View Poll Results: Are you still getting the TouchPad post-reviews?

Voters
270. You may not vote on this poll
  • Still Excitedly Tracking the Delivery Man!

115 42.59%
  • I'm still waiting on the 3G version, but yes.

11 4.07%
  • Having second thoughts

37 13.70%
  • I'll wait until I get some hands-on time.

37 13.70%
  • Not this TouchPad.

65 24.07%
  • I hate webOS. I'm just here to troll.

5 1.85%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    To be fair Android is as buggy if not worse than WebOS. Let's face it iOS is solid. Palm/HP have fixed many bugs but they introduced a bunch too. I'm not sure what they did to the messaging app in WebOS 2.1 but it's atrocious compared to 1.4.5.
    Palm was still putting it together, and the guys that were working on it and knew how to fix all the bugs, and which ones to fix, got fired.

Case closed.
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by shaffaaf27 View Post
    oh it must be reviewers fault. Can never be HP's poor product. 2 years later and webos is still buggy as hell.
    remember 3.0 is not just webos 2.3 even though it looks the same. The entire thing is code rewrite on enyo code w mojo apps being supported as 'compatible'. Even most if not all the basic included apps are rewritten for enyo
    as they showed in email app demo prev.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    remember 3.0 is not just webos 2.3 even though it looks the same. The entire thing is code rewrite on enyo code w mojo apps being supported as 'compatible'. Even most if not all the basic included apps are rewritten for enyo
    as they showed in email app demo prev.
    Exactly.

It's not the same old bugs, it's new ones (go ahead and quote that, but someone had to say it). They didn't want to deal with the 2.x bugs, which I can't really blame them for. They re-wrote everything. They do want to deal with these ones.

..but it's hard for some to understand [believe] I suppose.

Just be patient guys. Updates will be flowing in regularly.
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

I said it earlier in this post but I feel like it was lost in the chaos.

If you are a webOS fan, you need to try the tablet before passing judgement.
    Developer of Ultimate Hockey, netSpeed, BatteryMonitor, The Ghastly Headset,
    netSpeed HD, St4rs and Matrix Exhibition
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow my webOS projects on my blog and follow me on twitter
    Like I said before would you rather have some buggy functionality for something that doesn't exist on the ipad or no functionality at all. Case in point the messaging app. Last I checked it doesn't exist on the ipad. Flash, etc... I'm just saying.
    My counter to that would be that the messaging app, while cool in concept, is without a decent smartphone counterpart to the tablet, so it doesn't matter. And lets face it, by the time the Pre 3 comes out it'll be completely irrelevant to most people just based on the specs alone & the entire ecosystem in general. Why in God's name they didn't release a kickass all-touch "superphone" first is anyone's guess. It's basically the same slider rehash they've been trying to push (unsuccessfully I might add) for years now.

And lets face it, Flash on any mobile platform sucks & is a complete mess. Thats just not my opinion but pretty much the consensus. I've had a Galaxy Tab, a Xoom & carry a Droid Incredible in my pocket. It's NEVER been good. And from the reviews, the same can be said about Flash on the TP.

The point is, just because it has some features that are there, if they don't work (or work well) then it doesn't matter. If you release a tablet that is half-baked, then the market is gonna eat you alive simply because of the iPad is there & is healthy standing tall on all its legs (instead of hobbled over & crippled, walking with a limp & waiting on a cure that might not come).
    Quote Originally Posted by peestandingup View Post
    And lets face it, Flash on any mobile platform sucks & is a complete mess. Thats just not my opinion but pretty much the consensus. I've had a Galaxy Tab, a Xoom & carry a Droid Incredible in my pocket. It's NEVER been good. And from the reviews, the same can be said about Flash on the TP.
    Flash is pretty intense man. You can do some crazy cool things in flash, bajillion times easier than other languages.

No video out. Period. For people hoping to use the TouchPad as a laptop replacement, for a tool to display presentations or as a mobile media server, this seriously devalues the TouchPad. It's also a feature that EVERY major tablet released in the past 1.5yrs has. Even the iPad1 can do video out for some apps.

Hardware is lackluster at best. No GPS in Wifi only model. No rear camera. No HDMI out. Middle to lower screen resolution. No microSD expandable memory. A 32GB maximum storage model. Medicore battery life (being comparable to the Xoom isn't a compliment).

