77 55.00%
  • Samsung shouldnt make TP's

14 10.00%
  • Dont care, just give me a Sammy TP

35 25.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by BMIC50 View Post
    Even if Samsung does make webOS devices, which I don't see the value of at the moment,
    Please, can you explain what "value" means?
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    Please, can you explain what "value" means?
    Value for Samsung to make the hardware for software they dont control (which I hope HP doesnt relenquish) when they are doing well with Android. Value for HP as a hardware maker to let another hardware manufacturer show them how to make sexy hardware. Value for the consumers to have another stop in the path of software upgrades. And lastly, value for webOS to have a manufacturer who's goal is to churn out hardware (I am not blind as to why they do it, but I believe it causes confusion to the consumers because it saturates the market with too many choices that ends up leapfrogging the last valid entry) with little regard to support that hardware throughout the 2 yr typical contract.
    Treo 300->Treo 600->Treo 650->Treo 700p-> Palm Pre-> Samsung Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch (32GB Launch-day Touchpad sustains my webOS need for now)
    OK, I don't agree, but it's how you see it.
  4.    #24  
    key maybe to get key components from Samsung for future TP while giving them license for free for WebOS for TV and fridges.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  5.    #25  
    I have feeling, Samsung is going to make webOS TV and fridges. I hope H/P gets some key components from Samsung like super amoled plus for tab in return.
    Global Posts
    828 Global Posts
    I'm telling you guys... the wording about licensing pretty much said they dont want to be 1 of 5-6 OS's which is exactly what Samsung & HTC is...

If you really think it out, for its Ecosystem, Prior history with Palm & beautiful HW (not including their crappy Android Phone) Sony is the best fit!!!
    Follow me on Twitter : MrKal_El
    I can't see HP - a hardware vendor first & the world's ;argest technology company - outsource WebOS to someone that will would competing devices. I can see them leveraging a Samsung on things like TV's and other appliances. I do like the Sony partnership - maybe the PS4 running with WebOS on it, or a patch for PS3.

HP is looking for partners to take WebOS in directions/markets that HP doesn't play in. Per Todd Bradley:

“Our focus always has been to make webOS available to partners that expand the ecosystem, and we will continue to be open to that,” Bradley said. Of course, Bradley doesn’t need a reminder that licensing an operating system while using it in one’s own products can be a tricky proposition. Bradley learned that firsthand during his own stint as head of Palm. Rather than license the OS to companies that would compete head-on with HP’s webOS products, Bradley suggests that the company is most interested in licensing to companies that would take webOS in a new direction.

“That’s exactly what we would look for, someone who would go in spaces that we are not in,” Bradley said.

I think they will license to an auto manufacture also.
    Last edited by Midway99; 07/07/2011 at 07:31 PM.
  8.    #28  
    Car, TV, and webOS fridges is what we need.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Car, TV, and webOS fridges is what we need.
    I wouldn't want to be in a car that's having a Luna restart.
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by pdaneophyte View Post
    I wouldn't want to be in a car that's having a Luna restart.
    YOu know I hate ford sync but atleast it doesnt restart in the middle of my directions, yes it has to be really really stable webOS, which doesnt exist right?
    lol... funny you mention it cause I just got a new Explorer with MFT and on the forums Ford is having a bad time with MFT for many issues, including reboots. Funny cause when it reboots, it says it is doing system maintenance .

It's been considered the main reason why in the JD powers rating if fell from top 5... to 23rd!! I have a few glitches... but we're waiting on software update they say at end of July... like HP update

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    YOu know I hate ford sync but atleast it doesnt restart in the middle of my directions, yes it has to be really really stable webOS, which doesnt exist right?
  12.    #32  
    Hey I wasnt too far off in my old old thread
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    First off, I don't think a computer hardware company is going to have another computer hardware company design and build its hardware.

Second, I think any Samsung webOS device will be branded as a Samsung device. The HP branding will appear thoughout the OS itself. Though it is not out of the realm of possibility. My first iPod I bought from HP and it has both Apple and HP branding on the outside.

And HP is getting out of the hardware business.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post

And HP is getting out of the hardware business.
    This is an entirely different case. For the HP iPod, it was still manufactured by Apple, just had special etching for sale by HP. There have been other special iPods too, like the [RED] and U2 iPods.

A better example would be when Motorola actually manufactured Macintosh computers, they had "Motorola" labels on the outside, and the computer software continued to say Apple Mac OS, because while the machines were not manufactured by Apple and cosmetically bore no resemblance to any of Apple's products, the software was unchanged.

This is probably what would happen with a third party hardware manufacturer.
    Another Example:

[url= Sells Samsung Q30 as Latitude X1[/url]

Regardless, it seems HP is simply not interested in having anything to do with the hardware.

So Samsung device with "webOS Powered" etchings is probably what will happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsentell View Post
    Right, but Google is not a hardware manufacturer. HP is.
    What a difference a day makes..... (or a few days in this case)
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Samsung device with webOS, or HP webOS is not that different from Samsung with Bada or Samsung with Touchsense UI.

Do hope they make a vertical slider with a good screen and a good camera - like the Pre3 I will never have.
    People aren't interested in WebOS devices at a decent price. That's why Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola or KFC are NOT going to be interested in buying a WebOS license, at all. The only thing they would be interested in at all would be the patent portfolio, nothing more, nothing less.
    Quote Originally Posted by neller2000 View Post
    People aren't interested in WebOS devices at a decent price. That's why Samsung, HTC, Sony, Motorola or KFC are NOT going to be interested in buying a WebOS license, at all. The only thing they would be interested in at all would be the patent portfolio, nothing more, nothing less.
    I think you're mistaken. There's two types of customers. People who want iPads, and people who want any tablet so long as the price is right. Android sales are better than TouchPad, but not that much better, and there are a ton more tablets that cost much less than the TouchPad running Android, whereas TouchPad is/was the only webOS tablet on the market. A $199 or $299 webOS tablet I think would be a success, even if down-specced a bit from the TouchPad. HP just priced it totally wrong. The TouchPad should have been $299 - $399 from the beginning, not $499 and $599.

I'm an Apple fan and Mac OS/iOS devotee, but I do believe webOS itself is superior to Android. People just need to get it into their hands. This firesale might be the best thing to happen to webOS yet.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast