View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567
Like Tree62Likes
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The battery life is a very interesting issue.

HP still advertises the TouchPad as having a 6300 mah battery.

HP TouchPad Tablet | HP Official(R) Site

But the teardown showed that the TouchPad as having a 6000 mah battery. I would assume that these people didn't teardown a preview unit. You only teardown something you bought outright.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    The video app is paused on purpose too. Palm intentionally made the video pause and override the default behavior. Not sure why but they did. I know this because I helped write the 'no pause video' patch.
    Able to play video in the background is very much different than able to play video in the background without stuttering.

If you have an old computer, you will notice that if you launch a big program (like Microsoft Word) --- your video in the background would stutter.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    In a controlled test by Engadget, the TouchPad basically tied with the Xoom in battery life and was SOUNDLY trounced by the iPad2.

HP TouchPad review -- Engadget

Here is a summary of some reviews.
    iSmashPhone Review Mix: HP TouchPad - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog

Battery life on the TouchPad is consistent and across the board NOT AS GOOD as the iPad2.

I don't understand why people always beat their head against a wall trying to turn facts into opinions. There are Pros and Cons to the TouchPad, and for many people, it would make a perfectly great tablet. Better than any other tablet available. There is no question in my mind about that. With just a couple dollars invested (video out, microSD slot), the TouchPad could have gone from better for some to better for a LOT. That's the tragedy here.
    Battery life on WebOs devices is horrible simply because of synergy. People never seem to understand this. I have some pre 2's that I use for development. With wifi off on standby they last easily 4 or 5 days. With wifi on and no synergy accounts. I can get similar results.

So you pay for a completely connected device with battery life. You cant say you want a always on/connected device and not expect lower than average battery life. Thats like saying you want to drive 100 miles an hour every day but get 25 miles to the gallon.
    <<thread cleansed>>

Please stay on-topic. This yet another thread comparing the TouchPad to the iPad or every other device. Please re-read first post for the thread topic.
    Global Posts
    696 Global Posts
    I responded to the survey that I was having second thoughts, but after going down to BB and playing with one I now have a 32 GB unit. Go figure.

I read a lot of reviews and my expectations were severely dropped. I was prepared for the worse, and what I got was a a tablet that is 100% more pleasant to use than the iPad.

Sure there are still some rough edges, but the really important stuff works really well. In short, the reviewers seem to have focused way too much on what was missing rather than on the things that put the TouchPad in a different league from iPad or any of the Android tablets. I guess that is alway the problem when you come along a little late in the game.
    Pilot Pro -> Pilot Vx -> Kyocera 7135 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680 -> Pre -> Pixi Plus -> Pre2 + TouchPad -> BB 9930 -> Pre3+ Playbook
    Verizon -> Cingular -> ATT -> Sprint -> Verizon -> ATT
    Quote Originally Posted by samab View Post
    HP still advertises the TouchPad as having a 6300 mah battery.

But the teardown showed that the TouchPad as having a 6000 mah battery.
    now thats a dangerous business practice. Why would HP do this? It really doesn't mean much, 6000 vs 6300, why risk being labeled dishonest?

Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    In short, the reviewers seem to have focused way too much on what was missing rather than on the things that put the TouchPad in a different league from iPad or any of the Android tablets. I guess that is alway the problem when you come along a little late in the game.
    Give yourself a week with the new baby, would ya,
    Three weeks, if you want. His opinion isn't going to change, believe me.

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad
    Newness Developments apps:

OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by clevin View Post
    now thats a dangerous business practice. Why would HP do this? It really doesn't mean much, 6000 vs 6300, why risk being labeled dishonest?
    I just realize the math.

6300/6000 = 1.05.

If batteries are rated (on the label of the battery itself) at 6000 mah --- with +/-5% variance, then the battery could be as high as 6300 mah. That's why HP used on this specific spec wording: "6300 mAh (typical) lithium-polymer battery".

But as a consumer, I don't like that kind of fuzzy math at all.
    Last edited by samab; 07/02/2011 at 09:22 AM.
    gonnawait for the TP2 personally
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567