Reviews are showing or detailing the fact that the TouchPad stops responding and lags out from time to time, has application problems/crashes. There is still the long, long boot time, too. webOS 3.0 seems to be fairly buggy, and while maybe not as buggy as Honeycomb... that's not saying anything at all. There would be nothing exciting about the device if it were as buggy as Honeycomb. All this after Leo Apotheker was supposedly driving his developers nuts so HP could release a perfect TouchPad.

Reviews say features that were supposed to set the TouchPad apart aren't available at launch. Quick Office editing, Touch to Share (need the Veer to get an update and the Pre3? where is it?), and Touch Stone Charging dock isn't available yet.

Application options are thin, as expected, but just because the app selection is expected to suck doesn't mean it's somehow not a negative on the device. No Netflix, no camera app???, no full quick office, etc.

Couple the lackluster to poor hardware with the still buggy OS, the lack of applications, the super expensive accessories, and the premium base price, and it's really, really hard to justify buying the TouchPad for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlee2001 View Post
    I sure hope YOU are perfect. Because, apparently...being very good but imperfect = "a pile of dung" to you.

I suspect you are a bit malodorous at this point.

I KNOW your post stinks
    Perhaps.

A spade is a spade. Bad performance is bad performance, old bugs or newly introduced ones, it doesn't matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crackbone View Post
    Perhaps.

A spade is a spade. Bad performance is bad performance, old bugs or newly introduced ones, it doesn't matter.
    It does matter when the old bugs will be on zero supported devices, and the new bugs won't exist because they will have time to fix them because they're not working on a new project.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    It's not a pile of <<mod delete>>. The reviews aren't saying that both from critics and users. As Josh said there is a lot to like but HP needs to move to improve the experience. If they get an OTA update to improve the performance a lot within in a month, I'll be happy.
    That's great. I hope you are happy with your purchase, sincerely, I do.

I'm just not going to cut HP slack. They've had the OS for a year. Palm has been working on it longer than that.

There's no excuse for the types of bugginess and slowdowns that are present in this product.

HP is extremely frustrating. They have something that could be good, but they are apparently trying their damnedest to ruin it.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Hardware is lackluster at best. No GPS in Wifi only model. No rear camera. No HDMI out. Middle to lower screen resolution. No microSD expandable memory. A 32GB maximum storage model. Medicore battery life (being comparable to the Xoom isn't a compliment).
    Most reviews have said the battery life is great and what "middle to lower screen solution" compared to what?
    Global Posts
    2,060 Global Posts
    The touchpad teardown showed that it has the atheros wifi chipset with the GPS built-in.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Played with one. My initial experience with it was the same as my first time watching then using the Pre Minus.

Happiness with the OS.

Unfortunatly many of the other things were present as well. The annoying hickups that the joy I'm having using the OS makes me ignore now, but I know is going to drive me crazy in 3 months.

The severe lack of polish and missing simple, obvious, things. Something as simple as not having threaded emails baffles me. No camera app to use the front facing camera? Not even a task or calculator app that I KNOW you have at least in a basic fashion already for the OS?

The horrid lack of apps, and even more well polished apps, with no real promise of anything more than figment "hope" that they'll be coming.

The "promise" that the issues will be "fixed" or "available" shortly after launch. We're seeing the promise of "document editing" that seems AWFULY familiar. We're seeing a product with a plethora of bugs on roll out that are supposedly going to be fixed "soon".

A product that outside of the OS is generally average and has little that it can claim to be the best at.

The plasticy feel and the size as compared to the iPad2 I got as my "test tablet" while waiting for it to come out.

That's not counting some of the things that bugged me from a WebOS fanatic stand point such as the significant downsizing in the use of gestures that makes the OS the true joy it is over a long period of time to not having a good way to easily select a place in text.

Its an obviously, clearly first gen product all over again. I waited in line and bought in on day one with the Pre minus. Over the past 2 years I've, naively perhaps, held onto hope for all the "promise" and "potential" webos would have. That somehow the apps would come. That somehow I'd be able to get a better hardware while still stuck under my crappy sprint contract. That somehow touchstone would advance beyond just a charger and nothing more. That all the potential would be lived up to. All the while being increasingly and continually frustrated with a phone that has the greatest mobile OS on the market and yet is almost if not completely the bottom of the barrel in every other aspect that matters...which largely factors into my day to day usability.

I have no desire to go through this again. WebOS is no longer a first gen OS, and yet it still is launching products like it is. Is it a new company? Yes. But they don't get to use that excuse, they don't get these kind of breaks now starting into year 3. Its just no acceptable and no where near worth the same amount. The amazing OS is, to me, not worth the lack of usability, the frustration with the hiccups and limitations, the void of app support, and the year or two spent sticking with a product based on "hope" when you know for a fact there's better stuff available for it right now.

Palm taught me a lesson with the original Pre. Don't buy in at day 1 on promise alone. Review after review of the touch pad has it lacking, and my own experience with it showed all the hints to those things being true. I'm not purchasing on promise again, not on year three. I'm likely sticking with my ipad2 for the rest of the year and crossing my fingers that HP's touchpad interation next year isn't trying to play catch up with the PREVIOUS years iPad model and they fix these amateur hour issues before iOS continues to close the gap between the two respective OS's.
    Like I said before would you rather have some buggy functionality for something that doesn't exist on the ipad or no functionality at all. Case in point the messaging app. Last I checked it doesn't exist on the ipad. Flash, etc... I'm just saying.
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    Ipad is getting universal messaging when ios 5 comes out.
    Good for Apple. I'm sure HP will have all of the touchpad bugs fixed before then so it will be a moot point
    does the veer have touch to share?
    Quote Originally Posted by shingi_70 View Post
    does the veer have touch to share?
    The Veer needs an OTA update for TTS last I checked. I believe it's part of webOS 2.2.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilKell View Post
    The Veer needs an OTA update for TTS last I checked. I believe it's part of webOS 2.2.
    2.2 is correct.

I want to know where the poll option is for, "I would buy if I had the money"
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    Most reviews have said the battery life is great and what "middle to lower screen solution" compared to what?
    Most reviews I've read HAVE NOT said the battery life is great. Most reviews I've read have said the battery life was acceptable.

Screen resolution:
    Xoom 1280x800
    Galaxy 10.1 1280x800
    Playbook 1024x768 on 7" screen
    TouchPad 1024x768
    iPad2 1024x768
    Galaxy 7" 1024x700

The dpi/resolution on the TouchPad trails the current generation Android tablets, and it's even behind the Playbook in terms of dpi. These are just facts, people. I'm sorry I can't make 1+1 = 537.
    In a controlled test by Engadget, the TouchPad basically tied with the Xoom in battery life and was SOUNDLY trounced by the iPad2.

Quote Originally Posted by Engadget
    Battery life according to HP is 9 hours for continuous video playback, and in our test (WiFi on, Bluetooth off, video looping) we came close to that: just over eight and a half hours. That puts it slightly ahead of the Motorola Xoom but again behind the Tab and iPad 2. Ultimately this means the tablet will comfortably give you a day of serious use, or multiple days of more casual tapping.

Battery Life
    Apple iPad 2 10:26
    Galaxy Tab 10.1 9:55
    Apple iPad 9:33
    HP TouchPad 8:33
    Motorola Xoom 8:20
    T-Mobile G-Slate 8:18
    Archos 101 7:20
    PlayBook 7:01
    Galaxy Tab 6:09
    Dell Streak 7 3:26
    HP TouchPad review -- Engadget

Here is a summary of some reviews.
    iSmashPhone Review Mix: HP TouchPad - iSmashPhone iPhone Blog

Battery life on the TouchPad is consistent and across the board NOT AS GOOD as the iPad2.

I don't understand why people always beat their head against a wall trying to turn facts into opinions. There are Pros and Cons to the TouchPad, and for many people, it would make a perfectly great tablet. Better than any other tablet available. There is no question in my mind about that. With just a couple dollars invested (video out, microSD slot), the TouchPad could have gone from better for some to better for a LOT. That's the tragedy here.
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I like WebOS & would buy a tablet to communicate through and some note taking / portfolio management / website management for my business. Pretty much anything that DOESN'T involve actual photo processing should be fine with the TP now if not by the end of this year when I can actually afford it.

iPad is excellent for consumption & concentrating on single tasks, but webOS has always felt more analogous to a standard desktop OS in terms of multi-tasking. We're used to calling them cards, but to me they look more like what we might traditionally call windows.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast