality is reality. Touchpad has bugs to work out, it's thicker, and heavier, and many report it as being sluggish at many points of navigation. You can't change that by fussing at the critics and playing the apologist.

If we want HDMI for presentations, get a laptop? Really, is that what the IT Director is thinking if he's about to make an enterprise purchase for his division? Is that what I'm thinking about when I'm considering playing a video on my TV? Oh wait, I have a laptop already. Three of them.
    Went to Best Buy an played with a TP for about an hour, then the Ipad2 for some time. A couple of points:

-What the heck is a few ounces? Ipad 1 sold pretty well at about the same size?!?! For a small few I am sure its a big deal, but its a negligible difference and in no way a deal breaker, especially when its probably going to replace someones laptop.

-I had NO SLUGGISHNESS AT ALL.... NONE. I tried. I had 3 games going (stacked), a video preview, email stacked with two replies, bluetooth (synched with my pre-) card up and the calendar..... I tried to slow it down. No problems at all.

-Document editing will come...... it did with the Ipad which didn't have it at launch either..... that really stopped that product, didn't it?

-Video's looked great. Not sure what the Engadget review was talking about. Sure, if your REALLY into video and the differences he talked about are noticible to you, it may be a deal breaker. But for the average viewer it will be just fine.

-Call forwarding paired first try and worked flawlessly.

Bottom line will be the apps. They get those, and its on. The main thing I think the reviewers (CNET, Engadget, PC World) are missing is the multi-tasking. Sure, it didn't save the Pre and they reference it, but I REALLY think they underestimate how much it will be a part of the average persons use on a tablet. Just like desktops became peoples main devices and its hard to imagine owning one without true multitasking these days, the same will be with tablets that will in most ways replace the desktop. I fly a lot, and to this day people will see me at a website while airborne (on my pre-) and ask if I'm online. I just say no and explain how I just load a webpage early in the day, leave that card up, and when I have time go back and read it. Sure, you can basically do that on the Ipad, but not nearly as well with calendars, movies or whatever is on the docket that day. I had done all of the above to try and crash the TP, and when I went to the Ipad, there really is no way to see what your running and flow between them. It just always bogged down hitting the home button, it totally felt old school after having about 6 or 7 cards open on the TP. I knew that the Ipad couldn't do it obviously, but I didn't expect it to feel so important. Sure, on a phone multi-tasking is a nice feature, but not a deal breaker, its just a phone and not THAT useful enough to want to give in on the shortcomings to keep it for most. On a tablet...... I think its a way bigger deal, I could imagine working with all my cards up and just leaving things running/ stacked all day and being able to stop/start backup right where I left off as the days flow allowed. When I tried to imagine that on the Ipad I really couldn't. Anyways, I don't have the dough, but if I did, prob the TP and cross my fingers the apps and couple of upgrades came through. I know that hopes for a lot, but the flow of the device is just hard to turn down. And FWIW, the Best Buy guy who got the TP, once he saw how I was using the cards, he stood there and watched me play with it for a while. He seemed a little dumbfounded and was a little surprised, especially when I asked him to call me to test the call forwarding. He was like, "I had no idea that thing could do all that!" He was impressed, and recognized the benefits right away. If the average consumer can recognize it once shown like he did, they will sell a few units for sure. Hopefully its enough to get the app ball rolling big time.
    Last edited by Spitfire11; 06/30/2011 at 01:30 AM.
  3.    #43  
    Like WebOSFan said the majority of people aren't going to be reading Engadget and other news outlets for computer related news. They are going to be watching the ads on the TV, and if HP can pull the ads off correctly, and convince people to buy then it should have no problem selling.

-Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    Like WebOSFan said the majority of people aren't going to be reading Engadget and other news outlets for computer related news. They are going to be watching the ads on the TV, and if HP can pull the ads off correctly, and convince people to buy then it should have no problem selling.

