77 55.00%
  • Samsung shouldnt make TP's

14 10.00%
  • Dont care, just give me a Sammy TP

35 25.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Turboladdade View Post
    I think you're mistaken. There's two types of customers. People who want iPads, and people who want any tablet so long as the price is right. Android sales are better than TouchPad, but not that much better, and there are a ton more tablets that cost much less than the TouchPad running Android, whereas TouchPad is/was the only webOS tablet on the market. A $199 or $299 webOS tablet I think would be a success, even if down-specced a bit from the TouchPad. HP just priced it totally wrong. The TouchPad should have been $299 - $399 from the beginning, not $499 and $599.

I'm an Apple fan and Mac OS/iOS devotee, but I do believe webOS itself is superior to Android. People just need to get it into their hands. This firesale might be the best thing to happen to webOS yet.
    The problem is, most of the "priced right" tablets truly are pieces of garbage, much more so than the Touchpad. And no company is going to produce a $200-$250 product and sell it initially for $299. First small discount and you're already losing money or breaking even.

There's actually tablets out there in that priced right category that perform worse than my HTC Thunderbolt. For $99 the Touchpad is a sure buy. But it could never sell low realistically from scratch, companies just don't operate that way. And if you get too close to the iPad price, you get caught in the Apple effect of being so close, might as well go all the way.

I have various pieces of tech, all of which I find useful in one way or the other, the Touchpad included even though I'm not keeping mine for long. I do prefer iOS over WebOS but WebOS over Android. But I'm a technerd as well. Joe Public don't know about Touchpads in general, most tablets are just iPads from different companies to them.

As for the Touchpad sales being better, do you mean before or after the firesale?
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    The problem is, most of the "priced right" tablets truly are pieces of garbage, much more so than the Touchpad. And no company is going to produce a $200-$250 product and sell it initially for $299. First small discount and you're already losing money or breaking even.
    I disagree again, I know what the real garbage ones are, the Chinese Huawei comes to mind. But take the ViewSonic gtablet, that retails for under $299. It's one of the more popular Android tablets, even with literally no advertising, just because its priced right AND comes from a major brand name. It's possible to build these things and price them right. The OS they run is irrelevant. This is not a webOS vs. Android issue. This is a pocketbook vs. value issue.

There's actually tablets out there in that priced right category that perform worse than my HTC Thunderbolt. For $99 the Touchpad is a sure buy. But it could never sell low realistically from scratch, companies just don't operate that way. And if you get too close to the iPad price, you get caught in the Apple effect of being so close, might as well go all the way.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here. If it costs HP $250 to make an inferior TouchPad, how is pricing it on-par with the iPad a winning strategy, even if it were running Android? Surely they could have priced it at $349 let's say, right from the start. Right now, ecosystem growth is more important than individual product margins.

I have various pieces of tech, all of which I find useful in one way or the other, the Touchpad included even though I'm not keeping mine for long. I do prefer iOS over WebOS but WebOS over Android. But I'm a technerd as well. Joe Public don't know about Touchpads in general, most tablets are just iPads from different companies to them.
    And again, could care less about Android. The point of my post was to rebut the position that TouchPad sales were somehow bad *because* of webOS, or that no webOS tablet could sell. I think this is false.

As for the Touchpad sales being better, do you mean before or after the firesale?
    The firesale is good for the webOS ecosystem. With a userbase that has exploded practically overnight, it may be just the breaking point webOS needed to be taken more seriously by devs and third party manufacturers, especially those now leery of Google since the Moto Mobility purchase.
  3.    #43  
    I wonder if Sammy buys webOS will there be a fire sale for the 7 inch unannounced Opal?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123