Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree78Likes
    I'm actually going to have to agree with the OP. Dont get me wrong, the touchpad does disappoint, just not as excruciatingly as the reviews make it out to. If anyone wants to see a disappointment, look up the original Pre- release, or even the Pre+. The touchpad seems to be everything we were thinking of. It has a few glaring shortcomings (doc editting), but honestly, thats about it. Rear facing video camera... Really? Yeah it would be nice to have, but other than taking stalker pictures, who in their right mind would use one of those in public? Anyway, yes, it is a shortcoming of the Touchpad, but sheesh, its no game-changer. Hardware? Yes, rock solid. Hold it in your hands for a second. It looks and feels completely unibody and secure. Not more nor less than any other tablet i've held, metal or plastic. App stability... Really? Ever used an android device for more than an hour? App count: yes. Thats a glaring shortcoming, but anyone expecting over 9000 apps for the Touchpad at launch has obviously not come to grips with reality anyway.

Yeah, i'll admit I'm bias, but Jeez. Its like every official review I read/watch can ONLY focus on the negative. I have yet to read a review outside of webosroundup that has anything positive to say. PreCentral's review (while fair) seems neutral at best. Which is fine, thats their objective view I guess.

Anyway, I'm done ranting. Here's my review: I thinks its a fantastic device, in MY OPINION. You should try it and then see what you think... *gasp* for yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    at the same time pre reviews were bad too, but pre never did good. I hope TP fares better for I love webOS inspite of always behind hardware and coming months for essential updates.
    But TouchPad has a few things the Pre didn't:

A marketing department the size of a mid-sized company.

The ability to literally print hardware. (pun)

A company that sells end-to-end solutions.

Palm relied on the good graces of the telecom companies. HP could just freaking buy one if it needed to. Palm was selling a product; HP is selling a solution. Whatever trends Palm set were rendered mute one year ago.

This is a different ball game now.
    pre, pre plus, pre2 and veer didnt exactly sell well either.....

i bought my pre plus and veer because it was dirt cheap.
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    Just be glad no one started with the headline HP Touchpad: Crashes Like Nothing Else.
    This is typical of any WebOS product. Over-promise and underdeliver. No one is being paid. This is just the harsh reality when something you've vest hope in doesn't pan out. HP had a chance to put words into action. They did it part of it and the rest didn't have enough follow through.
    WarHorn79 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    So I don't think the TouchPad fails as a device. It fails as the device they expected it to be.
    Which was an an Ipad 4 running webOS on a 0.24" panel with 382,516 native apps
    Sapient2k7 likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by toasterthegamer View Post
    *sighs* People expect the touchpad to beat the ipad 2 does it have the potential to become an ipad destroyer? I believe it does but as it stands right now that's not what it was made to be, right now its the 2nd best thing on the market, android is so fragmented and there are a ton of problems with it as well, and the playbook has been canceled.

The touchpad is far from perfect, it has a lot of work to push up in the market, but I think it can I believe it can. If you want an ipad 2 get the <<mod delete>> ipad 2 if you want something that's going to give you a better experience get the touchpad.

Edit: as far as the java-script score goes, if you knew anything about what that actually means you wouldn't care to much about it cause it doesn't matter. Like people say the playbook has a better score then the touchpad but its slower than the touchpad. I'm more interested in a true bench-marking app's running on it compared to the rest of the competition.

-Toaster
    Playbook is canceled? What sites are you reading? Where have you based the playbook being slower than the touchpad. The problem with the playbook is no email/PIM/apps/limited bluetooth support. Also where have you seen that the playbook performs worse than the touchpad?
    Last edited by bevcraw; 06/30/2011 at 09:06 AM. Reason: language in quoted text
    The problem is that Apple is over a year ahead in this market which has made them the 'benchmark'. Every tablet that's not Apple gets reviews in a range from 'meh' to 'it's alright I guess, but...'. And each tablet has it's own parts in which it's considered 'less good than Apple's offering'.

I feel the PlayBook has better hardware than the TP. Surely more complete (has 2 cameras and GPS and overall better build quality). In the software department however I think HP has the better offering.

Still, nobody has managed to come up with a device that's a true competitor for the iPad 2. And the iPad 3 is probably going to widen the gap even.

I don't like the iPad myself but this is the reality we live in at the moment. For 'Joe User' the iPad is better than any other tablet. There's no way around it. And the reviews reflect this by torching the PlayBook and TouchPad and most Android tablets (the best ones get the 'it's ok but...' treatment).

I do believe the TouchPad is the beginning of something beautiful. I'm sure both WebOS and new hardware releases in the future will strenghten HP's position.

Just my 2 cents.
    My shiny new TouchPad apps: Scientific RPN Calculator HD - Screamager HD
    thermodynamic and WarHorn79 like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post
    The problem is that Apple is over a year ahead in this market which has made them the 'benchmark'. Every tablet that's not Apple gets reviews in a range from 'meh' to 'it's alright I guess, but...'. And each tablet has it's own parts in which it's considered 'less good than Apple's offering'.