-Toaster
    Thanks, ADs are Key. Apple can convince people to buy their tablet that doesn't have a full web browsing experience which is a huge reason people buy tablets...HP can kill this will a flawless execution of marketing.
    HDMI out is bigger than most people think, and for me crucial on a tablet. Its the ability to load a presentation/video onto my ultraportable device that I created on my pc and then just taking that instead on a business trip or just out the door rather than a full laptop.
    Honest to goodness, I will say this time and time again: I don't care what the reviewers say, because they are constantly comparing it to the iPad. Apple everything is a standard, because face it: they are awesomely made, and really sexy. But! I have always hated (personally) their single-tasking behavior. iOS is not a functional operating system to me.

WebOS is super amazingly cool (I couldn't think of the right combination of adjectives, so I went with that). I am a fan boy because I like my operating system to be functional, and useful. I am a fan boy because WebOS works the way I work, and functions the way I function. I can visualize my entire work space, and simply be more productive. The End.

To me, the price is worth it to have a functional webOS tablet. I know it will get better. Plus I know it will become a stellar platform once the homebrew community gets its grubby little hands on it. I mean, a bare bones Pre is sluggish and awkward at times, but a fancy, homebrewed Pre is actually quite incredible.

So, troll on, trolls! Because at least my tablet won't just be a vanity item, it will be a swiss army knife of sexy WebOSness.

HAHA! "fan boy" without spaces is apparently a swear on this forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post

Oh wait, I have a laptop already. Three of them.
    I don't know the exact amount nor the intensity of sarcasm that was used in that phrase...but, that is a really good point. I have a netbook that has video out. I won't get rid of it ever. I will be using it for backup for my photographs while I am out on shoots, and if I reeeally need to do a presentation I will use it for that. I consider my (future) Touchpad MY device. This will be my digital journal of sorts. It will be my little buddy that connects me to the outside world with a super cool interface....maybe I am just optimistic. Maybe I love WebOS so much because it is kindof like my dream OS. The kind I have wanted since I was a kid. Maybe I am tired and should sleep.

Most importantly, I like what was previously stated, keeping all your active cards open to be read at a later time. Damn. Just thinking of stacking all my .pdfs that I need to read, right next to my Evernote (eventually) app. Using it as a reader alone is very user friendly and makes me smile.
    Global Posts
    570 Global Posts
    So for all of the haters out there, take a chill pill, and get off your high horse and wait for the touchpad to grow into the market.

-Toaster
    Visor/Sprint Springboard Expansion Module > Visor Platinum > Tungsten E > Centro (work) > Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, you said it yourself: if you don't want a rear camera (or even a camera that functions outside of Skype), video output, apps to use, a responsive OS, or a modern form factor, the TouchPad is perfect for you.
    a difference of 0.2" in thickness makes it obsolete?
  10.    #50  
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    a difference of 0.2" in thickness makes it obsolete?
    If it was .01" off from apples ipad it'd be obsolete.
    Don't know why HP Germany shiped them out early but I am lucky to say,
    I got it about 24h ago.

i don't wanna write a full review, there are a lot out there by now just point out my impression.

It is a solid build.
    It has a plastic, little bit slippery, back which is a fingerprint magnet. But are you looking at the back all the time??? Or running around holding it up? NO. So I don't care about that. It feels solid, no crunchy sound when you bend it like the early pre's had it.
    I will get the cover for it soon anyway so that doesn't really matter.
    As for booting it up the first time, after loggin it started to pull most of my apps that I had on the phone. Turns out the dev can say if he lets you install it on both or just one device.
    And I am ok with that, cause after trying out some mojo apps its a little weird to just have the reduces size. While I was waiting for the apps to install I surfed the web, and tried FB and so on. I experienced a little lag but once the install was complete ( some 50 apps). There was no more lagging! Smooth navigation and app switching.
    As for the calendar, hooked to exchange. It takes 4s to start into day view. and another 3-4s to switch around. Yes that is not insant, but I haven't seen a crash or major lag.

I was impressed with the deepth of synergy. Skype works really nice and all my messages where there too, combined into one view, including SMS from the phone (Pre Plus 2.1) thoose the pulled via the backup, I didn't instantly see new one there.
    Bluetooth pairing works well, no connection loss good quality. Its just like a headphone extention really.

What I have to agree is, there is no clock or calculator to be found.
    And there is that bug with the music player. I tried to drag and drop but the play doesn't show anything?!? That needs to be fixed!

So thats my view on some issues.
    Over all I don't regret the buy and will not give it back

And for a question I read in another post, portrait works with no lag either.
    kkhanmd likes this.
    It seems like every major reviewer got PAID to criticize the touchpad.
    You can't improve if you don't see the problems.

Attitudes like this is whats killing the webOS in general public.

Your love for webOS is commendable, but you are preventing it from seeing the problems and going on to succeed.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    at the same time pre reviews were bad too, but pre never did good. I hope TP fares better for I love webOS inspite of always behind hardware and coming months for essential updates.
    Actually, the Pre was Sprint's fastest selling smartphone ever (at the time, dunno about now.)

It sold absolutely fantastically for the first week or so, and then people realized all the glaring hardware faults and bugs and started telling their friends, and it shut down the sales. The Pre had mediocre reviews before launch, too. Maybe not universally, but from a lot of reviewers.

If the buyers of the Touchpad don't tell all their friends that it sucks, and to be honest I doubt anyone will find anything wrong with it once they're playing with it and having fun with their new toy, sales will not shut down in the same way.

So if the touchpad (with a pretty decent advertising campaign) STARTS OUT with as much steam as the terribly-advertised PRE did, we'll see a good launch. A lot of people are tired of seeing android tab after android tab. It's hard to choose one from another, but when something fresh comes in, and you already know you DON'T want an iPad2, you'll get what stands out from the pack - the HP TouchPad. It might not be perfect, but it catches peoples' eye.
    I have said many times that I am NOT a "Tablet guy". I can't figure out how I would ever use one.

However, I certainly realize that the devices is imperfect. So what? If you are an early adopter of anything.....be ready for imperfection. Apple is brilliant in 1) marketing "cool" and 2) BEING FIRST.

When you are first, there is no comparison and thus imperfections are just that.

I would suggest that the size is of little consequence to me.

If you want this device, get it. Do so with open eyes and be REASONABLY patient with updates of software glitches / upgrades.

It appears to be a good device. It will not likely change the world or even your life.

But, please....PLEASE do not whine about what OTHER people think of the machine. HP is not going to punt because initial reviews from tech writers is less than sparkling.
    oceanrealm likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Maybe all of them are telling the truth. If it walks like a duck, quacks like duck, its probably a duck
    I'll be more inclined to listen to what people who own the device have to say about it. Reviewers are usually just rushed with rose colored pre-conceived notions of what a tablet should be.. aka Ipad2. Sure the Touchpad may have some lag and bugs. Does that make it unusable? Is the lag so terrible that it takes away from the user experience? Thats yet to be seen. Is there really any difference between an app that loads a bitmap first as opposed to a glowing icon? That is where developers should have copied Apple. Who cares if it loads the same speed, just throw up a bitmap and the majority of the people will be happy into thinking its loading faster. Lol.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Weaser999 View Post
    I'll be more inclined to listen to what people who own the device have to say about it. Reviewers are usually just rushed with rose colored pre-conceived notions of what a tablet should be.. aka Ipad2. Sure the Touchpad may have some lag and bugs. Does that make it unusable? Is the lag so terrible that it takes away from the user experience? Thats yet to be seen. Is there really any difference between an app that loads a bitmap first as opposed to a glowing icon? That is where developers should have copied Apple. Who cares if it loads the same speed, just throw up a bitmap and the majority of the people will be happy into thinking its loading faster. Lol.
    Did you see the engadget video?
  17.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    Did you see the engadget video?
    The engadget video was REALLY biased towards the negative side of things. I urge you to go take a look at the tablet yourself. Then make a decision if you are going to buy it or not. Maybe you don't like the touchpad, get an ipad 2 or android tablet then..

-Toaster
    The engadget video was REALLY biased towards the negative side of things.
    What exactly did engadget do to be biased towards the negative side of thing?

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    All of us are biased to a certain extent by our life experiences. Read the reviews but then go try out the Touchpad for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    Apotheker said that. Apotheker's an *****.
    No, guy just tried to be positive, and to support new branch of HP. But, Jon and guys made him looks stupid. I hope he'll kick some ***** because of this.
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast