Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    @mosdl: Yes, those things factor in as well, but then HP consistenly using old versions of webkit hurts all those things as well (except memory and network conditions). And actually, it's like saying a browser sucks because it is consistenly slower than the other browsers.
    In my experience with complex web apps, Javascript is never the issue. Browsers get faster, but it shaves a few ms which makes very little difference. Often enough network performance is what slows down webpage loading the most.

The issue with the Touchpad seems to be related to garbage collection issues, which comes from the multi-tasking aspect of webOS. I believe the PlayBook had these issues too from what I read.

Should HP have done better? Yes, they need some of the more advanced mark and sweep algorithms, but those are still newish.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    Quote Originally Posted by mosdl View Post
    The issue with the Touchpad seems to be related to garbage collection issues, which comes from the multi-tasking aspect of webOS. I believe the PlayBook had these issues too from what I read.
    are you saying more memory can fix the issue? If no improvement in software aspect.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    In my experience with complex web apps, Javascript is never the issue. Browsers get faster, but it shaves a few ms which makes very little difference. Often enough network performance is what slows down webpage loading the most.

Should HP have done better? Yes, they need some of the more advanced mark and sweep algorithms, but those are still newish.
    but then why would playbook gives the same benchmark as IP-2?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    The memory issues can be fixed in the webkit engine.

Playbook reviews said that apps had slowdowns as well. The slowdowns have nothing to do with javascript speed.
    Apps: MyQ for Netflix (Phone/TouchPad), Giantbomb (Phone), Excavate (Reddit/Digg clients for TouchPad)
    fxspec06 likes this.
    I have NO clue what any of this means, but as a average consumer who has nothing but love for webOS, maybe HP needs to find some engineers who can get it right.

How can they NOT have used this and didnt notice the simple things you guys are pointing out as well as some of the early reviewers, just sad.
    Quote Originally Posted by RoverNole View Post
    I have NO clue what any of this means, but as a average consumer who has nothing but love for webOS, maybe HP needs to find some engineers who can get it right.

How can they NOT have used this and didnt notice the simple things you guys are pointing out as well as some of the early reviewers, just sad.
    Hit it right on the head. Maybe they will post an add for webkit engineer now.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    webOS always has had these slowdowns, nothing really new. Its more pronounced perhaps when dealing with the larger screen.
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Also, HP has said a OTA update is coming soon to fix alot of the issues, so we shall see
    mikevember, fxspec06 and Rnp like this.
    Also, HP has said a OTA update is coming soon to fix alot of the issues, so we shall see
    THIS makes my point in my earlier post, did they not know this before today??
    webOS always has had these slowdowns, nothing really new. Its more pronounced perhaps when dealing with the larger screen.
    I've often wondered exactly why webOS seems doomed to remain inconsistent in UX: buttery-smooth one minute, and a laggy, stuttery mess the next.

The only hardware I've owned thus far that seems to make webOS "truly happy" is the Pre2. Even my Veer, which I adore, feels like a Pre Plus at times. Does this possibly indicate that the hardware specs of Pre2 are the minimum for webOS 2.x (a relatively optimized build) to run well, or am I off-base?

Given the TouchPad's beefy hardware, is the periodic slowdown something that could go away with enough optimization?
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    no offense but this seems strangely similar to the pre- launch. HP must realize that first impressions are everything to a consumer new to your platform.
    Apparently, the Touchpad is currently the only tablet in the market using a Qualcomm processor. Does anyone know how well Snapdragon compares to Tegra 2 and OMAP4 chips at the same clockspeed?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by greenoyster View Post
    Apparently, the Touchpad is currently the only tablet in the market using a Qualcomm processor. Does anyone know how well Snapdragon compares to Tegra 2 and OMAP4 chips at the same clockspeed?
    A 1.2 GHz dual core Qualcomm Snapdragon CPU will have the same DMIPS as a 1 GHz dual core Cortex A9 CPU. Snapdragon and OMAP4 both have NEON (SIMD like Intel's SSE). Tegra 2 doesn't have NEON.
    The memory issues can be fixed in the webkit engine.

Playbook reviews said that apps had slowdowns as well. The slowdowns have nothing to do with javascript speed.
    I dont't know, it has 1G memory, I find it hard to believe garbage collector could be such an issue. I guess somebody should write a memory monitor and examine the relationship between free memory and system performance.

Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    I dont't know, it has 1G memory, I find it hard to believe garbage collector could be such an issue. I guess somebody should write a memory monitor and examine the relationship between free memory and system performance.

It depends how threaded webos apps are. If they run all on one thread it could be a issue.
    It depends how threaded webos apps are. If they run all on one thread it could be a issue.
    I wonder if the code for multi-threaded support is even in yet.

This could explain poor scores and performance problems, which an update would easily fix.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    I wonder if the code for multi-threaded support is even in yet.

This could explain poor scores and performance problems, which an update would easily fix.
    I like you, always hopeful
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    apple must be paying the benchmark to be biased
    Doubtful. As a veteran of the enterprise hardware database wars (TPC-A), a platform can be tuned to do well on a specific benchmark. The results don't mean the benchmark is reflective of a real-life usage pattern.

Still, slowdowns being reported in the reviews suggest there are either memory leaks, a garbage collection issue or both.
    Dan Donovan
    Quote Originally Posted by nappy View Post
    Does webOS use V8?
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    Thats what i heard.

---
    galaxy tab tapatalk
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    I like you, always hopeful
    like his post than!!

kkhanmd likes this.