I feel the PlayBook has better hardware than the TP. Surely more complete (has 2 cameras and GPS and overall better build quality). In the software department however I think HP has the better offering.

Still, nobody has managed to come up with a device that's a true competitor for the iPad 2. And the iPad 3 is probably going to widen the gap even.

I don't like the iPad myself but this is the reality we live in at the moment. For 'Joe User' the iPad is better than any other tablet. There's no way around it. And the reviews reflect this by torching the PlayBook and TouchPad and most Android tablets (the best ones get the 'it's ok but...' treatment).

I do believe the TouchPad is the beginning of something beautiful. I'm sure both WebOS and new hardware releases in the future will strenghten HP's position.

Just my 2 cents.
    Very well said. I agree 100%.
    This post is of my personal opinion and not that of my employer, its affiliates, or related partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Well, you said it yourself: if you don't want a rear camera (or even a camera that functions outside of Skype), video output, apps to use, a responsive OS, or a modern form factor, the TouchPad is perfect for you.

I think reviewers have to mention these things because the majority of their readers do care about them.
    Actually, that's nowhere near what "he said". He didn't say that he didn't want apps to use, a responsive OS, or a modern form factor.

I suspect he will get a camera that functions outside of Skype, a responsive OS, and a modern form factor.

<<edited by staff>>
    Last edited by HelloNNNewman; 06/30/2011 at 12:42 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    The Touchpad was announced in February. Nearly 5 months ago. HP said they wouldn't release it until it was perfect. They had plenty of time to get it right, but they didn't. It's buggy and has way too many glitches at the moment when compared to other equally priced tablets. If the software had all the kinks worked out people would have been much more forgiving.
    What bugs and kinks? Specifics please...
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    at the same time pre reviews were bad too, but pre never did good. I hope TP fares better for I love webOS inspite of always behind hardware and coming months for essential updates.
    How can WebOS be behind in hardware? It's an OS...
    WarHorn79 likes this.
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hparsons View Post
    What bugs and kinks? Specifics please...
    have you read any reviews today?
    WarHorn79 likes this.
    Global Posts
    279 Global Posts
    Let's step back for a sec to consider a few points.

The TouchPad is being measured against what's in the marketplace now, not what was on the market a year or two ago. That's the TP's competition and that's what customers are comparing against. The critic's job is to be objective and point these things out, no matter how painful to loyal followers. The critic's expectations are based on how they feel HP should have performed in comparison to the competition. Sometimes critics all agree on certain points and sometimes they all have different opinions.

Next - many here are not exactly objective. It hurts to see something less than positive about something we love. Some of us seem to have placed our views of the TP up on a very high pedestal well before it was released.

Back to the critics/reviewers - I've never known of everybody to always agree with all critics and what they write. A critic may seem rather harsh about an aspect that others simply don't care about. It's like how movie critics slam a comedy that breaks all sorts of revenue records and is funny as heck. If people love the movie, who cares what the critics say? That is, unless the movie producer was looking to win awards.

Bottom line - some of us will be completely happy with the TouchPad. Some are going to be disappointed and have to make the decision whether to buy it or hold off. As customers, we have to make our own personal decisions whether it's worth spending $500+ on the TP and accessories. HP will measure success based on their sales and market share (along with other metrics, like return rate).

There's absolutely nothing wrong with sharing opinions of what should have been done better. It's not done to insult HP but to tell them what they need to hear if they truly wish to be at the top of the market as they claim they desire. This environment is truly survival of the fittest. HP needs to strive for excellence or they will face mediocrity... or even failure.

I lost count of how many reviews said they hoped HP would hit a homerun. Nobody wants them to fail (with the possible exception of Apple).
    Quote Originally Posted by zerohaste View Post
    The Touchpad was announced in February. Nearly 5 months ago. HP said they wouldn't release it until it was perfect.
    Apotheker said that. Apotheker's an *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by gabe2gg View Post
    have you read any reviews today?
    Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by SirataXero View Post
    App stability... Really? Ever used an android device for more than an hour?
    REALLY! Android reminds me of windows95, maybe 98. For the short while I owned one, it seemed to reboot no less than 3 times a day. Often during phone calls!
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    REALLY! Android reminds me of windows95, maybe 98. For the short while I owned one, it seemed to reboot no less than 3 times a day. Often during phone calls!
    Blame the phone manufacture, not Android.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    I have an android tablet already, and yes the hardware is great the OS though is completely trash imo. I shouldn't have to reboot my tablet 100 times a day because an app crashed wrong, or the OS is slow and the only way to fix it is to reboot.

-Toaster
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMarco View Post

Just my 2 cents.
    Going to post this in a new thread but think about this :
    Once the massive advertisement campaign starts, these reviews will look silly. The market will be capitalized like HP wants it to be and the Touchpad will be a success. I think people are missing the big picture here, 99% of the world doesn't read Engadget and many will buy the Touchpad simply due to marketing, which HP is hiding right now and is about to blanket all the airwaves.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast